• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

Ack!!!!

I just have just seen Pat F’N Kenny playing with a Wii on The Late Late Toy Show… I frikken hate PAT KENNY… why does he play with it first ARGH!!!!!!!!

…I will be quiet now as only people in Ireland (AKA .3% of GAF) will understand my pain

Pay Kenny you shit, you are a censor!

meppi

Annoying Old Party Man said:
I just spent two hours with my pal wii:D
No Zelda till Monday though. Wii Sports ROCKS!!
Is there an option in the system menu to set the display mode to 60Hz or is it still on a game by game basis?

Setanta said:
Better than Gay Byrne!!

Oh dear god no, Pat Kenny has the charisma of a wall. Most boring interviewer ever. Was it the toy show one tonight seeing as though the Wii was on it? Was it any good Keyser?

meppi

Hmm, well at least that's something. Nintendo's GC games always ased if they should boot up in 50 or 60Hz except the early ones. (And the 2 60Hz only ones)

Chibbi Brady said:
Was it any good Keyser?

He only "played" the boxing part of Wii sports but everything seem to work well.... I say "played" as i think he had it set to two players but he was the only one with the controllers so the game did not look that intresting to those who watched. He really needed to make his own Mii and take on someone that would have interested more people. He did call it "the big game for this Christmas" though.

He threw a few punches but for some reason stood right up next to the screen - like only a foot away. I was sure the sensors were not going to work as the place is filled with LOADS of bright lights but even he was able to pull a few punches.

Afterward he moved on the DS Lite and called it “the Lite version of the Nintendo" ... I laughed at that and then he moved onto something about PS2 which seemed boring so I went back to the Interweb as that’s was all of Pat Kenny I could stand for one year.

dock

middle1.jpg

Gamestation just sent me my pre-order code, and also mentioned that they have software bundle options. These are awesome, I'm going to save £30 off my original purchase plans (I had planned to buy three games + wii play). A few friends are coming along with me to the midnight launch to pick up my order, it should be great fun.

I don't think GT Pro and Monster 4x4 are even worth £20 though. ^^

painey

I love 10% discounts :) £162 for my Wii and getting it on launch. I wish the VC games were cheaper though because I want Ecco the Dolphin but 800 points is too much to pay.

123rl

dock UK said:
middle1.jpg

Gamestation just sent me my pre-order code, and also mentioned that they have software bundle options. These are awesome, I'm going to save £30 off my original purchase plans (I had planned to buy three games + wii play). A few friends are coming along with me to the midnight launch to pick up my order, it should be great fun.

£240 bundle for me - Zelda plus Monkey Ball FTW :D

Singho

Hmmm, Combo 2 sounds good. Cant think of a 3rd game to get tbh. So its Zelda and Monkey Ball for me. :)

Hopefully I can get one at launch night from Birmingham Gamestation, but I have not heard from them yet. :(

dock UK said:
middle1.jpg

ooh, thats nice. Combo 2 sounds good enough for me, Zelda and Wiiplay :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Singho said:
Hmmm, Combo 2 sounds good. Cant think of a 3rd game to get tbh. So its Zelda and Monkey Ball for me. :)

Hopefully I can get one at launch night from Birmingham Gamestation, but I have not heard from them yet. :(

Zelda, monkey ball, Raving Rabbids for combo 3, then Wii play separately.

Shame I have my preorder at GAME. and my local gamestation closed down so they probably won't have an offer on.

Aurora

This is getting very annoying. NoE aren't replying to my emails and HMV seem to be oblivious to the midnight launch they're holding in a few days' time...

I guess what I can do is just go to the store early afternoon on Thursday and ask them whether or not I'll be able to get a Wii without a pre-order that night.

Aurora said:
This is getting very annoying. NoE aren't replying to my emails and HMV seem to be oblivious to the midnight launch they're holding in a few days' time...

I guess what I can do is just go to the store early afternoon on Thursday and ask them whether or not I'll be able to get a Wii without a pre-order that night.

I imagine you'll hit the queue before you get into the store. Internally they're expecting the 125 they have to be accounted for well before mid-day.

Aurora

Wrestlemania said:
I imagine you'll hit the queue before you get into the store. Internally they're expecting the 125 they have to be accounted for well before mid-day.
What does that 125 entail? The amount of units available for the midnight launch?

Singho said:

Which one, New St or Pallasades? New St's store emailed me this morning. I rang up and they were a little tentative about letting me pre-order any games though, despite the email suggesting it.

Naturally New St will have a ton more than the Pallasades store. In fact, pound for pound it will probably have the largest number of units, given its the biggest GS in the country, from what I've heard.

Aurora

AdamChrisH said:
Apparently HMV Oxford St has 125 Wii's to sell without pre-orders.
Oh right, thanks very much.

Would you happen to have a link or some kind of source?

It's pretty amazing that HMV.co.uk mentions nothing of this launch...

123rl

MrPonx said:
Get Rayman

EDIT: With Monkey Ball not instead

I'm not sure if I want Monkey Ball. I think I'm just hoping that it'll really be as good as I expect. If it's not though then I might get Rayman instead because I know I'll enjoy that

Aurora said:
Oh right, thanks very much.

Would you happen to have a link or some kind of source?

It's pretty amazing that HMV.co.uk mentions nothing of this launch...
http://*****.com/article/11239/Nintendo+Announces+Details+of+UK+Wii+Launch?cb=519

Though it's worth noting that thier PR guy said it was 125 unaccounted for Wii's, they could either be downplaying it to create a huge event, but at the same time that could discourage people from turning up.

But yeah, Nintendo and HMV don't even seem aware that they're having launches. I e-mailed Nintendo and they were completely oblivious. I'd love to go to Oxford St in the evening and pick one up, but um, I'm a lazy bastard and really can't be arsed queuing for half the day. I just wanna be able to walk into a store and pick one up. Is that too much to ask for!

EDIT: Oops, didn't realise I couldn't um have the word 's pong' in the URL. ;)

Bert

is that Gamestation deal online only or in store as well? Cos I'd budgeted £300 for Wii+zelda+SMB+Wii Play, but if I can pick up combo 3 I can get another game as well.

Does anyone know if Madden is a luanch title? I'd heard rumours that it's not coming out in Europe...

Aurora

Great King Bowser said:
Hmm. Might see you there Aurora.

If you're 125th in line i'm taking you down. :lol
Ha, not that we'll know what each other looks like. :p

What time are you planning on going?

Aurora

4.30 is quite a stretch. Doors will have been open for 7.5 hours already. :/

Still, arriving at 4.30 is almost 8 hours before the actual launch and there will be at least 125 units. It could work.

I'm not sure what time I'll get there, but if there are already more than 150 people I'm going home.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Yeah it's not that much hassle for me to show up and check then just go home. Unless you'd be awesome and text me at 4.30 if you're already there. :lol

ape2man

Just want to add for the dutch guys here, A lot of stores dont give a **** about the street date and wil sell them when they have them. Almost all the stores are resupplied on thursday's and fridaysso you can expect stores to sell the system as early as 4/5 december.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
painey said:
plasiamn4.jpg

my Component cables arent ready to ship :( I want them for launch :(

mine's 'preparing order'. Does that mean they'll ship soon? They are showing out of stock in the main store for the cables.

Although I only have four inputs on my switcher and all taken up (360, PS3, DVD, SkyHD). Not sure whether to just go SCART direct into the telly and be done with it - my switcher goes to the projector too and I doubt I'd ever play the wii on there, it'll look bad enough on my TV.

painey

if its ticked on your order its ready to ship, as you can see from mine the order is waiting on the component cables :(

GAME in Liverpool told my friend they're expecting Component Cables in tomorrows delivery...

they're calling those who pre-ordered up, asking what they want with the system, and having it all bagged up in advance! :O

Pretty nice service there!

Screenboy

I thought i'd test the water abit yesturday when I tried to pre order a Wii this late..all alocations have gone.

Looks like im gunna have to go for my plan b...

Yeah, just now my copy of CoD3 arrived....though i wont have a Wii until friday XD
Im so hyped right now...even if it´s only CoD3 ^^

meppi

Well I just got a call from my store that guaranteed my Wii will arrive on Thursday. :D

Best off all, I got Friday off from work too. Woohoo!

Glad it's finally 100% confirmed since wherever I look, everyone seems to be looking for one but can't find any more systems to order.
Sure you can still preorder one, but that's for the 2nd or 3rd shipment.

r4z4

Just spoke with GAME Oxford Street, they confirmed I can come and pick-up my Wii on Friday, they were kind enough to ask me what else I wanted so they could have it bagged and ready.

I'll be picking it up with Zelda, WiiPlay and an extra Nunchuck.

Suerte

I'm going to try my luck at some 24 hour Tesco's on Thursday night, my flatmate works for them so we'll get 10% off :D

kojacker

Can someone sum up what we think will happen on launch day, will it sell out or should there be enough in the stores? I'm about to cancel my pre-order, but I'd rather keep it and pass it on if i thought someone might miss out.

Top Bottom