• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware 4.0: SD and SDHC Card menu confirmed! Already Installed HBC is safe!

Linkup

pakkit said:
I don't understand why you all are searching out 32GB cards.

12 channel max per page

x

20 pages = 240 slots

240 slots x 40MB maximum = 9,800 MB = 9.6 GB

If you're using it for other purposes, great, but if you're getting a storage solution exclusively for your Wii, 32GB is several gigabytes overboard.

Any particular reason you believe they won't increase the channel limit?

Christine

Cheesemeister said:
Maybe you missed this part: Even at $5 each, it would take a minimum of $1200 to buy 240 channels.

Exactly. If you can afford to buy that many channels, you can afford more than one SD card. Or even more than one Wii :p

swerve

pakkit said:
I don't understand why you all are searching out 32GB cards.

If you're using it for other purposes, great, but if you're getting a storage solution exclusively for your Wii, 32GB is several gigabytes overboard.

Well, it can be a storage solution for both Wii and DSi, and it isn't just used for games, it's also for photos (including those going onto the FujiFilm Print Channel, which have to be higher res than those in the standard photo channel).

There's good reason for me to have as much capacity as possible in my Wii.

But yeah, 16Gb would be adequate :)

gkrykewy said:
Wow, 32GB cards are expensive too! ($60-80 on newegg).

32 gig cards should not be a consideration for Wii-exclusive use, as even if all 240 channels are at the 40 meg limit, it'll only take up just over 9 gigs. Really, 1-2 gigs is gravy.

pakkit

Banned
Linkup said:
Any particular reason you believe they won't increase the channel limit?
They might increase it slightly, but with games already scraping 400 blocks in size, I really doubt Nintendo would bump it up that much. Keep in mind that there are already non-essential channels that many people have, and you have to have a certain amount of free memory on your Wii to play any games so if a new game took 100 MB (or 800 blocks) you'd have to have 800 blocks freed up on your Wii console.

Linkup

Cheesemeister said:
Maybe you missed this part: Even at $5 each, it would take a minimum of $1200 to buy 240 channels.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't/don't understand why that's important. I'm just not making the connection between the 5$, minimum of $1200, and buying 240 channels. Regardless, a 32gb SD card does seems pointless.

Great news for those waiting for this, which means LostWinds and World of Goo are now playable, conveniently.

loosus

Banned
Normally, faster SD cards yield better performance.

Is this true with the Wii? I know it should be, but you know how Nintendo is.

Linkup said:
I didn't miss it, I just didn't/don't understand why that's important. I'm just not making the connection between the 5$, minimum of $1200, and buying 240 channels. Regardless, a 32gb SD card does seems pointless.

The point is, there's no need to increase the channel limit over 240.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
loosus said:
Normally, faster SD cards yield better performance.

Is this true with the Wii? I know it should be, but you know how Nintendo is.
it doesn't matter. the game is copied over to the system memory. a faster card might mean the game loads up in 10 seconds instead of 15, but does that really matter? Once the game loads, it is running from system memory so it plays the exact same.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Linkup said:

The connection is that Cheesemeister is demonstrating just how unlikely people are to need the kind of space they're talking about needing.

DLC, presuming it will run off the SD cards in the future (Space Invaders' doesn't, and Rock Band 2 won't use the SDHC cards) wouldn't count toward the channel limit, would it?

borghe

Kulock said:
DLC, presuming it will run off the SD cards in the future (Space Invaders' doesn't, and Rock Band 2 won't use the SDHC cards) wouldn't count toward the channel limit, would it?
no. channels are a fictitious thing. If you have a 128MB card or a 32GB card, you still have 240 channels on the menu. Blocks on the other hand are what matter in this case. And being that saves take up blocks and not channels, in theory you could go above the 9.8GB proposed by cheese it you have 240 40MB channels plus additional game saves or DLC.

and for the record, devs CAN use the SDHC cards. However existing disc-based games are SOL. But Space Invaders should for example be able to do like RB2 and GHWT and look for the DLC on the SD card and if it finds it temporarily load it on to the system memory. of course it would require them to update the game and you would have to download the updated version.

Kulock said:

No because DLC are downloaded files and appear on your Wii system memory as save files, not channels.

Basically, if you go to Memory Management->Wii->Channel Data then anything in there can count towards using up spaces in the SD card/Wii Main menu.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I know the old Wii firmware didn't support 32GB, but I thought it supported 4 with SDHC? Am I wrong?

borghe

yes. the old firmware was SD only. Some 4GB cards were recognized in it, but not SDHC ones. and to use the non-SDHC > 2GB cards you had to always use a buffer of files to take the available space below 2GB or else you couldn't write to it.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Considering that Nintendo may come out with a movie and/or music player, and might allow for downloadable games which take up a lot more memory in the future, having more memory will be needed. Remember what we all said when MS said they were including a 20GB HDD in the xbox.

beje

Banned
Dacvak said:
I know the old Wii firmware didn't support 32GB, but I thought it supported 4 with SDHC? Am I wrong?

It supported non-standard (this means, neither SDHC nor normal SD) 4GB cards, but you had to make some techie stuff to them to make the whole 4GB visible to the Wii.

Having tried this, the biggest problem... is that it wasn't done two years ago. Works nice. No longer will I get a new game, give it proper play for a couple weeks, then have to hide it away to make room for the new hotness.

Though the Wii Menu's lack of something like folders is a bit more an issue when there are 20 pages instead of 4. Even something like having the pages be in a 5x4 grid rather than 20x1 might be better. As is, I've got major categories on pages 1/3/5/7/9/11/13, allowing for growth of each category into the next page without needing major reorganization. However, it's a bit of a trek down to the WiiWare games on page 11 and Arcade games on page 13.

EDIT: Also, many times over the years I've heard people wish that at some arbitrary speech or press conference some new feature/game would be announced and people would be informed that it's available NOW. That always seemed a bit overly dramatic to me, but this time it actually happened. Has it happened before?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
EDIT: Also, many times over the years I've heard people wish that at some arbitrary speech or press conference some new feature/game would be announced and people would be informed that it's available NOW. That always seemed a bit overly dramatic to me, but this time it actually happened. Has it happened before?

As far as Nintendo goes: not as far as I know. I guess they took a page from Steve Jobs' playbook.

tim1138

JoshuaJSlone said:

Didn't that happen when Sega announced the Saturn for the US?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Cheesemeister said:
32 gig cards should not be a consideration for Wii-exclusive use, as even if all 240 channels are at the 40 meg limit, it'll only take up just over 9 gigs. Really, 1-2 gigs is gravy.
Maybe that's true for channels, but what about things like DLC and custom soundtracks? I know I've got songs on there for Guitar Hero: World Tour and EXCITE! Rock Band 2 (I think) can store DLC on the SD card as well.

Christine

JoshuaJSlone said:
Though the Wii Menu's lack of something like folders is a bit more an issue when there are 20 pages instead of 4. Even something like having the pages be in a 5x4 grid rather than 20x1 might be better. As is, I've got major categories on pages 1/3/5/7/9/11/13, allowing for growth of each category into the next page without needing major reorganization. However, it's a bit of a trek down to the WiiWare games on page 11 and Arcade games on page 13.

One thing that should help a tiny bit is that you can start paging as soon as you see the 'Loading data from SD card message', you don't have to wait for the channel icons to load.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Has it happened before?

Sega had a press conference where they were to announce the release date of the Saturn. Everyone, developers as well as press, was thinking it would launch months and months later, but the Sega dude went "Oh, and it's out NOW! Like right now!".

Turns out they had secretly shipped the console out to retailers the day before, and with a super shitty line-up of games internally developed at Sega.

It did not go over well with developers, and the rest, as they say, is history.

FoxHimself said:
Sega had a press conference where they were to announce the release date of the Saturn. Everyone, developers as well as press, was thinking it would launch months and months later, but the Sega dude went "Oh, and it's out NOW! Like right now!".

Turns out they had secretly shipped the console out to retailers the day before, and with a super shitty line-up of games internally developed at Sega.

It didn't help, though, that Sony basically undercut Sega's pricetag at the following press conference at that E3. "Saturn...available now! $399!" loses a bit of luster when their competition comes back with "$299!" a few hours later.

Further hurting the whole deal was that Sega's stock was so low that Sony still had a higher installed base in North America at launch. Sega was left in an awkward position because they had launched early to essentially no benefit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I wish the VC had more/better NeoGeo games avaliable. I might get King of Monsters.

Htown said:
Maybe that's true for channels, but what about things like DLC and custom soundtracks? I know I've got songs on there for Guitar Hero: World Tour and EXCITE! Rock Band 2 (I think) can store DLC on the SD card as well.
Do those games even support SDHC?

Vilix said:
I wish the VC had more/better NeoGeo games avaliable. I might get King of Monsters.
Maybe I'm being way too optimistic, but I think the storage solution may get third parties off their butts when it comes to VC releases.

markatisu

Buttseckslol said:
Do those games even support SDHC?

Maybe I'm being way too optimistic, but I think the storage solution may get third parties off their butts when it comes to VC releases.

Excite does not (it was tested by 1 gaffer), nobody has tried GHWT or RB2

I would think out of the 3 at least the 2 rhythm games would only because they already use almost the exact same method for their DLC and its not too hard to imagine they built in the ability to read SDHC alongside a firmware update

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
It doesn't work this way. Unless those games already had SDHC support from the get go (and if this was the case we'd have reports by now), it can't be added with a firmware update because they would keep using the older IOS they were designed for. This unless the games themselves get patched (and I doubt they can, AFAIK only CoD: WaW supports updates).

Cipherr

FoxHimself said:

Thank you so much, huge sega fan but never knew this. Wow.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
beje said:
It supported non-standard (this means, neither SDHC nor normal SD) 4GB cards, but you had to make some techie stuff to them to make the whole 4GB visible to the Wii.

How do I do that? I have a non-SDHC 4 gig.

markatisu

Jocchan said:
It doesn't work this way. Unless those games already had SDHC support from the get go (and if this was the case we'd have reports by now), it can't be added with a firmware update because they would keep using the older IOS they were designed for. This unless the games themselves get patched (and I doubt they can, AFAIK only CoD: WaW supports updates).

Well I do know Rock Band 2 required a special IOS but I think that was more for its instruments. It just seems too coincidental that both GHWT and RB2 use almost the exact same method and yet would not have the framework for SDHC, then again they are dealing with Nintendo and history has not been kind in that regard to them sharing info.

There is a lot of discussion about RB2 over that the Rock Band forums, apparently nobody owns SDHC cards seems to be the conclusion they are reaching :lol

Though some have gotten 4gb SDHC cards to work, some kind of padding that apparently tricks the system or something. But none larger

FoxHimself said:

Whoa, now. Let's not go too far. Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon were NOT shitty games, much less super-shitty. At the time they were actually quite awesome. Daytona was also fun at the time but in hindsight was a bad port. BUT you could rip the awesome soundtrack using a standard CD-Rom so I forgave it. The REAL problem was it was MONTHS before any kind of steady stream of games was reached.

But really Saturn for me was mostly about the Capcom 2D goodness. It's why I played it far more than the PSX that gen.

antispin

Does this also work with channels? Can I launch a channel directly from SD? what about the Opera browser? Is that SD launchable?

PSGames

The title states already installed HBC is ok but what if I never installed it updated to 4.0 but now want to give it a try? Am I SOL?

Aeana

PSGames said:
The title states already installed HBC is ok but what if I never installed it updated to 4.0 but now want to give it a try? Am I SOL?
For now, yes. They said they know of other exploits, though, so they should probably be releasing info on that eventually.

PSGames

Thanks for the quick response. So there's no way to downgrade my firmware do the exploit and then update it again?

antispin said:
Does this also work with channels? Can I launch a channel directly from SD? what about the Opera browser? Is that SD launchable?
VC and WiiWare games are channels, too. The only things that can't be moved to the SD card are the few launch-era ones that are made to use the system space we can't access.
PSGames said:
So there's no way to downgrade my firmware do the exploit and then update it again?
Wording it this way sounds a bit jackassy, but: If one could do that, then we would have an exploit for 4.0.

Yes Boss!

Cheesemeister said:
The point is, there's no need to increase the channel limit over 240.

There most certainly is! I'm at about 110 channels occupied on my SD card and I'm definitely going to hit the 240 threshold in the next two to three years.

Yes Boss! said:
There most certainly is! I'm at about 110 channels occupied on my SD card and I'm definitely going to hit the 240 threshold in the next two to three years.
In that case we'll probably find it quicker to switch SD cards than to scroll to page 37. :)

Yes Boss!

JoshuaJSlone said:
In that case we'll probably find it quicker to switch SD cards than to scroll to page 37. :)

I've a feeling 240 channels is just about perfect for the biggest collectors for a five-year anticipated lifespan. In 2 and 1/2 years I'm not even to half-full but I'm definitely anticipating a ramp-up on Wiiware purchases in the coming two to three years.

That said, I'm only using about a 1 gig of my 2 gig card which makes me wonder why nintendo opened it up to 32.

Top Bottom