• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware 4.0: SD and SDHC Card menu confirmed! Already Installed HBC is safe!

GaussTek said:
What the hell?

That is optional, right? I mean, Is there an option to move just whatever you want?

Of course. You get several options:

"Go to memory management"

"Move things that are to the right on the Wii Menu" (things you have in the rightmost slide)
"Move things that uses a lot of blocks"
"Move things that uses few blocks"

I chose the last one, and was presented with a list of channels/games the Wii wanted to move, but I just skimmed through it and didn't spot the Homebrew channel, so it was moved as well.

bryehn

Just bought Mappy and downloaded directly to SD :D

No Space Harrier here :/

Windu said:
don't think so. But do you really need that much?

I've got 70+ VC and WW titles and they barely eat up 650 MB. I honestly don't think I'll need more than 2 GB in there. 4 GB if they raise the WW limit now maybe.

Ranger X

Ridley327 said:
I posted this in the other thread, but it's important enough to mention here, as well.

Not sure I follow.
When you play a VC game from the SDcard, its image is saved on the Wii system memory is that it? And the image of that game or any other coming from the SDcard is the same file right?

Now I would need to know wich size this file can get and if it uses up the user partition of the Wii system memory.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
This is actually...pretty cool. :O Given the nature of the Wii's storage, I think this is the best we could have hoped for.

Fridge jokes are now obsolete?

alex1893

Ranger X said:
Not sure I follow.
When you play a VC game from the SDcard, its image is saved on the Wii system memory is that it? And the image of that game or any other coming from the SDcard is the same file right?

Now I would need to know wich size this file can get and if it uses up the user partition of the Wii system memory.

the image is the same size as the game you choose and it won't grow.

If you choose a new game, the old image is replaced by the new one. If you start the same game from SD again, there's no loading time because the image is already there.

Oh, and HBC working here too... but good to know that you must not move the channel anywhere.

d+pad

Honestly, as nice as the storage solution is, what I really care about is Virtual Console Arcade. I'm VERY happy to hear Namco, Seag and Taito are on board. Hopefully that means we'll get Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Bubble Bobble eventually. Oh, and some Nintendo classics, too: Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr....

Posted again for good measure

Don't SDHC cards feature faster loading times than standard SD Cards? Has anyone tried one? How much faster are they?

Ridley327

Yeah, that was my screw up. I re-clarified it in the other thread now and there's really nothing to complain about with the solution they went with.

THE FRIDGE IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE KING and all that.

Ranger X said:
Not sure I follow.

If you run a game that's 300 blocks, it'll move the game over to a cache file in the Wiis memory. Then, if you run a game that's 46 blocks, it'll delete the old one and create a new cache file for the old game.

Basically, you only need room for the game you're playing. Or if you want to always have enough room, clear up as much room as the biggest game out there is.

But I'm not sure why you'd want any VC games on the Wii memory now that you can just run them off the SD card, so to speak.

alex1893 said:
the image is the same size as the game you choose and it won't grow.

If you choose a new game, the old image is replaced by the new one. If you start the same game from SD again, there's no loading time because the image is already there.

Oh, and HBC working here too... but good to know that you must not move the channel anywhere.

Some apps are apparently broken. I'm waiting.

zigg

Ridley327 said:
As long as it's the last channel you loaded, it does not need to reload the channel at all. Rejoice!

Now that I've finally figured it all out, this does seem to be an adequate solution and will work pretty damn well.

Good to hear. That basically kills Flash wear worries, honestly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Nuclear Muffin said:

Don't SDHC cards feature faster loading times than standard SD Cards? Has anyone tried one? How much faster are they?
doesn't seem to matter. It doesn't appear that the Wii is doing an actual straight up copy before playing. People in other threads are saying that on their SD card an N64 game could take a minute or more to copy to the Wii, and playing from SD card it loads up in a few seconds.

gifife

Anyone that has downloaded an arcade game, can you tell if they save the highscores and stuff as a save state(exiting to Wii menu) or is it just a normal save file that is always loaded.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Kulock said:
I bought that brand for cheap at a Big Lots, and while it works fine in my Wii, I can't get it to work in my PC at all. My PC's a bit older, but it's the only SD card I've ever run into with that problem, so just a warning if that matters to you at all.
Yeah I don't need it for my PC so no worries. (don't even have any kind of reader for my PC anyway). But yeah, its cheap and it supposed to work on the Wii, thats all I can ask for.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Also, Virtual Console Arcade came out of absolutely nowhere, but I'm delighted to see it. Now all I need is for Capcom to get on board with it. :D

If Taito is releasing games for it, I want every Bubble Bobble-related game. I will buy them all most of them.

borghe said:
doesn't seem to matter. It doesn't appear that the Wii is doing an actual straight up copy before playing. People in other threads are saying that on their SD card an N64 game could take a minute or more to copy to the Wii, and playing from SD card it loads up in a few seconds.

That was before the last update before this one. What I want to know is if SDHC cards load faster with the new 4.0 update than the old SD Cards (Should do since I believe their Read/write speeds are faster)

FoxHimself said:
Just did the Wii update, and it has added an SD Card menu on the menu. Gonna get some pictures soon! EXCITE!

Edit:

- Support for up to 32GB SDHC cards confirmed.

- Adds an SD Card menu accessible from the Wii Menu. STORAGE SOLUTION!

- Games transfered to the SD Card can basically be played from the SD Card. They are transfered to the Wii Memory before play, and deleted afterwards. An N64 game takes about ten seconds to load! If you don't have enough room on the Wii Memory, there's an automatic feature that'll transfer games to the SD card for you.

If you have played a game through the SD Card, and play it again later without loading something else off the card, you won't need to preload the game (meaning the few second load isn't there).

This means there's next to no reason to have VC games on the Wii Memory.

- You can download games directly from Wii Shop to the SD card.

THANK YOU! THANK GOD NINTENDO! THANK GOD!

Now all you have to do is fix the online and beef up your VC releases and I'll be satisfied.

FoxHimself said:
- The updates adds a "Virtual Console Arcade" menu in Wii Shop, contains a few Arcade games.

Damn this COULD be awesome. What games could be released on there? "The Lost World"? "Marvel vs Capcom"? "The Simpsons Arcade"?

aparisi2274

Have a quick question for the people that updated to 4.0.

Can I just take my existing VC games that are currently taking up residence on my wii memory (and on the wii home screen) and drag them to the SD card icon that is now at the bottom? Or do I need to delete them all and re-download them to the SD card?

Thanks

aparisi2274 said:
Have a quick question for the people that updated to 4.0.

Can I just take my existing VC games that are currently taking up residence on my wii memory (and on the wii home screen) and drag them to the SD card icon that is now at the bottom? Or do I need to delete them all and re-download them to the SD card?

Thanks

Uh, just go into the Channel options and move each game to the SD card.

Ranger X

FoxHimself said:
If you run a game that's 300 blocks, it'll move the game over to a cache file in the Wiis memory. Then, if you run a game that's 46 blocks, it'll delete the old one and create a new cache file for the old game.

Basically, you only need room for the game you're playing. Or if you want to always have enough room, clear up as much room as the biggest game out there is.

But I'm not sure why you'd want any VC games on the Wii memory now that you can just run them off the SD card, so to speak.

My worry was about losing my game image if I start a different game from the SDcard.
So far what i understand is this:

There's 2 things. There's a cache for the game you're loading from the SDcard (fine, no prob). This cache is cleared when you start a different game. And then there's the game image and this one isn't cleared when you start a different game right? I want to be able to hot seat between games on my SDcard just like I can do it from the Wii memory.

JohnsonUT

I haven't really followed Wii storage issues in the past. Are the games saves part of the rom file? For example, copying from Wii to SD copies the saves too? And loading from the SD now updates the SD's save files?

JohnsonUT said:
I haven't really followed Wii storage issues in the past. Are the games saves part of the rom file? For example, copying from Wii to SD copies the saves too? And loading from the SD now updates the SD's save files?

They're separate. The games themselves are "channels" while the save data is under "Save Data" stuff.

JohnsonUT

Dragona Akehi said:
They're separate. The games themselves are "channels" while the save data is under "Save Data" stuff.

I am guessing then that this save data is pretty small except for a few rare games?

EDIT: For VC games.

d+pad said:
Honestly, as nice as the storage solution is, what I really care about is Virtual Console Arcade. I'm VERY happy to hear Namco, Seag and Taito are on board. Hopefully that means we'll get Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug and Bubble Bobble eventually. Oh, and some Nintendo classics, too: Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr....

With Taito on board, we need Layer Section on the VC.

JohnsonUT said:
I am guessing then that this save data is pretty small except for a few rare games?

Yes. Essentially once there's a safe wiibrew workaround I'm going to store ALL VC/Wiiware games on the SD cards and use the Wii's memory just for save data. I think that's the intention of this update.

I can finally buy the Strongbad games!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
JohnsonUT said:

yes, they are all like 1 block files. the only ones this wouldn't be true for would be N64 games, but being they don't support save states they don't have those files.

The console in Virtual Console Arcade seems a bit superfluous, but that's a pretty tiny complaint.
frankie_baby said:
hopefully nintendo will relax th wiiware size limit a bit now
They still couldn't do it too much, since it still needs to fit on the system memory and leave enough room for all the save files. Maybe doubling the limit would be acceptable? *shrug*

Minsc

Gold Member
zigg said:
Good to hear. That basically kills Flash wear worries, honestly.

Um, reading of a SD card doesn't hurt it, nor does writing to one. It's just erasing data from SD, of which, most commercial cards can handle 100,000 erases per sector. So if you buy a 32 GB card, and use only 1/4th of it at most, you get 4x the life out of it, which would be at least 400,000 days worth of erasing one game a day, or about 1,100 years.

Do you plan on living for 1,100 years? If so, then perhaps you should back up your flash memory :lol

Edit: Furthermore, the Wii's system memory is flash memory anyway, so if you are really worried about your memory stick, rest assured your Wii itself will go bad long, long before your SD card, as it is accessed much more frequently.

Just downloaded the update, messed around with the SC channels, bought a game that I downloaded directly to the card... everything works flawlessly! Good job Nintendo. WAY overdue, but good job nonetheless!

HoTHiTTeR

I got the 4.0 update, but when I go to the Wii shop it says i need another update...so I try to download one and I get this..

Error Code: 32017
Please try your connection again later

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers appear to be down for maintenance. Please try your connection again later.

Thoughts?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
HoTHiTTeR said:
I got the 4.0 update, but when I go to the Wii shop it says i need another update...so I try to download one and I get this..

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection servers appear to be down for maintenance. Please try your connection again later.

Thoughts?
Try again later, the Wi-Fi Connection servers appaer to be down for maintenance.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
HoTHiTTeR said:

Thoughts?

Servers are getting hammered with people d-ling the update, or...

Fireye

Nuclear Muffin said:

SDHC cards should be just as fast as normal SD cards. An easy measurement (though not always accurate) is to note the Class of SD card that you purchase. For example, a Class6 SDHC card will do 6MB/s. A more detailed listing can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#Speeds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SD_Speed_Class_Ratings

Top Bottom