• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
EphemeralDream said:
Settings
-Warning added pre-system update detailing that technically modified consoles may cease to function upon being updated. Also the only way to not accept an update is to power down the console by holding the button for 4 seconds (the user can't back out of hitting I Accept w/o powering down)
-Ability to quickly scroll the different options pages using the +,- keys (Myke Greywolf)
-Blue disc light lights up when inserting or removing a game (thefro)
-Light also comes on when starting the Forecast or News Channels (CreatureX3)

I was this ][ close to altering my Wii. I think I'll wait 'till I have a 2nd one. :|

hirokazu

bigmakstudios said:
>_>
please reply.

pics please?? and the people who mention the clock in the Wii mention is in 12 hour format... how did you set it to do that??

also i'm pretty sure the asterisks for password fields was added in the previous update for PAL as well, thought it might've waited a sec or so before converting a character into an asterisk before.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Unless you want to lose resolution on the image, you pretty much do.

That site is wrong though... at least with the component cable, the system is outputting 720x480, not 640x480, so unless the system switches to 640x480 output for VC for some reason, i don't see why it'd be a loss of resolution to only render VC games to 640 of the 720 horizontal pixels and thus have correct aspect ratio when the user has select 16:9 in their Wii settings. they're just being lazy.

Also, every VC console before N64 rendered stuff at tiny resolutions in the first place...

pitt_norton

Mejilan said:
I'm using a wired connection with Nintendo's official LAN Adapter, and I've had no connectivity issues post-update. Or pre-update, for that matter. Hell, once I upgraded to a wired connection, performance only increased.

Weird. I've had no issues until this update.

Nintendo's official word:

"Feature additions on your Wii console when it is updated to version 3 from version 2:

Wii Menu
The weather forecast will now be displayed on the Forecast Channel icon in the Wii Menu.
Headline news will now be displayed on the News Channel icon in the Wii Menu.
The current time will now be displayed in the Wii Menu.
The area around the Wii Message Board button will now flash when a message arrives.

Wii Message Board
You're now able to rearrange the order of your Wii Friends in the address book.
You're now able to go into the Wii Friends registration screen by pressing the A Button on a blank spot in the address book.
Envelope message icons will now appear on the calendar only on the dates when a message is received.
Your message sending history will now be displayed in Today's Accomplishments.
You can now scroll the message text by pressing the B button on the message screen.

Wii Shop Channel
The search function on Virtual Console has been enhanced."

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Scrubking said:
So has the 'standby' mode fan been totally confirmed/debunked yet?
Same question here - really interested in this one since my launch Wii ended up dying.

Verve

MiketheBSG said:
Looks like no one has checked this out. I will also make a thread regarding this as I feel this means major communication upgrades to the Wii in the future.

The Wii now features keyboard support in the Wii Message Board and the updated Wii Shop Channel.

what? great! i hate pointing on the on-screen-keyboard. finally all the messaging-stuff becomes useful... have to try it when i come home today.

and immediately i start dreaming of keyboard support in games... PSO or... something. i just want some form of communication in online games that doesn't mean predefined sentences by pressing buttons our pointing on the screen for an hour ^^

Keyboard is great, tested it! Works fine! Now I'm looking for a decent small wireless keyboard ;)

Just think about the WiiMote-Keyboard Combination in Games! AWESOME

hirokazu said:
That site is wrong though... at least with the component cable, the system is outputting 720x480, not 640x480, so unless the system switches to 640x480 output for VC for some reason, i don't see why it'd be a loss of resolution to only render VC games to 640 of the 720 horizontal pixels and thus have correct aspect ratio when the user has select 16:9 in their Wii settings. they're just being lazy.
Regardless of whether it's width 640 or 720 or something else, the point is it's the same regardless of whether it's 4:3 or 16:9. To give the appearance of an image using a 4:3 portion of a 16:9 screen, it's only going to be using 75% of whatever width is output.
Also, every VC console before N64 rendered stuff at tiny resolutions in the first place...
It's still going to harm image quality to needlessly put them through extra resizing.

kkg1701

Hum, does anyone else in Europe have problems with Datel's LAN adapter?

I can't access the shop channel or the News channel (internet, sending messages and weather are fine though). The weird thing is the News channel do work with WiiConnect24 (I can see headlines, but not enter the channel).

For both channels I get Error: 51420 (can't seem to find any real info on that error though).

KK

deepred

kkg1701 said:

I can't access the shop channel or the News channel (internet, sending messages and weather are fine though). The weird thing is the News channel do work with WiiConnect24 (I can see headlines, but not enter the channel).

For both channels I get Error: 51420 (can't seem to find any real info on that error though).

KK
I'm not sure but I think you can't access the news channel today in Europe (they're updating stuff I suppose).

kkg1701

deepred said:
I'm not sure but I think you can't access the news channel today in Europe (they're updating stuff I suppose).

Hope that's it, would be really irritating to not be able to buy old games I'd like to try out.

KK

Kazenone

Argh, this update ruins the Freeloader. How am I supposed to play Harvest Moon : Magical Melody now?

edit: I guess it isn't so bad, just need to pick up a GameCube again.

Kazenone said:
Argh, this update ruins the Freeloader. How am I supposed to play Harvest Moon : Magical Melody now?

edit: I guess it isn't so bad, just need to pick up a GameCube again.
Don't update. Or do the disc swap trick.

pitt_norton

kkg1701 said:

Yep and I'm using the Nintendo LAN Adapter. No idea what to do.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
kkg1701 said:

KK

I'm having the same problem. Only the Wii Shop Channel and News Channel don't work, with the same error as you.

Everything works fine when I use a wireless connection.

swerve

Just got a message from Nintendo about the Internet Channel having a bug on trying to exit with the new firmware. Lots of apologies (well, it's in Japanese so of course lots of apologies) and a work-around.

Talamius

kkg1701 said:

KK

I can confirm that in the US 3.0 has broken the Datel adapter also. Could only run a connection test (which succeeds), everything else is error 051420. Had to switch my Wii back to Wireless to get a connection.

I'm curious as to whether the update breaks the official adapter as well.

Ranger X

OH MY GOD. MY LIFE COMPLETELY CHANGED. I SEE THE WORLD IN A DIFFERENT LIGHT NOW. ALL LOVE, ALL AROUND ME.

meh, i just updated the clock. WOW. Oh well, i suppose an update is better than no update.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
As I said on the last page, I'm using the official Nintendo LAN Adapter, and my connection works just as perfectly post-update as pre-update.

XiaNaphryz

XiaNaphryz said:
Same question here - really interested in this one since my launch Wii ended up dying.
Well, I left my Wii in standby overnight as a test, and it wasn't nearly as warm as my original Wii used to get in standby mode. So maybe the fan kicks in at a certain temp?

My Wii has been hot as ever while in standby...it was much hotter, in fact, when I took it off standby to play Waverace last night, than it was after playing for 58 minutes (beat all 3 difficulties in those 58 minutes, too...still champ after a decade of retirement!).

gwiz210 said:
I still dont see why we cant run games off of an SD card, it seems like its a no brainer.

Nintendo's very behind-the-times on things like this, and often illogical about them as well. They probably thought running from the SD card would be "too complicated", even though it's obviously simpler than shuffling games back and forth.

They're very profit-driven, though, and I think once they get enough complaints along the lines of "I can't buy any more games because my memory's full" combined with "What do you mean I have to copy them back and forth?", they'll finally figure it out.

pics please?? and the people who mention the clock in the Wii mention is in 12 hour format... how did you set it to do that??

i would post pictures, but my camera is broken. >_> i didn't do anything to change the clock...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
There's a new "???" file in the Wii system memory now. Some users get it, some don't...and no one seems to know what it is or why some get it and other's don't?

I think this is a placeholder file for the Check Mii Out Channel...people who are getting the "???" file have enough free space to store the Channel, people who don't get the "???" file must not have enough freespace?

This has to be a concern for Nintendo (running out of space) for fear of people not getting the most out of all the Channel's (including upcoming one's we don't know about yet) AND for loss of sales on new VC games and the upcoming WiiWare titles. WiiWare (and possibly NeO*GeO VC titles) may have been delayed in order for Nintendo to find a storage solution that works best. Hopefully they open up the USB even more to accept mass storage and/or open up SD Card functions. If they're allowing us to use non-Nintendo non-propriety stuff (like SD Cards & USB keyboards) then I think they should open things up even more.

Something's coming in September...we know this, could it be related?

kkg1701

Well, just wanted to add that wireless works completely for me. Thank idiocy that there's an open wireless access point for me to access :)

I tried to turn my laptop into a wireless hotspot but it didn't work :( I followed the instructions of a video I saw ( http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-28619.html ) If anyone's got any suggestions I'd be thankful :)

KK

Leondexter said:
Nintendo's very behind-the-times on things like this, and often illogical about them as well. They probably thought running from the SD card would be "too complicated", even though it's obviously simpler than shuffling games back and forth

IIRC, someone at GAF suggested it could be due to concerns over piracy - specifically, piracy of VC games. Dunno how plausible that is, though...

loosus

Banned
You can sorta make your laptop into a hotspot.

You have to turn on ad-hoc connectivity. Then, you have to share your wired Internet connection, and have the wireless ad-hoc be the one that can jump on it. This way, your laptop acts as a sort of NAT box.

You'll probably also need to turn off DHCP at your router/modem, because there may be conflicts otherwise.

I don't know if the Wii supports ad-hoc. I haven't tried the above setup.

IIRC, someone at GAF suggested it could be due to concerns over piracy - specifically, piracy of VC games. Dunno how plausible that is, though...
It may be, but the concerns make no sense.

Cosmonaut X said:
Implausible. We can already copy our own VC games to/from SD card, so there would seem to be no additional risk by allowing it to be run from the SD card. If you've fooled the system enough to run something pirate from the SD card, you've fooled the system enough to allow you to copy it over and run it from the internal storage.

XiaNaphryz

I've heard a few rumors that the new firmware update prevents Freeloader from working to load imports. I thought the update was only going to prevent hardware mods from working, has anyone tried their Freeloader lately? I guess I'll have to try it when I get home...

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
JoshuaJSlone said:
Implausible. We can already copy our own VC games to/from SD card, so there would seem to be no additional risk by allowing it to be run from the SD card. If you've fooled the system enough to run something pirate from the SD card, you've fooled the system enough to allow you to copy it over and run it from the internal storage.

I don't even understand the piracy concern. You can already play any nintendo game you want on pretty much any hardware known to man with a simple internet search. How could it get any worse than that. It's not worth screwing your paying customers over for.

JCX

XiaNaphryz said:
I've heard a few rumors that the new firmware update prevents Freeloader from working to load imports. I thought the update was only going to prevent hardware mods from working, has anyone tried their Freeloader lately? I guess I'll have to try it when I get home...

A friend told me today that his freeloader doesn't work anymore since getting the update

Christine

JoshuaJSlone said:

Not necessarily. It depends on Nintendo's crazy system design.

As an example, It absolutely will not allow me to copy an out-of-date backup file for Starfox or the internet channel to the internal memory, even if there is no copy on the machine now!

My feeling is actually that the system doesn't do any copy protection checking or oversight when running a channel stored in the internal memory. All of the interdiction happens during the stage of installing a channel program to the internal memory.

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm thinking that playing a VC game from the SD card would require the emulator and other related files to be transferred over to the SD card, whereby those same files could then be accessed on a PC allowing some hackers/coders to fuck with the code and maybe provide a workaround allowing them to be played on any Wii without having to be bought. Just a theory.

mcgarrett

nathkenn said:
It's not worth screwing your paying customers over for.
How exactly are you being screwed over? So you have to shuffle a few files off to SD, boo-hoo.

They'll obviously have to address this sooner or later, with Neo-Geo and potentially TG-CD and Sega CD games on deck, but it's hardly the end of the world. This just isn't an issue for the average consumer, most of them probably don't even know about the VC. (it hasn't been especially well promoted)

Top Bottom