• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Impressions for 10 games some PS3 too

helium121

Banned
I posted this in the Fusion Tour thread but figure it could be lost to those who want impressions of the Wii but have no interest in the Fusion tour to look in that thread. If anyone else has impressions, post them in hear.

I played these at the Gamestop Manager's Conference, not the Fusion Tour. That's why you will see games not on that tour.

Excite Truck: It feels like Burnout. It is fast and looks suprisingly good on an HD Tv. The steering is definitley exaggerated. You don't have to move the Wii remote alot to get the truck to turn, maybe an 1/8th of an inch in either direction. The depth I feel will come from collecting the stars on each course. You get stars for doing various things throughout the stage and are not dependant on the stage. Examples would be getting air gets you stars, smashing cars, drifting, driving through trees, and good landings are what I was able to accomplish. The land deformation was cool. It would create large jumps which would also throw cars if they were ahead of you. There seemed to be other types of vehicles (dune buggys) and the difficulty was not that easy. I only finished 1st once. Overall a very fun game and one I will pick up at launch.

Zelda: Looked really good. The shaking of the contoller for sword play was not annoying. You can stab forward with the remote and it will make a stabbing motion with the sword. The hardest part of the demo was aiming to shoot the bow. It was really difficult. Fishing was also really cool. Reeling in with the nunchuck works really well.

Metroid: I found the classic contol scheme to be easier than the expert. Expert you really need a steady hand or the camera shakes all over the place. It definitly feels like you are aiming at the sensor bar and not the tv. It was really easy aiming with the lock on feature. You would just point in the general direction and hit the trigger and it would lock on to that enemy. Graphics looked like a beefed up Gamecube Metroid. Still looked really good though. The demo did crash on me twice though.

Mario: Controls were spot on. Felt just like a Mario game on the Wii controller. Some of the ways to kill bosses used the Wiimote very cool like the giant Spider boss. Don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Trauma center: Played just like the DS version but with a remote control instead. You need a steady hand to perform some of the movements (pulling glass out of cuts). There is also some leniency in other actions like stitching cuts back up don't have to be exact.

Metal Slug: It is Metal Slug. Not much can be said. Chucking grenades by moving the nunchuck was cool. The rep said it is a launch title, so that is cool.

Wii Sports: Bowling and Boxing were great. These really show off the Wiimote and make perfect sense to include it in with the system. It sensed spins that you do for bowling and felt very intuiative. Boxing was great and you do get tired after playing. You are able to perform various punches like hooks, uppercuts, and jabs. The Wiimote also senses how hard you throw your punches. Tennis was so-so and I didn't get to try the other two. Boxing and bowling would definitley be the reason to put this in the system and would be great party games.

Tony Hawk: Graphics were not very good. Looked like a Gamecube game made by an average 3rd party. Played exactly like SSX on skateboards. Turning was not a problem like some of the videos shown but it is very easy to run into walls because you are moving fast.

Wario Ware: You feel like an idiot holding the Wiimote to your body and jumping but it is really fun. Some of the ways they use the controller are ingenious and make me want this game even more. There is not much to say about this. If you played WarioWare games in the past, you know what to expect.

Wii Play: Some of these games were really difficult to play. Table tennis was impoosible to control. Maybe with practice it would be easier, but my group playing with me all had hard times with this one. Billiards was the seller on this game. You basically line up your shot, hold the A button, and make the hitting motion as if your are in real pool. One note, you really had to sit in front of the tv because the sensor bar had a hard time of picking up the movements from the side. Other games included fishing (looked so-so) and Duck Hunt shooting (also so-so).

The games I thought all looked really good graphically. Not on par with the 360 of course, but good in their on right. Thay all looked very clean (except for maybe Tony Hawk). Once you start playing too, the games are so fun you don't miss the next gen graphics.

One other note I don't know if it was mentioned before but Nintendo stated that your Mii characters would be used in Wario Ware.

On the PS3 side:

Resistance looked fantastic. I did not get to play it but it definitley looked like the system seller. They showed a demo of some of the guns and they are definitely ideas never before seen in a 1st person shooter.

Genji was so-so, nothing exciting about it.

Motorstorm was one of two games I actually got to play. It looked incredible. My only complaint was that there was no sense of speed in the buggys.

Sonic was a dissappointment. The camera was shifting all around and in general the game was hard to control because of it. The PS3 version looked a little better than the 360 version.

One dissappointment was the controller. It felt like a very cheap plastic and had no weight to it. I also did not like the new triggers.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Metal Slug: It is Metal Slug. Not much can be said. Chucking grenades by moving the nunchuck was cool. The rep said it is a launch title, so that is cool.
WHAT? wtf this game was doing there? awesome. how to jump btw?

AniHawk

Excite Truck: It feels like Burnout. It is fast and looks suprisingly good on an HD Tv. The steering is definitley exaggerated. You don't have to move the Wii remote alot to get the truck to turn, maybe an 1/8th of an inch in either direction. The depth I feel will come from collecting the stars on each course. You get stars for doing various things throughout the stage and are not dependant on the stage. Examples would be getting air gets you stars, smashing cars, drifting, driving through trees, and good landings are what I was able to accomplish. The land deformation was cool. It would create large jumps which would also throw cars if they were ahead of you. There seemed to be other types of vehicles (dune buggys) and the difficulty was not that easy. I only finished 1st once. Overall a very fun game and one I will pick up at launch.

Oh shit. I love Burnout. Interest in Excite Truck +100
VicAlpha said:
WHAT? wtf this game was doing there? awesome. how to jump btw?

AdamBot in another thread said there were 7 different control methods, including the Retro remote or the GC controller- so it's up to you.

Unison

I'll bring my impressions over too:

On Excite Truck I don't have a lot to add beyond this except to stress that the game looked, to my eyes, really smooth and quite attractive. The sensitivity of the controller is definitely one of those things that you don't expect the first time you play this or any Wii game, I think. Tiny movements are the way to go. The boss stage in WarioWare was a driving game... that was a little less sensitive, but then again the car in that is going considerably slower than EXCITE TRUCK which is fast and furious.

It's kind of hard to speak of longevity after only playing the game once, but that's never been an issue for me with any of Nintendo's other racers. I pre-ordered it & paid in full right after playing it, for what it's worth.

Regarding the other games, I will say that WarioWare is as good as you might imagine it. The demo stage they had set up was really, really easy but it was FUN. Between microgames, you got instructed how to hold the Wiimote, which might be an impediment to the game getting as insanely fast as the GBA version, but was certainly helpful for a first-timer. The actions you're asked to do are crazy. In the five minutes I played, I held the Wiimote at my waist and made a hula hoop motion, held the Wiimote like a pointer and scribbled on a page of paper, shook hands with a Nintendog, did some weightlifting curls and pushed over a bully by thrusting my hands toward the screen. This is an obvious improvement over Warioware Touched, where all of the games you do use the same general motion. The resulting game is hectic and fun. I think I'll get it for sure.

Wii Shooting was, to quote Petah, "solid if not spectacular". It's so simple that it's tough to imagine it having much longevity, but half the appeal of the Wii lineup is that it's so obvious that literally anyone could play. It obviously wouldn't do as a standalone product, but as a minigame in a collection it seems acceptable enough.

Wii Bowling, on the other hand, was a revelation. Ever since Wii was announced, my biggest concern was the accuracy of the remote, and not the graphics as seems to be the prime concern on GAF. Wii Bowling really shows what the Wiimote can do. It just feels right. Expect it to convert the casuals like few games have before. It's that great.

The overall experience of Wii, like Nintendo said, is that you REALLY understand it after you've played it hands-on. The system feels VERY high-tech despite the graphics because of the motion controls. It's tough to imagine it getting gimmicky too quickly.

Was Metroid Prime 3 played on an HDTV? The IGN videos of the games graphics are in itself jaw dropping, but still have that amount of pixelation. Looks better than a Xbox game at least right?

Mario galaxy is easy to control right? Like extremely natural? Mucho cool.

And if you could, could you give any more deeper impressions on your Zelda trial?

Vic

AniHawk said:
Oh shit. I love Burnout. Interest in Excite Truck +100

AdamBot in another thread said there were 7 different control methods, including the Retro remote or the GC controller- so it's up to you.
HOLY SHIT, WHAT??

AniHawk

VicAlpha said:
HOLY SHIT, WHAT??

Yeah.

Retro controller
GC controller
Wiimote + nunchuk left hand
Wiimote + nunchuk right hand
Wiimote only horizontal left handed
Wiimote only horizontal right handed

And then something else. It sounds more impressive than it really is, but fans of the series shouldn't have any complaints from the sound of it.

Hero

Wow if you can use GC controller AND/OR Classic Controller for Metal Slug (and it's a launch title) then that is some of the best news this week.

Balzac

Was Metal Slug 6 still part of the anthology?

I just don't get how they're porting over an atomiswave title at the last second AND making it out in time for launch

StevieP

Banned
VicAlpha said:
HOLY SHIT, WHAT??

That's probably for Metal Slug. SNK have been nuts for the Wii, so I could see them programming multiple input methods, depending on which Metal Slug it was in the collection. MS6 is still there, but I'd expect "launch window", not launch. Too many good games in the launch for it to be easily overshadowed, so I'd expect it by X-mas. Mii characters are going to be in a ton of games, Nintendo or not, including animal crossing - Nintendo has made the Mii SDK available to 3rd parties according to the latest Iwata interview.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mii characters in Wario Ware? I`m sailing at full mast.

AniHawk

AdamBot said:
To my absolute and utter surprise and amazement, the SNK booth had two kiosks with fully playable near-final builds of Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii. It completely rocks. I checked out the options and there are like 6 or 7 different control schemes. You can play with the nunchuck attached using the analog stick (lefty or righty), in this mode you "throw" the Wiimote forward to throw grenades, which is kinda cool because you can hold down the fire button (B) while you chuck so you don't lose your stream of bullets for longer than you have to, it only takes a very slight movement). You can hold the controller sideways, NES style... but in this mode I couldn't figure out how to throw grenades. There are also control scheme options for VC controller and GameCube controller as well. Very cool! I had to check out Metal Slug 6 since it was only released in Japanese arcades, it's freaking great. It looks better than any previous version graphically. Less pixellated. It has a zoom-in/zoom-out effect sometimes too... like in Alien Hominid, which was not in any previous incarnation of Metal Slug, to my knowledge. The backgrounds were gorgeously animated and there was a new 'Laser' weapon which shoots a constant straight beam and extremely powerful. (Cool note: the first time I tried to load up Metal Slug 6 it froze up so the guy had to open up the black box that contained the Wii... turns out it was the test kit Wii with the green faceplate on the front. I got to see the disk eject and go back in too... very very smooth, smoother even than my car CD player.)

There it is

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`m glad to see 6 is in the anthology. It`s a ****ing SICK game in the arcades.

Unison

LanceStern said:
Was Metroid Prime 3 played on an HDTV? The IGN videos of the games graphics are in itself jaw dropping, but still have that amount of pixelation. Looks better than a Xbox game at least right?

I saw MP3 in action today, though I didn't play it. They had it set up on a flat-screen HDTV. The game looked only like a mild step up from the GC version, but that's not exactly an insult, seeing how good the GC Prime games look.

I think what I saw was the E3 build, so I don't think that that's definitive in any way as to what the final product will look like.

helium121

Banned
Metroid was played on and HDTV and in widescreen to boot. It looked very good, like a beefed up Prime. There is a "minigame" in the Metroid demo were barrels generate out of the ground. When you shoot them they pop into the air and you can continue shooting them to keep them in the air. It sort of test's your accuracy. I was able to keep them up for about 4-5 shots.

As for Zelda, there is not much you can say about it. It is the same demo from the Wii events. It plays well and looks great. I'm sure with practice, one could overcome the aiming issues. When Zelda was being demoed to us, the gentleman playing had no issues aiming the bow.

And yes Mario contolled fantastic. It really was intuitive and you never think you're playing with an analog stick and remote.

Vic

man, SNK always do a way too much for us. I wish Capcom could do the half of the kind of effort SNK do with their 2D games... btw, thanks a lot AniHawk

Kittonwy

Banned
helium121 said:
On the PS3 side:

Resistance looked fantastic. I did not get to play it but it definitley looked like the system seller. They showed a demo of some of the guns and they are definitely ideas never before seen in a 1st person shooter.

Genji was so-so, nothing exciting about it.

Motorstorm was one of two games I actually got to play. It looked incredible. My only complaint was that there was no sense of speed in the buggys.

Sonic was a dissappointment. The camera was shifting all around and in general the game was hard to control because of it. The PS3 version looked a little better than the 360 version.
One dissappointment was the controller. It felt like a very cheap plastic and had no weight to it. I also did not like the new triggers.

Automatic 10 page thread? :lol:

Thanks for the impressions. I'm so glad Motorstorm and Resistance are turning out so well. ~_~

Have they not listened to people complaining about the bow in Zelda wii and fix the difficulty with the wii mote?

LJ11

helium121 said:

I also did not like the new triggers.

Where you using a 1st or 3rd person camera perspective when playing Motorstorm? Can you elaborate on what exactly turned you off with the new triggers?

helium121 said:
And yes Mario contolled fantastic. It really was intuitive and you never think you're playing with an analog stick and remote.
I don't get these comments. You're doing some running around with your left hand in almost the exact same way you did with a GameCube controller -- of course it's intuitive.

thetrin

LJ11 said:
Where you using a 1st or 3rd person camera perspective when playing Motorstomr? Can you elaborate on what exactly turned you off with the new triggers?

When I played Motorstorm at TGS, I found the third person to be beautiful but totally lacking in a sense of speed. First person felt a lot more chaotic and fun.

I`m sure what he didn`t like about the new L2 and R2 is the way they tilt back when you press them now. It`s actually what I liked about them. They`re aren`t buttons now. They`re more like pedals.

helium121

Banned
It's just one game. Trust me, the games they showed for 360 definitley would sell me a system if I already didn't own one. I think the 360 has the strongest lineup of any system this holiday season. Gears looked incredible, Call of Duty looked and played better than COD2, Rainbow 6 played like a beefed up Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell played and looked good too.

LJ11

TheTrin said:
I`m sure what he didn`t like about the new L2 and R2 is the way they tilt back when you press them now. It`s actually what I liked about them. They`re aren`t buttons now. They`re more like pedals.

Do the triggers behave more like the Gamecube or the Xbox? Thanks for your input.

helium121

Banned
I played it in 3rd person so maybe that is why it felt slow. The triggers just felt rubbery. I'm sure I could get used to them.

For Mario, it's different than the gamecube controller though because you are using the remote to perform different actions and fighting bosses.

noizbot

Does anyone know if the Metal Slug Anthology can run in widescreen?

Certainly not a big deal if not, but it would be really cool.

helium121 said:
It's just one game. Trust me, the games they showed for 360 definitley would sell me a system if I already didn't own one. I think the 360 has the strongest lineup of any system this holiday season. Gears looked incredible, Call of Duty looked and played better than COD2, Rainbow 6 played like a beefed up Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell played and looked good too.

All for mature gamers.

360 should find some focus on people that don't want heads rolling, blood splattering, and guns blazing every minute. And no sports, racing and fighting games don't count neither.

AniHawk

LanceStern said:
All for mature gamers.

360 should find some focus on people that don't want heads rolling, blood splattering, and guns blazing every minute. And no sports, racing and fighting games don't count neither.

Viva Pinata, Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Banjo-Karapetime.

helium121

Banned
Viva Pinata, COD2 is Teen, and Lego Star Wars and Open Season just came out on the system. Plus WWE will sell to the masses and Fuzion Frenzy is due out soon. Although I do agree with you. M$ has to do a better job to round out their portfolio.

unifin

loosus said:
That right there is the sorta shit that I'm worried about. I do not like that at all.

What's weird is none of the major news-sites have had any such complaints...

StevieP

Banned
loosus said:
That right there is the sorta shit that I'm worried about. I do not like that at all.

When you use a mouse for FPS titles, does it feel like you're aiming at your screen? No, because you've adjusted to the fact that the mouse uses a fixed movement area to manipulate what's on the screen. The wiimote works in a similar fashion, using a fixed point to manipulate what's on screen. It's not a lightgun (and if it was, it wouldn't work with many TVs, and there would be more complaints about its difficulty of use).

There are assloads of impressions and videos of complete noobs trying the Wiimote on bowling and tennis and metroid and such, on GoNintendo right now.

helium121

Banned
One thing with Trauma Center too is that Nintendo seem really excited about it. Reggie talked at our dinner the first night and proclaimed his excitement for it and Nintendo demoed it at their vendor class over the likes of Excite Truck and Wii Sports.

Metroids control is not a complaint. You just have to realize you are pointing at the bar and not the tv. You adjust pretty fast.

helium121 said:
Metroid was played on and HDTV and in widescreen to boot.

Really? That's great to know.

One tiny concern I have over Wii games in widescreen that I noticed on some pics of Excite Truck, do most of the games fill the entire screen or do they have tiny black bars on the left and right like in most GCN/PS2 games?

Metal Slug Collection's 7 controller options kick major ass.

Nickovic

noizbot said:
Does anyone know if the Metal Slug Anthology can run in widescreen?

Certainly not a big deal if not, but it would be really cool.

Most probably considering that there is a PSP version in the works.

japtor

Nickovic said:
Most probably considering that there is a PSP version in the works.
from all the screens, can that really be considered a widescreen mode? its just stretched to fill the space. although yeah, the wii version could have that as well.

main problem with doing a real widescreen mode (expanding the view left and right) is that a lot of stuff is designed with 4:3 in mind, particularly the vertically scrolling parts. they would either have to make a bunch of new art to fill in the empty space or redo any parts of the game that were designed that way.

ethelred

helium121 said:
One thing with Trauma Center too is that Nintendo seem really excited about it. Reggie talked at our dinner the first night and proclaimed his excitement for it and Nintendo demoed it at their vendor class over the likes of Excite Truck and Wii Sports.

Wow. That's really exciting to hear.

Some big Nintendo hyping of Trauma Center could be supremely helpful to this game in sales -- and let's recall that this is from a company for whom 100k is a staggering success. Damn, I'd love to see that -- not only because Atlus deserves successes like that more than most developers, not only because Trauma Center is super-awesome and deserves to be experienced and embraced by more gamers, but also because such an outcome could lead to even more Atlus support.

AniHawk

ethelred said:
Wow. That's really exciting to hear.

Some big Nintendo hyping of Trauma Center could be supremely helpful to this game in sales -- and let's recall that this is from a company for whom 100k is a staggering success. Damn, I'd love to see that -- not only because Atlus deserves successes like that more than most developers, not only because Trauma Center is super-awesome and deserves to be experienced and embraced by more gamers, but also because such an outcome could lead to even more Atlus support.

Trauma Center is almost assured at least 100k due to its status as a launch title alone. I imagine it's the type of thing Nintendo will want to showcase in kiosks along with Wii Sports, Red Steel, and Zelda.

Right. It's not some port with Wiimote functionality tacked on. Definitely puts it ahead of a fair amount of launch titles just for that aspect.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
shidoshi said:
See, I'm the opposite - I don't want the Mii characters ANYWHERE near WarioWare and/or Animal Crossing.

Animal crossing I can understand. The characters and art style have become a staple of the series. But I mean come on, wario ware games visually are all oooooooooooover the place. Putting a mii in there would fit the game as well as putting in some drawings done by a 2 year old. It's all fair game in wario ware.

Top Bottom