• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii in process of being packaged?

Not yet! But it sounds like its due to begin very soon if certain people are to be believed. TrueDoogie at IGN boards posted this:

TrueDoogie said:
A staffing agency for Nintendo is looking for 150 people to start packing Wii's tomorrow at North Bend.

Calling for the job now.

Nintendo does indeed appear to have vacancies at its North Bend facility:

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/jobs.jsp

Nintendo Jobs page said:
Shipping Agent - Trainee

Description of duties
• Provides labor resources to the North Bend distribution facility
• Performs line functions in assigned area(s)
• Backs up other areas
• Assists with bundle pack projects
• Supports department by labor sharing
• Receiving: Unloads containers; processes and verifies receipts; uses electric pallet jack (requires DMV approval)
• Picking: Prepares product for picking (CAPS); picks product into totes; applies dunnage to cartons; scans product for verification; replenishes pick locations
• Material Move: Transfers product within the distribution center via electric pallet jack and/or stand-up reach truck (requires DMV approval); tracks inventory and product transfer
• Shipping: Prepares product labels and packing lists; labels and places product onto conveyors; loads trailers; processes, verifies and monitors shipments; operates electric pallet jack
• M Designation: In the absence of a Lead, provides training, guidance and task direction to assigned staff. Provides back-up for other areas, assists with special projects and provides labor resources in assigned area(s)

Nintendo jobs page said:
Production Agent - Trainee

• Operate and maintain production equipment to package products in our state-of-the-art distribution facility
• Utilize specifications, oral, and written instruction to assemble products and subassemblies
• Monitor and evaluate line flow and suggest necessary process or personnel adjustments
• Monitor quality of product produced
• Monitor inventory
• Test products
• Keep work area clean and in compliance with safety guidelines

Interesting if true. Not long til the 14th!

suaveric

If they really plan on hitting 4 million by the end of the year, those units would have to start arriving sooner rather than later.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Amir0x said:
Seriously, I cannot wait 'til the 14th already. This feels worse than E3

Just four more freaking days. Watch a giant meteor smash into the earth on the 13th or something, sending us into a new dark age.

I'd still want my Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Delayed! (Hopefully indefinately.)

I don't know what would occur then. I guess I'd have a very snazzy looking system to look forward to while I play Zelda GCN on :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
inthezone said:
Im sorry if I appear to be ignorant but what happens on the 14th?

Wii-Con 06. The begining of three such events, actually. All questions to be answered then.

GDGF said:
Just four more freaking days. Watch a giant meteor smash into the earth on the 13th or something, sending us into a new dark age.

I'd still want my Wii.

:lol

Ah...yeah, any and all catastrophes will be about two days old by then, sadly.

ETA: Damn, that even depressed me.

Amir0x said:
I don't know what would occur then. I guess I'd have a very snazzy looking system to look forward to while I play Zelda GCN on :lol

But why spend that money on a Wii when you can just play it on your GC? (And if you don't have one they're like 20$). I just don't understand. :p

Lee N

Membre
Amir0x said:
Seriously, I cannot wait 'til the 14th already. This feels worse than E3
I agree, it's starting to get difficult to wait knowing it's close, but not how close.

But then again, I rather have them announce a date when they're absolutely sure they can keep it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
MasterMFauli said:
Surprise launch to sabotage Sony´s TGS-appearance...you´re so evil, Nintendo :-/

:lol They did the same thing with the NDS, as I recall. Nintendo's gotten really good at spoiler tactics lately.

ManaByte

MasterMFauli said:
Surprise launch to sabotage Sony´s TGS-appearance...you´re so evil, Nintendo :-/

:lol They get on stage for their big TGS thing and they're like "WTF is everyone", because everyone will be in line to buy their Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
But why spend that money on a Wii when you can just play it on your GC? (And if you don't have one they're like 20$). I just don't understand. :p

well the system is still gonna get Metroid Prime III eventually, and apparently Super Paper Mario too now... it's inevitable as they say!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
These job vacancies are false.

The packaging is being done entirely with Pikmin, and this was the main reason for the small size of the console. It only takes 20 Pikmin to carry one Wii.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
They're turning it into a 2D sidescroller.

... :(

DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS!

Did they firebomb Retro too?

Seriously, even if they have packaging commencing now, it'll take more than a month to get enough systems ready for launch.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS!

Did they firebomb Retro too?

Seriously, even if they have packaging commencing now, it'll take more than a month to get enough systems ready for launch.

NO SURPRISE TGS LAUNCH SONY SPOILED

Bebpo said:
Was MPII good?

I love Metroid Prime I, and "like" Metroid Prime II... but your mileage will vary. Metroid Prime II's dark/light world made the game more tedious, whereas with the original the backtracking felt more natural and it was less annoying. All beautiful art direction and incredible gameplay remains of course.

consoul

Shipping Agent - Trainee

Number of positions: 1

Number of positions: 5

Those six people are going to be busy.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I always thought Nintendo's packing center was a totally automated robot love affair, but maybe that's just in Redmond or something.

consoul said:
Shipping Agent - Trainee

Number of positions: 1

Number of positions: 5

Those six people are going to be busy.

Hm, so that news was actually meant for PS3 and the 100.000 units?
Nah, whatever, 5 people should be enough to package 1.000.000 consoles until September 22th....at least, i gues/hope so :p

Rody

MasterMFauli said:
Hm, so that news was actually meant for PS3 and the 100.000 units?
Nah, whatever, 5 people should be enough to package 1.000.000 consoles until September 22th....at least, i gues/hope so :p

So you're guessing/hoping that 5 people are enough to pack more than 80000 units a day? Wow.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shawn128 said:
This thread makes me wonder if there is such a thing as the Nintendo Defense Force

There is, and we all fly around in this giant version of R.O.B. ;)

sdf1.jpg

Well according to the OP at IGN, they were handing out flyers locally. He asked about it and was told 150 people were needed. Kelly Services is apparently the agency doing that recruitment - and they do have north bend vacancies on their website (same job titles, but it doesn't say Nintendo). The Nintendo site as you point out offers fewer positions. Manpower are also recruiting:

http://www.us.manpower.com/uscom/Job.jsp?jobReqNo=US98409/US/NINTENDO20

http://www.us.manpower.com/uscom/Job.jsp?jobReqNo=US98409/US/NINTEMAP20

http://www.us.manpower.com/uscom/Job.jsp?jobReqNo=US98409/US/NINTEDIA22

He's hoping to hear back from the agency, and he plans to ask more. Its perhaps not enough to jump the gun and say Wii is definately being packaged now, but the possibility doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Its gotta be done sometime.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is the 14th the American event AND Japanese event? Or is the 15th the American event?

I can stay up on Thursday because I have no class on Friday. :D

Amir0x

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
Well according to the OP at IGN, they were handing out flyers locally. He asked about it and was told 150 people were needed. Kelly Services is apparently the agency doing that recruitment - and they do have north bend vacancies (it doesn't say Nintendo). The Nintendo site as you point out offers fewer positions. Manpower are also recruiting:

http://www.us.manpower.com/uscom/Job.jsp?jobReqNo=US98409/US/NINTENDO20

http://www.us.manpower.com/uscom/Job.jsp?jobReqNo=US98409/US/NINTEMAP20

http://www.us.manpower.com/uscom/Job.jsp?jobReqNo=US98409/US/NINTEDIA22

He's hoping to hear back from the agency, and he plans to ask more. Its perhaps not enough to jump the gun and say Wii is definately being packaged now, but the possibility doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Its gotta be done sometime.

Heh, back in the day Kelly Services hired me to do factory labor at Liz Claiborne

Ikael

I dunno. How much time does it takes to package the units that are necessary for the launch? And yes, the waiting for the 14th is painful, not to mention that since it is going to be a 6 hours presentation, the information drop will be loooooong and tortuous.

I am a bit confused. Can an expert in console packaging please give a time frame for likely packaging that might coincide with a "certain period" before launch?

Top Bottom