• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-k in Review: 11/16/07

Lobster

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
this is a gaming forum. the wii is not a platform for legitimate gamers any more than the sega pico is, or my daughter's learning bus thing. why it is discussed here baffles me -- my htc phone has more and better real games than the wii (and better graphics) yet i feel no urge to create an 'omg! new rpg for the t-mobile wing!!!!' thread every other week

Were you a big fan of Monster Hunter 3 or something?

Soule

give drinky back his 'banned' tag, it was fun seeing all the new guys laugh him off and then get flamed by drinky in the next few posts.

Ristamar

The Double Dash hate is stupid, IMO. While slightly underwhelming, I still think it's more fun in multiplayer than any of the other console iterations.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Ristamar said:
The Double Dash hate is stupid, IMO. While slightly underwhelming, I still think it's more fun in multiplayer than any of the other console iterations.

The battle mode was gimped and the racing stages were underwhelming. Plus the rubberband racing physics were ridiculous, even for a Mario Kart game

wazoo

titiklabingapat said:
That dark game...sounds awesome. And I just know Cassasamina reads this forum.

Also, I like licking sweethearts.

What is the dark game ?? First time I heard about it ??

Ristamar

grandjedi6 said:
Plus the rubberband racing physics were ridiculous, even for a Mario Kart game

That's why I stated "multiplayer" (not that it was difficult to consistently beat the CPU, even with the rubberband AI). It's heavily flawed, but at the same time, it's still better than MK64 from a multiplayer standpoint. With a handful of friends, I think it's more fun than MK64, even if the variety and quality of the levels isn't as good as it should be. Bob-omb Blast kicks ass (especially co-op with driver+gunner), and Shine Thief was a fun addition.

Polari

grandjedi6 said:
The battle mode was gimped and the racing stages were underwhelming. Plus the rubberband racing physics were ridiculous, even for a Mario Kart game

Amen to that. Double Dash was shit, let's not get steeped in revisionism here.

grandjedi6

wazoo said:
What is the dark game ?? First time I heard about it ??

A "dark" themed game that is coming to the Wii eventually. Matt has been excited about it for a while now

Ristamar said:
That's why I stated "multiplayer" (not that it was difficult to consistently beat the CPU, even with the rubberband AI). It's heavily flawed, but at the same time, it's still better than MK64 from a multiplayer standpoint. With a handful of friends, I think it's more fun than MK64, even if the variety and quality of the levels isn't as good as it should be. Bob-omb Blast kicks ass (especially co-op with driver+gunner), and Shine Thief was a fun addition.

The rubberband physics mess up multiplayer racing too. And the battle stages sucked. MK64 outclasses it in every manner except for the gameplay modes. But this is all a moot point since MKDS is better than both combined.

Ristamar

grandjedi6 said:
The rubberband physics mess up multiplayer racing too. And the battle stages sucked. MK64 outclasses it in every manner except for the gameplay modes. But this is all a moot point since MKDS is better than both combined.

I think MK64 is overrated, too, much like Double Dash on some sites, but I never thought the series was an elite franchise anyway, though they were all pretty damn fun.

Anyway, more importantly: The rubberbanding messes up the multiplayer racing? In what way, because I (nor any of my friends) never noticed when playing with 4 players? Do human players also get a speed boost when trailing or something? I'm genuinely curious.

grandjedi6 said:
Drinky is as real as you or I
I thought he was created by that Jack Frost guy to have some vent and subsequently was used by others as well. Can't find Jack Frost through the search though - he made a post explaining it all.

Anyways even if he was "real" he's just sticking around trying to provoke some reactions.

grandjedi6

Ristamar said:
I think MK64 is overrated, too, much like Double Dash on some sites, but I never thought the series was an elite franchise anyway, though they were all pretty damn fun.

Anyway, more importantly: The rubberbanding messes up the multiplayer racing? In what way, because I (nor any of my friends) never noticed when playing with 4 players? Do human players also get a speed boost when trailing or something? I'm genuinely curious.

Humans players do get a speed boast and the farther back you are the greater chance you have of getting good items. I've seen 8th place get 3 blue shells in a row

Phife Dawg said:
I thought he was created by that Jack Frost guy to have some vent and subsequently was used by others as well. Can't find Jack Frost through the search though - he made a post explaining it all.

Anyways even if he was "real" he's just sticking around trying to provoke some reactions.

People still believe that? That entire thread was a joke.

Milabrega

Ristamar said:

I never noticed speed boosts for tail position players, but the sheer volume of blue shells
other items too, but no item has a bigger impact than blue shells atleast when we play
that players get in those positions is a huge annoyance. Even still the better racer will always come in first the majority of the time. The most blue shells I've seen in a race was 11. 8 hitting me and 3 hitting another player when he got first after I was hit, but it really isn't uncommon to have 4-6 blue shells per race.

Top Bottom