• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-k in Review 6/1/2007

thefro

I'll update this post with a summary of the show. Just Matt and Bozon tonight.

- They seem to like Scarface Wii. 4 different control settings (Casual/Normal/Advanced/Expert) with different bounding box sizes for freeaim. Good looking for a Wii game.

- Manhunt 2 "impressively violent", "ridiculous". Rockstar wants controversy on Wii. Matt thinks it may do well on Wii since he saw in the NeoGAF thread (shoutout!) that most people were getting it on Wii. Lot of variety, Peer calls it "Splatter Cell".

- They have RE 4 Wii, but can't play it yet due to not having the right debugger software.

- Talking a bunch about how Mario Party 8 sucks

- Activision/Ubisoft promising more support for Wii

- New gameplay mechanics in new Naruto coming out v.s. EX

- Talking about the Fortune article and how much money Nintendo is making. They don't think they will see a pricedrop this winter, but maybe a new color (black) console.

- E3 will be insane... they don't know about any of the "megatons" yet, just a few things.

- Company trying to get a publisher for an adult Wii game that could be huge. Game will be unveiled within a couple weeks on IGN if they don't get a publisher within the next couple weeks. Not a garage developer or Tier C dev.

- The IGN Wii Virtual Console game is on hold... they're working more on their full game concept right now.

- Matt says Retro will do something else with Metroid in the future after Prime 3.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/793/793749p1.html

CoolTrick

Banned
Seriously, the Wii could have a new GTA if the fact that you can motion-senor strangle people gets out to the masses.

M3d10n

Apparently, Scarface Wii has proper self-shadowing in the lastest build (it was about freakin' time). And lol at "Splatter Cell".

LCGeek

formerly sane
M3d10n said:
Apparently, Scarface Wii has proper self-shadowing in the lastest build (it was about freakin' time). And lol at "Splatter Cell".

Holy crap that would make EA the first dev since F5 to use SS in a game on that architecture this company really is trying to get into the Wii.

Adult Wii game? As in X-rated? I was hoping that would happen. X-rated video games are an untapped niche in the West, and x-rated content in general is another sign of a medium going "mainstream", imo.

thefro

titiklabingapat said:
Adult Wii game? As in X-rated? I was hoping that would happen. X-rated video games are an untapped niche in the West, and x-rated content in general is another sign of a medium going "mainstream", imo.

Something with a hard M rating like Manhunt 2... didn't sound like it was X-rated. They use "adult" and "mature" pretty interchangeably.

thefro said:
Something with a hard M rating like Manhunt 2... didn't sound like it was X-rated. They use "adult" and "mature" pretty interchangeably.
Meh then. I wish I had the capital to do it. Will any of the big three allow it anyway?

Xabora

ivysaur12 said:
What the hell is the IGN virtual console game?
Ivysaur12, You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

Anywho, looks like IGN is working on a Wii VC Game apparently.

Wiitard

Banned
Now, why cannot we get any kind of competent Wii coverage from the other big two. I'd actually really love for IGN Nintendo team to have real competitors. Better stop dreaming.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wiitard said:
Now, why cannot we get any kind of competent Wii coverage from the other big two. I'd actually really love for IGN Nintendo team to have real competitors. Better stop dreaming.

1upyours was pretty good to Nintendo this week.

Banned
imastalker co. said:
these podcast are very informative, but very boring.

I want to know what the fundemental difference between 1up & IGN is, because pretty much across the board, 1up has charismatic & interesting staff which makes for podcasts I want to listen to, whereas IGN podcasts are like listening to paint dry. They do have some decent info in there, and I do listen to them quite a bit, but it's like night and day comparing the podcasts. It must come down to company culture & hiring policy or something... And the fact that Rupert may or may not have turned them all into zombies... Could be worth a thread, but I could get shot in the face with a trillion mind bullets, so maybe not...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
i both hate and love that they talk about info they have without revealing any of it. i hate it because now i know they know and i dont, but i love it cause then i can guess and get hyped, but then i hate it again because i'm probably going to be disappointed that its not everything i hoped for, but then it could be more than i could ever imagine so i love it again :/

About the metroid comment (at the very end of the podcast), I think Matt just said that "retro will definitely do something after the metroid trilogy". I didn't interpret this to mean that they'll be making another metroid game necessarily...

Wiitard

Banned
schuelma said:
1upyours was pretty good to Nintendo this week.

Pretty good by their standards (we are putting the weekly ritualistic destruction of a Wii console on hold for this week) or pretty good in sense of containing interesting info/insights?

schuelma

Wiitard said:
Pretty good by their standards (we are putting the weekly ritualistic destruction of a Wii console on hold for this week) or pretty good in sense of containing interesting info/insights?

Pretty good- Shane was relatively excited for MK Wii, good discussion on Manhunt, good discussion on developers wanting to develop for the Wii, excitement for Manhunt and Mario Strikers...pretty much devoid of all snark. Maybe having Mark instead of Luke makes a difference? I guess just in general they seemed much more respectful of Wii and of the insane numbers its doing. Maybe the latest NPD woke them up?

Wiitard

Banned
666 said:
I want to know what the fundemental difference between 1up & IGN is, because pretty much across the board, 1up has charismatic & interesting staff which makes for podcasts I want to listen to, whereas IGN podcasts are like listening to paint dry. They do have some decent info in there, and I do listen to them quite a bit, but it's like night and day comparing the podcasts. It must come down to company culture & hiring policy or something... And the fact that Rupert may or may not have turned them all into zombies... Could be worth a thread, but I could get shot in the face with a trillion mind bullets, so maybe not...

Still, if I'm looking for Wii trolling, there is plenty of options. If I want some resonable Wii discussion not along th lines: "What do you thing sucks most about the Wii: the graphics or the controller?" - it's hard to find. Especially stuff which is at least somewhat oriented towards people who are Wii fans, not necessarily Nintendo fans.

schuelma

Wiitard said:
Still, if I'm looking for Wii trolling, there is plenty of options. If I want some resonable Wii discussion not along th lines: "What do you thing sucks most about the Wii: the graphics or the controller?" - it's hard to find. Especially stuff which is at least somewhat oriented towards people who are Wii fans, not necessarily Nintendo fans.

Well..1up yours the last few weeks has been a lot better.

(for you Ntard haters- I'm not saying 1up has to kiss Nintendo's ass- just acting like Nintendo is relevant and not just a joke is all I ask).

Wiitard

Banned
schuelma said:
Well..1up yours the last few weeks has been a lot better.

(for you Ntard haters- I'm not saying 1up has to kiss Nintendo's ass- just acting like Nintendo is relevant and not just a joke is all I ask).

Wow. What else is happening? Pope converting to paganism?

schuelma

Wiitard said:
Wow. What else is happening? Pope converting to paganism?

I think having Mark instead of Luke makes a huge difference- when Nintendo is brought up, they can either troll it or talk about it seriously- Luke would always make some hilariously nasty remark and the rest would follow; Mark tends to take Nintendo seriously and the other guys kind of fall in line.

VegaShinra

Manhunt 2 is going to be amazing on Wii. I'm interested in the adult Wii game with no publisher. Pick that game up Nintendo and show that you aren't all about kiddy games.

Tristam

thefro said:
I'll update this post with a summary of the show. Just Matt and Bozon tonight.

- They seem to like Scarface Wii. 4 different control settings (Casual/Normal/Advanced/Expert) with different bounding box sizes for freeaim. Good looking for a Wii game.

- Manhunt 2 "impressively violent", "ridiculous". Rockstar wants controversy on Wii. Matt thinks it may do well on Wii since he saw in the NeoGAF thread (shoutout!) that most people were getting it on Wii. Lot of variety, Peer calls it "Splatter Cell".

- They have RE 4 Wii, but can't play it yet due to not having the right debugger software.

- Talking a bunch about how Mario Party 8 sucks

- Activision/Ubisoft promising more support for Wii

- New gameplay mechanics in new Naruto coming out v.s. EX

- Talking about the Fortune article and how much money Nintendo is making. They don't think they will see a pricedrop this winter, but maybe a new color (black) console.

- E3 will be insane... they don't know about any of the "megatons" yet, just a few things.

- Company trying to get a publisher for an adult Wii game that could be huge. Game will be unveiled within a couple weeks on IGN if they don't get a publisher within the next couple weeks. Not a garage developer or Tier C dev.

- The IGN Wii Virtual Console game is on hold... they're working more on their full game concept right now.

- Matt says Retro will do something else with Metroid in the future after Prime 3.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/793/793749p1.html

That's not what I heard. Matt said: "I can guarantee that Retro will do something after the Prime trilogy is done." That doesn't suggest they'll be working with Metroid.

Yeah I just heard it. They didn't mention Metroid AT ALL. Only that Retro would definately do something after the Prime trilogy

Linkup

VegaShinra said:
Manhunt 2 is going to be amazing on Wii. I'm interested in the adult Wii game with no publisher. Pick that game up Nintendo and show that you aren't all about kiddy games.

QFT, need more games Nintendo, especially traditional ones that really take advantage of the wiimote.

TheWolf

Banned
Tristam said:
That's not what I heard. Matt said: "I can guarantee that Retro will do something after the Prime trilogy is done." That doesn't suggest they'll be working with Metroid.

Yup.

psy18

thefro said:

Interesting.... *strikes beard*

Tristam said:

Oh...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wiitard said:

It's mainly due to IGN's structure of how they organize their editors. The editors at IGN each work on their own dedicated channels so that each channel dishes out the most content they can for their target audience. It's almost like you're going to an entirely different website each time you change channels on IGN.

However, Gamespot and 1UP tend to blanket their editors across all platforms, so that everybody covers everything. Because Nintendo has been second-rate as far as support and news go in the past two generations, this generally meant that Nintendo got left behind in coverage.

It's a huge reason why IGN gets the vast majority of Nintendo-related exclusives outside of Nintendo Power. It helps when you have Nintendo fans doing dedicated Nintendo content. The other sites don't really have that.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Someone mind telling me exactly why everyone is so hyped about Manhunt 2? :/

The M.O.B

GaimeGuy said:

Rockstar is making it? They enjoyed the first? They like stealth games? You can do all kinds of motion sensing kills?

After seeing the kasper(?) video I was intrigued. Not hard to see why people who enjoy a well done story(from what I can tell) want to play it.

Taxman

GaimeGuy said:
3 simple reasons:
1. It has great buzz from all the people who have seen it (Shane and the IGN guys, for example.)
2. More than just a port of a PS2 game with tacked on motion controls.
3. It's not a minigame compilation.

Top Bottom