• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Launch Korea [hardware & software numbers]

Wii Launch
Wii: 35.000 (50.000 initial shipment)

Wii Sports: 30.000
Swing Golf Pangya 2: 8.000
Zack & Wiki: 8.000
FIFA 08: 2.000
source: http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...ode=GA483630a817896&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ko&tl=en

LTD´s
NDS: 1.500.000 (April 08)
PS2: 1.331.000 (Aug. 07)
360: 150.000 (April 08)
PS3: 50.000 (April 08)
Wii: 35.000 (May 08)
source 1: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2008/05/123_23554.html
source 2: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/konangrit/CEDEC2007-1.jpg

acidviper

Banned
They've been selling chipped Japanese wii's since launch. Nobody in Korea is buying a wii until the new mod chips come in. Copying is rampant here its really too bad. Same with the DS.

kbear

It's surprising that Korea isn't a bigger market. South Korea isn't a 3rd world country or anything. They're pretty advanced and have insane high-tech cell phones. Very similar to Japan. I don't know why console gaming didn't take off there. It's just Starcraft and MMOs.

Acosta

Korea is all about MMOs and Starcraft. It's a shame that Korea has not solid numbers to present for their PC market, that would give another perspective for the "PC gaming is dead" meme.

Eccocid

kbear said:
It's surprising that Korea isn't a bigger market. South Korea isn't a 3rd world country or anything. They're pretty advanced and have insane high-tech cell phones. Very similar to Japan. I don't know why console gaming didn't take off there. It's just Starcraft and MMOs.

cuz they charge a lot for consoles? whats the price of consoles at there? more expensive than EU?

klee123

The hardcore will just stick to the Japanese Wii's. Nintendo is pretty stupid for making a new region code for Korea.

acidviper

Banned
Eccocid said:
cuz they charge a lot for consoles? whats the price of consoles at there? more expensive than EU?
Nope everything is cheaper PS3 is $380 with tax, Wii with no wii sports is $215 with tax. This is the retail store price, so the underground market is a little cheaper.

There is a market for it, but they don't have an established online console community or decent translations. You have to know either English or Japanese.

The hardcore will just stick to the Japanese Wii's. Nintendo is pretty stupid for making a new region code for Korea.
Very smart, no mod chip for the Korea region yet.

cvxfreak

klee123 said:

Nintendo made Korea a separate region from Japan? Wow.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Eccocid said:
That used to be the case with PS2.
Since PSP came out, console and game prices got down to reasonable levels (on par or slightly below US pricing).

acidviper's said:
Very smart, no mod chip for the Korea region yet.
There's already a large gray market (imports) of Wii's here(same thing happened with PS2, the gray market was already half a milion when official console launched), unless it breaks out with non-gamers like DS did, it won't help much of anything.

Pakman

Soule said:
Don't know/care, but if it's on Wii it can obviously do no wrong.

Actually it would probably help push people away from consoles more then attract them to it. SC on Wii would not be playable. Simply not enough keys/buttons on a Wii-mote to have SC playable. At least to a level that Korean gamers would expect from SC.

jesusraz

I'm a bit confused...don't some of the lifetime numbers on that list not match up with the slide in the image? Or am I mis-reading something? What's the PSP total?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jesusraz said:
So selling more than half the PS3s lifetime sales in a month is disappointing?
People probably expected it to ride on DS hype train. That said - I wouldn't put too much stock in those LTDs or Wii's early estimates outside of shipments - there's no real sales tracking going on in Korea, so most sellthrough estimates are about as reliable as a certain banned sales site.
If it sells well, it'll reflect on shipped numbers too anyway.

kbear said:
you dont really want to know the answer to that one....

Tiktaalik

kbear said:

I guess it's just that the major console players didn't spend much time and effort courting the Korean consumer until fairly recently. In the meantime I guess that Korean gamers have been playing free online PC games from their own market, so to switch to console gaming probably looks pretty expensive and irrelevant.

koam

kbear said:

It's probably because they make and play shitty games all the time.

kbear said:

Japanese consoles in Korea...

Terrell

Better than I expected, but not great. Cool how almost every console had Wii Sports purchased with it, though.
The key thing to remember here is how common piracy is in Korea outside of the tech-saavy hardcore. If this strikes a chord with a similar market that it has in other regions, it still might all work out in the end.

klee123

kbear said:

Let's just say that for Koreans, their mentality with software ain't any different from any other Asian market(except Japan and apparantly that's changing too nowadays). To them, they would say "why pay 50USD for a piece of software, when you can BT it?". Add the fact that broadband internet is so advanced there doesn't really help.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
klee123 said:
To them, they would say "why pay 50USD for a piece of software, when you can BT it?".
Yet ironically, they have no problem paying 50$ for a crappy item for their favourite MMO though. Free games with microtransactions aren't just a viable market in these parts, they are the only game market that works, aside for subscription based gaming.

Terrell said:
If this strikes a chord with a similar market that it has in other regions, it still might all work out in the end.
Nintendo has been advertisting to everyone BUT the gamers non-stop for past two years in Korea now. And obviously, it worked a charm with NDS.
It's not stopping piracy though - here, everyone is savy enough to do that.

fernoca

ivysaur12 said:
Wait, really? I thought Zack and Wiki bombed everywhere, what's it's worldwide total sales?
Well, it should be 310,000 now..since 300,000 was before releasing it in Korea...
Probably around 350,000-400,000 since Capcom uses the whole shipped = sold thing.

Considering they were aiming to ship like 200,000 copies..is not bad at all.

apujanata

ccbfan said:
South Korea like Hong Kong will never be a major market until the pirates go away.

IIRC, HK's piracy has gone down severely the last few years. In fact, it is now NOT easy to get pirated DVD games (of course, it is still easy to buy R4 and mod your PSP).

Terrell

Fafalada said:
Yet ironically, they have no problem paying 50$ for a crappy item for their favourite MMO though. Free games with microtransactions aren't just a viable market in these parts, they are the only game market that works, aside for subscription based gaming.

Nintendo has been advertisting to everyone BUT the gamers non-stop for past two years in Korea now. And obviously, it worked a charm with NDS.
It's not stopping piracy though - here, everyone is savy enough to do that.
One could argue that with Nintendo having an actual Korean-operated branch of the company and all, eventually they will try and find steps to resolve this problem, especially if it's in the best interests of the non-microtransaction gaming industry. Nintendo is, was and always will be a strong detractor of piracy, so having an actual company presence in that country finally gives them a little bit of leverage for negotiations with the South Korean government to find out how to curb piracy.

Top Bottom