• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Mini: Exclusive to Canada | Dec 7th @ $99.99 (No internet, no GC support)

jokkir

http://www.nintendo.com/wiimini?country=CA&lang=en/

promo.jpg

---

Taken from the Wii Mini rumor thread. New thread for new news?

Exclusive to Canada
Wii Mini is available exclusively in Canada during the holiday season. No information is available about its potential availability in other territories in the future. Remember that Wii Mini features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit nintendo.com/wiimini.
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/ONIEEqvK1pbPyTbW2lWO6QnPUiqqvuuI

That was quick -- scarcely two hours after Best Buy spoiled the party, Nintendo is launching the Wii Mini. The console is a Canada-exclusive and cuts out both GameCube compatibility and, more importantly, internet access. Gamers in the Great White North can pick one up on December 7th for $100.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/nintendo-makes-wii-mini-official-exclusive-to-canada/

The Nintendo Wii is one of the most influential and best-selling gaming consoles of all time. Featuring one of the largest gaming libraries, the Wii was the first system to bring home affordable motion sensor gaming, and set a standard for gaming consoles and peripherals going forward. On December 7th, Nintendo is ready to re-introduce the Wii, with a twist.

At an introductory price of $99.99, the red and black Wii Mini system comes with the console, sensor bar and a Red MotionPlus controller with Nunchuk.

While the system has no Internet connectivity options or Gamecube support, it features full functionality and compatibility with the Wii’s expansive library of over 1,300 games and its associated peripherals, totaling nearly 1 billion games sold. From the massively popular Mario Kart Wii, to the Legend of Zelda series, the simplified nature of the Wii Mini allows for an easier out-of-the-box gaming experience, and is perfect for those who want to check out the Wii and could not pick up the console before, or a quick addition to a rec or gaming room. If you have a Wii already, a Mini would make a great backup, or travel size companion.

You can also register your Wii Mini with Club Nintendo (club.nintendo.com) and get 100 coins, which are redeemable for everything from exclusive posters and notebooks to games.

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Visit-...y-to-Launch-December-7th-for-99-99/ba-p/53938

Am I reading the no internet connectivity right?

Takao

Banned
Reminds me of that racecar VHS rewinder I had as a kid for some reason. Looked nicer when all we had was one side, lol.

At that price, with no internet options or GC support, it is a rip off. Especially when you consider how cheaply made it looks. No buy for me.

It's very poor on Nintendo's part that the Wii Mini name and design is more distinguishable from the original Wii than the Wii U design and brand is.

Iwata Out.

micster

A hundred bucks. No internet connectivity. What's the fucking point. Much like the PSP re-release with no Wifi, no one wants this shit.

Takao

Banned
Oh shit, I didn't realize they were pulling a PSP Street and taking out the WiFi ... el grande cheapo

A strange decision too since people may have bought it as a very cheap Netflix/Youtube box.

U2NUMB

People are already confused as to what the Wii U is... this might confuse them further. I like the design of it but cutting out internet is such a strange choice.

Like the design. Very old-school.

Still wish they would add GCN backwards compatibility back in. I mean, a top loading drive that can read both Wii and GCN games has GOT to be cheap enough that they could include it, right?

VanWinkle

I loved it when I saw the picture of the box, with the view of the new model from the top, but looking at that angled view...I don't know. Looks a little Fisher-Price.

I may just need to see more pictures. Nice that it's such a different design from the Wii, though.

Could internet connectivity options = LAN adaptor compatability?

It would be crazy to have no network functionality whatsoever -- games like Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros Brawl are utterly dependant on it for maximum fun

It actually looks really cool, as a piece of hardware - I'm not getting the hate (aside from net connectivity if true) -- it looks like the GB Micro of consoles!

Top Bottom