• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
julls said:
people are whining about it being $20 instead of $10?

20 DOLLARS?

fucking cheapskates :lol

Well, some of us are buying four of them so it's no peanuts anymore :p

Btw,
going out tomorrow for M+ and GST, hopefully it's already out here in Italy amd I'm willing to spend a few buck more to have it right now instead of waiting for an online order.
No interest in Tiger since it's been revealed Wii Sports Resorts wil have M+ Golf in it, but man GST, as a former circuit's tennis player myself, I really can't friggin' wait to try it out, I'm hearing amazing things for M+ (and both Tiger and GST).
And I hope this game will make you sweat :)

Do we know already WHICH wireless nunchucks work with the thing?

markatisu

Dash Kappei said:
No interest in Tiger since it's been revealed Wii Sports Resorts wil have M+ Golf in it, but man GST, as a former circuit's tennis player myself, I really can't friggin' wait to try it out, I'm hearing amazing things for M+ (and both Tiger and GST).
And I hope this game will make you sweat :)

I think you will love it, as a former high school player I feel young again.

It makes you sweat a bit, it also has a calorie burning function if you want to use the game for exercise.

Definitely try the online if you can, its great!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really dont know what to buy between Tiger and GST. I usually prefer tennis games over golf, but Tiger seems like it's a better title overall and as a bonus it does come with Motion +, so it is a little less expensive. Decisions, decisions.... :(

I'm waiting until Wii Sports Resort to come out. I don't like golf period...videogames or reality it's just so boring. But I like mini-golf (putt-putt)

I might have to pick up EA Grand Slam Tennis or Virtua Tennis 2009. Wii Sports Tennis is like the best game ever! Too bad they didn't repack all of Wii Sports into Wii Sports Resort ;-;

Red Steel 2 looks good to me though also. 1:1 Swordplay is what we expected on the first game and that didn't happen, so they are trying to redeem themselves!

Jetku

MidnightScott said:
I don't like golf period...videogames or reality it's just so boring. But I like mini-golf (putt-putt)

Good thing Tiger has mini golf..

..and target practice..

..and disc golf..

..and capture the flag..

..and (insert the 10+ other modes)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hey mofos!

2v81tuo.jpg

ei2fwz.jpg

Not my hands by the way.

Now I gotta wait for a game that appeals me (Wii Sports Resort). =/ I just bought it now because I don't want to face any shortages later.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Dash Kappei said:
Well, some of us are buying four of them so it's no peanuts anymore :p

yeah, it's more the 'fuck you nintendo!' mentality of some as if they are out of line even selling the thing to make a profit :p

gonna go hunting for this + grand slam in oz today.

KevinCow

Banned
I am posting here to say that M+ is indeed fucking awesome and I can't wait for some non-sports games to start using it. Not that sports games are bad, I just want to kill shit.

I really hope Nintendo tries to get this thing out there so third-parties have the incentive to develop for it. I think they should include one with every Wii from now on, and offer a Wiimote + Motion+ bundle for $50.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Curious... any idea if m+ can improve upon aiming in FPS games?

can anyone confirm whether or not this works with the Nyko wireless nunchuck? I have been thinking about picking this up after playing some Grand Slam Tennis.....

sprocket

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Curious... any idea if m+ can improve upon aiming in FPS games?

i would say yeah since ot can sense tilt. you wouldnt need to point the wiimote at the screen to aim just tilt and rotate the wii mote. I think that would 250% improvement.

totowhoa

Banned
Excellent :D More mouse-like than ever then, if that's how it turns out. That was my only gripe, albeit a very, very minor one.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
hmmm... maybe the pointer can continue to control the aim while the m+ can be used to control the aim-box view. Outside of turning, perhaps the m+ is subtle enough to allow the screen the slightly shift around as you move the wiimote a few inches to the left-right and up-down.

I dunno.

Motionplus could be used for aiming off screen without the IR pointer. I think that Red Steel 2 uses it to let you turn faster by pointing off screen.

Wow, this is such a huge change.

My only concern is, we get three sports games this week, then Wii Sports Resort next month, then...nothing until Red Steel 2?

Now that I have Motion+ and can see what a huge difference it makes, I don't know if I can go back to waggle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Scrubking said:
Has anyone tried M+ in non-M+ games yet? Does it show any improvement?

I will be seriously surprised if there is any literal improvement beyond a placebo, but a good game to test would be Zack & Wiki.

btrboyev

The M+ seems to make navigating game menus and the dashboard/OS more accurate/easier. Placebo effect?

no. M+ will not make any difference in that regard..it only works with stuff it was designed to work with.

Dash Kappei

My Motion Plus' impressions:

Finally got it, I fuckin had to buy seperately the M+ and GST since the bundles weren't out here in Italy, some made their way in some cities but are really really scarce.

What is the result? Simple, people are buying the game (Tiger Woods isn't out yet in EU) but not the M+ add-on, since the clerks I've spoken to have absolutely no idea what it is for "It amplifies the Wii signal so that you can play being farther from the console" are amongst the ridiculous explanation I've heard more than a couple of times-.

Honestly there was no interest around this long awaited accessory, and it was really really difficult even for the gamestores' clerks to grasp why this device is so good and so important for the games and the new approach to the console's motion controls.

Even the EA games don't do anything to underline the greatness of the motion plus controls, a third of a page in the manual and no real video to show it off in game or something like that, and Tiger Woods is straight and simple but if it wasn't thanks to the post I've read here on how to "tame" M+ on GST and how to play the game I could see how some occasional player can label the controls (and thus, sadly, M+) as broken.
Not including a video tutorial was a criminal mistake on EA's part and Nintendo took it to lightly to leave it to EA to promote the add-on and it's early success just with their games, even that one video released with John Singleton (producer) playing with M+ would have done a whole lot of difference on how to move and hold the remote.

In the end, as a gamer enthusiast and former circuit tennis player I am amazed by M+ and it really is everything I've ever wanted the Wii to be, and it makes me smile that this is just the first game to use it so good times are coming as devs learn to do better with it.
But, while I could never see myself going back to M+ less controls now, my gf, a Mario-Kart/Wii Sports/and such crazy-fan, couldn't really enjoy the new controls nor had the patience/skills to learn them for more than the 20 minutes it gave to the game, and so she was more than happy to go back to the basic Wii remote controls and just leave it at that... and she's loving GST now.

Only Wii Sports could change that, and even that... I don't know.
Hopefully people will buy because it is necessary to play a game they want, but I'm sure they won't even know WHY it is needed and what exactly changes thanks to M+.
They'll probably be pissed and shocked to learn they need to buy another M+ to play multiplayer too, just watch it. :-/

linkboy

MikeE21286 said:
can anyone confirm whether or not this works with the Nyko wireless nunchuck? I have been thinking about picking this up after playing some Grand Slam Tennis.....

It doesn't.

There's two little tabs on the bottom of the adapter that prevent the wireless adapters from plugging into it.

I don't see why they couldn't be sanded off, but I'm not going to try it.

Dash Kappei

linkboy said:
It doesn't.

There's two little tabs on the bottom of the adapter that prevent the wireless adapters from plugging into it.

I don't see why they couldn't be sanded off, but I'm not going to try it.

Maybe the added weight putting pressure on M+'s end could also mess up its calibration since it's not tested to work with it. I'm just speculating of course.

Dash Kappei

That's it, I'm bailing out of updating the OP:

I was redoing the FAQ section and when I went to save the changes everything was wiped out clean :(

I'm so fucking sorry and sad about that, it took me three months of constantly updating and posting to do that OP, hopefully some of you guys still got something out of that while it was there.

We can still (and should) post here about M+ releases and doubts, obviously, and I'll help as much as I can with questions and everything... and I'm sure markitasu and others will have you covered as well.

Zzoram

It would be nice if there was a single thread OP that was updated to give us the key points of how WiiMotion+ makes the games that use it better.

Dash Kappei

Zzoram said:
It would be nice if there was a single thread OP that was updated to give us the key points of how WiiMotion+ makes the games that use it better.

I'm completely open to an OP reboot, so by all means if anybody feels like contributing I'll be more than happy to include that (I can do all the format, just post the text if it's quicker that way) and give ALL credit where credit is due.

The games are out, so it would be cool to see more discussion going on about what you guys are expecting from the next M+ experiences and if you're actually satisfied with what we've got till now.

Top Bottom