• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

bdouble

right and that article was talking about existing games. Doesn't matter.

Bring in the ports of ports to the Wii that now use M+. :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Virtua Tennis with Motion PLUS hands on:

Eurogamer's Virtua Tennis 2009 Motion Plus hands-on

selected quotes:
Sega Producer to EG said:
"I understand our competitors are using... buttons?"
This, his tone implies, is the brave new world of MotionPlus.
Buttons are so last year!.
The EA game uses A and B to modify your swings into lobs and drop shots. This, reckons SEGA, is weak. In VT09 for Wii "To do a lob, you just... do a lob," says my coach, as he generously allows me to be the first journalist to try the game's MotionPlus controls.
-
as soon as you've understood that the machine is no longer reading sign-language in your gestures, it's actually following your movements from one microsecond to the next - it clicks. And it's extraordinarily natural.
-
you can play MotionPlus Virtua Tennis 2009 with or without the nunchuk. With it, you'll have full control of your player's movement. Without, there's a degree of automation, but you can still use the d-pad for more general movement commands, such as rushing the net.
-
Lobs and slams or drop shots are easily executed with, again, slightly exaggerated scooping and slamming motions.
You need to point at your player to re-calibrate the controller between points, but aside from that, it's entirely transparent.
-
It would be going too far to say that the veil between player and machine has been lifted but it's definitely a huge step forward
-
controls and graphics aside, the Wii version has 100 per cent of the content and modes of the PS3, 360 and PC releases, online included.

I quickly dismissed it as a quick cash-in from Sega after Superstars Tennis' success, it seems we might have a WINNAH instead :) and possibily it'll be a close call between this and the promising EA's Grand Slam Tennis.
I was 100% onto the EA game before, but now I really don't know how am I going to decide which one to pick if I can't play with both beforehand :-/

Eteric Rice said:
What does this mean?...

I think they mean that technical issues aren't getting in the way of perceived motion tracking as they were before. It's a more logical, fluid extension of your motions into the game. You're thinking less about how the Wii will or won't register your movements.

Talyn

Easy_D said:
Know what would be awesome with the M+? Penumbra
Hell yes. I recently played through those and every time I fought with the mouse to manipulate an object I thought "this would work so much better on the Wii." Apparently the designers considered that as well, although sadly they've never actually pursued it for whatever reason.

Seems odd and concerning that you have to re-orient the remote after every swing. Isn't the whole point of the device that it can accurately track its position in 3D? You should only have to orient it once

Edit - after every point...still, I don't see why

plank

Dreamwriter said:
Seems odd and concerning that you have to re-orient the remote after every swing. Isn't the whole point of the device that it can accurately track its position in 3D? You should only have to orient it once

You have to point at the sensor bar to calibrate the position of the Wii remote in 3D space relative to your position and the game characters position. There is no other way for the for the game to constantly keep track and calibrate the player's position.

Eteric Rice

How long does recalibration usually take?

I mean, can a first person adventure game with sword play have you pointing at the screen when not in battle (exploring), then fight, and then recalibrate while the player is adventuring again?

plank

Eteric Rice said:
How long does recalibration usually take?

I mean, can a first person adventure game with sword play have you pointing at the screen when not in battle (exploring), then fight, and then recalibrate while the player is adventuring again?

Something along those lines. The game has to be programed very carefully so that it is not that much of a bother when playing between M+ play. I don't really know how long it takes before you have to recalibrate again (probably no more 60 mins, is what I've heard), but the typical sword play usually don't take more that a minute.

Dash Kappei

Dreamwriter said:

It's only after every point, not swing.
No biggie.
That is because your character returns in the neutral position after every point (well, it's tennis) and in that transition the remote and M+ aren't tracked anymore, so it's obvious that you'll have to return the remote itself to a neutral ie trackable position to make the motion controls viable. That wouldn't be the case in an action game where your character simultaneously walks and wields his sword or something: if you then, enter a shop and then exits from said shop then you'll probably have to "reset" the remote's motions tracking from a default position.
Dunno if I made myself clear but oh well :)

pakkit

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

People move around while playing, especially on the Wii. You need to establish where your "dead zone" is by pointing at your avatar, I presume.

Also:
There's also a chunky locking mechanism on the under-side of the device, cunningly hidden by all the glossy publicity photos. Unlocked, a squeeze on the two buttons on the unit's sides will allow its insertion or removal. Locked, this becomes impossible. So the MotionPlus itself, properly used, won't become a deadly projectile with the potential of concussing the cat.

Rejoice! Condoms are only optional (as I predicted earlier)!

Kulock said:
I'm pretty sure, given the context of the question, she was expecting Sega to release 'Samba de Amigo Wii v2: Fuck You Early Adopters Edition", not a proper sequel.
I always took it as "Clone Wars coming out too early for M+? Well your in luck fans! Seeing as they have all the elements down they could make a clone wars sequel with the controls being built for M+ pretty fast! (as in, they already have all the shit in place for the game, they can just make a sequel(s) that focuses on M+ controls. Maybe completely retool the interface or the way you play the game to take full use of M+.)".

I never thought she mean't "they can make cheap cash ins on M+ by re-releaseing the same game with M+!" cause that . . . wouldn't make much sense. Why would Nintendo want 3rd party devs to make re-releases of Wii games with added M+ over them wanting 3rd party devs to make sequels to those games?

later

Ok, riddle me this. when you're playing tennis or doing sword fights, inevitably, the pointer will point to the screen at some point during the action for a split second or so, is this not enough time to do the recalibration? would be much more seamless..

Vinci

Danish
Black-Wind said:
Why would Nintendo want 3rd party devs to make re-releases of Wii games with added M+ over them wanting 3rd party devs to make sequels to those games?

Since when have Nintendo's dreams been shared by 3rd parties?

Vinci said:
Since when have Nintendo's dreams been shared by 3rd parties?
IDk, but I really don't think Cammie was saying "hey, the reg Wiimote sucks soo bad that you can look forward to the M+ release cause 3rd parties can retool their released Wii games and re-release them for M+ in no time!".

Hell, even LucasArts said in their (rumored?) rant that "I guess we have to make another SW game on the Wii" over "I guess we have to re-release our 2 Wii SW games with M+ controls".

later said:
Ok, riddle me this. when you're playing tennis or doing sword fights, inevitably, the pointer will point to the screen at some point during the action for a split second or so, is this not enough time to do the recalibration? would be much more seamless..

This . . .

It's only after every point, not swing.
No biggie.
That is because you character returns in the neutral position after every point (well, it's tennis) and in that transition the remote and M+ aren't tracked anymore, so it's obvious that you'll have to return the remote itself to a neutral ie trackable position to make the motion controls viable. That wouldn't be the case in an action game where your character simultaneously walks and wields his sword or something: if you then, enter a shop and then exits from said shop then you'll probably have to "reset" the remote's motions tracking from a default position.
Dunno if I made myself clear but oh well :)

Dash Kappei

lil' update:

the CONDOM is NOT MANDATORY confirmed, yay!

Also an interesting take on M+ giving and advantage versus player with remote sans the Motion Plus and how it could affect online.

04/17/2009
Hands-on with MotionPlus: Review

tidbits from the hands-on said:
The MotionPlus is still incredibly rare — the unit we played with was one of only two in the entire SEGA organisation.
The MotionPlus itself is small — very small. It's a tiny thing. You can barely feel its weight in your hand, and once it innocuously clips in to the bottom of the Wii Remote, you're hardly aware that it's there.

Yet the MotionPlus makes a difference. The MotionPlus makes the Wii Remote whole. For the Wii controller, as originally implemented, was incomplete. Like a black-and-white TV signal, it needed a little something extra to bring it to life — to enter the world of colour.

That something extra is there. It's hard to describe, but it is real. You know it's real, because it immediately demands that you start playing Virtua Tennis 2009 differently to any other Wii game.

MotionPlus makes for a steeper learning curve. You have to follow through flawlessly to get those slices and lobs just right. The payoff is a level of court dominance that just wasn’t possible when the Wii Remote could only broadly detect movement.

SEGA is sufficiently concerned that MotionPlus gamers might have an unfair advantage in online matches that they’ve added an optional little graphical bar that can appear above each tennis star’s head. Like the swing meter in most golf games, this Visual Assist display will allow low-fi Wii owners to better time their shots and perhaps stave off total pwnage.

So yes, there is one-to-one movement. This subtlety is now captured. The problem is: now that you have it, what do you do with it? Virtua Tennis 2009 offers a deeper, more subtle mode of play, but not a true game of tennis. That would be intimidating; unfair.
Wii gamers just want a fun game of tennis.

Ergo, there must by definition be a compromise between the two extremes of accessibility and perfection.

Virtua Tennis 2009 is a fine game, but it does not show off the full potential of the MotionPlus — we may have to wait for the next installment of Trauma Center, Wii Sports or Boom Blox for that.

There's a new, elongated rubber Wii Remote sleeve to go with the newer, longer controller, once assembled. This, presumably, will launch Day One with the add-on, to prevent any overlap where once again people find themselves flinging the things straight through their plasmas.
There has been some paranoid speculation on the internet that this new rubber sleeve must be permanently held in place with glue. These reports are false; it works just the same as the old sleeve. No need to panic!

There's also a chunky locking mechanism on the under-side of the device, cunningly hidden by all the glossy publicity photos. Unlocked, a squeeze on the two buttons on the unit's sides will allow its insertion or removal. Locked, this becomes impossible. So the MotionPlus itself, properly used, won't become a deadly projectile with the potential of concussing the cat.

Dash Kappei

pakkit said:
I posted that already. -_-

Yes indeed (you did) thanks! :)
I was just posting the update that I made in the OP.

Again, really appreciate it.

The stuff concerning online (default remote vs m+ remote) was really interesting as well.
Sorry if it felt like I left you out man, keep the contributions coming!
plank said:

Thanks.
I've requested a thread's title change but I don't know if it'll go through, it doesn't depend on me, either way I think the OP it's pretty comprehensive now and I'll keep adding important stuff as time goes on so every interesting new tidbit is welcomed here.

I now I can't wait to play all the games with the thing, it feels like if Wii v2.0 is coming...

Davey Cakes

Vinci said:
All the hands-on people are pissing me off. Let me play with the thing too, you creeps.
I'm dying to just toy around with MotionPlus. When WSR comes out, I'll buy it, and then I'll download one of those MotionPlus demos that you see in Youtube.

Vinci

Danish
Rash said:
I'm dying to just toy around with MotionPlus. When WSR comes out, I'll buy it, and then I'll download one of those MotionPlus demos that you see in Youtube.

I'd just like a tech demo for it. Just to fiddle around, see how it responds to the motions of my arms. A virtual toy, I guess.

I don't think $19.99 is an unfair price for the add-on, but $49.99, from a mainstream point of view, may be asking a bit much. Whereas the value of WiiPlay was quite apparent because of the included Wii Remote, WiiMotion+, as evidenced by it's so-so reception by the mainstream press at E3 (a clear contrast to the enthusiasm at the unveiling of WiiFit), I don't think WiiSports Resort's value will be as obvious. I guess we'll see.

I only witnessed one video of Tiger with Motion+ but honestly it didn't look too impressive. I really want this to be all that it's being made to be but from that video it didn't look anymore impressive than the Wiimote by itself. For those who have tried it, is there truly a great delay from the motion of the player to the response on screen?

LovingSteam said:
I only witnessed one video of Tiger with Motion+ but honestly it didn't look too impressive. I really want this to be all that it's being made to be but from that video it didn't look anymore impressive than the Wiimote by itself. For those who have tried it, is there truly a great delay from the motion of the player to the response on screen?

I kind of see what you mean, but what you're talking about may actually relative to the talent of the developer utilizing the technology. It seems weird still using WiiSports as an example, but batting had little or no delay and was, more or less, 1:1. I don't see why WiiMotion+ would be any different. It is a gryoscope. Combined with an accelorometer, the Wiimote is probably the most sophisticated motion-control device there is.

So yes, there is one-to-one movement. This subtlety is now captured. The problem is: now that you have it, what do you do with it?
This has been what 1:1 detractors have been saying for ages but they're usually written off as Wiimote 1.0 apologists. I really wonder though how much fun people will think M+ and its full level of control will be when they realize how uncoordinated they are.

Vinci

Danish
Saint Gregory said:
This has been what 1:1 detractors have been saying for ages but they're usually written off as Wiimote 1.0 apologists. I really wonder though how much fun people will think M+ and its full level of control will be when they realize how uncoordinated they are.

That's the issue they're dealing with, yeah. Which is why one of the devs said they actually had to weaken its sensitivity in order to make sure the game remained playable and fun.

TheGrayGhost said:
I don't think $19.99 is an unfair price for the add-on, but $49.99, from a mainstream point of view, may be asking a bit much. Whereas the value of WiiPlay was quite apparent because of the included Wii Remote, WiiMotion+, as evidenced by it's so-so reception by the mainstream press at E3 (a clear contrast to the enthusiasm at the unveiling of WiiFit), I don't think WiiSports Resort's value will be as obvious. I guess we'll see.
Wii Music is $50 and isn't bundled with any peripheral, yet that managed to sell.

Vinci said:
That's the issue they're dealing with, yeah. Which is why one of the devs said they actually had to weaken its sensitivity in order to make sure the game remained playable and fun.
It'll be interesting to see exactly how something like that will be implemented while still retaining the feeling of full control. I guess in a tennis game they could give you full movement with the racket until the ball gets within a certain radius of the player and then switch to a canned animation but how would something like that work in a sword fighting game?

beef3483

Saint Gregory said:

People were just as uncoordinated the first time they picked up a standard controller. I like being challenged. It's one of the reasons I was so on the Wii bandwagon from the start. Learning new controller mechanics is fun.

Besides, I'm sure devs will compensate.

Vinci

Danish
Saint Gregory said:
It'll be interesting to see exactly how something like that will be implemented while still retaining the feeling of full control. I guess in a tennis game they could give you full movement with the racket until the ball gets within a certain radius of the player and then switch to a canned animation but how would something like that work in a sword fighting game?

I have no idea. Likely it has some sort of motion assist in place, similar to what FPS games on consoles do - to help make the experience smoother and yet provide the same feeling of 'I'm doing it!'

In other words: Lots and LOTS of playtesting. Which they should be doing anyway on Wii games.

EDIT: Seriously, people complain about the Wii's lack of HD so often, and yet if developers were having to both provide HD visuals and create a whole new lexicon for gameplay simultaneously with every release, they'd be broke or hopelessly frustrated.

Vinci said:
I have no idea. Likely it has some sort of motion assist in place, similar to what FPS games on consoles do - to help make the experience smoother and yet provide the same feeling of 'I'm doing it!'

In other words: Lots and LOTS of playtesting. Which they should be doing anyway on Wii games.
Hm, I actually never realized that what they do when developing FPSs. I wonder how many people think that they're master marksmen because of COD4 :lol
Vinci said:
EDIT: Seriously, people complain about the Wii's lack of HD so often, and yet if developers were having to both provide HD visuals and create a whole new lexicon for gameplay simultaneously with every release, they'd be broke or hopelessly frustrated.
I could just be having a revisionist memory about this but I swear in an interview that's exactly what one of the Nintendo execs gave as their explaination to going low-fi with the Wii.
beef3483 said:
People were just as uncoordinated the first time they picked up a standard controller. I like being challenged. It's one of the reasons I was so on the Wii bandwagon from the start. Learning new controller mechanics is fun.
Where were you when we needed an SSX Blur defense force :(

TheGrayGhost said:
I don't think thats the case. From what I remember the press was loving the out-of-no-where M+ reveal but soon after it all turned to crap cause people just bitched about Nintendo's E3 showing.

And I don't think the arvg person truely understond what M+ was nor what 1:1 really was. Hell, I remember Ubishit getting people hyped up for Red Steel by saying it had "1:1 sword fighting using the Wiimote's motion controls! (that was before the game was released and they blamed the Wii's tech for the shitty controls after the fact)" and people were actively debating if the Wiimote had 1:1 controls cause they didn't understand what the differance was. Hell, we still see Gaffers with no clue as to what M+ is or what it does.

Thats the thing that makes me really want to play with M+ RIGHT NOW! Cause I want to know how it feels . . . I know the difference tech wise and what it does but I simply want to see it for myself.

With Wii Fit it was as clear as day . . . stand on this thing and do shit to get in better shape. With M+ they may simply be able to ride on the name "Wii Sports" with a "Oh yeah, you have to buy M+ to play this with anyone else" but I assume that they will do a massive ad drive to show people just what M+ does. So atleast if people don't understand just what it does they will know that it makes the controls better and you need it for Wii Sports 2.

EDIT- OH Shi-! Was looking for a link to make sure my hatered of Ubishit didn't just make up the "Red Steel has 1:1" thing . . . same ghost?

Vinci

Danish
Saint Gregory said:
Hm, I actually never realized that what they do when developing FPSs. I wonder how many people think that they're master marksmen because of COD4 :lol

Aim assist has been common practice on console FPS games for years now, going back as early as Goldeneye on the N64. Some games have more blatant aim assist (as in Goldeneye), while others don't (COD4). It's still there though due to the inherent inaccuracy of analog sticks.

I could just be having a revisionist memory about this but I swear in an interview that's exactly what one of the Nintendo execs gave as their explaination to going low-fi with the Wii.

Perhaps they did. Personally, I think Nintendo simply didn't want to bump up their budgets for games at this time and felt the market wasn't ready for it in the first place. One of the reasons why they might be 'sitting on so much cash,' as some posters like to complain, is due to the knowledge that next-gen they'll be going HD and providing themselves plenty of room to maneuver in given they have trouble with the shift.

jrricky

Banned
Im so confused. Why did EA and Sega decide to flood the market with two tennis games at the same time? I know they want to capitalize on the release but why didnt EA just launch GST with the other versions that are coming in the fall. I dont know which one to buy cause they both look sweet and no I wont buy both. One of these games are going to get cannibalized in sales sadly. :-/

jrricky said:
Im so confused. Why did EA and Sega decide to flood the market with two tennis games at the same time? I know they want to capitalize on the release but why didnt EA just launch GST with the other versions that are coming in the fall. I dont know which one to buy cause they both look sweet and no I wont buy both. One of these games are going to get cannibalized in sales sadly. :-/
Im not against it. Hell, Im more upset that after all this time someone is finally trying to really one-up Wii Tennis . . . took em long enuff!

The sooner the better!

Cheez-It

TheGrayGhost said:

I guess you missed the whole Wii fiasco.

You know, the most successful console launch to date, with no signs of slowing. Guess what a major contributor to this success was?

If you have a shred of doubt about the reception of Wii Sports Resort + Motion+ @ $50, you should stop fucking commenting on a gaming forum.

Dash Kappei

I honestly think the M+ being or not a smashing success and thus proving viable for exclusive/highly enhanced games will be entirely dependent on Wii Sports Resorts.

Any other bundle won't matter or have the kind of impact to actually make a difference.

The balance board is a success because of Wii Fit and it wouldn't be the same in any other way.
A fantastic Wii Balance Board experience like Shaun White would've moved only few hypothetical bundles, it's the same for EA GST and any others which will or will not come in the future.

Somnid

Dash Kappei said:
I honestly think the M+ being or not a smashing success and thus proving viable for exclusive/highly enhanced games will be entirely dependent on Wii Sports Resorts.

Any other bundle won't matter or have the kind of impact to actually make a difference.

The balance board is a success because of Wii Fit and it wouldn't be the same in any other way.
A fantastic Wii Balance Board experience like Shaun White would've moved only few hypothetical bundles, it's the same for EA GST and any others which will or will not come in the future.

This is very important and something that Nintendo has realized while others haven't. You need software targeted at the lowest common denominator to show people why they should be interested.

Davey Cakes

Somnid said:
This is very important and something that Nintendo has realized while others haven't. You need software targeted at the lowest common denominator to show people why they should be interested.
Exactly.

And that has to do with "disruption" strategy as well. Hook them with Wii Sports, reel them in with Mario Kart, catch them with Metroid Prime 3.

The big goal, as I see it, would be to repeat the process starting with Wii Sports Resort and MotionPlus.

gkryhewy

Dash Kappei said:

Agreed, which makes it weird that they're not launching with WSR.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
CONFIRMED:

Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Motion+ bundles in Europe

Tiger Woods bundle in N.A

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/46533/EA-Sports-MotionPlus-bundles

GUILDFORD, UK.– April 21, 2009– EA SPORTS™, a label of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced that the Wii™ versions of both Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 and EA SPORTS Grand Slam® Tennis will be bundled with Nintendo’s new Wii MotionPlus™ accessory when the titles ship to stores this summer in Europe. In North America, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 10 will be bundled with the Wii MotionPlus accessory at launch.

Tiger Woods bundle is mine

jrricky

Banned
Oh wow. I wouldve bought the Tiger Woods bundle if it came before Wii Sports Resort. But this is going to sell shitloads.

Top Bottom