• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii NEWS channel is up (All regions)!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Just tried to log into the shop and was prompted to do a firmware update... I suppose the News Channel is now up?

Off to download...

DDayton

I thought it wasn't supposed to be up until the 27th... however, the Weather Channel and Opera both popped up 24 hours before the "official release", didn't they?

33% downloaded.

Nabs

im going to update in 45min. i dont really care for the news channel, but for some reason i cant wait.

DDayton

Bah. My update conked out around 95%

Downloading again.

(I do wish I could rename this thread to "Wii Firmware Update in the USA!")

justchris

BocoDragon said:
BREAKING NEWS: Nintendo products are awesome!

It wouldn't surprise me if the first thing to show up on the News Channel is Nintendo's announcement of increased profits for the fiscal year.

Why does it seem like it's always hard to connect to the Nintendo network and that the Connect 24 isn't really an always connected system? There's often times where it won't be able to get the latest info until I try to make a connection. Hopefully the news won't be as outdated as the weather. Checking it out now.

RaidenZR

justchris said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the first thing to show up on the News Channel is Nintendo's announcement of increased profits for the fiscal year.

With the "It Prints Money" gif.

justchris said:
itprintsmoney.gif should be the title pic for that.

RaidenZR

Okay this is much more than I was expecting. Very cool. I like when you zoom in and out of text how it kind of semi-rearranges all the words.

Protip: Hold the B Trigger and you can glide the remote to scroll your view.

justchris

Marty Chinn said:
The one thing I hate about the interface is there's no easy way to hit back without pointing at it on the screen.

Have you tried the '-' button, cause that seems the kind of thing '-' was made for.
I can't test it myself, I have to sit here and work <sigh>

RaidenZR

If you guys click the Home button and go to the Operations Manual, there's actually a whole lot of documentation on navigation and hidden features. Using the Dpad left and right lets you quickly cycle through the stories as you're viewing one, btw.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
justchris said:
Have you tried the '-' button, cause that seems the kind of thing '-' was made for.
Actually, that makes text smaller

DDayton

krypt0nian said:
Two stories in the TOKYO region on the March PS3 launch in EUR. :D

If you find that amusing, check out the news in Sacramento.

(Okay, so it's sad, but it is odd.)

Or check out the Seattle news...

chase

Parental controls! Hurray! Seriously, why not make a Friends channel that is subject to parental controls and keep the one friend code thing. That way everybody wins. Friggin' Nintendo.

Updated 27 minutes ago! That's better than I expected. Hilarious music. Slideshow is cool.

Hold down 1 and drag and you can highlight stuff.

You can click on pictures and enlarge them. Cool.

jonezer4

I've had no connection problems for the last 3 weeks, I downloaded the upgrade effortlessly, and now, when I try to do anything online I get a 51030 error: can't connect.

Schweeet.

EDIT: I just checked, and it looks like the update automatically switches your connection settings to number 1. I'm on number 2 where I am currently, so that be the problem.

justchris said:

The - is used for zooming out. There are a few screens where B doesn't seem to be used much and in my opinion, B has the natural feeling of back. A to select, and grab, B to go back IMO. I can navigate the news without pointing at the screen until I have to hit back so it's pretty inconsistant with how I can navigate the rest of the news.

justchris said:

That actually is the oldest story posted for Tokyo.

edit: one of the first stories put up on the wii news lol

Hrm, I feel like the sports section could have been a lot better. Instead of being able to check out the latest scores and standings, it's just a listing of articles. Do they have a sports channel planned in the future?

Deku

Banned
Just downloaded, took about 5 minutes. Will be checking it out now.

I made it a point to check my system memory before downloading and made a note of it and after the DL. The open blocks remain unchanged. Looks like Nintendo had already anticipated the required memory for this channel. Just in case some of you were worried about the downloading taking away from precious VC space.

DL away.

Amir0x

Banned
Pretty neat. Like the weather channel, since I have access to the internet it's pretty useless but still it's very nicely done.

maxmars

I suggest turning off the Wii before updating.. It's only an impression but if you leave it always on (WiiConnect24) it may hang after a few days; I had it crap on me a couple of times since Dec 7th (it's always been on since). I wouldn't want it to freeze while it saves to flash memory.

RaidenZR

Amir0x said:
Pretty neat. Like the weather channel, since I have access to the internet it's pretty useless but still it's very nicely done.

Totally. But the slideshow feature is pretty neat. I could see myself just letting that cycle while I tidy up around the apartment or when I'm unwinding when I get home from work.

Hmm, a story about Snoop Dogg with a dateline of Santa Ana, CA appears to be floating over Costa Rica.

The story has a photo, too, so its Snoop's head floating over Central America.

Hmm, just read the manual. Why does it mention Wii Connect 24? It has nothing to do with the news channel does it? You don't get news till you connect, so it's not updating you contstantly. Speaking of not getting news to connect, it sorta sucks that you only get content when you first start it and won't get new news until you quit and restart it. It would have been cool to just leave it on slide show and have it just pulling the latest news constantly.

RaidenZR

Marty Chinn said:
Hmm, just read the manual. Why does it mention Wii Connect 24? It has nothing to do with the news channel does it? You don't get news till you connect, so it's not updating you contstantly. Speaking of not getting news to connect, it sorta sucks that you only get content when you first start it and won't get new news until you quit and restart it. It would have been cool to just leave it on slide show and have it just pulling the latest news constantly.

I read that too, but I swear I saw the news stories for the Washington Area increase while I was browsing. Maybe just my imagination...

chase

Can you get to the globe without first viewing a news story that has a map attatched?

There are 5 news stories combined for Russia and China. And apparently nothing's going on in Australia or all of Africa!

Cool that the number of stories in an area makes the pile higher.

The way you can scroll through text and zoom truly makes Opera Wii look archaic. Oh, and being able to full size a picture in one click is nice too (and also lacking in Opera).

Really well done, color me impressed! (by the News Channel)

Top Bottom