• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wii owner with sound distortion/crackling issues? PROBLEM SOLVED

jarosh

HAL_Laboratory said:
Seems like you're trading off crackling/distortion for signal degradation, but whatever works. :)
i'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean. do you even know what you're talking about?

jarosh

darthbane2k said:
Im sure it would work great, however back to problem - Im from the UK! There doesnt seem to be any products like this available freely in the UK. Heck even ebay.co.uk comes up with nothing.

I really cannot play my Wii like this any longer, its truly truly terrible.
i have no ****ing clue how it was so hard to find this
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/erol.html

took me 5 SECONDS in google.co.uk

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=rca+attenuator&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB

jarosh said:
i'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to mean. do you even know what you're talking about?

It works the same way as any string of electronic components (you learn this when you record music): the more interruptions in the signal, the more the signal decays.

jarosh

HAL_Laboratory said:
It works the same way as anything else -- you learn this when you record music: the more interruptions in the signal, the more the signal decays.
thanks chum, just what i thought. you have no ****ing clue. i'm an audio engineer. do you have any idea how often di units are used in big studios? it's no different than running your signal through a mixer. and since you know so much about this, i suppose you also know about the terrible "signal degradation" you get from that. LOL

jarosh said:
thanks chum, just what i thought. you have no ****ing clue. i'm an audio engineer. do you have any idea how often di units are used in big studios? it's no different than running your signal through a mixer. and since you know so much about this, i suppose you also know about the terrible "signal degradation" you get from that. LOL

So you're trying to tell me running something via composite input through a device, to ANOTHER device, causes absolutely no loss of sound quality? I'll agree that high-end DI units prevent most of this loss, but it's not as pure as running the cables straight into the reciever from the Wii.

jarosh said:

Jarosh, in your professional opinion would you say that this problem is a mistake on the part of Nintendo, or just bad luck on my part because of my reciever?

jarosh

HAL_Laboratory said:
So you're trying to tell me running something via composite input through a device, to ANOTHER device, causes absolutely no loss of sound quality? I'll agree that high-end DI units prevent most of this loss, but it's not as pure as running the cables straight into the reciever from the Wii.
what i'm saying is that it's the same "signal degradation" you get from running something through a mixer. it's absolutely negligible. it IS. and to suggest that this isn't a worthy trade-off against crackling/distortion is just stupid. why would you even comment on that since you don't have the problem and don't know just how bad it actually is?

darthbane2k said:
£40??

No f**kin way im spending that to fix a problem that should not exist
i'm not gonna find the cheapest one for you. you can do that yourself.

just a few posts ago you said this:
darthbane2k said:
I cannot for the life of me find any 6dB RCA ATTENUATORS at any UK online store
darthbane2k said:
There doesnt seem to be any products like this available freely in the UK
and it took me 5 seconds to find them on google uk. so i'm not convinced you're searching hard enough.

darthbane2k said:
Jarosh, in your professional opinion would you say that this problem is a mistake on the part of Nintendo, or just bad luck on my part because of my reciever?
i really can't say that. it's only a problem with certain tvs/receivers. it's entirely possible that nintendo ****ed up though. but the wii's sound output isn't necessarily too loud by default or else you'd have the distortion problem on ANY setup.

Diggler

He's right actually. That 40 quid plug is the only one seemingly available in Europe.

I just spent 2 hours looking for one myself.

Crazy.

syfodyas

Banned
Can someone assist with this?

I have the same problem
Noticed when cranking Zelda through the surround sound system last night.
I too am from the UK and cannot find an affordable option. Maplin seems to have nothing..

syfodyas

Banned
VideoMan said:
Ok, the new attenuators arrived today. PERFECTION! They sound great and have completely solved the crackling problem on my Samsung HDTV.

Here's the link to the ones I bought via Amazon.com for anyone else interested:

http://www.amazon.com/HARRISON-LABS-LINE-LEVEL-ATTENUATOR/dp/B0006N41AG/sr=11-1/qid=1165507878/ref=sr_11_1/104-1158184-2771954

These are the 6dB ones (lowers the volume by 6 decibels), which work great for the problems I was having (sound crackling only at certain times like in the 2nd dungeon and bombs exploding in Zelda). They also make a stronger 12dB version which might be better for the people who are having distortion problems even in the Mii channel and Photo channel.

These attenuators are also a bit of a more elegant solution being as they're small adapters about the size of a AA battery that plug into the ends of the Wii cables, rather than a box (which would also require a second patch cable to run from the box to your television/stereo).

Gonna have to import these in from the USA.
Im not sure whether to go for the 6db or the 12db without screwing up my entire setup!?
Can someone advise?

I have crackling, distorted audio in

- Wii Sports menu background music
- Wii sports jingle (disc channel)
- Zelda jingle (disc channel)
- Mii channel jingle music
- Photo channel jingle music
- Zelda title screen music
- Some Zelda sound effects.

jarosh

you won't screw up your setup with either one of them. attenuators just reduce the volume before the sound goes into the receiver/tv. the 6 db one should be fine. -12 db is a little much - i don't think that's needed.

8bit

Knows the Score
jarosh said:
interdiscount. i settled for the 55w one. since the wii only needs like 43w. 55w is the absolute max you can get in 'regular' stores like media markt or id. for more wattage and MUCH higher prices: www.distrelec.ch.

you... are swiss... you wouldn't ask that otherwise, would you?

Hey jarosh,
could you tell me the name/model number of the stepdown you got? My US Twilight Princess arrived for the US GC, but my stepdown isn't working.
Thanks!

jarosh

8bit said:
Hey jarosh,
could you tell me the name/model number of the stepdown you got? My US Twilight Princess arrived for the US GC, but my stepdown isn't working.
Thanks!
MINVA MW55
STEP-DOWN CONVERTER

jarosh

8bit said:
Thanks! Now I have to go to Interdiscount XXL on the busiest shopping day of the year.
you poor boy.
i bet they only have one kind of step-down anyway and that's either the minva one or some other no-name converter with ~55w.

herod

I've experienced this problem using the pack leads WITHOUT the audio cables being connected. It seems like the video signal must be too strong? I've since changed to using an RGB Scart cable and the problem has disappeared.

ninge

bump for the UK people still looking for a solution. try "goldenjacks" on google or ebay i just picked up a pair for 24 quid.. almost half the price of the previously suggested solution.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
very sorry for the ancient bump, but since the search is down this is the best thread i could find for my problem.....

the sound my wii puts out through component is almost twice as loud and twice as harsh and distorted as the other systems on my hdtv. sound's outputted through 2.1 analog speakers, and messing with sound settings (stereo, surround) doesn't really change much.

i saw this link for an attenuator (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006N41AG/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and really wanted to know if others here have had the same problems and have bought this thing and got it to fix the issue. thanks.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just got a Wii and I am having the same distorted audio problems with my component cables, and I have to say WTF Nintendo? Audio sounds fine using the composite cables, but as soon as I got my component cables I immediately heard the difference. I thought it was my cables until I did some research on the net. I do not get how they missed this. The opening chime when you turn on the Wii is distorted as hell for me, and I have to adjust my volume down to 3 for an acceptable audio level (but it still distorts). I really do not feel like shelling out $25 for damn attenuators but it seems like my only option.

Is there any updated fix for this issue or am I stuck with attenuators?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh man, i'm glad this thread was bumped, i've lately discovered an alternate fix to this issue: disconnect your wii and then just get rid of it because it's a piece of shit and you don't ever use it anyway

drohne

audiophiles have measured the total harmonic distortion of no wii at all at an astonishing 0.000000 %

it's really the only way to go if you care about audio. or if you care about games. or if you don't care about audio or games but have no special predilection for keeping useless pieces of shit around the place

drohne

beelzebozo said:
just end yourself, you waste of space.

that's not the way to go about it at all, don't apostrophize the thing, pertinent apostrophes, such as 'you distorter of audio,' or 'you alleged game console,' howsoever they may ease the heart, cannot correct the wii's sound/distortion crackling issues, or the wii's not having any games issues, or the wii's being a piece of fucking shit issues, apostrophes however spirited cannot speak to these matters, it's an inanimate object, man, get hold of yourself, man, a wii is indeed an egregious waste of the little space it occupies, but don't tell it to end itself, end it for it, see post #75 for detailed instructions

drohne said:
audiophiles have measured the total harmonic distortion of no wii at all at an astonishing 0.000000 %

it's really the only way to go if you care about audio. or if you care about games. or if you don't care about audio or games but have no special predilection for keeping useless pieces of shit around the place

Thanks for the wonderful fucking insight and the high quality posts. It's members like you that keeps these boards at the top.

drohne

i have expanded and rephrased post #81 after thinking about it on the toilet. admirable seat! most suited to thoughts of wii, being, as you are, shiny and white, and being, as you are, the appropriate receptacle for pieces of shit

drohne said:
i have expanded and rephrased post #81 after thinking about it on the toilet. admirable seat! most suited to thoughts of wii, being, as you are, shiny and white, and being, as you are, the appropriate receptacle for pieces of shit

:lol

Top Bottom