• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Pal 480p confirmed

lappy4711

From swedish distributor Bergsala (translated):

Of course there will be support for component 480p.
You have nothing to worry about.
Best regards
Joachim Andersson
Club Nintendo / Bergsala AB

Check my post history.
I've confirmed this about 10 times in the last 2-3days.
Edge confirmed it in an interview with the NoE marketing guy

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'll wait for confirmation from my PR rep, because its probably not something they would tell us other wise :/

Bobety

DefectiveReject said:
Check my post history.
I've confirmed this about 10 times in the last 2-3days.
Edge confirmed it in an interview with the NoE marketing guy

You should have made a thread about it to let us all know then! I've been dying to know about this.

VOOK said:
I'll wait for confirmation from my PR rep, because its probably not something they would tell us other wise :/

I have a PAL Wii Debug Unit and it supports EDTV right out of the consoles menu. You can also choose between 50Hz (576i) and 60Hz (480i). I just forgot to take a look if it says 480p or 576p for EDTV. I'll check later. But it definitely supports EDTV.

Bobety said:
You should have made a thread about it to let us all know then! I've been dying to know about this.
I’ve dropped it into every damn Wii thread there is!! (and there’s a lot of them!) Also UK retailers are selling the Component cables

VOOK

Yeah saw the EDTV option, hopefully it has progressive.

I dont even know if I can use it though :/

dreamkats said:
NoE also said they wasn't any DS redesign...

I hate NoE... and I'll still import my Wii from the us
I luv u reggie
Yep
Because NoE are really gonna steal NCL’s thunder and announce the DSlite before they do……………

Why the hell would they support 576p? 50hz is SLOW, all HDTVs (EDTVs as well but they're virtually nonexistant in europe) support 480p as well as 576p and 480p is what the games are designed to run at anyway.

480p>>>576p

Great news though, now all they need to do is make sure that Europe gets the games that never came out in PAL regions on the Virtual Console. I'm looking at you Super Mario RPG!

Edit: I'm still getting the US version anyway, I'm not falling into their trap again! Something will go wrong, whether it be delays, features cut out or games not even coming out here at all.

My tv doesn't even support progressive scan, why must these companies implement tech that doesn't even concern me!!! :0 They should concentrate on making an interlaced game because it'll have better graphics, everyone knows that making a game progressive scan eats up so much processing power, and I don't even have a progressive scan tv, why are Nintendo doing this, these companies are too concentrated on making me buy new TVs, I can't afford a new TV, they should just make a better looking game at 480i and reduce the price of the Wii, if they weren't interest in making some power house console that can do progressive scan I'm sure they'd be able to take £20 off the price or at least put in an RF adaptor. All these game companies are concentrating on things that don't matter to gamers, why :(

VOOK

Dont worry I got someone asking tonight, probably wont get an answer ;)

I sent a email off but no response, If I go to one of these I will ask myself ;)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Why the hell would they support 576p? 50hz is SLOW, all HDTVs (EDTVs as well but they're virtually nonexistant in europe) support 480p as well as 576p and 480p is what the games are designed to run at anyway.

480p>>>576p

Haha? :lol

50hz is worse than 60hz, but it's not a problematic thing. The difference between 480 lines and 576 lines on the other hand is quite huge and in terms of HDTV over here most of them have 768 lines which means that scaling from 576 lines is easier (*4/3 vs. *8/5) and therefore will generate a much better picture (on top of the obviously better picture due to the 576 lines)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Great news though, now all they need to do is make sure that Europe gets the games that never came out in PAL regions on the Virtual Console. I'm looking at you Super Mario RPG!

Just forget about it. They would have to optimize the game for 50Hz and translate it into the gazillion languages we've got over here.

tirant

Frankfurter said:
Haha? :lol

50hz is worse than 60hz, but it's not a problematic thing. The difference between 480 lines and 576 lines on the other hand is quite huge and in terms of HDTV over here most of them have 768 lines which means that scaling from 576 lines is easier (*4/3 vs. *8/5) and therefore will generate a much better picture (on top of the obviously better picture due to the 576 lines)

QFT. 576p should be used for the Wii dashboard and Opera and leave 480p@60hz for games.

travisbickle said:
My tv doesn't even support progressive scan, why must these companies implement tech that doesn't even concern me!!! :0 They should concentrate on making an interlaced game because it'll have better graphics, everyone knows that making a game progressive scan eats up so much processing power, and I don't even have a progressive scan tv, why are Nintendo doing this, these companies are too concentrated on making me buy new TVs, I can't afford a new TV, they should just make a better looking game at 480i and reduce the price of the Wii, if they weren't interest in making some power house console that can do progressive scan I'm sure they'd be able to take £20 off the price or at least put in an RF adaptor. All these game companies are concentrating on things that don't matter to gamers, why :(

:lol

Not worth the trade off IMO. Sure the scaling will be better, but would you really want play a slower version of your games? (I own both a PAL and an NTSC N64 and despite the fact that the PAL version looks better, I can't stand the speed reduction)

Just forget about it. They would have to optimize the game for 50Hz and translate it into the gazillion languages we've got over here.

60hz and English only?

Chrono

Banned
travisbickle said:

good stuff. :lol

Good news.
Now that we know everything (maybe one last secret :D ) when will we have the first tests of the launch titles ?
There is not a really big choice but it's hard to make a simple decision (too many "maybe" games )

SuomiDude

BlindN-Fan said:
How exactly do Germans get to review first?
They probably looked some pics and videos of the game, and read other sites/magazines' previews of the game, and there you go: the world's first Wii game review...

Koren

Depending on the games, 576p@50 can be far far better than 480p@60... As long as :
- game is at 50/60fps (25fps is nearly unplayable, even if we have had that for Zelda for years -TP is 50/60 on Wii though-)
- it's not very fast motion like fps/driving and such

lappy4711

Well I asked the swedish distributor about 576p. Here is the reply:

Hello again,
The support is for 480p, higher resolutions are not supported.
Best regards
Joachim Andersson
Club Nintendo / Bergsala AB

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
BlindN-Fan said:
How exactly do Germans get to review first?

I know, it's outrageous. America should get everything first always.

Feindflug

It's good to hear that the PAL Wii has a 480p option, now all we have to see is how many Wii PAL games will support 480p... ;)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Feindflug said:
It's good to hear that the PAL Wii has a 480p option, now all we have to see is how many Wii PAL games will support 480p... ;)
I dont see developers taking that option out once they put it in for the ntsc versions....

Koren

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I dont see developers taking that option out once they put it in for the ntsc versions....
You mean... like all PS gamecube games ?

With freeloader and NTSC games, PAL GC are able to put 480p. The need of a 50/60 switch may be a (bad) reason to drop 480p. I surely hope not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Feindflug said:

What happens when you set the console to 480p and then put in a game that doesn't support 480p?

I assume since Nintendo this time made 480p something you set on the wii user interface (as seen as ign weekly #30) that means that they are making it mandatory for developers to make their games all 480p capable?

Thraktor

Koren said:
Depending on the games, 576p@50 can be far far better than 480p@60... As long as :
- game is at 50/60fps (25fps is nearly unplayable, even if we have had that for Zelda for years -TP is 50/60 on Wii though-)
- it's not very fast motion like fps/driving and such

Personally I can't tell the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz (and to be honest I don't think the average person can), but can definitely tell the difference between 576 and 480 lines of resolution, so as long as the games I want to play aren't 25Hz, I'd choose 576p every time.

hirokazu

Thraktor said:
Personally I can't tell the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz (and to be honest I don't think the average person can), but can definitely tell the difference between 576 and 480 lines of resolution, so as long as the games I want to play aren't 25Hz, I'd choose 576p every time.

yeah i'm usually more bothered by the lower resolution with 480p as i tend to notice that more than the 50Hz/60Hz difference, depending on how bad the frame rate is.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
i dont get it. Why cant 576p be at 60hz? And i thought there were common standards to follow in regards to hdtv resoltions all over the world?

edit: I cant type for shit right now.

maxmars

And i thought there were common standards to follow in regards to hdtv resoltions all over the world?

The beauty of standards is that there are so many you can choose from! (quote?)

hirokazu

i dont get it. Why cant 576p be at 60hz? And i thought there were common standards to follow in regards to hdtv resoltions all over the world?

edit: I cant type for shit right now.

the standards for HDTV seem to be the same - 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc (except i think in PAL regions, HDTV broadcasts still run at 50Hz rather than 60Hz - it does in Australia anyway)

but EDTV is still differentiated by 480p/60Hz and 576p/50Hz :/ i think the overwhelming reason they kept the 576p/50Hz standards for PAL EDTV is so that they can easily convert SDTV content for broadcast in EDTV or HDTV without messing with the framerate too much or something.

i guess its possible for HDTV displays to show 480p/50Hz or 576p/60Hz, but these are not standard formats.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I think 576p/60hz is a standard res for HDTVs in Europe, atleast on Sammys sold in Sweden, because they list 1080i, 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p as supported resolutions on most of their facts sheets.

Top Bottom