• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii production to end soon

deleted

I wonder why they don't try the way of sony and bring the system to markets where it wasn't sold before. IIRC they sold around 40-50 million in markets like Brazil after they launched the PS3.

Especially if you consider the small plastic Wii.

Whatever the case, it was a great console that constantly had to play below it's true potential but had amazing games nevertheless.

Josh7289

It had an amazing run until about 2010, then Nintendo forgot about it. They should have released the Wii U right then, when software support for the Wii dried up but the brand was still relatively strong.

masud

Banned
I had a lot of fun playing wii sports tp and the first galaxy game but I ended up selling my wii after a couple years I was at a point in my life where local multi play wasn't an option and I just couldn't deal with the graphics on my hdtv. Sold it for a 360 (which I then sold even faster than my wii). My least favorite Nintendo console but the wiimote was a success as a controller. I hope it gets a lot more support on the wii u

This is the most underrated plattform ever. So many awesome games that got neglected because of the kiddy/casual stigma and the hate from graphic-fanboys. It was also the system that rejuvenated console 2D-plattformers - and the system that told the world that you can be successfull with innovation in other areas than only graphics - all things I am very grateful for.

It was neglected by me because of how awful it looked any HD TV. I'd had a 360 since launch, so Wii was a downgrade I couldn't stomach. It wasn't me being a "graphics whore", just couldn't stand the unbelievable amount of jaggies and blur. If I'd still be using a SD CRT, I'm sure that wouldn't have been an issue.

But I'm fully aware of how many incredible games were on the system that I missed out on, I just couldn't stand the SD. On the contrary, Wii U is HD anyway so I have no issues with its graphical inferiority compared to PS4/XB1.

Nikodemos

It was neglected by me because of how awful it looked any HD TV.
I suspect this is one of the reasons why the Wii faltered after 2010, along with the lack of an HDMI connector. With HDTVs becoming commonplace, the little Wii simply couldn't compete in even average graphical quality.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's a crap machine but it still gave me Zelda: SS... so I guess I like it anyway.

Mokubba

It doesn't even have a HDMI port. Every gadget you plug in to your TV is HD (at least upscaled) these days and has HDMI. It's outdated technology. Either they update it to meet current standards, or they stop producing it. It's better for them to focus on saving Wii U now IMO, especially as it has Wii compatibility anyway.

PS2 doesn't have a HDMI port either and it's even more outdated but the emerging markets ate it up which is what I thought Nintendo would have done with the Wii, especially after seeing that cheap red one they released in Canada.

Fox Mulder

Great little system with a bunch of hidden gems.

feels weird to kill it so soon, but Nintendo abandoned it years ago.

would have liked a solid last model like the playstation has each time, but the Wii mini is a piece of shit.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Onto bigger things! Loved the Wii and Nintendo's output.

Jack cw

I regret buying it at launch. Played it a few times with friends but for the last 5 years I didnt even turned it on once. Personally this console made me finished with Nintendo.

Goodnight sweet prince.

My favorite system by Nintendo since the SNES.

After the SNES era moved on, I left Nintendo. I was strictly a Playstation man from then on. It was the Wii that got me to dive head first back to Nintendo, and I've loved every minute of it.

MYE

I was actually going through a Playstation only phase with only a PS2 and PSP. Wii brought me back to nintendo in a HUGE way and I suddenly realized that my growing disinterest in gaming and not having a nintendo system were related.
By the end of the PS2 gen I was almost completely done with this form of entertainment. PSP was a huge letdown in retrospective too.
Bless Galaxy and that Wii remote for igniting the love for games again back in 2007

I regret buying it at launch. Played it a few times with friends but for the last 5 years I didnt even turned it on once. Personally this console made me finished with Nintendo.

The first step to enjoy a system you own is to turn it on. And buy something to play on it.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Goodnight sweet prince.

My favorite system by Nintendo since the SNES.

After the SNES era moved on, I left Nintendo. I was strictly a Playstation man from then on. It was the Wii that got me to dive head first back to Nintendo, and I've loved every minute of it.

This is me as well. So underwhelmed by the N64 and NGC - but freaking loved the Wii!

synce

It didn't take very long for people to get over the motion control fad did it? I expected a decade out of a console so praised

lefantome

That was quick, a fast burn leaded by the motion control trend that quickly faded.

Now it risk to end the current gen in third place. Ps3 is probably going to be really close to it by aprile 2014...

Nymphae

Banned
Wii is the only Nintendo home console I never purchased (Well, and WiiU). I give it props for being so disruptive to the industry, but it never seemed interesting enough for me to buy. The only thing I'm kind of bummed I missed is Super Mario Galaxy, but I'll get over it.

Can still remember trying to find one in the shops. Lost track of the number of places I phoned. Finally tracked one down a few months after launch. Amazing.

Best console I've ever owned, got to say, probably the best I will ever own for sheer fun.
Played games with friends / family that I'd never expected to play games with before.
The Wii was bought along to lots of family get togethers and was always the focal point.
Got this photo of my technophobe mother and her sister playing tennis the night before my sisters wedding. Just getting my mother to play a game seems crazy, even now.

Wii like to play by Owen Rhys Williams, on Flickr

Amazing pic haha!
I wish I could convince my father to do the same.

Kaworu

Nintendo probably have some millions left between the unsold but already distributed and the yet to be shipped to retailers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Great console, in my opinion. Had some of the best games I've played last gen (Super Mario Galaxies, Super Paper Mario, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Bit.Trip franchise, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Metroid Prime Trilogy), and still several more I never got to try. The Virtual Console was a fantastic addition, and I also got to play a few GameCube games that I had missed due to not owning said console.

There were also homebrew games, thanks to which I was able to finish Quake without cheats for the first time.

Dremark

Banned
Yep. The PS2 lasted 12 years and the PSone lasted 11.

The PlayStation consoles were supported for a while though. The Wii started losing steam fairly quickly and while it still had some games coming out, it was pretty much on it's way out by the time the WiiU was announced.

ALM5252

8535544887708532.jpg

I just noticed that the two discs in "Revolution" represent the Wii Game Disc and GameCube Disc. Lol

I used to wonder why they were different sizes!

jcm

That seems early. They don't want to try to move it in developing nations? Wait to see what happens in china?

You've earned it, Wii.

Over 100 million units sold, and absolute dominance of the generation it existed in. Now, your tech lives on in your successor, and your dev/gameplay/design tenets live on in the games for the 3DS/Wii U.

The Wii/Wii Mini is still gonna sell for the next few years, so they'll still be getting $$$ from it just like the DS family. Now we'll see if the Wii U can turn things around and become a workhorse like its predecessor!

Turrican3

Probably my all-time favourite gaming system, arguably one of the most innovative ever. I guess it will take quite some time for the industry to produce another revolution like this.

Lots of great games and hidden gems... and by the way I'm glad Nintendo hasn't ditched the wiimote.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
It's my least loved Nintendo system that I owned but it still delivered bringing some quality games and dared to do something different. I just hoped it had a better third party support.

MMaRsu

Banned
Omg why would Nintendo do this? They have got such an impressive add-on with the gamepad called the wiiu.

Top Bottom