• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii production to end soon

To be honest I didn't like the Wii because I think Ps3 and Xbox360 are better machines and motion controls are just gimmicks.

After several years, I got a Wii U, and I am now enjoying those gimmicks and appreciated that games are not just about the graphics, but the experience.

Hats off for this underrated console.

Nicest comment I read in a long while!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Still got my launch Wii. The system that could indeed. Both Galaxies, Zeldas, Wii Sports and an amazing virtual console.
I started off hating waggle controls and all these years later, I still do. But I'll be damned it certainly led to some of the best games I've ever played.

This thread reminds me. It is too soon; we never got platinum or apple green systems.
hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054852879-000.jpg
I totally forgot about A and B and a and b. Pleased they changed a and b into 1 and 2. Imagine situation of "Press the b button, no the b button not the B button...". Still it makes me wonder why Nintendo thought such confusing names would be a good idea *looks at 3DS, 2DS, DSi, Wii and Wii U and then realises confusing names are a part of Nintendo*

Considering how poor the general quality of Wii games have been the past couple of years this is probably long overdue. Have Nintendo even released a game on it since SkyWard Sword?

Steroyd

As much as I'll salute the Wii, it was also the worst Nintendo console I've ever owned, didn't buy one till after it was dead (and GAME was dying hur hur hur), and I've only bought 1st party games, I should really fix that last point but still my drive to consume games on the system was practically non-existant compared to every other Nintendo system I've owned.

Eusis

Considering how poor the general quality of Wii games have been the past couple of years this is probably long overdue. Have Nintendo even released a game on it since SkyWard Sword?
Their last release period was Kirby Dream Collection as I recall.

It's not too surprising that the production is wrapping up so early because Nintendo left the console behind a long time ago. Nintendo had a mega console and failed to support it properly for it to have the long tail that we've seen with previous consoles or that we're even seeing with the PS3 or 360. It's also strange that they didn't support it since they do have a lot of developers, so it's not like they couldn't afford to.

Zalman

Highly underrated console in the hardcore gaming community. It had at least as many good games as the previous Nintendo consoles did.

I'm kind if surprised. I had assumed that they would transition to the Wii mini as a more cost effective hardware for secondary markets, keeping it going for years the way the PS2 did.

Ein Bear

Waaaaaay prior. That whole Xenoblade situation, to me, was the part where I realize NoA didn't care about me.

But they listened to you and released the game you wanted, how is that them 'not caring about you'?

The whole Xenoblade thing seemed pretty pro-customer, to me. They didn't think the game would sell, the fans assured them it would, so they listened and released it.

Comandr

Rest in piece you wagglin piece of shit :(

Holy shit I thought I was going to did laughing at this comment.

We had some good times, Wii, but you are the ex that I fooled around with for a hot minute and spawned the demonic love child successor I never wanted.

I wonder if I still have GameCube's number?

Goodlife

Can still remember trying to find one in the shops. Lost track of the number of places I phoned. Finally tracked one down a few months after launch. Amazing.

Best console I've ever owned, got to say, probably the best I will ever own for sheer fun.
Played games with friends / family that I'd never expected to play games with before.
The Wii was bought along to lots of family get togethers and was always the focal point.
Got this photo of my technophobe mother and her sister playing tennis the night before my sisters wedding. Just getting my mother to play a game seems crazy, even now.

Wii like to play by Owen Rhys Williams, on Flickr

klausbert

Wow, that's a really early point to end production. They should keep on making them, even if it will eat up a bit of their Wii U sales.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
But they listened to you and released the game you wanted, how is that them 'not caring about you'?

The whole Xenoblade thing seemed pretty pro-customer, to me. They didn't think the game would sell, the fans assured them it would, so they listened and released it.

Actually, Gamestop assured them it would sell. Why do you think it was exclusively released there?

Ulumsk

Despite getting one close to launch for Twilight Princess(big mistake) I have probably played more Wii games through Dolphin emulation than on the Wii hardware. Weird piece of kit.

It doesn't even have a HDMI port. Every gadget you plug in to your TV is HD (at least upscaled) these days and has HDMI. It's outdated technology. Either they update it to meet current standards, or they stop producing it. It's better for them to focus on saving Wii U now IMO, especially as it has Wii compatibility anyway.

MYE

I dont regret getting it, Wii Sports was stunning at the time, and Wii Fit was amazing............ but i haven't touched it in 3 years, and i probably never will again.

Even my old PS2 and Dreamcast gets more use.

If those two games are what you took from it, you horribly neglected the system.
No wonder even Dreamcast gets more use

Nikodemos

Nintendo was the first console maker to go for women as their target audience. And it worked. For a while, at least. It seems most Wiis on my local online marketplaces have women as their soon-to-be previous owners.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is the most underrated plattform ever. So many awesome games that got neglected because of the kiddy/casual stigma and the hate from graphic-fanboys. It was also the system that rejuvenated console 2D-plattformers - and the system that told the world that you can be successfull with innovation in other areas than only graphics - all things I am very grateful for.

Porcile

Amazing console. The amount of ignorance directed to it - from gamers to professional journalists - over the course of it's life was outstandingly baffling at times.

What???

I've only just bought one on eBay!

(Purchased for balance board for WiiU Fit when it arrives and also to play my Gamecube games via component rather than composite, refuse to pay over £80 for a cable)

There's probably enough manufactured to keep sales (either as a budget system or in poorer countries) going for another year or 2 anyway

AmyS

Bought a Wii at launch, waited 6 hours inside a Walmart Super Center to get it and TP.
Glad I got Wii even though I didn't buy more than 20 retail games. I still feel the first Super Mario Galaxy is the finest game Nintendo has ever created.

Sold an incredible amount of consoles worldwide, 100M+ but sadly won't live as long as other systems like Atari VCS/2600, NES, Neo Geo, PS1 or PS2.

RIP

Sadist

That's pretty quick.

But rest assured, you had your time. You will always be the little white console that could.

pinny

Banned
Nintendos worst console by far. I payed over 400 euros at launch just to play a fucked up version of TP two weeks earlier, lol.

Yagharek

Amazing console. The amount of ignorance directed to it - from gamers to professional journalists - over the course of it's life was outstandingly baffling at times.

Indeed. Some of the reactions were, and still are, a sad indictment on this industry, the journalists reporting on it, and the customers it attracts.

plank

From that other thread

Everything listed in this thread so far:

Retail
A Boy and His Blob
A Shadow's Tale
Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories (J) (PAL)
Arc Rise Fantasia
Batman - The Brave and the Bold: The Videogame
Battalion Wars 2
Blaster Works: Build - Trade - Destroy
Bloom Blox
Bully - Scholarship Edition
Broken Sword: Shadow ofthe Templars - The Director's Cut
Captain Rainbow (J)
Calling
Castle of Shikigami III
Castlevania Judgment
Cursed Mountain
Dance Dance Revolution
Dawn of Discovery
de Blob 1 & 2
Deadly Creatures
Dead Space: Extraction
Disaster: Day of Crisis (J) (PAL)
Disney Guilty Party
Dokapon Kingdom
Domino Rally/Minon: Everyday Hero
Dragonball: Revenge of King Piccolo
Dragon Quest - Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Earth Seeker (J)
Elebits
Endless Ocean 1 & 2
Escape from Bug Island
Excite Bots
Excite Truck
Eyeshield 21: The Field's Greatest Warriors (J)
Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly (J)
Fatal Frame 4 (J)
Final Fantasy fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Fishing Resort
Flingsmash
Fortune Street
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
G1 Jockey
Geometry Wars: Glaxies
Ghost Squad
Godfather, The
Goldeneye 007
Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns Arcade Hits Pack
Harvery Birdman: Attorney at Law
Heatseeker
Heavenly Guardian
House of the Dead 2&3
House of the Dead: Overkill
Ivy the Kiwi
Kirby: Return to Dreamland
Klonoa
Kore Gang, The
Koropina: Marble Mania
Koropina: Marble Saga
Last Story, The
Let's Tap
Little King's Story
Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked
Major Minor's Majestic March
Manhunt 2
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metal Slug Anthology
Metroid: Other M
Mini Ninjas
MLB Power Pros
Monster Lab
Munchables, The
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Mushroom Men
Need for Speed: Nitro
Nights: Journey into Dreams
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2:Desperate Struggle
Okami
One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers
Opoona
Order Up!
Pandora's Tower
PES 2012
Phantom Brave
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond
Punch-Out!!
Rabbids Go Home: A Comedy Adventure
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Rogue Trooper: The Quartz Zone Massacre
Rune Factory Frontier
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Samurai Warrior 3
Scarface
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
Shiren the Wanderer
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
Sim City: Creator
Sky Crawlers, The: Innocent Aces
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Sonic Colors
Spore Hero
Spray
Tales of Symphonia
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
Tenchu 4
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Trauma Team
Victorious Boxers: Revolution!
Wario Land Shake It!
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
Zangeki no Reginleiv! (J)
Xenoblade Chronicles

WiiWare
Alien Crush Return
Airport Mania
Bit Trip (Series)
Blaster Master Overdrive
Bomberman Blast
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Contra ReBirth
Final Fantasy 4: The After Years
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles My Life as a Darklord
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
Fluidity
La Mulana
Lilt Line
Lost Winds
MaBoShi
Magic Obelisk, The
MotoHeroz
Muscle March
Nyx Quest
Onslaught
Orbient
Sexy Poker
Snowpack Park
Tomena Sanner
World of Goo

Cosmozone

Had the best lineup of last generation (well, there's a bit of catch up going on right now). I hope Wii U's lineup will get at least near the quality and variety of its predecessor's.

Top Bottom