• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii production to end soon

Cess007

Sales must have dived beyond the ground to Nintendo finish production so soon. I thought they would give it a price-drop and sell it in other markets, but it doesn't seems the case.

Anyway; the Wii had his highs for me: Twilight Princess (i actually liked it!), Final Fantasy: CC, Another Code R, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3: Corruption, and Skyward Sword were awesome, but still, i came up disappointed with the console. And i haven't turned on since i beat Zelda: SS

List of 7th-gen consoles that are discontinued:

Nintendo DS:
+ Discontinued in Japan
+ Soon to be discontinued worldwide

Sony PSP:
+ Essentially discontinued outside of Japan

Microsoft Xbox 360:
+ Nearly discontinued in Japan

Nintendo Wii:
+ Soon to be discontinued in Japan
+ Will be discontinued worldwide somewhat soon

Ladies and gentlemen, the 7th generation of consoles is quickly coming to an end.
The only real "healthy" consoles that still persist are the 360 and the PS3. Everything else is flatlining or will soon exit production.

MarkusRJR

End of an era. I really loved the Wii from 2006-2010. So many fantastic games. Sucks how it ended up dying a slow painful death over the course of 2 years due to Nintendo's efforts all moving to the 3DS and Wii U despite the fact they launched 1 1/2 and 2 years later.

Banned
Talk about David vs Goliath. My first launch day console ever and I don't regret it. What a beast of a system, some of the best exclusives ever.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Good riddance, worst console I've ever owned and a terrible follow up to the amazing Gamecube.

Sales must have dived beyond the ground to Nintendo finish production so soon. I thought they would give it a price-drop and sell it in other markets, but it doesn't seems the case.

They shipped like 3million Wii's in the past 4 quarters, and it wasn't doing that better before, sales dropped off a cliff a while ago.
Even though I somewhat enjoyed it, I freaking hated the wiimote integration in so many games, I think it's the worst Nintendo console I own, even though it had some great games.

Anyway; the Wii had his highs for me: Twilight Princess (i actually liked it!), Final Fantasy: CC, Another Code R, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3: Corruption, and Skyward Sword were awesome, but still, i came up disappointed with the console. And i haven't turned on since i beat Zelda: SS

Shipments have been low enough recently that it's just not worth keeping the console in production anymore.

This is purely a business decision...if Nintendo could make money still selling them, they would.

jcm

Nintendo DS:
+ Discontinued in Japan

Sony PSP:

Microsoft Xbox 360:

Nintendo Wii:

Ladies and gentlemen, the 7th generation of consoles is quickly coming to an end.
The only real "healthy" consoles that still persist are the 360 and the PS3. Everything else is flatlining or will soon exit production.

I think mixing the handhelds and consoles together muddies the picture. There were three consoles. Two of the three will be continuing for the foreseeable future. That's hardly the end of an era.

TraBuch

Banned
I can honestly say I've never owned a Wii. Some day I'll play Xenoblade, and maybe The Last Story, but that's pretty much all I'm interested in.

NYCrooner

It took me to own a Wii U to really appreciate the Wii's catalog of great games. I've been playing all the Wii games I missed out on and they have been great. I hope the Wii U can follow suit.

wizzbang

Banned
Got 11 of the things for free. Sold 10 of them when the big hype period was on, kept the 11'th one for about 4 months. Mario Galaxy was kind of cool - but overall, glad to see the back of it too.

So Nintendo is leaving the low cost console market to Sony and MS? Kind of a stupid move. But I guess that's par for the course for them lately.

The Wii won this generation with inferior power, but damn amazing games!

Thank you for an Amazing Mario kart and Mario Galaxy... I still play Mario Kart with my best friend!

I hope the WiiU picks up steam, its in the shadow of its predecessor but I hope it can become a serious console...

Miles X

Nintendo DS:
+ Discontinued in Japan

Sony PSP:

Microsoft Xbox 360:

Nintendo Wii:

What ... PSP does fantastic in Europe ...

Vitten

The console that put me off Nintendo for good after being a life long servant since the NES..

It started out really well with Mario Galaxy, RE4 and Metroid Prime but after that they just completely lost me.

It makes sense that they'd be discontinuing the Wii and DS sooner rather than later. In past generations, a big reason to keep the old consoles in production was for backwards compatibility with games that remained on store shelves. This isn't really an issue with the Wii or DS, where there'd be few games still on shelves that couldn't be run on the new consoles (if any), and where the sales numbers of the consoles were so high that the demand for additional consoles for that very small role would be limited.

The fact that they're trying to push digital distribution is probably also relevant. In the past, you'd expect a lot of those past gen consoles to be pushed to secondary markets like Brazil. Cheaper consoles and games, for markets where the average consumer didn't have as much to spend, and where piracy is often rampant. But digital is changing that, by reducing the costs to distributors to actually get games into those regions, making pushing current gen consoles into these regions much more viable than it has been in the past.

There's also some interesting implications for retail here. Clearly, Nintendo are taking steps to reduce cannibalization between their Wii U and Wii lines. There's of course the issue of confusion between the two consoles. It's not just an issue of the name (which while important, often tends to be overblown). Unlike previous generation gaps, the new generation of consoles with Wii U, XBox1 and PS4 doesn't really have that big of a differentiation to the past generation in back-of-the-box-screenshot terms. It's a lot harder for, say, a parent or grandparent buying a gift for a 4-21 year old to tell the difference than it was with NES/SNES, SNES/N64, or N64/GC. But it's more than that. The fact is that some people, even in full possession of the facts that the Wii U is an updated console, would still buy a Wii if it was on the shelves next to the Wii U today. These are the same kinds of people who would've bought an NES when the SNES was already out. It's cheaper, there's lots of games for it already out, and those games are themselves cheaper than the newer games. It makes a lot of economic sense. By getting the Wii's off store shelves, it's not likely to actually stop those people from making a purchase, it'll simply redirect that purchase to a Wii U instead (since they're looking for, as more than 1 retail customer has put it "one that plays the Marios"). Getting the Wii (and DS) content off shelves also gives them more shelf space to devote to new Wii U and 3DS content, particularly in those stores such as Tesco where they have a set amount of shelf space for their products rather than the store changing the size of the section based on the products they have on hand.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Pretty shocking considering their only home console then ships only 300k units a quarter. They will need to go to batch production on adhoc basis, without Wii they can't sustain a console factory infrastructure, internal or contracted, the way things are going.

VinLAURiA

Banned
2768.OldSnakeSalute.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Truly an underappreciated gem of a machine. It's a shame what it had to suffer through, but that's par for the course for any Nintendo system during its active years; they never really get the respect they deserve until after their run is over.

But you changed the whole industry, little guy. When the odds were a million to one, you showed the world just what an underdog could do. Rest in peace.

(I'll just come out and finally say it: best console ever. Wii U has some big shoes to fill; let's hope it does.)

I find this news to be almost unbelievable. The fact that the current/prior generation market leader is being mothballed and the competition hasn't even released their next round of hardware, and while the successor to that leader is languishing at a pace that will not even allow the system to match the GameCube, together these truths are quite alarming. Nintendo has completely wasted the Wii phenomenon, and shareholders should absolutely be out for blood.

Aiustis

It took me to own a Wii U to really appreciate the Wii's catalog of great games. I've been playing all the Wii games I missed out on and they have been great. I hope the Wii U can follow suit.

Same here. I've bought a lot of Wii games.

Also I've been doing a lot of couch co-op. I miss that.

Turrican3

Wait a minute, Nintendo doesn't sell the Wii Mini in Japan, right?

Could it be that the production will continue for this (awful, but that's a different story) lowcost model only, maybe introducing it to their home market too?

Glad y'all liked the Wii, but for me, it was the worst console purchase by far. I think only ever played Galaxy 1 & 2 on it because nothing else really interested me and/or I hated the waggle. I really hated the waggle =/

Wii-U, on the other hand, I'm having a lot of fun with =)

Defect

Still have my launch Wii. It's funny, I started out loving it like crazy then hating it as I grew older and now I'm playing and liking it again.

AniHawk

one hell of a good run for a great console. probably the last time we'll see mid-tier budget games with such regularity at retail.

Great system; I've been quite happy with mine. And an easy softmod allowing your games to be selected in coverflow style and played from a USB drive... magnificent. I have younger children who use the system as well, and just that one feature I guarantee has saved any number of my game discs from destruction. I still dip into the GameCube collection quite often though, so I'd give a lot if DIOS-MIOS would be more stable!

Gearing up for a WiiU this December, picked up my first WiiU game today actually, Zombie U on Target clearance. Gotta say its the first time I ever bought a game without a console to play it on! ;). After my Wii experience though, I have faith in the big N, and looking forward to the WiiU.

Wii was great, but I'd still say it'd be better with a standard controller. Sometimes it's fun using motion controls, but generally I think standard controllers are better. GameCube>Wii IMHO

Even though it wasn't the most powerful, goddamn, was it fun. I had some fun times perfecting the Mario Galaxy titles. I remember when me and my family screamed at each other while playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Fun games.

GG Nintendo.

GG.

Probably my favorite system of all time. The Nintendo first-party love was incredible and there were so many great, unique, niche titles from third parties. I hope the Wii U can eventually give me as much enjoyment as the Wii did.

Top Bottom