• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii/PS3/Kinect homebrewer rumor: Durango CPU clocked at 1.6ghz.

TheD

The Detective
Being an x86 the Durango is even older than that.

Edit: beaten.

No, it is not.

The base ISA is a fair few years old, but the CPUs they are going to use will have a much more modern version of the ISA and use a modern Microarchitecture.

Well if it's an 8 core, dual-threaded per core processor based on today's best CPU's I wouldn't mind... lol. But it won't be anything like that.

Valnen

But like the Wii U, it will still be on more modern architecture, so it's fine.

Nope. Modern architecture AND a fast clock speed is what we should be getting from next gen consoles.

This is probably Microsoft just massively worrying about hardware failure, they don't want a repeat of the 360's heat issues.

Espresso @ 1.24GHz = Nintendo are some cheap bastards, I swear
Durango @ 1.6GHz = whoa Microsoft made dat dere architecture sikk as fawk!!

Wow, this tells us a whole lot

It really and truly doesn't. I don't have a twitter account, but if anyone else would like to try and ask Marcan to get some more details, I'll be glad to update the OP.

(edit) that wasn't snark, I was fully agreeing with you that the clock rate by itself means nothing.

There's a few factors at play here, with frequency being one of them. Other equally important ones are cache speeds/hit frequency at each level, average instructions retired per cycle (which paired with frequency, usually gives a more accurate picture) and flush/exception/mispredict penalties. You can get away with a shorter pipe sometimes when paired with a somewhat lower frequency (which can lower the impact of the aforementioned penalties). They are all tied to the architecture and until we know what that actually means, the frequency alone doesn't paint very much of a picture.

Fivefold

Banned
Are we seriously making threads based on "some guy from twitter" now?

And why is that even relevant? Clock speed without other arch details such as number of cores, etc... is absolutely useless as a way to gauge power... this just sounds like WiiU damage control.

Neff

Architecture makes a difference

Indeed. Comparing numbers is irrelevant. How the machine is engineered and prioritised is what makes the difference, particularly as technology changes.

The time I've spent with Nintendo Land and Sonic All Stars Racing confirms that the alarmist view of Wii U being a performance-crippled console is demonstrably false.

BTW that locked @ 50hz Wii mode on Wii U thing in the tweet is bullshit before anybody freaks out about it.

netBuff

I love how this very uninspiring thread is basically the Wii U technical/clock speed thread telling the world how fantastic its CPU is by saying "clock speed isn't everything" while at the same time claiming the next Xbox has a similar CPU as the Wii U based on it's (dubiously) rumoured clockspeed.

Orayn

Are we seriously making threads based on "some guy from twitter" now?

And why is that even relevant? Clock speed without other arch details such as number of cores, etc... is absolutely useless as a way to gauge power... this just sounds like WiiU damage control.

Marcan is a renowned hardware hacker who doesn't really have any vested interest in which system is the most powerful.

Top Bottom