• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Just caught this - redesigned Wii coming for Christmas. No pics yet:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29576/new-wii-console-coming-before-christmas/

EDIT:

...and a box shot, courtesy of Eurogamer (and Shiggy & Reckoner):

wiiredesign.jpg

newwiilf7u.jpg

...and by comparison to the OG Wii:

Wii.png

Difficult to tell from the pack shot, but the system looks a touch thicker, so it's possibly a bit shorter. Pretty much the same size, though I think.

It's already pretty damn tiny. I have to imagine it'll be the size of two or three (?) dvd cases like Nintendo originally planned it to be.

sakipon

According to Nintendo, the console is a streamlined white Wii with a slightly altered configuration, which is designed to sit horizontally rather than vertically.

Hard to say without any pics, but I don't like the sound of that.

DECK'ARD said:
How odd.

If might be a side-effect of the Wii U including a smaller/one-chip solution of the Wii's chipset for BC.
I could see that being true.

Hard to imagine the console could get too much smaller.

Thoraxes

The system is already small enough as it is.
I am very interested to see what else they'll do with it.
I think it'd be really cool if they could shrink it down to the size of a (just a size comparison) Mac Mini.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can only imagine this drops features. It's like the SNES redesign which took out s-video and added nothing except a size reduction. We'll see.

Looking forward to what they come up with. The Gamecube was one of the best designed consoles I've ever seen. The heatsink placement was genius and provides the majority of the cooling. There are hardly any fans, the system runs super cool with no wasted space. Really, a marvel of engineering. Never been brave enough to open my Wii though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
BocoDragon said:
I can only imagine this drops features. It's like the SNES redesign which took out s-video and added nothing except a size reduction. We'll see.

Maybe no GC ports? That would be a laugher.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
If Nintendo doesn't cut any important feature (I don't care for the GC ports), the hardware is attractive (small enough, more sturdy, lighter, with the power brick INSIDE the unit) and the price is low enough, I might actually buy one at some point. Not day 1 though, I already have a Wii.

Yeah, the integrated power brick would be the big one. It would make the system even more transportable. Having an HDMI port would be nice too as I plan to buy a computer monitor and want to hook it up to it. Otherwise I'll buy a Wii2HDMI.

shagg_187 said:
Oh boy... It'll be HILARIOUS if WiiU's console is the Wii redesign...

Axvac.jpg

But then again... Tendo won't screw people like that... right?! RIGHT?!

that's more like screwing themselves than everybody else. unless you mean screwing *with* people

but yeah, nintendo will probably do it lol. their marketing team has been replaced by zombies.

edit: unless you mean the wii u *is* the wii redesign.

Takao

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
No point in this post because hey who expects that in Takao posts anyways?

Not cool man. I was making a joke based on the PSP E1000 and irrelevant platforms on GAF. :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
slaughterking said:
They drop the backwards compatibility and Gamecube ports. Not sure what else they could do.
Can they kill the SD port and add a bigger flash memory fridge? Maybe kill USB?

Cuz that would stop homebrew/piracy and be a good thing in their eyes..

Mael

milkyjay20 said:
that's more like screwing themselves than everybody else. unless you mean screwing *with* people

but yeah, nintendo will probably do it lol. their marketing team has been replaced by zombies.

edit: unless you mean the wii u *is* the wii redesign.
I don't know, zombies actually look for brains you know

WTF?! How can you streamline the console any further? It's already pretty much as small as it can get.

Unless they're planning to remove the GCN controller and memory card ports... (Which would net them a gain of a couple of inches at best, seems pointless)

To Far Away Times said:
Looking forward to what they come up with. The Gamecube was one of the best designed consoles I've ever seen. The heatsink placement was genius and provides the majority of the cooling. There are hardly any fans, the system runs super cool with no wasted space. Really, a marvel of engineering. Never been brave enough to open my Wii though.
The GameCube really does look awesome. I'm keeping it around just because I like the look of it so much, not because I still play it or anything (since the Wii also plays GC games). Sitting pretty on my sideboard like a decorative sculpture or something.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Also, I hope it doesn't feature any heavy modification to its OS that would make soft modding difficult.

[EDIT] NO DON'T CUT THE USB AND SD CARD SLOTS :(

Sophia

spons said:
Finally a hardware change to kill off homebrew.

You really think this is going to kill off homebrew? I mean that console's only unsecure at a fundamental level...

I don't really get the point of cutting off Gamecube and BC support. Who does this benefit? A couple pennies for Nintendo?

swerve

Something truly slim, like the PSTwo, would make me re-buy even without BC. Sat next to the PSTwo, my Wii looks boxy and unrefined.

AniHawk

this would have been a great idea in 2010. now it only makes sense if they plan on keeping it around as the cheapo sku well into 2013 like sony did the ps2.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Nuclear Muffin said:
WTF?! How can you streamline the console any further? It's already pretty much as small as it can get.

Unless they're planning to remove the GCN controller and memory card ports... (Which would net them a gain of a couple of inches at best, seems pointless)

Power brick.

miladesn said:

Ha! Knew they'd do it - wonder whether they're going to be using a cheaper new drive too, now that they just have to handle one disc size?

AniHawk said:
this would have been a great idea in 2010. now it only makes sense if they plan on keeping it around as the cheapo sku well into 2013 like sony did the ps2.

I'd imagine that's exactly what they're going to do - why kill off a system that still brings in decent money when you can cut manufacturing costs, reduce it in price and (hopefully) see it boom as an entry-level family systetm? Especially when you're launching a new console and trying to push a handheld you're losing money on?

Pretty surprising I guess, a first for them in the last decade to redesign console hardware. Although it would have been smarter to couple this with the recent price drop they had. Hopefully they'll launch this redesign at $99 and put up a good last fight.

Dystify

I personally don't really care about the updated version, but I am curious to see how it'll look like, plus, if it gets Nintendo some extra sales I'm all up for it.

Top Bottom