• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii rumor: wireless headsets, and speech-to-text?

unifin

NO EXTERNAL LINK, but this guy called the speaker in the controller about 3-4 months before E3.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/124568835/p1

"...voice communication will be via wireless, head-mounted microphones..."

"Some peripherals for the DS will be compatible with Wii and vice-versa."

"Many Nintendo first party games (specifically games designed for a younger audience) will feature a new system currently being developed by Nintendo called ‘voice to text communication’.

The system works using an advanced voice recognition system which Nintendo has been developing for several years. When a user speaks the sound is converted into on screen text and sent to the other players. However, rather than just plain text being sent the system also picks up the tone, pitch and volume of the voice and translates that into colour, font size and character set. For example, if a player shouts ‘I win’ loudly into the microphone the on screen text may be all capitalized, and in a large red font; conversely if a player speaks quietly the font may be a pastel shade and smaller.

This system also allows online voice communication to be easily censored by the user.”

I've seen the patent for this before, but I wasn't sure when it was going to surface...

This guy's been right before, as I mentioned. He called the speaker some time before E3.

JUST A RUMOR, as always, but a credible one.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
unifin said:
NO EXTERNAL LINK, but this guy called the speaker in the controller about 3-4 months before E3.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/124568835/p1

I've seen the patent for this before, but I wasn't sure when it was going to surface...

This guy's been right before, as I mentioned. He called the speaker some time before E3.

JUST A RUMOR, as always, but a credible one.

I don't remember anyone calling the speaker 3-4 months before the announcement.

unifin

sp0rsk said:
I don't remember anyone calling the speaker 3-4 months before the announcement.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/109602884/p1/?61

Date Posted: 2/8 1:48pm Subject: Developer Comments - Date Edited: 5/8 2:18pm (2 edits total) Edited By: namlas

"The controller will contain a small amount of memory, which can be written to by the console (via Bluetooth) during the game. This will usually be used to store small sound files which can be heard via the controller's small internal speaker.

In demonstrations this system could be used, for example, to simulated the sound of gun shots coming from the controller when fired; when you put this together with the force feedback, it creates a game experience which surpasses anything we have been able to create before.

In other experiments we created a simple "Chinese whisper" style communication game which one player could whisper into the controller (we were even able to be in another room when doing this) and then the sound would be sent via the console to another player's controller which they could then hear. Great fun!"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Interesting....Microsoft's recent demonstration of speech-to-text shows it still sucks.

If they could make a speech to text + translation tool, it could make for some great international gaming that doesnt rely on (broken)english

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Humm, well cool if true and if it actually works. That's very Japanese variety show. It'd be funny to be playing a game online and have a giant red "YOU ****ING N*** FA***" pop up on the screen when you start winning a round in whatever game you're playing.

-_-

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I think there will still be rumours after the Wii is release :(

Nicktals

Banned
An IGN user which called the speaker in the Wiimote 3 and half months before E3 EXACTLY. I'd think that'd lend some credibility to him. And seeing as Nintendo has a patent for the speech to text stuff explained, it's hard to deny this rumor.

Patent link 1

Patent link 2

Also, I'm more excited to know that there will be a first part wireless headset with mic...Assuming this is true, which I'm 90% certain is the case. I'm assuming the IGN user got this info from the same source who told him about the speaker and small amount of memory in the controller.

unifin

Tyrone Slothrop said:
voice-to-text technology is still pretty rough; that's why us stenographers are still employed and making big bucks :D

so i dunno about that

BLUE. BBBBLLLLUUUUUEEEEE.

Mmmkay

Nothing really surprising there. Bluetooth headsets are a given, and Nintendo has plenty of research into speech-to-text
BARUUUUE

Aurora

sp0rsk said:
Humm, well cool if true and if it actually works. That's very Japanese variety show. It'd be funny to be playing a game online and have a giant red "YOU ****ING N*** FA***" pop up on the screen when you start winning a round in whatever game you're playing.

-_-
Exactly. Even if this is true, so what? It seems more like a bad idea to me.

Amir0x

Banned
Aurora said:
Exactly. Even if this is true, so what? It seems more like a bad idea to me.

If it's an actual GOOD voice-to-text translator (that's a very difficult thing to do right), I don't see why it'd be a bad thing... I'm sure you'd be able to turn off text if you like...

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
If it's an actual GOOD voice-to-text translator (that's a very difficult thing to do right), I don't see why it'd be a bad thing... I'm sure you'd be able to turn off text if you like...
But it's being implemented last minute, so of course it's a bad thing.

Y2Kev

Amir0x said:

I don't think such a thing exists, really. Microsoft just tried to demonstrate their new tech and it was an unveiling disaster. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Maybe a multiplayer Phoenix Wiight.

PASS

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't think such a thing exists, really. Microsoft just tried to demonstrate their new tech and it was an unveiling disaster.

Yeah, it's very difficult to get right. I welcome someone new trying, anyway... the results should be interesting, anyway :p

ant1532

Banned
AniHawk said:
But it's being implemented last minute, so of course it's a bad thing.
Yea, it's last minute Nintendo has only been working on it for several years. Right, last minute.

the fundamental fault about any voice recognition system is differentiating homonyms ... like "two," "too," and "to"

it works for service lines and medical transcription because its progammed to take it as numbers or whatever's going to be pertinent to the recording. so like i said its unlikely ... unless there somehow would be very minimal speaking involved in this

unifin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I don't think such a thing exists, really. Microsoft just tried to demonstrate their new tech and it was an unveiling disaster. :lol

Wasn't the mic picking up background noise, though? (Haven't seen the video)

ant1532 said:
Yea, it's last minute Nintendo has only been working on it for several years. Right, last minute.

It's a jab at Amir0x's speaker rant.

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:

he's making a joke about how I was angry that devs were getting several things last minute. just anihawk sarcasm

Y2Kev

unifin said:
Wasn't the mic picking up background noise, though? (Haven't seen the video)

Probably. Maybe they have really good tech. It was funny though. :D

I don't want this though. I don't want people to knock on my door (college dorm) wondering why I am screaming into my mic to make the words appear big and red. I dislike voice tech in general....I can't play XBL at night because I wake my parents up. :\

Nicktals

Banned
Amir0x said:
is there some gameplay ideas some dev is gonna think up around speech-to-text?

I could see a brain age game making you repeat a sentence at a certain volume, and with a certain tone. Of course it'd be a shitty gameplay mechanic if it isn't accurate...But compared to no chat whatsoever without friend codes, this is great news...And I mean, it is good for parents worried about their children playing online...And I'd be willing to bet anyone who said this isn't true. I'd give them 10:1 odds as well. The patent is spelled out, and now a very reliable source has said that it is coming to Wii. Although how good it works is pretty damn suspect at this point.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
he's making a joke about how I was angry that devs were getting several things last minute. just anihawk sarcasm
Yea i know, but he still called it last minute...and it isnt... its not... ITS NOT LAST MINUTE!!!! OMG!!!!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
AMIR0X, HATING SOMETHING GOOD?! SURELY I MUST'VE SLIPPED INTO SOME PARALLEL UNIVERSE WHERE UP IS DOWN, LEFT IS RIGHT, AND METROID PRIME IS SOMEHOW FUN.

i only like good things. If I hate something, it's a fact that it sucks. A fact. Written in blood, certified by the government.

ant1532

Banned
scola said:
what is the text for someone playing their stereo really loud?
One,
Two,
Whatcha gonna do,
Two,
Three,
Whatchas gonna be,
Cmon now,
Uh,
cmon now,
Yeah yeah,
Yo,
Provoke emotions when im boastin and braggin,
Just imagine gun clappin linguistic assassin,
Bout ta shake the world up,
Slam it to the floor bust,
Youve heard of us,
Real niggas we blow the world up,
And bump the planet,
Take it for granted when i manage with that hometeam advantage automatic rhyme bandit,
Bout to hand it cus you cram to understand it when i land it open handed,
Imma transatlantic slay,
With that old black magic,
Got to have it from the demo to the masta,
Some brothers try to strike while light the fire of disaster,
Im the chain saw massacre,
Rain raw acid dust,
Downshift pump your brakes ease off the clutch,
We ****in up when we conduct load your pistol up,
Put this verbal dick in your mouth until i bust a nut,
And let this jam tell you who the **** i am,
Original black man from the bollales? who dance,
ect.

Nicktals

Banned
scola said:
what is the text for someone playing their stereo really loud?

Probably less annoying than talking to someone playing their stereo really loud over XBL. Seeing as I assume it'll only show what it can register...If it can't register anything, it wouldn't show anything.

Wink

I doubt the voice to text thing actually works in a reliable way.
But at least it shows Nintendo seriously thinks about how to expand Wi-Fi Connection.

Sounds cool, but then it would just be an accessory for Wi-fi. It would be awesome if packed in with everything: Wiintendogs, co-op with CPU etc

I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt because his bit about the Wii speaker/controller memory built-in was quite detailed and specific, and a full three months prior to E3.

Nintendo also did register Wii Karaoke a while ago, and it could be a feature that's well utilized given the style of gaming/wider audience Nintendo hopes to reach.

Wii + Nunchaku Controller + Microphone Headset + demo disc would be a nice package for $149.99. And also it makes a little more sense for Nintendo to take a slight loss at that pricing ... as Iwata has said is possible.

If they're not selling the system for a profit, then either the price point is really low, or it's coming with a lot of extras.

Even if the voice recoginition isn't the the greatest it would be useful for games like Wii Karaoke, Brain Training Wii, Nintendogs Wii, Animal Crossing, and basically any kind of online multiplayer communication (Star Fox Wii, Pikmin Wii, etc.).

jarosh

no no no. it's impossible. there are waaaaaay too many technical issues. it will not happen and it's not possible and it never will be (unless some day we'll have a computer like HAL).

Top Bottom