• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Club getting a retail release in Japan, in July

L~A

According to Sinobi, Wii Sports Club is getting a retail release in Japan, on July 17.

Baseball and Boxing seem to be included. Price is 3 700 Yens, apparently.

479933ppjp7.jpg

Source

Hey Nintendo, this is cool and all but please, PLEASE don't spend any time talking about this at E3.

Please!

(assuming it hits retail in the west as well, of course)

Watch as NOA make this the only way to get Baseball and Boxing.
Manga entertainment in the UK did that with Noein. Volumes 4 and 5 never came out individually, you had to buy the series boxset instead.

oatmeal

Banned
Hey Nintendo, this is cool and all but please, PLEASE don't spend any time talking about this at E3.

Please!

(assuming it hits retail in the west as well, of course)

I don't think this E3's content will be like a 60 minute one-off thing. I think they are going to be doing multiple showings with one major Direct...but they're doing something different this year.

The worst part of every Nintendo Direct is the minutes countdown.

*Nintendo starts talking about something*
"AHHH! NOOO! ONLY 15 MINUTES LEFT!!!"

Robin64

I was like "Oh yeah, we're still due two updates!"

Then remembered those updates were Baseball and Boxing.

I haven't gone from excited to uncaring in such a quick span of time before.

BooJoh

If it's coming so soon I wouldn't be surprised to see both Baseball and Boxing release during/shortly after E3.

On one hand, I hope this doesn't mean they've ruled out other sports. On the other hand, the package was always lacking compared to Wii Sports Resort.

I just want more Archery.

Robin64

Wii Sports Resort was fantastic. Spent far more time with that game than the original.

Wuhu Island was awesome, too, and should be used in more games than the few it's been in (as the plan was)

BooJoh

Wuhu Island was awesome, too, and should be used in more games than the few it's been in (as the plan was)

Agreed. I was hoping for a Wii Motorsports or something.. Mario Kart 7 came close by giving us two fantastic Wuhu tracks but sadly neither made it into MK8.

L~A

My guess is, Nintendo probably wasn't too satisfied with sales for the DL version, and decided to just screw their original plan release everything at once at retail. Pretty sure we'll get the remaining 2 sports around the same title as DL, along with the retail version.

My guess is, Nintendo probably wasn't too satisfied with sales for the DL version, and decided to just screw their original plan release everything at once at retail. Pretty sure we'll get the remaining 2 sports around the same title as DL, along with the retail version.

Hmm, Iwata said in half-year investor Q&A that 'I do not deny the possibility that “Wii Sports Club” may become packaged software in the future.' So maybe it has always been on the cards?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/131031qa/index.html

L~A

Hmm, Iwata said in half-year investor Q&A that 'I do not deny the possibility that “Wii Sports Club” may become packaged software in the future.' So maybe it has always been on the cards?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/131031qa/index.html

Yeah, I remember that one, but I find it strange they're suddenly announcing it now. They said the remaining sports would be released at a later date, but so far, we only got Golf. Baseball and Boxing have gone MIA, and then suddenly we get that retail release....... but no news about those 2 missing sports.

Pretty sure they realised the game wasnt attracting enough attention on the eShop? And I don't think there's any retail release for July, so they'd be able to fill their line-up a bit (like they did with NES Remix 1+2 last month).

I'd so buy this at retail if NoE brings it over. About a month ago my housemates and I decided to check out Wii Sports Club and it was an obnoxious and confusing ordeal trying to download it.

lo zaffo

Nintendo is too timid about pure digital content delivery. Retailed version of games are not always needed, e.g. NES Remix+ packaged went quite deserted in Japan.

Yeah, I remember that one, but I find it strange they're suddenly announcing it now. They said the remaining sports would be released at a later date, but so far, we only got Golf. Baseball and Boxing have gone MIA, and then suddenly we get that retail release....... but no news about those 2 missing sports.

Pretty sure they realised the game wasnt attracting enough attention on the eShop? And I don't think there's any retail release for July, so they'd be able to fill their line-up a bit (like they did with NES Remix 1+2 last month).

Eh, this hasn't been officially announced, yet, so it's still possible they'll release the digital versions before a retail release. Baseball & boxing weren't likely to cause much of a stir on their own, anyway.

Zalman

This game is basically Wii Sports HD. I wish they would add the sports from Resort too since I never played that.

Oh well, I'll still grab this regardless if it comes out here. I really disliked the pricing model they had going on.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't get why they're limiting this to just the original 5 games. Make this a greatest hits of Wii Sports or something.

AniHawk

first time seeing it. felt like the obvious thing that would happen. unlike the nes remix thing, i expect to see it in the us sometime this year. maybe october like wii party u was last year.

jmizzal

first time seeing it. felt like the obvious thing that would happen. unlike the nes remix thing, i expect to see it in the us sometime this year. maybe october like wii party u was last year.

It would make more sense to release this June or July, since I bet Hyrule Warriors and Bayo 2 will be Aug/Sept and X, Smash bros and what ever is announced at E3 will be Oct, Nov, Dec.

There is really no reason to wait to release it here

Loaded Man

Why are they releasing this only in a region where the Wii U is selling like crap? This should have been released worldwide at the very least. C'mon Nintendo.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Watch as NOA make this the only way to get Baseball and Boxing.
Manga entertainment in the UK did that with Noein. Volumes 4 and 5 never came out individually, you had to buy the series boxset instead.

That's some bullshit.

Why are they releasing this only in a region where the Wii U is selling like crap? This should have been released worldwide at the very least. C'mon Nintendo.

Japan was also the only region where the original Wii Sports was released individually :p

I'm guessing we'll get this on disc sooner or later too, though.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I was waiting for this. I wonder if they'll bring it over though, they didn't bring over nes remix 1+2 (which i recently found out about wtf!)

Kodaman

I didn't notice any difference in either.

Really? Seems like you didn't play it a lot.

According to NWR:
The biggest and most noticeable thing are the controls in this version of the classic sport. You now use a Wii Remote Plus controller, which makes the old school waggle a complete no-go here. You really have to move your arm and wrist correctly to hit the ball in the right direction and this is not a simple task in the beginning. As you learn the correct way to move, you will find that the first few matches might not go exactly well for you. However, when you learn how much impact a certain shot makes, you are pretty much set for life and ready to enjoy Tennis like everybody should.

If you mean graphically it's just an HD upgrade.

Drago

If it comes out west and it's $20 or less (ha ha) then I can see myself picking it up.

Still hoping that the NES Remix disc comes stateside. I've held off getting the games off the eShop in the hope that the retail release comes out here. Not looking very likely, though. :(

If it comes out west and it's $20 or less (ha ha) then I can see myself picking it up.

Still hoping that the NES Remix disc comes stateside. I've held off getting the games off the eShop in the hope that the retail release comes out here. Not looking very likely, though. :(

$20 will be the MSRP price of the other two games when they come to the eShop, so yeah...

BM8

Neo Member
Looking forward to baseball.

Id imagine, with motion+, that you'll have to actually aim to hit the ball. As being the pitcher, you'd have to really think where to throw the ball. With the gamepad, you can do this locally, with two players, since your opponent cant see where you'll throw. This could potentially be a great baseball game.

wbEMX

I'd grab it if it gets an EU release and a decent price. I like the idea of Wii Sports HD with online gameplay, but I'm not willing to pay up to 40 € for a digital game. That retail release for 30 - 35 € and I'm in.

Elija2

It's odd that they aren't adding any of the sports from Wii Sports Resort as those ones actually took advantage of Wii Motion Plus. I doubt Tennis or Bowling get much improvement from more accurate controls. So basically the only substantial new feature is online play. Besides that (and HD graphics and more accurate controls), it's the exact same as the Wii launch title that everyone has already played? Why didn't Nintendo just make a whole new sports game?

L~A

Better to just cancel the thing altogether then, 'coz the Wii U is selling like crap everywhere in the world, not just Japan. And why does a JP release confirmed first means other territories won't get it? I never understood that logic.

I don't get why they're limiting this to just the original 5 games. Make this a greatest hits of Wii Sports or something.

Because porting all the other sports would required more developers, and they probably don't want to focus too many ressources on that? I'd rather have the Namco-Bandai Games guys working on Smash Bros. than more ports from Wii Sports Resort, to be honest.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've loved Wii Sport, and I've downloaded Tennis and Golf for Wii U. I'm interested in Baseball, too.
but I really hope they'll not overshadow actual interesting contents for the Wii U during E3.

Top Bottom