• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii storage solution coming?

Dolphin

Banned
There were plenty of announcements missing from the Nintendo 2008 E3 press conference this summer, but perhaps most surprising was the fact that the company did not address the ever-growing storage problem plaguing the Wii.

Since WiiWare hit the console earlier this year, the factory-installed 512MB of internal storage just isn't cutting it. Nintendo is essentially shooting itself in the foot: here we have all these new games to download and play, but only the capacity to store a limited number of them.

Kotaku is now reporting that the company does indeed have a storage solution on the way, but it won't come in the form a physical hard drive. Nintendo executive Reggie Fils-Aime tells Club Nintendo magazine that we'll see something even better than a hard drive for the Wii.

What's better than a hard drive? Some sort of online solution? While we'd love to see this, we all know Nintendo isn't much of an innovator when it comes to online functionality. Either way, we'll let you know when the company officially announces something. For now, what kind of storage solution do you think we'll see--or would like to see?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10035392-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

Crossing my fingers.

HUELEN10

Dolphin, I saw this. This is not really different than another other BS statement they made. It is never going to come....

Also, in before:

GEEKS AND OTAKUS
GEEKS AND OTAKUS
GEEKS AND OTAKUS
GEEKS AND OTAKUS
GEEKS AND OTAKUS
GEEKS AND OTAKUS
GEEKS AND OTAKUS

Nintendo executive Reggie Fils-Aime tells Club Nintendo magazine that we'll see something even better than a hard drive for the Wii.

Read that as....

"Guess what...... It's a solid state MEMORY CARD!!!"
:lol

I wouldn't be surprised.

Honestly it doesn't even seem worth talking/speculating about till they've announced something. At this point it's pretty hard to predict Nintendo's movements

Malfunky

Subscription based server-side storage is the only answer. Why be burdened and confused by gigabytes of storage when you can pay someone else to handle it for you? It's user friendly!

How would online storage be any different than re-downloading? I guess you could store backup saves (which is a good idea), but that makes almost no difference to the issue at hand.

"even better than a hard drive" could mean anything coming from Nintendo. They could be about to allow Gamecube memory cards to work with Wii data and still say that's "better". I'm going to go with the dumbest idea possible and say they're working on a USB SD card reader.

What could be better than a hard drive to people who need the storage? That's like saying, "Oh, I know you guys are hungry, but we've got something better than a buffet" to a room full of starving children.

No6

They'll turn the downloading screen into an actual game where you gain Nintendo Points. Except it'll be 10,000 coins:1 point.

devilhawk

Sharp said:
Even better than a hard drive? Must be a freezer to go along with our refrigerator.
:lol
What if I don't want something better than a hard drive? Can I just get a hard drive?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cerebral Storage System.
Use your own brain cells to store your gaming data.
Believe.

The better than a hard drive that's getting people riled up wasn't in the last version of this story I read. Of course, coming from a Spanish mag there are translation issues.

“We are working on a storage solution and it is especially important in America because our consumers are using Wii Points for the Virtual Console and WiiWare.

“I want the people to have the right expectations; we have never said that it will be a hard drive nor have we mentioned how we will fix this issue, but we are going to deliver a better way to store the games.”
If anything, it makes it sound more like an SD card solution.

Sharp

Jocchan said:
Cerebral Storage System.
Use your own brain cells to store your gaming data.
Believe.
Discriminating against people with Alzheimer's is not what the new Nintendo is about. You should know better, Jocchan.

jrricky

Banned
Leondexter said:
How would online storage be any different than re-downloading? I guess you could store backup saves (which is a good idea), but that makes almost no difference to the issue at hand.

"even better than a hard drive" could mean anything coming from Nintendo. They could be about to allow Gamecube memory cards to work with Wii data and still say that's "better". I'm going to go with the dumbest idea possible and say they're working on a USB SD card reader.
:lol I couldn't tell if you were serious on that or not.

Grecco

_leech_ said:
What could be better than a hard drive to people who need the storage? That's like saying, "Oh, I know you guys are hungry, but we've got something better than a buffet" to a room full of starving children.

SD Card. Like GH WT is doing for its DLC.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sharp said:
Discriminating against people with Alzheimer's is not what the new Nintendo is about. You should know better, Jocchan.
Well, they wouldn't remember anything about being discriminated
;P

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
If they are going to unlock for SD Card use, I would imagine that you will have to be connected to the internet to see if you bought the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You shouldn't have linked CNET, since their entire writeup is just quoting Kotaku.

CNET shouldn't have quoted Kotaku, since THEIR entire writeup is just quoting Go Nintendo.

Kotaku probably shouldn't have covered the story, since Go Nintendo's entire writeup is a translation--who knows if it's the correct one or not--from a Latin American magazine.

... and that's assuming that the Latin American magazine didn't fuck up the initial interview transcription or just invent this whole cloth.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The better than a hard drive that's getting people riled up wasn't in the last version of this story I read. Of course, coming from a Spanish mag there are translation issues.

Of course, you're linking Videogaming247, who attributes the story to Nintendoeverything, who links to Go Nintendo, who did the translation from the magazine.

So now we have two separate stories, both coming from the same source redirected a half-dozen times... greaaaat.

Foil

Sharp said:
Or wait, maybe they mean "better" for them, not us.

If that's the case watch it end up being a connection cable that allows you to link two Wii consoles together, thereby doubling your storage capacity.

seriously, SD Card channels = optimal solution.. no clunky external hdd...
AlternativeUlster said:
If they are going to unlock for SD Card use, I would imagine that you will have to be connected to the internet to see if you bought the game.
yeah, because that will stop the pirates... oh wait...

Haunted said:
What could possibly be better than a HDD?

:boggles:
5360qe.jpg

Teknoman

Haunted said:
What could possibly be better than a HDD?

:boggles:

A NINTENDO brand HDD!

Seriously though, its probably got something to do with the USB plugs in the back.

Then again, it could be something incredible....

TunaLover

Stumpokapow said:
You shouldn't have linked CNET, since their entire writeup is just quoting Kotaku.

CNET shouldn't have quoted Kotaku, since THEIR entire writeup is just quoting Go Nintendo.

Kotaku probably shouldn't have covered the story, since Go Nintendo's entire writeup is a translation--who knows if it's the correct one or not--from a Latin American magazine.

... and that's assuming that the Latin American magazinedidn't fuck up the initial interview transcription or just invent this whole cloth.

the magazine sucks, but you are disscredit it just because its latin american, is not like the english language is so omg complex to make obvious transcription mistakes.

Nintendo just can't stop itself from hinting at promises it can never fulfill. C'mon Nintendo, we're ready for whatever inconvenient half assed overpriced storage solution you throw at us.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Foil said:
If that's the case watch it end up being a connection cable that allows you to link two Wii consoles together, thereby doubling your storage capacity.
aaaaaand...

DOUBLING THE GRAFIX CAPACITY! TWO MORE GAMECUBES!

Soule

Nooooo please just go for the HDD, I don't want better, better scares me, well... better from nintendo scares me so please, PLEASE just give the HDD.

Azure J

Yaceka said:
2w4n0af.png

GAF, am I doing it right?

Holy shit at that otaku. :lol

But yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up with how long they've danced around the issue.

Reverse-psychology works, try it!

Top Bottom