• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: Amazon distributor claims Nov 11 release, $249 price tag. 3 Bundles

nickcv

Reliability. Nintendo likes to make hardware that lasts for 10+ years, HDDs usually don't...

flash memory.

not a huge amount, but still they could provide you with more.
Nintendo also likes his memory to be as fast as possible, so thats another thing suggesting that they'd be more likely to include flash memory over an hdd.

Dipswitch

I'm in this holiday season if that's the price. $300 is my cutoff however. Not sure if I care about Nintendoland either.

grumpy

My guess is that the USD 249.99 SKU is an "upgrade pack" for existing wii users. Just the console and the uPad.
No SD card (required for use, must have your own), no wiimote, no cables (not even the power brick), no sensor bar, not even the batteries for the uPad. And no bundled Nintendoland.

250€ really is a great entry price for a new console. Well done BigN, if true they'll suck up the Christmas money from all around the world.

onQ123

Nice I was preparing for the worst $400 without a game so now it's day one for sure & I can get a few games.

Detox

$250 - Wii U + Gamepad + Nintendoland
$300 - Wii U + Gamepad + Nintendoland + Wiimote + HDMI Cable
$350 - Wii U + Gamepad + Nintendoland + Wiimote + HDMI Cable + Blu-Ray playback

GimMick

What is the incentive to get the second bundle? NL will most likely cost $50. Why not just get the $250 SKU and get whatever game you want (maybe + $10 for certain games)?
Definitely true. I could see them throwing some wiimotes (or pro controllers in there) in addition, or extra HDD/flash storage, but this is one more detail that makes me strongly doubt about the veracity of the information.

nickcv

$250 - Wii U + Gamepad + Nintendoland
$300 - Wii U + Gamepad + Nintendoland + Wiimote + HDMI Cable
$350 - Wii U + Gamepad + Nintendoland + Wiimote + HDMI Cable + Blu-Ray playback

mmm i don't know... they stressed the hell out of it being capable of displaying HD images, i think they will include in every sku a HDMI cable.

1 SKU, Nintendo don't want to confuse their primary market any more than they already have.

I've been calling a $250 price point for a while, but I hope that translates to £180-200 in the UK and not £230 like the 3DS and Vita did. If it's £200 or less I'm day 1 Nintendo. Anything more and I start to hesitate and will be content to stick with the current consoles until next year.

I will take the 600 dollar bundle that is provided by Gamespot. Since that will be the only one available... :/

I doubt this. You have to assume Wii U is going to sell out. I dont see that kind of hype.

It didn't happen or even come close to happening with 3DS or Vita as recent examples.

1 SKU, Nintendo don't want to confuse their primary market any more than they already have.

Meh, multi-SKU's are a way to jack up your ASP (average selling price). One SKU at 249 means thats all Nintendo ever gets. 3 SKU's means maybe the average selling price is $300. They definitely seem here to stay.

Pociask

I was really expecting 299, or even something funky like 329. If Nintendo can get together a new "Wii would like to Play campaign," I can see the Wii U doing very, very well at 249.

2MF

With such a nice price I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii U selling out. Parasitizing scalpers incoming? Hope Nintendo can get a nice production volume...

Nosgoroth

I don't know, I think they would bundle a Wiimote with NintendoLand because of the asymmetrical gameplay.

EDIT: Ah, you removed NintendoLand too. Well, in that case I don't see them forcing the Pro Controller on casual players that would want the NintendoLand bundle at a lower price point.

Bumhead

Banned
A direct conversion (adding tax) gives £188, so £200 or a bit more looks feasible.

Even taking conversion, tax and retailer bullshit into account, I think anything upto £219.99 would be a fantastic entry price point here. I would be day one for the Wii U at that price.

Jackano

320GB HDD, sorry but you are reaching guys. Maybe the 249 SKU will have 2 or 4GB flash memory and the 299/349 SKUs 8GB, and that's all. Nintendo made it clear that storage capacity is made by extra USB device.

cloudyy

$250 Upgrade: WiiU+Gamepad, no cables
$300 Standard: WiiU+Gamepad+Wiimote
$350 Complete: WiiU+Gamepad+Wiimote+Nunchuck+Nintendoland

IF Nintendo has 3 SKUS, and IF one is $349, I do not think that the difference between the SKUs will be as related to Wiimotes and pro controllers as some are proclaiming here. That said, I'm at a loss as to what value proposition Nintendo has found to split its SKUs. They aren't the type of company to split hard drive size that way...

Nintendo is going for the competition's throat (instead of revenue) with this price, aiming to get a big install base while the Wii U is the only next-gen console. Aggressiveness is a new stance for Nintendo, I like it.

A direct conversion (adding tax) gives £188, so £200 or a bit more looks feasible.

Oh you'd think so. The 3DS says otherwise!

I doubt this. You have to assume Wii U is going to sell out. I dont see that kind of hype.

It didn't happen or even come close to happening with 3DS or Vita as recent examples.
3DS and Vita were both overpriced, not launched in Q4 and not launching with a new 2D Mario game.

Taker666

Nintendo is going for the competition's throat (instead of revenue) with this price, aiming to get a big install base while the Wii U is the only next-gen console. Aggressiveness is a new stance for Nintendo, I like it.

The US price means nothing in the UK..if it's $249..it'll be 249 Euros (which converts to £198)

...and considering most UK retailers are still charging £179 for 3DS XL (when it should only be £159)..

..then you can expect most UK retailers to price hike to £229 at launch.

$249 being the lowest point/

Ridiculous you can get a brand new nxt gen console for that and a Kinect bundle is still more expensive (and apparantly have no plans to cut this holiday)

$249 - no pack in, Wii mote, 1 Screen
$299 - Nintendoland, 1 Screen
$349 - Nintendoland, 2 Screens
Might buy this bundle if it hits $200 or below. Too many SKUs though. They'd be better off offering the cheapest and highest priced of the the three. Less confusion that way.

Etzer

Nice. If true, of course. I expected $299 to be the lowest. At $249, I can see people on the fence about it just say "eh, why not".

Launch window looks good enough for me (Sonic Racing, Zombi U, Rayman Legends, NSMBU), plus I'm sure there are some more games to be announced at the NY conference. That being said...

Day 1.

If this is real

249$: Console + Wiipad
299$: Console+Wiipad+Nintendoland+Wiimote/nunchuck
349$: Console+Wiipad+Nintendoland+NSMBU/ZombiU/another Wiipad Wiimote+nunchuck
I think this is more likely. Or some more flash memory. I really doubt the pro controller is something they would include in a bundle.

I like the idea of a premium BRD/DVD playing Wii U, even if it won't happen. We were suppossed to get a DVD capable premium Wii back in 2007 originally too.

WillyFive

I don't see the Pro controller bundled at all.

It would have made more sense bundling the Classic Controller with the Wii, since the Wiimote was very different; but the Wii U tablet is already a Pro controller.

miksar

On a serious note, I think the $250 SKU will be missing something crucial for most GAF (like the old X360 Arcade with no hard drive) but it will be a great entry point for casual users. The $349 SKU is probably for core gamers with Pro Controller, Zombi U and something else bundled.

do we know for a fact that these are even official Nintendo bundles? it'd be a bit weird to me to see them put out multiple versions day one. i know MS and Sony have both done it, but has Nintendo ever done that before?

bud23

Good news if true.
November 11 is Sunday, November 19, 2006 was Sunday too(Wii´s launch in North america).The date sounds coherent.Just 9 days to know it.

249 below ps360
299 on par with ps360
349 slightly above ps360
deal with it

? Where do you live, just checked the PS360 prices on amazon.de

PS3: 213€
360: 204€

Edit: My bad, don't know why but I just imagined a € sign in front of your prices. But even then, PS3 is 250$ on amazon.com and the cheapest 360 is 200$

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Price is exactly in the range I thought it would be, my guess is,

$249 - Wii U + U Pad
$299 - Wii U + U Pad + Nintendoland + Virtual Console credit
$349 - Wii U + U Pad + Nintendoland + Bigger Virtual Console Credit + Pro Controler

I have my doubts about the Wii U, but you can't go wrong for $250. Bundels have me intrigued though since I was expecting to pay about that amount anyway.

I can confirm this is legit, by the way. We have a VPD account for our shop and there's been Wii U listings of this sort there for a while, but I don't remember there being three at these prices for sure.

My initial take on these:

$250: WiiU + GamePad ("Wii Upgrade Pack," no AV cord, Sensor bar, AC adapter, nor Wii controllers; besides, there's a sensor bar on the GamePad and it works with HDMI)
$300: WiiU + GamePad + Wiimote + Nunchuk + Cables (For those who don't have a Wii)
$350: WiiU + GamePad + NintendoLand + Wiimote + Nunchuk

WillyFive

My initial take on these:

$250: WiiU + GamePad ("Wii Upgrade Pack," no AV cord, Sensor bar, nor Wii controllers; besides, there's a sensor bar on the GamePad and it works with HDMI)

I've never thought about that. Could make sense considering how Nintendo approached the 3S XL outside the US.

Top Bottom