• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U connection problems. The definitive guide to how become a network administrator

nickcv

this is a problem so many people are having, so i thought that a whole thread dedicated to it and with listed all the available solutions might be a good idea.

Why doesn't the Wii U connects to the internet. READ THIS!

after spending several hours fighting against the monster i found out that this problem depends from the preinstalled version of the OS.

Once you manage to update your Wii U OS to version 2.0 you will be able to just select your wi-fi network from the list of networks that your Wii U finds automatically, without having to resort to some weird network configuration.

Therefor what you need is to find a way to actually update your Wii U, it doesn't have to be a permanent solution, a workaround is completely fine, because after the update you'll just connect the Wii U to your wi-fi without any problem.

Solution 1: Tinkering with your network configuration, router settings and learning why system and network administrators tend to hate the human kind.

there are actually two solutions most gaffers will suggest you. they are both pretty similar.

zamkato's solution

1. Navigate to the Wi-Fi portion of the System Settings menu.

2. Tap on or select the option to “Connect to the Internet”.

3. Press X on the GamePad to view your connections and delete every saved connection by tapping on it and opting to “Delete Settings”.

4. Once all connection settings are cleared, return to the “Connect to Internet” screen, select your WiFi network, go through the regular setup process and wait.

5. Once the setup fails – don’t worry, if you’re encountering connection errors, it most definitely will – power down both the Wii U console and GamePad.

6. Reboot the Wii U and return to the Connections portion of the WiFi settings (repeat steps one through three).

7. Tap on your saved Wi-Fi network, followed by “Change Settings”.

8. Enter your network’s SSID (the name assigned to your router).

9. Select the proper security type and input the router’s official password.

10. Change the “IP Address” option from “Auto-obtain” to “Don’t Auto-obtain”.

11. If you’re on Windows, launch cmd and type “ipconfig”. If you’re on OS X, navigate to the Network portion of the System Preferences app, highlight your Wi-Fi network, click “Advanced…”, followed by the “TCP/IP” tab (the “Router” number is used for the “Gateway” field).

12. Input your router’s IP address and add “10″ to the last digit (e.g. if the IP is “192.160.0.1″, enter “192.168.0.110″).
Note: In certain cases, exclude the “10″ – we recommend that you try both.

13. Enter both the Subnet Mask and Gateway (obtained in the eleventh step).

14. Tap “Confirm” and select the option to “Configure” once a DNS settings prompt appears.

15. Change the “DNS” option from “Auto-obtain” to “Don’t Auto-obtain”.

16. Type “4.2.2.2″ for the “Primary DNS” field and “4.2.2.1″ for the “Secondary DNS” field.

17. Tap “Confirm”, ensure that the “Proxy Settings” are set to “Don’t Use” and leave the MTU Value set to the default option (1500).

18. Press B to exit and save and press “Connection Test”.

examiner's solution

1. Go into connection types, Hit "Manual Configuration"

2. Input your SSID

3. Input the correct security type, this is key.

4. Put your password in properly

5. For ip address "Do not auto obtain".

6. open up cmd in your computer, type in ipconfig

7. Now input that ip address but add 10 to the last number so "192.168.0.1" will be entered as "192.168.0.11"

8. Enter the rest of your info inside such as subnet mask and default gateway exactly as you see it in your ipconfig.

9. Now hit next, hit configure now for your DNS. When asked about DNS hit "Dont auto obtain".

10. For the first server put in 8.8.8.8

11. For the second server put in 8.8.4.4

12. Hit Next, when asked about a proxy hit no proxy

13. Leave mtu as the default

14. it should work, if not check the ip and that it is the internet ip + 10. Good luck

Solution 2: send to hell your wi-fi security
turning off your wi-fi security settings should allow your Wii U to connect to the internet without any trouble.

This is not a solution i actually recommend, and even if you use it you should remember to restore your wi-fi security settings once your OS is updated

Solution 3: workaround, workaround!
this was the solution i've actually used.
You can either: connect your Wii U using an ethernet adapter to download your system update, or be more creative.

I'm not a sysadmin nor a network administrator, so unfortunately i cannot tell you how to configure Windows or Linux to actually act as a bridge.

Here's the OSX solution (and i'm sorry if i didn't translate every single menu name correctly, but my OSX language is italian):

1. connect your macbook/macbook pro/iMac to the internet using an ethernet cable.

2. open your system configuration panel, and select "share", and right after that "share internet connection"
CxSRm.png

3. you have to share your connection from ethernet to airport.

4. in airport options make sure not to use any password.
CnZ1E.png

5. connect your Wii U to the newly created wi-fi hotspot.

6. keep in mind that the hotspot created by your mac doesn't have a huge radius, therefore your mac needs to be pretty close (at least in the same room) where your Wii U is located.

if you guys have anything to add to the OP let me know, i'll try to keep it updated with any relevant news

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My only comment which I think every time I see those solutions quoted, is that 'just add 10 to your computers IP address' is amazingly simplistic. I have a bunch of devices connected to my wifi, and they don't all get nice consecutive numbers assigned to them.

If you don't want people to go to their router strings page and check what IP addresses are being used, I'd at least set it to a larger number to reduce the likelihood of a clash - something like 59

nickcv

My only comment which I think every time I see those solutions quoted, is that 'just add 10 to your computers IP address' is amazingly simplistic. I have a bunch of devices connected to my wifi, and they don't all get nice consecutive numbers assigned to them.

If you don't want people to go to their router strings page and check what IP addresses are being used, I'd at least set it to a larger number to reduce the likelihood of a clash - something like 59

i agree with you, fortunately most routers assign with their DHCP IP numbers just higher then 100, so if you don't have any device in your home with a static IP you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
and if you actually are using static IPs for some other device i trust you remember which IP each device has XD

If you're using something like unblock-us to watch US netflix or whatnot, you can use a different DNS as well. Works fine on my WiiU here in the UK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i agree with you, fortunately most routers assign with their DHCS IP numbers just higher then 100, so if you don't have any device in your home with a static IP you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
and if you actually are using static IPs for some other device i trust you remember which IP each device has XD

Ah, didn't realise that. I restricted my DHCP IP pool to 1-60, and then put my static IPs higher than that. If I'd known DHCP normally uses high numbers I wouldn't have bothered.

Stewox

Banned
I know this is a workaround alternative to get it working but this is ridicolous to be a required step normally.

If WiiU doesn't work with wifi without requiring to mess with any PCs, then it's all WiiU's fault.

I know I won't have any problems, I run DD-WRT on my router so it should be all fine, disabling wireless security and SPI Firewall isn't a big deal ... oh wait, i will use Wii Ethernet USB adapter anyways :D I don't use wireless much.

nickcv

I know this is a workaround alternative to get it working but this is ridicolous to be a required step normally.

If WiiU doesn't work with wifi without requiring to mess with any PCs, then it's all WiiU's fault.

i totally agree with you... fortunately the next batch of console that will come with OS 2.0 pre-installed won't have this kind of problems...

as usually early adopters are beta testers

Stewox

Banned
i totally agree with you... fortunately the next batch of console that will come with OS 2.0 pre-installed won't have this kind of problems...

as usually early adopters are beta testers

Well, they had to use updating because while the hardware was manufacturing the OS was still being developed - I don't really blame them at all, it's a good use of the time, and a few people having to wait for download only once in WiiU lifetime doesn't really count as a negative of overall success.

I think people make up a big deal a lot of the times when the deal is fairly small, some peolpe aren't used to huge downloads so when they see 5 GIGABAYT DOWNLOAD , OH MY GOD and tell all their friends about it, it's just a "teenager information shock" thing so I think it's pretty worthless to have it drag through the tech discussions.

I know when I was 14 years old(2004) and we finally got broadband internet ( and actual usable win PC for the first time), i was suggested by a friend to try eMule, it was normally 2-4kb/s, when it reached 16kb/s I was all out of mind ... but through the years I gained experience because of my interest in tech so I learned really fast and those information shocks never happend again or much less intensity in second time, I was actually playing a lot PC stuff at friends house but never learned much detailed stuff before my own stuff, only had nintendo consoles at home, it turned into a peaceful coexistance of 2 totally different platforms, when I use either one, the mindset turns into that particular mode, I totally avoid any possibility of platform wars in my mind. But I wasn't that enough stupid to call all my friends and post online to announce that my DL speed jumped from 4 to 16kb/s ... :p

The saddest part is when most 20+ adults also suffer from information shock with such subjects, that's the issue companies have, hurdles of people talking about the things that don't matter, or the stuff that matters only for a very short period of time is too non of an issue and will not have any effect on console's status.

nickcv

i'm ok with the system needing an update on day one.

i'm not ok with the pre-installed os not being able to connect to almost any wi-fi network

JimboJones

If you're using something like unblock-us to watch US netflix or whatnot, you can use a different DNS as well. Works fine on my WiiU here in the UK.

I like that you can have multiple profiles for the same connection on the Wii/WiiU, means I can easily switch back and forth between UK and US netflix.

I've finally managed to make the console connect to the internet, but it doesn't work too well for me. Often I get immediate errors when I try to enter an online service and when I get into my friendlist, it often literally switches between offline and online in a 10 second rhythm when I try to manage things in there. When I make it into Miiverse, I often have to click the buttons about 5 times before I get where I want to go instead of receiving instant errors.
My Wifi signal is weak where I play, but while there might have been some disconnects a couple of times and minor lags, everything usually works on my Wii/3DS. Funnily, the Wii U browser also works perfectly fine 90% of the time. Really annoying how everything else is pretty much a gamble. Elsewhere, I might just get longer loading times or slight delays, but this console just instantly throws me out of the programm with errors - ugh

Use this in dire situations

Nintendo_Wii_Lan_Adapter.jpg

How does this work, just take the cable that connects my modem/router with the PC and plug it into this box instead? Also, it looks short as fuck, does it have any problems with USB extentions?

Rolf NB

Just curious, seeing as how some USB network adapters are already getting posted, has anyone tried smartphone network tethering over USB to get the WiiU online? Android/iOS/whathaveyou?

MAtgS

Well now what? It's connected to the router, I can still be online with other devices (given that I'm able to post this) essentially there's nothing with my setup & yet...

frey

Well now what? It's connected to the router, I can still be online with other devices (given that I'm able to post this) essentially there's nothing with my setup & yet...

Exactly the same problem here. At the start of the day I wasn't able to even connect to the router so I guess this is a start in the right direction.

RoyalFool

Banned
The DNS servers are probably wrong, find your device that can connect to the internet and find what it's using. On windows go to cmd and run ipconfig, if your on linux or mac then ifconfig should do something similar.

Stewox

Banned
How does this work, just take the cable that connects my modem/router with the PC and plug it into this box instead? Also, it looks short as fuck, does it have any problems with USB extentions?

Very simple

• USB connects to Wii U
  • Ethernet port connects to the LAN cable coming from Router/Modem

Once again, there should be no other devices involved. Router and Modem are part of network setup so they are not regarded as "other devices".

dwu8991

Banned
Someone should lock this thread for being unnecessary

all the problems are already solved in the wii u release thread

nickcv

Someone should lock this thread for being unnecessary

all the problems are already solved in the wii u release thread

the problem about the release thread is that this question has been asked over and over, a full thread dedicated to the issue can be more useful

Pikma

Banned
I hadn't had any problem with connecting my Wii U til today, now I can't even stay connected without any kind of error codes, I've seen tons of them, and none of them has any sense, can't play BLOPS Online, can't load Miiverse properly, my browser has problems loading the most basic things and connections timing out are pretty much common, way to go Nintendo.

Tried to mess around with the DNS and IP, it actually got worse so I had to move back.

After 2 hours of network trouble it then tells me of an update. First few times I was getting network errors after 5 mins of downloading nothing. Then I try it again, it manages to download. After 20mins the blue progress bar has barely moved. This is crazy. Probably be downloading it all night and tomorrow. I don't know what else to do.

Going to buy a USB Ethernet adapter tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it I will probably have to pay Nintendo a visit with my golf club ;).

Pikma

Banned
Tried the IP thing again, tried both DNS servers, tried restarting my router, I've tried everything known as of yet, can't believe I wasn't able to load Miiverse properly not even once. WTF is wrong with Wii U's connection, even 3DS is more stable than this.

nickcv

After 1hr of downloading.
ezehy2ut.jpg

It's nearly 6:30pm (tues), is there a better time to download it?

wow, that really sucks...
it took me 50 minutes to download and install the patch.

in which country are you?

Tried the IP thing again, tried both DNS servers, tried restarting my router, I've tried everything known as of yet, can't believe I wasn't able to load Miiverse properly not even once. WTF is wrong with Wii U's connection, even 3DS is more stable than this.

they need an OS update ASAP.
2.0 is not stable enough either...

wow, that really sucks...
it took me 50 minutes to download and install the patch.

in which country

Melbourne Australia. My Internet connection is fine I know that because I always get a constant 1.5 to 2.0MB/sec on my 20Mbit connection.It's just Nintendo's side of things.

When I try an Ethernet connection tomorrow and it's still the same, I will just ring Nintendo up and see what they recommend.

Since getting the patch I thought I'd try reconnecting back to my router using search & enter password. It still doesn't work, so not sure where this information came from. Same old disconnection issue.

Also, when originally connecting even turning off security didn't work, it's properly fucking shit. Managed to sort it through one of the methods.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I asked this elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure I understood this, as I never had any problems getting an internet connection going...

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is? Is this ONLY a problem if you have security enabled on your network?

I ask as I've never had a problem with my wifi network and the Wii U, but I also don't have security turned on. (Which isn't a problem, as the signal doesn't really get beyond the cinder block walls of the house.)

I asked this elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure I understood this, as I never had any problems getting an internet connection going...

Does anyone have any idea what the issue is? Is this ONLY a problem if you have security enabled on your network?

I ask as I've never had a problem with my wifi network and the Wii U, but I also don't have security turned on. (Which isn't a problem, as the signal doesn't really get beyond the cinder block walls of the house.)

No idea what the issue is (a fairly severe bug I would imagine), but I couldn't even connect to my router with security OFF. Got it to work by following one sites instructions (the one on Kotaku didn't work for me). I tried again last night to connect normally and it wouldn't connect to the router. Fussiest wifi I've ever come across.

Pikma

Banned
Whatever the reason is, it's a system issue, not even my 3DS has these kind of problem, and the OS is incredibly unstable which is why we've been getting all those different issues too.

As I mentioned early, my issues started one random day, out of nowhere, tried everything and I'm still stuck, I had to move the console downstairs, a feet away from the router*, the errors continue but at least I can play BLOPS online again.

*It was 2 meters away before, so that clearly wasn't the issue as all my other devices do fine and don't have any problem at all, maybe the GamePad signal interferes with my wireless, or maybe the system has a BIG issue that needs to be addressed, or maybe both.

nickcv

No idea what the issue is (a fairly severe bug I would imagine), but I couldn't even connect to my router with security OFF. Got it to work by following one sites instructions (the one on Kotaku didn't work for me). I tried again last night to connect normally and it wouldn't connect to the router. Fussiest wifi I've ever come across.

after several test i think that if the system is able to connect to a wi-fi router with no security settings and is not able to connect to it (without tinkering) with them on while you are on version on 1.0, you'll be able to connect to it with security settings on once you move to version 2.0

but if the system cannot connect to it with your security settings on you will have to resort to other solutions

I just created a static IP and used the routers DNS addresses. Went straight in and the speeds are alright. No issues since and the browser speed is great.

Before that, it would find the routers SSID but couldn't connect to it, so I just put it down to the console not liking the security.

Manmedaz

Very simple

• USB connects to Wii U
  • Ethernet port connects to the LAN cable coming from Router/Modem

Once again, there should be no other devices involved. Router and Modem are part of network setup so they are not regarded as "other devices".

I just received the official Wii RJ45 to USB thing, but as simple as it should be to install, I can't get my Wii U to connect to the web with it. Basically, its plugged in a hub, which is connected by PLC to my box, on the other side of my apartment. Did I apparently do something wrong? What should I check first to solve my problem? Thanks :).

How's this.

I bought an Ethernet adapter for my Wii u but it wouldn't work, even on my computer.

I then went back to wifi again, I had deleted my connection before so I tried it again.

Before when I was using the wifi I had to enter the custom settings from this thread, but this time it connected up without them!

The reason why I bought the Ethernet adapter was because of the very slow speeds I got from Nintendo's servers.

But as I mentioned this time it connected up without the custom settings, so I went straight to the eShop to test the Internet speed, and guess what, it was flying!

I don't know how this happened, maybe because I deleted my wifi settings or because of the new update from yesterday.

Big relief. It had to take me over 6hrs to download the first update, but not anymore!

I would suggest using 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) for ANY manual DNS entries rather than 4.2.2.x for a variety of reasons, not the least of which Level 3 not liking people using them.

Also, condense your steps a bit more, there are a lot of them that could be combined into one because they are related to each other. This would help with readability and not making it look like some huge daunting task to someone not familiar with networking at all.

I would also suggest checking the wifi channel before anything. I had no issues connecting my WiiU when I got it, but I know that the Wii had issues with some channels with some router brands and would certainly save time and effort of manually setting IP addresses in a pool that may have some already assigned.

Luigison

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but I'm still having problems. My Wii U will connect and test the connection, but will not download the update.

Should I simply move my Wii U to my computer room near the wireless router for the initial update, and later move it back to the TV room, or is there a WiFi extender/repeater that'll help?

Are there any power-line adapters the give a Wii U compatible WiFi signal on the end? Or, do I need a wired connection that far away?

Also, where can I purchase a USB network adapter if I end up having to run a network cable far away? (It seems I'll need nearly a 75 foot cable to run through the basement, around, and through walls/floors to get it to the TV room.)

Luigison

Moving the Wii U to within a foot of the wireless router worked.

Is the WiFi range on the Wii U less/weaker than the Wii? I asked because my Wii had no problem downloading the Wii transfer tool, but the Wii U wouldn't do it in the same room.

Jackano

Is the WiFi range on the Wii U less/weaker than the Wii? I asked because my Wii had no problem downloading the Wii transfer tool, but the Wii U wouldn't do it in the same room.

It could be a range of problems. Maybe cheaper wi-fi composants. Maybe more interferences, or instability, due to the gamepad wireless tech. Probably a little of both.

Dantis

Hey guys, so my Wii U is being awkward. Downloaded 40% of the update, and since then stopped connecting to the Internet. I tried using the methods up top, but it connects to the router but not the Internet.

Pretty unimpressed so far. Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind, seems moving closer worked.

MAtgS

I have to revise my earlier post, neither method works anymore & even a LAN adapter can't get it online.

OmegaFax

I guess if it hasn't been mentioned, depending on the router, set a DHCP range and set a static IP address on your Wii U outside that range so another device on the network isn't assigned it by accident or there's a conflict with another device on your network.

or

I know Apple routers allow DHCP reservations, others probably do too. It'll make sure the Wii U is assigned a certain IP based on its MAC address within the DHCP range.

Set the Wii U up in the DMZ if your router supports it. Just make sure that your Wii U is set up with a static address and no other machines on your network are assigned the DMZ IP by accident. It will expose your Wii U to the Internet entirely but it will weed out nessessary ports for Wii U's Internet service being blocked as well as some settings on your router you may have overlooked or can't find.

The Wii U seemingly uses the 153 channel of the 5GHz 802.11n spectrum for the Wii U pad for me. I would double check to make sure you're not using that channel on your router.

Punisher

Neo Member
I had a lot of problems connecting my Wii U with my router, sometimes it would work, sometimes it would not. All my other devices worked without any problems at all. The Wii U was always able to see the router.

Found out yesterday what the problem was: the router's wireless channel.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/internet_connect_online.jsp?menu=how_to&submenu=wup-online-ht-connect-network

After setting the channel manually to 1 and 5 (11n) all my problems were solved!

The reason that it had worked before was because the router would automatically pick a channel on startup, so sometimes it took channel 1 or 11 and it would work...That is what I think at least...

Still weird though that every single device just worked instead of the Wii U. Using a Buffalo WHR-G301N router by the way.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I have no connection problems, but I need some help port forwarding for Black Ops II. Tried going to portforward, but they don't have my router listed(Netgear WNR2000v3). I'd just like my NAT to go from strict to open, any help?

Top Bottom