• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U FAQ, translated from Japanese

TriGen

Believe it or not, we had a customer come in today trying to switch their Wii U pre-order for CODBLOPS2 to the non-existent Wii version because they did not know that Wii U games did not work on the Wii.

What timing!

Ha! You have to cover all the bases.

Tenki

Before you use the transfer app.

Just copy the SMG save file to an SD card, and then use the SD card to transfer the save file to your other Wii.

Some games don't allow you to copy and transfer saves, but *I think* you can copy the SMG file without any problems.

Ok, I'll try. Thanks!

Terrell

Believe it or not, we had a customer come in today trying to switch their Wii U pre-order for CODBLOPS2 to the non-existent Wii version because they did not know that Wii U games did not work on the Wii.

What timing!

Wait, I thought Wii owners didn't buy hardcore games....?
I'm so confused now, should go lay down.

deviljho

This is how I understood it. Sounds pretty good to me, though it depends on how many devs end up using it.

You'd want useful or meaningful "accomplishments" and not "finish first mission on any difficulty" "finish second mission on any difficulty"

Meesh

Not the HDD, the games installed on that HDD.

What annoys me a bit is to not yet have a confirmation about the hability to DL again your game on another Wii U using your account.
True, i'm getting two Wiius at launch and dont want to have to pay extra to dl on my second Wiiu like I did with Wii. :mad:

Diablos

Does the Wii U support HD (High Definition)?

Yes, HD is supported. Wii software is only in SD (Standard Definition).
This pisses me off to no end. It's the same fucking hardware. There's no reason why it can't upscale Wii games to 720p.

I was going to buy a Wii U so I can finally play games like Xenoblade and TLS in HD (as well as some other Wii games that've been released over the years) -- but I guess Nintendo doesn't want my money.

Epic smh.

noobasuar

Banned
All I want is to be able to play VC titles on gamepad. Never bought anything off of the Wii store so I hope that they have a VC section in the Wii U shop.

Terrell

This pisses me off to no end. It's the same fucking hardware. There's no reason why it can't upscale Wii games to 720p.

I was going to buy a Wii U so I can finally play games like Xenoblade and TLS in HD (as well as some other Wii games that've been released over the years) -- but I guess Nintendo doesn't want my money.

Epic smh.

Wait, that's the ONLY reason you'd buy it? Dude, Dolphin is free.

True, i'm getting two Wiius at launch and dont want to have to pay extra to dl on my second Wiiu like I did with Wii. :mad:

WHAT?! Why 2 of them?

AzaK

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American people (I'm an expert), but being dumb and not looking things up are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where everyone is smart. If a American buys a WiiU game and it does not work on their Wiis, it brings shame to all Americans, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase games for either the Wii or WiiU systems, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire Country with this move.

Iwata, publicly apologize and cancel WiiU or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nicely done sir.

deviljho

...it's different hardware.

When the hardware is the same there's no reason why they can't upscale.

Oh... so just because Nintendo decided to use similar hardware, they have to figure out and implement a method to improve the visuals of games developed for an older platform to please you? And you would know for a fact that this is simple for them. The backwards compatibility itself isn't enough? Should I be upset that if I buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 or Vita right now, I can't play the previous gen games? How do you know if there is or isn't a "reason why they can't?"

You aren't even satisfied with the Wii game being released as is, to be displayed as intended? Why buy it then? It's a Wii game. Made for the Wii. Released for the Wii. Get over it. It's a Wii game.

Play it on dolphin.

JimboJones

Oh... so just because Nintendo decided to use similar hardware, they have to figure out and implement a method to improve the visuals of games developed for an older platform? And you would know for a fact that this is simple for them. Should I be upset that if I buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 or Vita right now, I can't play the previous gen games? How do you know if there is or isn't a "reason why they can't?"

You aren't even satisfied with the Wii game being released as is, to be displayed as intended? Why buy it then?

To be fair is a little dissapointing there is no basic upscaling/filter options (not referring to uprezzing, thats not gonna happen with 99% backwards compatibility).

Can't wait for this thing to launch, I'm betting we are gonna get more important questions answered by gaffers following launch day than Nintendo have in the past year.

Eusis

You'd want useful or meaningful "accomplishments" and not "finish first mission on any difficulty" "finish second mission on any difficulty"
That's fine for regular achievements (it's "you started the game!" that I resent to the point that when I see them I want achievements/trophies to outright disappear), but I definitely can see how those would get annoying on Miiverse.
...it's different hardware.

When the hardware is the same there's no reason why they can't upscale.
There's little reason not to upscale even if the hardware's different... so long as the system has a good scaler built in.

What you meant, I think, is upping the resolution, and there's plenty good reason to not bother supporting that. We're not talking PC games that are designed in advance with some degree of scalability in mind, these are console games design to perform at a specific level at a specific resolution. It's possible that the Wii U can't keep up with, say, putting Xenoblade at 720/1080p, or weird issues crop up. Then there might be issues with the HUD, or minor visual glitches that are really annoying, or whatever. The safest thing is to run EXACTLY like on the Wii, and only use a hardware scaler to create a decent looking HD signal, much like 360 or PS3.

deviljho

To be fair is a little dissapointing there is no basic upscaling/filter options (not referring to uprezzing, thats not gonna happen with 99% backwards compatibility).

I'm all for a discussion on what the Wii U technically can and can't do when it displays a Wii game. I'm all for a discussion on why Nintendo would or wouldn't implement such features.

But some people just act like Nintendo did some evil by not adding these features. As if all other game consoles ever provide this level of backwards compatibility support. Nintendo is letting you play the game as intended - the BC should display as if you insert the disc into a Wii. That's all Nintendo has ever claimed and that is what they deliver.

Can't wait for this thing to launch, I'm betting we are gonna get more important questions answered by gaffers following launch day than Nintendo have in the past year.

Yeah. I was expecting a firestorm of press releases and information this final week or two from NOA, but have been very disappointed. I guess in a year's time, it won't matter much. Still excited for launch.

Erethian

someone in the homebrew types will find ways around this. It could be as easy as moving some files around or editing some numbers but Nintendo is locking this thing down the best they can.

If it's anything like the 3DS all game data (saves, digital downloads) are encrypted, and that's why the data on the external storage can't be read by another Wii U.

Erethian

interested in this but hard to find where u updated

I was hoping for a solid max character number they seem to not know last time but my guess is 14 a guess from Hatena ID

No, you will be able to choose your own alphanumeric, unchangeable handle. The character limit is not currently known. In a statement to Eurogamer, Nintendo of Europe said: "Friend Codes will indeed not be used on Wii U. Players can use alphanumeric characters to create their Nintendo Network ID, this is not an automatically generated number." See this post for an outline of the profile interface, and note that the ID field reads "willwill".

Specifically the link to the Eurogamer article.

That WiiWare & VC stuff in the Wii Shop channel is so predictable of Nintendo.
Considering how much importance they place on backwards compatibility you'd think they'd have had the foresight (back with Wii) to program it in a future proof manner.
I wonder if they're ever going to realise how much time and money it costs them to work around their shitty legacy systems instead of getting it right in the first place!

Erethian

That WiiWare & VC stuff in the Wii Shop channel is so predictable of Nintendo.
Considering how much importance they place on backwards compatibility you'd think they'd have had the foresight (back with Wii) to program it in a future proof manner.
I wonder if they're ever going to realise how much time and money it costs them to work around their shitty legacy systems instead of getting it right in the first place!

Nintendo Network has been their answer to that.

AndTAR

Wow, tremendous work there - thanks OP.

I wonder if they could be asked if there is actual, real-time text chat in MiiVerse, besides the post/comment system? Seems that Nintendo has not yet verified this.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Cheesemeister, we may need your help again. ONM is saying that for you to play a digital title, it must be stored on the internal memory of the console itself. So basically, the external harddrives can only store games but you can't actually play them from it. To play them, you have to move them to the actual console itself.

I'm assuming this is a very poor translation on ONM's part, because even on the 3DS you can play games that are stored on external memory.

Edit: They are saying they found this information on Nintendo's Wii U Japan page.

AzaK

Do we know for absolute certain if downloaded games are tied to the console rather than an account?

It looks like it's both. They are tied to the system, but owned by your account. So once you download it to an HDD, you can't plug that into another machine and play them. However, you should be able to redownload them using your account (Possibly to another machine )but that's the part that's still a little hazy I think.

Cheesemeister, we may need your help again. ONM is saying that for you to play a digital title, it must be stored on the internal memory of the console itself. So basically, the external harddrives can only store games but you can't actually play them from it. To play them, you have to move them to the actual console itself.

I'm assuming this is a very poor translation on ONM's part, because even on the 3DS you can play games that are stored on external memory.

Edit: They are saying they found this information on Nintendo's Wii U Japan page.

EVERYONE WAIT FOR CONFIRMATION PLEASE :)
Because this will cause a NeoGAF meltdown if true.

Skiesofwonder

EVERYONE WAIT FOR CONFIRMATION PLEASE :)
Because this will cause a NeoGAF meltdown if true.

Exactly why I posted it here. Even Nintendo isn't that stupid. This was a problem on Wii, but they fixed it with the 3DS. Besides, basic sku buyers would basically be screwed when it comes to digital content.

MicH

It would make no sense, seeing as Basic owners wouldn't be able to download and play Tekken (with its 17gb size, and most likely many other games) on the eShop. So I sincerely doubt this is true.

Erethian

It's a mistranslation by ONM. Because A) Cheese has already translated the questions relating to download data in the OP, and B) It's ONM

Skiesofwonder

So.... I did some digging, and it's not on the website according to multiple people now. Did ONM just pull this out of their ass?

NateDrake

Is this site correct or are they just so wrong its laughable?

They source the FAQ. Author also says he could have messed it up. So....yea.

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2012/11/...t-copy-games-back-to-systems-internal-memory/

Here’s a strange move from Nintendo that sounds more like them. Nintendo is now saying more details on how Wii U storage expansions will work. You may not like what they’ve got planned.

On the Wii U you can use external hard drives via USB. Great idea, of course. But what Nintendo is just now revealing is that games stored on the USB hard drive must be moved back into the Wii U’s system memory in order to be played. That’s right, those USB hard drives are for storage only and can’t launch games from them alone.

Skiesofwonder

It's only a matter of time before that becomes a thread. It's an epic meltdown waiting to happen.

Popcorn anyone?

Edit: Nate it looks like an inaccurate translation on ONM's part.

Eusis

Only with Nintendo! Though I guess it's for speed reasons, but that alone cements that I'm not buying anything digitally that I can physically unless I get the deluxe.

EDIT: Or unless it's wrong,t hen it's a complete non-issue.

NateDrake

Only with Nintendo! Though I guess it's for speed reasons, but that alone cements that I'm not buying anything digitally that I can physically unless I get the deluxe.

I think we should wait for a better translation because the article even admits he may have messed it up.

koolaroo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...expected, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wait so this means I can't play brawl with a gamecube controler on the Wii U?

Man these questions reveal so many fails about the Wii U. Come on it can't even play dvds?! Well it probaly can my Wii can sure it has to be hacked to do so but it can. Also no achivments that makes me kind of sad I don't understand why you wouldn't put this in here. Also the lack of universal voice chat is rather anoying. Overall this system software wise is more limited than the current gen xbox and that is just stupid once microsoft releases the next gen xbox the nintendo will be really far behind I would imagine.

Top Bottom