• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U GamePad High Capacity Battery - charge test -

TunaLover

So, finally my high capacity GamePad battery arrived from Play-Asia, you can check it out here

wiiugamepadbatterypack2550mah-311423.2.jpg

According Nintendo Online Store
Nintendo Online Store said:
Battery Capacity: 2550mAh / 9.2 Wh (offers up to 8 hours of use, compared to 3–5 hours with standard Wii U GamePad Battery) Battery Voltage: 3.6V

My settings were:
-Brightness = 3
-Rumble = off
-Volume = max

Played mainly Hyrule Warriors which have quick image refresh, here are the results:
B-TyTxSCUAIQFD7.jpg

Aproximated 7:40, since I took the screenshot when Gamepad still had a little charge left, and went to Wii menu (which is not considered in the stats).

Big improvement from my old battery, about 4 hours the same settings.

SerTapTap

Seems about right, mine seems to last me double. Not a huge deal, but it's changed from "highly likely I'll get in the red in an extended play session" to "probably never going to see a red light but still leave it in the dock". Considering how much I play games I'm willing to part with a few bucks for that convenience/peace of mind.

Still wish I could instantly turn off the screen but NOT the Wii U by tapping the power button or something.

TunaLover

Seems about right, mine seems to last me double. Not a huge deal, but it's changed from "highly likely I'll get in the red in an extended play session" to "probably never going to see a red light but still leave it in the dock". Considering how much I play games I'm willing to part with a few bucks for that convenience/peace of mind.
Well my playing sessions are never that long, I just left the Gamepad all the time on even when I wasn't using it just for test purpouse. But yeah, with the old battery you feel like always checking the charge.

Still wish I could instantly turn off the screen but NOT the Wii U by tapping the power button or something.
Could be though holding a combo button, or a setting to keep the Gamepad off by default, hopefully Nintendo notice this.

Rich!

Wait, is this new news? These have been around for a long time now.

I bought one of these from Amazon UK last May. Its superb.

SerTapTap

Well my playing sessions are never that long, I just left the Gamepad all the time on even when I wasn't using it just for test purpouse. But yeah, with the old battery you feel like always checking the charge.

Could be though holding a combo button, or a setting to keep the Gamepad off by default, hopefully Nintendo notice this.

I multitask a lot, so with the old battery it was fairly common I'd get in say 2 hours of gameplay over 4 hours time, and so if I didn't toss the gamepad back in it's cradle I'd end up with that red light of doom and be unable to play/forced to use a pro controller if possible.

Septimius

Yeah, what happened to the Nyko one? Been considering getting this, since I'm pretty sure my battery's not properly keeping a charge. Whenever I play it with friends, I have to keep it plugged in. It sucks, but the 50$ it'd cost to get a new one, here, is also very steep.

Got mine a week ago (although I ordered from Nintendo's online store for probably much cheaper than Play Asia). The battery life was the one glaring fault I had with the GamePad and now it's become a non-issue. Considering all the GamePad heavy games being released this year, I knew I would need to get this battery sooner than later. Glad I did, especially when I know Mario Maker will be consuming a lot of my gaming time and I'd hate to have to charge the pad and interrupt the creative process.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No, it's pretty old news, just wanted to share my tests.
Your results are consistent with my experience, which is ~2x the time compared to the factory battery.

I don't understand why this extended battery was introduced so late in the life of the wiiU. It should have been available at launch. It would have made the experience so much better for many early adopters.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
At first I thought the OP was talking about a high capacity Pro Controller battery.

I expected the results to be "now the battery lasts 17 years without a charge".

blu

How easy is it to put together? This could be good for when the Gamepad's seeing a lot of action, like on Hyrule Warriors or maybe Splatoon.
Very easy, as long as you have a proper philips #0 driver. With the supplied one - not so easy.

TunaLover

Very easy, as long as you have a proper philips #0 driver. With the supplied one - not so easy.
Maybe the american one has a bigger driver, the japanese yellow one is tiny, but makes the job done =P, didn't have problems with it (have small hands).

blu

Maybe the american one has a bigger driver, the japanese yellow one is tiny, but makes the job done =P, didn't have problems with it (have small hands).
EU one is tiny as well, and that's the problem - cannot apply proper pressure on the screw head => screws get stripped.

I almost ruined one of the screws on my gamepad before I remembered I had a proper #0 in the house.

TI82

Banned
Not quite double. While nice its still unacceptable, should have at least included this with the system. My ps4 controllers seem to last around 9 hours per charge.

bigkurz

Banned

I think if you turn on the Wii u manually or with the pro controller, you can turn off the gamepad as its booting up and just play with the controller. I'm 100% sure this works but I may have the steps wrong.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Not quite double. While nice its still unacceptable, should have at least included this with the system. My ps4 controllers seem to last around 9 hours per charge.

7.5 and 9 hours per charge sounds so ridiculous compared to last generation's controllers.

Mithos

What is unacceptable is a controller without a screen that only last ~9hours.How long do the screenless Wii U controllers battery last again? NOW that is acceptable.

TI82

Banned
7.5 and 9 hours per charge sounds so ridiculous compared to last generation's controllers.

Yeah I 100% agree, or even ridiculous compared to the 50 hours of the Wii u pro controller. Not sure how they got that battery so good and the upad battery so bad.

blu

Yeah I 100% agree, or even ridiculous compared to the 50 hours of the Wii u pro controller. Not sure how they got that battery so good and the upad battery so bad.
Different featuresets? Now, how sony managed to get the battery span of the dualshock4 down to 9 hours from dualshock3's 30 hours is beyond comprehension.

TI82

Banned
Because it has a screen.

And they knew that, so put a bigger battery in... Four hours is completely unacceptable. When my Note 3 is considerably smaller and is doing much more complex things with a higher quality screen and lasts about 10 to 12 hours a per charge you know something is wrong.

And they knew that, so put a bigger battery in... Four hours is completely unacceptable. When my Note 3 is considerably smaller and is doing much more complex things with a higher quality screen and lasts about 10 to 12 hours a per charge you know something is wrong.

The WiiU Gamepad is constantly streaming over Wireless.

TI82

Banned
The WiiU Gamepad is constantly streaming over Wireless.

You can do that phones too and it tends to last longer... And I'd say the TPD of a powerful CPU/GPU/screen/radio/etc more thqn eclipses streaming 480p video and stereo sound over local wireless.

Hell if that's the argument look at the nvidia shield. It's the same thing as a Wii u gamepad (but technically superior), where at launch it would last around 10 hours streaming PC games and even better with updates over the past year.

Shizuka

You can do that phones too and it tends to last longer... And I'd say the TPD of a powerful CPU/GPU/screen/radio/etc more thqn eclipses streaming 480p video and stereo sound over local wireless.

Hell if that's the argument look at the nvidia shield. It's the same thing as a Wii u gamepad (but technically superior), where at launch it would last around 10 hours streaming PC games and even better with updates over the past year.

Except you're not buying a single product, you're buying the console, the controller and the works.

Good argument, I didn't know how long the Shield lasted with PC streaming, that's a better comparison.

Mesoian

Your note 3's cost is also subsidized by your carrier, least you're paying almost twice the cost of the WiiU at market retail.

TI82

Banned
Well, point stands, your phone bought outright still costs twice as much as WiiU.

Nvidia Sheild is a better example though.

My phone outright cost $300...

And yes, the shield is proof enough that the Wii U could be so much better. Especially since its really doing little to nothing other than stream screening.

Top Bottom