• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

maxcriden

Yeh, then again it probably was the first Mario Party in a long time that I played by myself. I do actually have friends over playing games more often these days, but we've been too busy playing Brawl, Mario 3D World & Nintendo Land to try Mario Party 9 with people haha. Maybe I'll get around to it eventually.

Nice! Nintendo Land is extremely underrated.

I'm wondering if Nintendo will do an unload this month like last year.
While saving really just Zelda for E3.

I'm really hoping so. And then we could get a huge 3DS direct like last year, too. Was that February or April? I can't recall, but there was a big one for 3DS last year too.

Hiltz

As most of us recall, Satoru Iwata did mention there were unannounced games they held back on revealing during E3 2013. So far, they've since revealed Hyrule Warriors and some filler software with NES Remix and Dr. Luigi.

Here's his statement from late June 2013:

There are more unannounced Wii U titles coming by 2014. There was more info than could be released at E3. Wanted to ease owners’ fears. Don’t want to leave a long gap between announcement/release of new game types that would lessen the impact or allow competitors to copy.

It just makes you wonder if anyone of that new software will be something substantial when we already know of around 7 or 8 titles currently confirmed for release this year.

maxcriden

As most of us recall, Satoru Iwata did mention there were unannounced games they held back on revealing during E3 2013. So far, they've since revealed Hyrule Warriors and some filler software with NES Remix and Dr. Luigi.

Here's his statement from late June 2013:

It just makes you wonder if anyone of that new software will be something substantial when we already know of around 8 titles currently confirmed for release this year.

At the time, I always thought he was referring to then-unannounced Wii U titles which would hit in 2013, like Wii Sports Club and NES Remix.

Hiltz

At the time, I always thought he was referring to then-unannounced Wii U titles which would hit in 2013, like Wii Sports Club and NES Remix.

I think he made another statement on a different occasion about that 2013 software. However, he could have still been referring to that software too given the estimated time frame of their release.

Riki

I've said it before, but I would count on more stuff like Zelda Musou and Bayo 2. Nintendo publishing stuff from medium->small devs.

Effect

So I picked up Need for Speed today. Actually used from Best Buy. I knew they had a few copies but hadn't been able to get to the store until today and even then I had to be really quick. Luckily I saw that it was priced down to $15 on BestBuy.com so I was able to price match it. Now I sort of feel like I should have gotten this a long time ago. It certainly seems like it was worth the full or near the full price. Oh well. This is one game I'm going have to put in the time to learn when it comes to driving. Maybe I should just focus on one car and stop changing all the time.

Was going to rebuy Black Ops 2 but couldn't pull the trigger. Same with Ghosts. There were reasons I got rid of them. If I get them again I feel I might be fine for a week or a few days/hours only to remember why I parted with them in the first place. I would get Splinter Cell but no clue if people still play that and the population is going to be even lower then Call of Duty. If the Wii U continues to get games like this, somehow, I hope they include more content that can be played solo over and over again while staying enjoyable.

For those tat have played it, does Splinter Cell offer experiences like that? The missions, co-op mission being done solo, etc? If only that game had bots for the spies vs mercs. Or does it?

Riki

Need For Speed, for me anyway, is such a fun game to just drive around in and get in trouble. The actual missions seem to actually hurt the overall feel of the game.

ozfunghi

So I picked up Need for Speed today. Actually used from Best Buy. I knew they had a few copies but hadn't been able to get to the store until today and even then I had to be really quick. Luckily I saw that it was priced down to $15 on BestBuy.com so I was able to price match it. Now I sort of feel like I should have gotten this a long time ago. It certainly seems like it was worth the full or near the full price. Oh well. This is one game I'm going have to put in the time to learn when it comes to driving. Maybe I should just focus on one car and stop changing all the time.

Was going to rebuy Black Ops 2 but couldn't pull the trigger. Same with Ghosts. There were reasons I got rid of them. If I get them again I feel I might be fine for a week or a few days/hours only to remember why I parted with them in the first place. I would get Splinter Cell but no clue if people still play that and the population is going to be even lower then Call of Duty. If the Wii U continues to get games like this, somehow, I hope they include more content that can be played solo over and over again while staying enjoyable.

For those tat have played it, does Splinter Cell offer experiences like that? The missions, co-op mission being done solo, etc? If only that game had bots for the spies vs mercs. Or does it?

I bought NFS day 1, full price. Biggest mistake i made regarding WiiU. No local MP and no manual shifting killed this for me. The two best things about other Criterion arcaderacers, stripped out. I've put in about 20 hours since then, feeling more like a chore than having fun, because the game otherwise lacks soul, and i just wanted to get "something" out of it having paid full price. I tried to sell it the day after i bought it, with 33% off the full price, but apparently i wasn't the only one that didn't want the game, so i ended up keeping it. Also because there weren't many new games coming out on WiiU. Haven't touched this in months. I can understand no local MP (due to system resources) but i don't understand no manual shifting. I can't imagine it having been that much extra work.

Some Nobody

The longer I own this thing the more I realize that I think I just bought it to play Smash and (mostly) X. Also SMT x FE, but I don't know anything about that yet. I just want a story trailer for X.... >_<

Hey why should the NPD thread have all the fun? Here are the LTD updates for Wii U (and bonus 3DS games 'cause hey):

Wii U:

Sonic Lost World ~ 82k
The Wonderful 101 ~ 49k
Pikmin 3 ~ 210k
Game & Wario ~ 36k
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ~ 93k
LEGO City Undercover ~ 242k

Rayman Legends
WiiU ~ 88k
360 ~ 42k
PS3 ~ 30k
PSV ~ 20k

Resident Evil Revelations
360 ~ 55k
PS3 ~ 53k
WiiU ~ 13k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=97405439#post97405439

3DS:

Fire Emblem Awakening ~ 370k
Etrian Odyssey 4 ~ 36k
Brain Age Concentration Training ~ 26k
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon ~ 1M+
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ~ 224k
LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins ~ 365k
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers ~ 36k
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D ~ 386k
Animal Crossing New Leaf ~ 910k
Project X Zone ~ 87k
Shin Megami Tensei IV ~ 96k
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team ~ 472k
Rune Factory 4 ~ 47k
Sonic Lost World ~ 97k
Mario Party: Island Tour ~ 252k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97408415&postcount=2176

Made names clearer and just moved Rayman Legends Vita numbers to the rest. Thanks Creamsugar. :)

Now you don't have to dig through the thread. :)

Edit: And of course Wii U's Dec number courtesy of Aquamarine:

All right all right, I'll share. :p

480K < Wii U < 482K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=97410062#post97410062

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wii U:

LEGO City Undercover ~ 242k

Rayman Legends
WiiU ~ 88k
360 ~ 42k
PS3 ~ 30k
PSV ~ 20k

I wonder if Ubisoft still thinks it was a good idea to postpone Rayman Legends on Wii U. With the hype it had and the drought coming it could have reached at list LCU levels. And they could have ported later on PS360 in the same way they are doing it now with PS4 and Xbone. I also wonder if the PS360 sales even cover the additional 6 months of development.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I wonder if Ubisoft still thinks it was a good idea to postpone Rayman Legends on Wii U. With the hype it had and the drought coming it could have reached at list LCU levels. And they could have ported later on PS360 in the same way they are doing it now with PS4 and Xbone. I also wonder if the PS360 sales even cover the additional 6 months of development.

It clearly wasn't a good decision. That's probably why they are hoping people pick up for PS4 and XB1. In all honesty, I highly doubt they will. In this "rerelease" of Legends, the timing is much better (the PS4 and XB1 don't have much until March), but I think it's the wrong platforms. We'll see.

From those sales numbers I see why Lego games have continued to be announced on Nintendo's platforms. They actually seem to have established a decent-sized fanbase on Wii U and 3DS (like 200K each). I also expect Monster Hunter 4 to be localized and brought to the West considering how well MH3U on 3DS did. Even the Wii U version didn't do terribly. It's about half the (low) Japanese MH3U sales lol.

DrWong

Thanks for the NPD numbers! Yes, Ubi did the wrong choice with Rayman.

On another topic :

About the guy who works at gameblog among other things and talked about a 3rd party exclusive game, lately he posted a pic with Miyamoto and said it was on that day he learned about the secret game, which I find weird because apparently it was from two years ago and it kinda contradict the way he wrote that he was told about it last december.
Though development time wise it makes sense but the two contradicting statements seem fishy.

Interesting. Link?

So daakusedo provide me with the link and yes, the guy discovered this third party Wii U exclusive 2 years ago, which is not contradictory with his recent tweet (he was in Japan and could have heard about it again). Also, he says the game is "not a system seller".

69wpm

Oh boy, can't wait for the Bone4 bomba. If it sold that badly on PS360, it will sell horribly on the other platforms.

They should've released the game in March, port it to the other consoles and release a free update with the extra stuff for Wii U later. But no, they had to send it to die.

Disheartening to see the low sales numbers of Resident Evil Revelations for the Wii U. I love that game! I'm addicted to Raid Mode right now. I guess that's the end of Resident Evil on the Wii U. :/

I also got the Wii U Need For Speed game. Beautiful graphics, fun gameplay, but I am just terrible at controlling the cars at high speed. I can't win any races!

I'm surprised at the amount of racing games I want for the Wii U. I am intrigued by Project Cars (for now, I need to know if it's actually good and fun to play) and 90s Arcade Racer. Of course I can't wait to play Mario Kart 8!

D-e-f-

Banned
Disheartening to see the low sales numbers of Resident Evil Revelations for the Wii U. I love that game! I'm addicted to Raid Mode right now. I guess that's the end of Resident Evil on the Wii U. :/
RE:R on Wii U has low sales but look at the PS360 numbers and it's not that much less considering the have such gigantic install bases. It bombed way harder on there. Look at the context, not the numbers.

69wpm

I also got the Wii U Need For Speed game. Beautiful graphics, fun gameplay, but I am just terrible at controlling the cars at high speed. I can't win any races!

I'm surprised at the amount of racing games I want for the Wii U. I am intrigued by Project Cars (for now, I need to know if it's actually good and fun to play) and 90s Arcade Racer. Of course I can't wait to play Mario Kart 8!

I absolutely hated NFS:MW. And that comes from someone that played every NFS to date. It's mostly an uncontrollable mess with constant crashes. I played it probably 5 times and sold it. The port is great though, the game itself is horrible in my opinion. I only bought it because I needed a good racer...

gamingeek

You can play virtually all the co-op missions solo and it never feels like you're missing anything in the experience

You need to play more and upgrade your cars handling. Most cars control badly until you upgrade them, that's the whole point, you can upgrade the handling or each car like 4 or more times with better Tyres, suspension, chassis etc.

Turn off traffic if you're struggling and remember to brake whilst accelerating at the same time to enter a drift around a corner. You can also coast and brake around corners. The best handling car is the Mercedes, try to stick to the Al or SL, can't remember the name. It takes about two hours to get the controls of the game down, but once it clicks, it works really well.

Neifirst

!

I thought so too at first, but I'm willing to bet that nearly 100% of Wii U owners are also 3DS owners, and that a large % of those people who were interested in Revelations had already played it on the handheld.

69wpm

I was just watching the X reveal trailer again and noticed it was published on January 23rd. Thursday next week would be exactly one year later, Nintendo Direct confirmed!

D-e-f-

Banned
I was just watching the X reveal trailer again and noticed it was published on January 23rd. Thursday next week would be exactly one year later, Nintendo Direct confirmed!

You're very late to this party ;)

I thought so too at first, but I'm willing to bet that nearly 100% of Wii U owners are also 3DS owners, and that a large % of those people who were interested in Revelations had already played it on the handheld.

Resident Evil has a strong history with Nintendo platforms by now. It would be silly to assume that a late multiplat port of a previously also Nintendo-exclusive RE title which did okay would suddenly determine the series' future for Nintendo systems. That doesn't mean RE7 is a safe bet, though. As long as it's not a lightgun shooter or a tower defense game lol. (zombie tower defense, has anyone thought of that yet? :p)

daakusedo

Thanks for the NPD numbers! Yes, Ubi did the wrong choice with Rayman.

On another topic :

So daakusedo provide me with the link and yes, the guy discovered this third party Wii U exclusive 2 years ago, which is not contradictory with his recent tweet (he was in Japan and could have heard about it again). Also, he says the game is "not a system seller".

He also said there are other exclusive games coming from japanese studios, so 2014 would be the year we see the results.

maxcriden

Per Chake in the Iwata thread:

Chake said:
I just hope we get a ND before the end of Jan.

Edit: Found this in /v/. It looks legit, but it's best take it with a grain of salt for now.

1389894650284.png

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Do they seem not legit to you? I really wasn't sure. Lots of good ideas in there. I'd love to see a new Starfy...who knows if it would even come to the West though.

Just to clarify, I have notghin against you or the other user that posted those "leaks", but...
I think that the only Nintendo related real concrete leaks are the Nikkei ones.

Has a leak from /v/ ever turned out real? Honest question.

The author certainly took pains to be grounded with those rumors.

edit: First time through, I overlooked "diggersby is tom nook of pokemon crossing." Even if that becomes fake, that laugh is worth it. If it becomes real, the eternal laughs will be better.

maxcriden

Just to clarify, I have notghin against you or the other user that posted those "leaks", but...
I think that the only Nintendo related real concrete leaks are the Nikkei ones.

Oh, I wasn't offended. I really have no idea if they're real. They sound real in parts, but I honestly do not have a lot of experience with these leaks so I wasn't sure.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It has been rumored. That's also why it's there. Whoever made those "leaks" just threw in every rumor from the past year or two and added a few safe bets. Not worth discussing in my opinion.

This.
If you want I can make my own leaks-list

maxcriden

I see nothing D:

Will try that when I get home, thx

Is the image link not working for you? I can probably summarize the image if need be.

It has been rumored. That's also why it's there. Whoever made those "leaks" just threw in every rumor from the past year or two and added a few safe bets. Not worth discussing in my opinion.

You very well could be right. It's too bad because that would be quite a spectacular lineup of games if true.

D-e-f-

Banned
Do they seem not legit to you? I really wasn't sure. Lots of good ideas in there. I'd love to see a new Starfy...who knows if it would even come to the West though.

Best course of action: Consider them complete bullshit and be surprised if any of them turn out to be true.

A lot of it is random nonsense pulled form interviews and old rumors and safe bets mixed with stuff everyone wants.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It is very simple to leak about Nintendo.
Due to the fans attachment to the console, due to the lack of continuos support and due to the various IP portfolio they have, there are rumors everywhere.
Collect them all (LOL) = leaks

Every game listed there was rumored separately before, with some very safe additions both about games and "tips" (flipping table at Zelda team because of WW and ALBW, when WW was done in less than 6 months, recycling a lot of assets and storyboard and mechanics, while experimenting with the new one?)

maxcriden

Please do :)

NP!

Just because I don't really know how legit this is, here are the games it rumors coming out later this year: Pokken Wii U, Pokemon x Animal Crossing 3DS 2015, Seaman 3DS, Glory of Heracles 3DS, Metroid Fracture 3DS, Custom Robo eShop, Starfy eShop, TGC Battle Wii U, Rhythm Heaven: 3Dance, X is Xenodoll, Steeldiver Subwars launching after ND, Mii for Smash 4, Crashmo sequel by IntSys for Wii U eShop, Dillion Wii U eShop, MK8 4/3, Zelda U is a mess and Miyamoto had to intervene and it uses a 2 screen secret discovery gimmick, SNES Remix is possible, old and new guards are disagreeing over HD.

Kandinsky

NP!

Just because I don't really know how legit this is, here are the games it rumors coming out later this year: Pokken Wii U, Pokemon x Animal Crossing 3DS 2015, Seaman 3DS, Glory of Heracles 3DS, Metroid Fracture 3DS, Custom Robo eShop, Starfy eShop, TGC Battle Wii U, Rhythm Heaven: 3Dance, X is Xenodoll, Steeldiver Subwars launching after ND, Mii for Smash 4, Crashmo sequel by IntSys for Wii U eShop, Dillion Wii U eShop, MK8 4/3, Zelda U is a mess and Miyamoto had to intervene and it uses a 2 screen secret discovery gimmick, SNES Remix is possible, old and new guards are disagreeing over HD.

Sounds lame, so it can be real. Thanks bro.

Top Bottom