• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

TunaLover

What about if I have a legit physical copy of a game and I remove the SD card?
Oh, you mean something different, SD card with homebrew files on it doesn't affect console behavoir. It only disable online when you load games from SD card through Loadiine.

Xbro

Okay so here's a quick question. I have a copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and I want to apply the restoration patch. I'm at chapter 3 on the game though. Is there any way to use my save file if I dump the game using ddd?

Madao

i'm a bit out of date so i figured i'd ask.

there's still no way to move back a savefile from a game ripped from the console, correct?

i ask this because i managed to transfer my Mario Tennis N64 cart save data to the Wii U VC version and it'd be nice if there was a way to move that savefile to the VC version in the console's memory since the version ran from the HBL doesn't log your playtime properly.

TunaLover

Okay so here's a quick question. I have a copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and I want to apply the restoration patch. I'm at chapter 3 on the game though. Is there any way to use my save file if I dump the game using ddd?
Yes, Loadiine/digital/disc saves use the same format. Use saviine to dump your save.

epmode

I'm having trouble getting DDD to recognize my computer. The server application just stays on "Waiting for WiiU connection" even though I entered my PC's IP address in the Wii U app. When I try to launch the game I want to dump, it just launches normally.

My Wii U is connected wirelessly to the same router my PC is using. I've disabled all firewalls and virus scanners.

edit: Fixed it by rebooting and manually disabling everything on my PC again: Malwarebytes Pro, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall

edit edit: Oh god it's so slow. ~170 kb/s
It's going to take a week like this.

editx3: And then the game launched hours before the dump was done. Good times.

edit4: Rebooted again, disabled the screen dim in the Wii U (since I think the game launch coincided with it) and tried again. 750 kb/s now. Not quite so awful but still slowwwwwwww.

epmode

I swear, this is the most frustrating thing ever.

I finally got the Tokyo Mirage Sessions patch installed, confirmed that the files were valid (using the patcher tool), copied the new files to <SD ROOT>\wiiu\games so that I have three folders:

SD:\wiiu\games\Tokyo Mirrage Sessions # FE [ASEP01]\code
SD:\wiiu\games\Tokyo Mirrage Sessions # FE [ASEP01]\content
SD:\wiiu\games\Tokyo Mirrage Sessions # FE [ASEP01]\meta

Loadiine sees the game but won't launch it. A loading bar appears for a split second but nothing ever happens.

Other people report that this has to do with the file structure on the SD card but I can't see anything wrong with it.

edit: GOT IT. The explanation is a bit long:

I was having so much trouble ripping my eShop copy of the game that I just downloaded a pirated copy (I OWN THE GAME). As it turned out, the Code folder was empty in this downloaded copy. I filled the Code folder with the files from my previous failed rips and everything launched properly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really sucks nothing's coming out of the HB community... with its 2GB when it was first hacked I was dreaming of playing at the very least CPS2 games full speed on the gamepad... super weird not even Retroarch has a fork for it.

Platy

Really sucks nothing's coming out of the HB community... with its 2GB when it was first hacked I was dreaming of playing at the very least CPS2 games full speed on the gamepad... super weird not even Retroarch has a fork for it.

They are probably waiting for better hacks that have stuff like usb support...

Dash Kappei

OMG!
It's finally happening I'm so happy... I even prefer it than playing it on my DS or N3DS!

RA4BQ5y.jpg

IUr7KGC.jpg

zMWgYhc.jpg

Shizza

Quick question that I may have missed the answer to:

After you inject a game into the wrapper from another VC title and load it onto the Wii U, are you able to keep it on the Wii U's internal storage indefinitely, or do you need to load it into the Wii U's memory every time you want to play it?

Robin64

Quick question that I may have missed the answer to:

After you inject a game into the wrapper from another VC title and load it onto the Wii U, are you able to keep it on the Wii U's internal storage indefinitely, or do you need to load it into the Wii U's memory every time you want to play it?

You have to use Loadiine and load it from the SD card each time. We don't have a way to install titles to the Wii U yet. (And honestly, I'm not sure we ever will, given how quiet the Wii U HB scene is..)

Shizza

You have to use Loadiine and load it from the SD card each time. We don't have a way to install titles to the Wii U yet. (And honestly, I'm not sure we ever will, given how quiet the Wii U HB scene is..)

Thanks Robin. That's a little inconvenient, but still better than not being able to do it at all. Now, if I can get Tetris working on my Wii U, that would be divine!

Xbro

Trying to patch my TMS#FE, and when I was looking at the patch thread this was stated

Please do not apply the patch to a game on your SD card, this can cause space and speed issue and cause corruption of your game files.

Is there another way to patch the game aside from the SD card?

ujnhunter

Neo Member
Trying to patch my TMS#FE, and when I was looking at the patch thread this was stated

Is there another way to patch the game aside from the SD card?

Perhaps it just means to patch the game while on your computer HDD, not directly on an SD Card? Then move the game to an SD Card for use. (Just a guess...)

I still can't get anything to load from Loadiine, not sure what step I'm missing. Turn on Wii U, go to web browser, launch hack site, click on Homebrew Channel, Homebrew Channel launches, load Loadiine from HBC, Select Game from Loadiine, Black Screen forces hard reboot. What am I missing?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps it just means to patch the game while on your computer HDD, not directly on an SD Card? Then move the game to an SD Card for use. (Just a guess...)

I still can't get anything to load from Loadiine, not sure what step I'm missing. Turn on Wii U, go to web browser, launch hack site, click on Homebrew Channel, Homebrew Channel launches, load Loadiine from HBC, Select Game from Loadiine, Black Screen forces hard reboot. What am I missing?

Maybe a bad dump?

Joey Ravn

Banned
GX2 UI - File browsing

A video showing a file browser with Nintendo-like interface for the upcoming IOSU exploit.

I also haven't seen this mentioned, but this is what Wulfy (a SALT developer working on it) said about the exploit a few days ago:

Regarding hax progress, our pace has picked up a little bit compared to the last month. UI stuff is coming along well, and I'm presently working on implementing about 3 different features which all require a ton of reverse-engineering. That's been going well so far though. After that there's a lot more user-facing functionality (the Bonus Features) we need for launch, as well as making sure UX is good and stuff Just Works(tm) without much hassle. Once stuff is a bit more coherent and UI is up to snuff I figure we'll do some sorta demo video? Once we're at that point we'll prolly be close to launch anyways and it'll be more appropriate to drum up a bunch of hype, I figure.

Platy

every progress is good progress...

those "fuck this shit wiiu homebrew is not worth the time" people long time ago were really traumatizing =P

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cool!

I'm really just waiting for game ripping to Hdd, but can't wait to see what else comes from this.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nikki has "leaked"/published the a Wii U's OTP that she got using SALT's tools. If you follow the 3DS scene, you know what this means.

Apparently, you can get the OTP even on latest firmware (5.5.1), but I can't post it since, well, it's not-so-legal content. That's what the pastebin said, though:

Welp, guess there's no point in keeping this sekrit anymore :p
Here y'all nerds go, the full Wii U OTP dumped with SALT's tools!

Ye might be all askin "Nikki, why leak this now?"
I don't really care about the Wii U anymore and someone (not saying who) was going to leak this anyway

btw, Make sure yOu tRack thE New eXit arouNd thE WaShing machine SOON

How would I use this to make the Wii U region free? I want to play a physical copy of Fatal Frame V :(

Download the homebrew 'store', download OurLoader, Run it with the game in the drive.

Nikki has "leaked"/published the a Wii U's OTP that she got using SALT's tools. If you follow the 3DS scene, you know what this means.

Apparently, you can get the OTP even on latest firmware (5.5.1), but I can't post it since, well, it's not-so-legal content. That's what the pastebin said, though:

So looking into this, even if she did get an OTP, it's not very useful as it. Most of it is redacted either because it's still not accessible (system blocked access) or because it's console specific... Since it's not in any way annotated beyond that, I'm not sure there is anyone in the hacking scene that can do anything with it either, except maybe use it as confirmation if they managed to dump their own that their's is legit.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So looking into this, even if she did get an OTP, it's not very useful as it. Most of it is redacted either because it's still not accessible (system blocked access) or because it's console specific... Since it's not in any way annotated beyond that, I'm not sure there is anyone in the hacking scene that can do anything with it either, except maybe use it as confirmation if they managed to dump their own that their's is legit.

Well, as in the case of the 3DS, the Wii U OTP changes on a per-console basis. So even if hers had been fully publicly available, nothing could be made from it. I guess the "leak" is more of a "see, we can get this stuff now" than anything else.

Edit: It seems that it wasn't Nikki who leaked the OTP, but rather someone who used her name. Be as it may, the OTP is legit, and the "x" correspond to the values unique to that specific console.

I think now's a good time to unplug my Wii U. Homebrew may not have moved Nintendo to update the console, but an IOSU exploit might.

Dash Kappei

Is there any way to remove the dark filter from the n64 paper mario vc?

I looked into this too and I couldn't find much information. Would be nice to have emulation support on the gamepad that didn't suck.

Yes.
Never done it for N64 games (also removing blur on SNES), just 2X resolution on NDS where you'd go just changing parameters in the ini file (json).
I think N642VC (the injector) has the parameters fixed tho? I mean, my SNES inject aren't blurry like the official VC releases so I'd guess so but I can't confirm it... try it?

edit:
Did some research and it seems the HEX values to fix the dark issue have not been discovered yet (but a bunch of cool stuff did!), sorry

opoth

Banned
At this point, I hope they just wait until after BotW is released to publish any possible IOSU exploit. I think Nintendo is less likely to fight back with updates at that point. I'd like to just exploit the system and forget about it.

Robin64

I have it on almost everything else I own, but I'd really love Retroarch on Wii U. I hope the IOSU thing is a trigger for someone compiling it. Even if it's a quick and dirty port, it should be fairly decent.

bomblord1

Banned
Has there been any update on game ripping? The only ripper I knew of didn't work for me as it required a dump to network storage.

I really want to try running Mario Kart 8 on Cemu

I'm having trouble figuring out how to dump my DLC to use with loadiine... I bought the #fe DLC, but I know I have to to dump that and put the DLC folder in my game's dumped folder to work... What's the process on actually dumping the DLC to do that then?

Has there been any update on game ripping? The only ripper I knew of didn't work for me as it required a dump to network storage.

I really want to try running Mario Kart 8 on Cemu

There really hasn't been an update to anything... Without an IOSU hack, there is little that can be done. To currently work any device (drive, SD card slot, USB, etc) you currently have to hi-jack an existing process that has access to it. Since Wii U games are completely separate and can't co-incide with another major process, the only way to access the disc drive (for dumping) and transfer the files somewhere is over wifi (or USB ethernet dongle if you have it).

Once we can install custom IOSU, a custom USB driver can be written allowing anyone to dump to that instead, but until then it's wifi or bust.

(edit) Seems I've answered my own question, have to use DDD to redump the disc with the DLC. Deleted the game off my harddrive, so now I have to sit through dumping the entire 12gb or so again just for the DLC, unless there is some option I'm missing to skip dumping the game again.

Robin64

You only need to dump the /aoc/ folder.

titledumper /vol/aoc "<dumppath>"

Then put that folder with your already other dumped folders, enable DLC in loadiine, and away you go.

I can't get my 128GB card to work with the WiiU. I think I tried everything, format it to Fat32 with different tools (e.g. GUIformat), 32 and 64 cluster size, nothing worked.I always get SD mount failed.

It is a Samsung MicroSDXC 128GB EVO Plus UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 card. Is this card maybe not compatible with the WiiU? Is there anything else I could try to get it to work?

I can't get my 128GB card to work with the WiiU. I think I tried everything, format it to Fat32 with different tools (e.g. GUIformat), 32 and 64 cluster size, nothing worked.I always get SD mount failed.

It is a Samsung MicroSDXC 128GB EVO Plus UHS-I Grade 1 Class 10 card. Is this card maybe not compatible with the WiiU? Is there anything else I could try to get it to work?

In case someone has the same problem:
I managed to make it work thx to a suggestion I found on gbatemp. I had to use this Panasonic tool to first format it back to exFat and then I reformatted again with the 64bit version of this FAT32 Formatter.
Doing that fixed the mount fail issue.

LordKano

Is there a homebrew or something similar available to "tweak" the language in Star Fox Zero ? I'll explain : I have a French copy of Star Fox Zero, but I want to play it in English (because the voice acting is vastly superior), the only official way to do it is to change the language of the console via the settings. The main problem is that it take at least ten minutes each time (seriously, I'm not kidding) you change the language , and you have to revert it manually after you're done playing.

Has someone worked on a fix for this ? In order to have Star Fox Zero (the retail copy btw) run in an other language than the main one ?

Platy

http://gbatemp.net/threads/otp-access-via-iosu-kernel.445063/

There's a thread devoted to this already, but figured that will die down and we'll want to continue the discussion here.

Download the file, place it in the a wii u/apps/iosu folder on your Wii U SD card and boot up the .elf from the Homebrew Loader. I can confirm that it works (after a few tries). Also...

DON'T POST YOUR OTP ONLINE. It's copyrighted material.

But ... will we need this when actual homebrew channel drops ?

I never saw any homebrew that needed THE USER to have this kinda of info

Top Bottom