• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U in 2020

Doom85

I wasn't a fan of how the gamepad felt and the lack of third-party support hurt, but there was some great games for the Wii U IMHO. Mario 3D World. Smash Bros U. Bayonetta 2. Donkey Kong Country TF. Splatoon. Mario Kart 8. Captain Toad. Yoshi's Wooly World. HD Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. ZombiU. And I never even got around to Pokken, Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pikmin 3, Fatal Frame, etc. Also while they came to other systems, I got a blast out of games like Rayman Legends and Shovel Knight. Also, fuck it, while some of its levels sucked there was some Sonic Lost World levels that were really fun to play, and hell it was at least a better game than Sonic Boom.

Only stinkers for me was Star Fox Zero and Paper Mario Color Splash. But yeah, while I would rank it as my 2nd least favorite Nintendo system (the NES era just isn't for me personally. The great NES games are very well-made but many are just not my cup of tea) it still provided a lot of fun memories.

I bought a 2nd Wii U refurbished from Nintendo (so basically new) as backup "just in case" about 2 years ago ... but my original from 2012 is still going strong! I have two SD adapter USB drives, one for my Wii/GC games and one for my WII U games. I can't foresee ever getting rid of it simply for its backward compatibility with so many systems.

kunonabi

I got addicted to the leaderboard.

there was a few cheesy things you could do like how many times you jumped or died I would just leave the game on a lot to get top 10 ten on most of that

also trying to 100% it but there were a few late game bosses I could not take down

Im at 729 hours myself. I'm somewhat close to 100% I just have get a few more god/goddess armor sets, fill out the bestiary, do the dlc character stuff, and max the affinity links.

It won't be a true 100% since I don't think I made all the right decisions for the affinity links but I'm not starting a new save file for that. Should get me over a 1000 hours when its all said and done.

-Troid-

Banned
I've booted up Tropical Freeze the last few days and was reminded of some weird technical issues the WiiU has (or maybe it's just mine) like how the last time I played the system I had completely charged my Gamepad and pro controllers, but every time I go like 6 months without playing anything on it the Gamepad and ProCons need to be charged again. They just lose charge when not in use for a while.

Also It's a gamble just to get the damn thing to work on any given wifi network. I've tried everything and it refuses to work with my Wifi. I used to have a LAN adapter but lost it somewhere last time I moved. Anybody else ever have to deal with this crap?

Now I just try to use only the ProCons as to conserve the Gamepad, but man I gotta say the WiiU Pro Controller is one of Nintendo's best. It's lightweight, super comfy, and I actually like the right stick on top. Also the Gamepad is way more comfy than the Switch.

lachesis

I still have mine (launch black 32gb model, unmodded) - and hooked up to the basement retro gaming setup.
I occasionally turn it on - trying to get into Super Mario 3D world, but with all the new games out, having a hard time to find a good time to play.

Seeing this thread is making me feel like modding it with HDD - I only have a dozen or so games for it (and original Wii) - but seeing me not having time to play much at all, and I have my dedicated emulation setup made with Raspberry Pi for 8bit/16bit and some arcade games - I have very little desire to mod it, but still would like to buy some games for it.

I'm pretty sure that I'll get Bayonetta 1 and 2 sometime soon - but how is NInja Gaiden 3 RE?
I've never played NG3 before, (heard it was pretty bad) - I only played NG Black on original Xbox, and NG2 on Xbox 360... Is NG3 RE as good of a game like NGB and NG2?

-Troid-

Banned
I'm pretty sure that I'll get Bayonetta 1 and 2 sometime soon - but how is NInja Gaiden 3 RE?
I've never played NG3 before, (heard it was pretty bad) - I only played NG Black on original Xbox, and NG2 on Xbox 360... Is NG3 RE as good of a game like NGB and NG2?

Razor's Edge is a significant improvement to vanilla NG3, but that's not saying much. Vanilla NG3 took out the dismemberment mechanic and most of the weapons that were in NG2, along with any sort of challenge. You could basically just tap/hold heavy attack to win.

Razor's Edge tried to rectify this by adding those things back in, but it's clear the game wasn't built from the ground up with those mechanics in mind. The most annoying thing in NG3RE is how there's no healing items and you can only heal by using ninpos; it's really dumb. Most of the bosses suck too.

RE is still pretty good, but is a step down from it's predecessors.

TLZ

Banned
I've booted up Tropical Freeze the last few days and was reminded of some weird technical issues the WiiU has (or maybe it's just mine) like how the last time I played the system I had completely charged my Gamepad and pro controllers, but every time I go like 6 months without playing anything on it the Gamepad and ProCons need to be charged again. They just lose charge when not in use for a while.

Also It's a gamble just to get the damn thing to work on any given wifi network. I've tried everything and it refuses to work with my Wifi. I used to have a LAN adapter but lost it somewhere last time I moved. Anybody else ever have to deal with this crap?

Now I just try to use only the ProCons as to conserve the Gamepad, but man I gotta say the WiiU Pro Controller is one of Nintendo's best. It's lightweight, super comfy, and I actually like the right stick on top. Also the Gamepad is way more comfy than the Switch.
6 months is a very long time :pie_grinning_sweat:

lachesis

Razor's Edge is a significant improvement to vanilla NG3, but that's not saying much. Vanilla NG3 took out the dismemberment mechanic and most of the weapons that were in NG2, along with any sort of challenge. You could basically just tap/hold heavy attack to win.

Razor's Edge tried to rectify this by adding those things back in, but it's clear the game wasn't built from the ground up with those mechanics in mind. The most annoying thing in NG3RE is how there's no healing items and you can only heal by using ninpos; it's really dumb. Most of the bosses suck too.

RE is still pretty good, but is a step down from it's predecessors.

I see. THX!
Been having some severe crave for NG games lately. It seems like going for like 10 bucks on Amazon, so I may just check it out.. but just won't expect a lot from it.
Was also thinking about getting Sigma 1 and Sigma 2 for either Vita or PS3 - but decided not to... at least how Xbox Series X comes out and maybe I would BC play the NGB and NG2 it on 4k.

Old Retro

This thread has me charged up! I should pick one up just for Bayonetta 2. I have a modded Wii that collects dust, but it was fun when games were being released.

lachesis

Just ordered Bayonetta 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, Tokyo Mirage #FE and a $19 PowerLead pro controller style pad. Hope they are good.
Never played Tokyo Mirage #FE, so I have no idea what to expect - but since I like Atlus and Persona series - so I hope it's a good one. Looks a bit cringy though.. ;)
Also interested in Xenoblade Chronicles series, but never played it. Contemplating getting it on Switch when the Definitive Edition comes out....

I feel like bringing my Wii U back upstairs, so that I can play on my big OLED!

Orta

Banned
Necro bump.

How about this folks, my Wii U backlog. And you can add the console itself to the list, I think I bought it five or six years ago and it has yet to be unboxed (I hope it works). I've bought everything I want, along with a few Wii games that it'll play. I'm also waiting on a pro controller, I don't want to use the Wii U gamepad, or whatever its called as I want a different experience to my Switch.

Anywho, I bought all these over the past year, good choices? I'm missing the Metroid Trilogy, is that Wii or Wii U? And will there be any point in double dipping for the Switch versions? I was thinking of getting Captain Toad, Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros U for it.

Incidentally I've never played any of these. Not one. Ever.

Btw, will the aforementioned pro controller play the Wii games or will I need a Wiimote to get the best out of them?

wiiu.jpg

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

My collection:i bought hyrule warriors just yesterday and damn it's fun. I also feel the wii u might be the best nintendo console to date. Played wind waker hd and twilight prices hd on this baby and now play through skyward sword on wii vc. Still having a blast with this system.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Necro bump.

How about this folks, my Wii U backlog. And you can add the console itself to the list, I think I bought it five or six years ago and it has yet to be unboxed (I hope it works). I've bought everything I want, along with a few Wii games that it'll play. I'm also waiting on a pro controller, I don't want to use the Wii U gamepad, or whatever its called as I want a different experience to my Switch.

Anywho, I bought all these over the past year, good choices? I'm missing the Metroid Trilogy, is that Wii or Wii U? And will there be any point in double dipping for the Switch versions? I was thinking of getting Captain Toad, Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros U for it.

Incidentally I've never played any of these. Not one. Ever.

Btw, will the aforementioned pro controller play the Wii games or will I need a Wiimote to get the best out of them?

wiiu.jpg
That collection has a lot of overlap with mine, I should really remember it’s there more often.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is a Wii game, it’s on the Wii U store though if you fancy digital (I’d go disc though).

As far as I’m aware you can’t use Wii U accessories in Wii mode, the console runs as a Wii so it probably doesn’t take anything but Wii compatible stuff. I’d happily be wrong, though.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm currently playing yoshis wooly world with my son. Im Surprised how good this game is
Wooly World is my favorite Yoshi game, though it's fair to mention that I feel meh about most of the others (even though i grew up playing em). The level design somehow --- SOMEHOW -- keeps introducing new twists to the player even several worlds in. I consider myself a well seasoned platforming genre fan, but I was still impressed. I don't usually enjoy collectathons, either, but even so I had a lot of fun completing WW.

D.Final

Banned
I'm not big on posting threads, but i picked up one yesterday and thought it would be good to get one going. So, yesterday i did some trading and picked up a Black Wii U 32Gb with a pro controller and three games: Super Mario 3d world, Sonic Transformed, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Lego Dimensions, and Lego City Undercover. I've got a list created of more games I want to pick up, as well as some modding to be able to play Gamecube games and run some emulation. I bought one back when the Wii U first came out and enjoyed it but the slow release of games and the excitement from the soon to launch PS4 caused me to trade it in on a PS4 when it released. So there are a lot of games that i missed and want to play. Plus there are some great games for my kids to enjoy. In fact, my son's eyes went wide when he saw the Lego Dimensions box and was really excited about me hooking it up. So what's everyone's thoughts on the Wii U in 2020? Any good (or bad) memories? Favorite game you love from this system?
Well...
The big Nintendo mistake

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Beware the swollen tablet battery issue. My Wii U went outta commission in late 2020 because of it. Thankfully my favorite Wii U games like Wonderful 101, DK Tropical freeze, and the upcoming Mario 3D World have ports on other systems, so it wasn't a huge loss. I was already in the process of getting the Wii U gems on other systems anyway.

JC Denton said:
What a shame.

Banned
Are there any games that specifically require the tablet to play/complete?

uhm... a small handful yes. Nintendo Land for example (really fun, it got a bad rap for some reason...) but that game is the showcase title for it so makes sense.
Zombi U needs it because basically 90% of your HUD is on it and it's the only way to use your inventory and Machine Gun turrets.
I think Batman Arkham City needs it as well... but I never played that on Wii U

and I bet there are a lot more out there.
but also a giant pile of games that don't need it and only uses it as an optional thing (the Zelda remasters for example) or games that don't use it at all (Donkey Kong, Breath of the Wild)

Orta

Banned
Cool. I only asked because I thought it might have had one of those almost non-removeable batteries and my one has been sat in the gamepad for five or six years so who knows if it works or not.

I see from youtube replacing them is a doddle.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have one of the higher capacity batteries for the Gamepad. Yeah, I believed I’d need it.

This thread might just inspire me to return to the Wii U next in the backlog burn, so thanks! All 8 of us Wii U owners need to stick together

cireza

Banned
And will there be any point in double dipping for the Switch versions
I have both consoles and I can tell you, there isn't a single Wii U to Switch port that is worth the 45$ asked for.

I don't want to use the Wii U gamepad
You should give it a chance, the Gamepad is really comfortable. I would suggest using it, as well as putting it on the cradle for it to charge whenever you don't use it, and eventually get a better battery from (a cheap one, not an official one). Some games require the Gamepad anyway (and they are awesome, you should experience them : Zombi U, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage, Project Zero or Nintendo Land...). Many games offer inventory management on the Gamepad, it is really convenient (both Zelda games, Shovel Knight) etc...

I'm missing the Metroid Trilogy, is that Wii or Wii U?
That's a Wii game. Wii requires a functioning Wiimote to play, and you will have to install the sensor bar. I don't play any Wii games because of this, it is a hassle. However, I play a ton of Gamecube games, you simply have to softmod the console and install Nintendon't. You can play them directly on the Gamepad as well. As the Gamepad is 480 lines, it is a perfect fit for the Gamecube resolution. Also, you MUST try Gameboy Advance games on Wii U (through the official releases or through Retroarch). The Gamepad is a PERFECT fit for it, the games are absolutely magnificent played on it. And more generally, you can emulate all these older consoles perfectly and enjoy them on the Gamepad with integer scaling and a big nice picture as the resolution of the screen is a great fit for all these games.

Wii U is by far my favorite HD console (my collection is complete, I have 36 games). I had a lot fun playing it and still play it very often.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
That looks pretty good.
It does. I wrote a preview of the game and saw some unreleased footage. Its essentially a PS4/XBO game visually but at 720p.

The biggest minus is the constant delay. Last year it was known it would be released end of 2020, but here we are.

It really shows what Wii U is capable of.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
To me, outside of the dungeons, TP was the least Zelda like Zelda game of them all.
It's the least unique of the 3D-Zelda's. Literally an edgy Ocarina of Time with a wolf I didn't care for. It's still a great game, but it definitely felt like Nintendo was pressured to do this game after some virgins complained about Wind Waker's art style.

Orta

Banned
An unboxing six years in the making! :messenger_beaming:

IMG-20210205-165548.jpg

wiiu.jpg

€260/$315 I paid back then. Only for it to be thrown in a wardrobe. That was during my almost 20 hiatus from games, I kept buying stuff and just added games and consoles to the pile. It's so nice that I'm getting back into them and fitting that its via Nintendo, whom I started off with almost 40 years ago!

Bought a third party Pro controller, only cost €30, happy with that, should have it Monday. Can't wait to get stuck in. Saying that I haven't powered everything up yet, fingers crossed :messenger_hushed:

61ITTxLisIL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

IMG-20210205-165548.jpg

wiiu.jpg

€260/$315 I paid back then. Only for it to be thrown in a wardrobe. That was during my almost 20 hiatus from games, I kept buying stuff and just added games and consoles to the pile. It's so nice that I'm getting back into them and fitting that its via Nintendo, whom I started off with almost 40 years ago!

Bought a third party Pro controller, only cost €30, happy with that, should have it Monday. Can't wait to get stuck in. Saying that I haven't powered everything up yet, fingers crossed :messenger_hushed:

I bought my Pro Controller just to have a second for multiplayer and it was WELL worth the money. Enjoy charging it once a millennium.

cireza

Banned

IMG-20210205-165548.jpg

wiiu.jpg

I repeat myself but definitely use the cradle and put your GamePad on it everytime you don't use it. It will make your experience much better. Get a cheap, bigger battery.

At the time the Wii U was a good but very frustrating console to own. I remember after launch, it was a solid 3 or so months before another Nintendo published game came out (lego city) and then another few more months until Pikmin3 came out.

This thread is making me want to finally mod the ole Wii U and get the native gamecube functionality and emulators going

£65 here

Thats like only $100

stop being poor
Pfffft...I'm not spending £65 on a used game from CEX unless it's a mint condition copy of The Twin Snakes that I stumbled across when I just happened to pop in to window shop...except that actually happened and only I paid £40 for it.
I'd rather just buy MPT digitally. I'd be playing it with PrimeHack anyway. so it's not like the disc would be much use to me.

Alan Wake

I bought one in 2019 and spent a year buying and playing around 30 games. It's a nice plug and play machine with lots of great platformers. Zombi U is solid too, and Rayman Legends plays best on Wii U thanks to the touch pad. The Gamepad is awkward to use, though, and rarely offers something special. It feels like a retro console.

Last edited:

PooBone

I'm not big on posting threads, but i picked up one yesterday and thought it would be good to get one going. So, yesterday i did some trading and picked up a Black Wii U 32Gb with a pro controller and three games: Super Mario 3d world, Sonic Transformed, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Lego Dimensions, and Lego City Undercover. I've got a list created of more games I want to pick up, as well as some modding to be able to play Gamecube games and run some emulation. I bought one back when the Wii U first came out and enjoyed it but the slow release of games and the excitement from the soon to launch PS4 caused me to trade it in on a PS4 when it released. So there are a lot of games that i missed and want to play. Plus there are some great games for my kids to enjoy. In fact, my son's eyes went wide when he saw the Lego Dimensions box and was really excited about me hooking it up. So what's everyone's thoughts on the Wii U in 2020? Any good (or bad) memories? Favorite game you love from this system?
I just got Twilight Princess HD for it this week.

I thought the new Star Fox was a big let down.

The Virtual Console is still the thing missing from Switch that keeps me from upgrading.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I went hard on my WiiU from September - December 2020. Need to get back at it but have been playing the Saturn and PS4 recently. The WiiU is such a fantastic system though, people who hate on it are straight up wrong. It's not the best system by any means but the library has some absolute gems and the off screen gaming is great if your wife/kids need the TV. Also, the gamepad does look like a fisher price toy but it is comfortable as can be and I prefer it any day over the Switch. WiiU just gets hate cause it's easy to rag on something when everyone else is.

ZombiU is a title you need in your collection. It's so damn good. Hands down one of the best survival horror experiences you'll ever have. Fatal Frame 5 is really cool too but kind of pricey if you're on a budget.

Definitely scoop up all the digital titles you can before they shut the eShop down, it's just a matter of time.

Also, if you haven't played BOTW before, the WiiU version is rock solid. I put probably 80 hours in, well over half was in handheld mode and I never had any issues. Some people act like it's broken on the WiiU but come on, it was ported to the Switch. It runs just fine on the WiiU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom