• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is coming to Brazil on November 26, R$1899

Massa

Nintendo just announced the most expensive Wii U in the world: the system is finally arriving in Brazil on November 26, in the 32GB bundle with NSMB + New Super Luigi U. The price is R$1899 (about $829). Games will go for R$179-R$199 ($77-87). The system will be available for pre-order starting this Friday at midnight.

The price disparity between the Wii U and PS4 (R$1899 vs R$3999) is quite interesting, given that both systems are imported and should pay the same taxes. You can buy a Wii U and an Xbox One for the price of a PS4.

From UOL Jogos.

preco-wii-u.jpg

Road

Wii U price is 2.8x US price. Unknown if assembled in Brazil.

PS4 price is 4.3x US price. Not assembled in Brazil.

XBO price is 2.0x US price. Assembled in Brazil.

Massa

Wii U price is 3.3x US price. Unknown if assembled in Brazil.

Wii U is definitely not assembled in Brazil, Reggie said that's not possible a few weeks ago.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The price disparity between the Wii U and PS4 (R$1899 vs R$3999) is quite interesting, given that both systems are imported and should pay the same taxes. You can buy a Wii U and an Xbox One for the price of a PS4.

Dat PS4 price.

RobRSG

Imported WiiU are already being sold in Brazil for R$1.200,00.

Paying this much for the officially imported one is bullshit.

Tiu Neo

LOCK

I wonder how it will be received. Are there any reports of how much the Wii sold? Was it sold in Brazil? I remember seeing 3/DS numbers somewhere.

It is important to note that Brazil is the second largest American market for games. Prices explain this.

Massa

"According to Fils-Aime, Brazil's manufacturing industry lacks the technical capabilities to produce a Nintendo game system."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-24/nintendo-s-unbeatable-level-brazil.html

Wait didnt it come out last year?
What about this?
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501980
confused.

That's an import.

Frodo

Wait, how come Nintendo is not paying all the taxes Sony has to pay to import the PS4?

The Wii U should cost R$2999.99 going by what Sony is paying, right?

Damaniel

Banned
Is minimum wage $25 an hour in brazil? damn thats crazy

Not even close (apparently, national minimum wage is 8,814 Brazilian real / year -- a little less than $4000/yr US). At those prices, next gen consoles are purely a luxury good solely for the rich.

Mohasus

I don't know anyone who bought the official PS3 or Wii (360 was manufactured here and its price was really close to unofficial importers). So yeah, it sucks but there are other options.

ethomaz

Banned
Wii U price is 2.8x US price. Unknown if assembled in Brazil.

The article says imported.

"A versão do console vendida no país será importada." = "The console version sold in the country will be imported"

I don't know anyone who bought the official PS3 or Wii (360 was manufactured here and its price was really close to unofficial importers). So yeah, it sucks but there are other options.
My PS3 is official... I paid R$1300 with Sony Brasil warranty and all.

"According to Fils-Aime, Brazil's manufacturing industry lacks the technical capabilities to produce a Nintendo game system."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-24/nintendo-s-unbeatable-level-brazil.html

That's an import.

Wow, what a jerk. I´m not surprised it´s Reggie tough, he loves to say outlandish things that are bogus.

It´s one of these threads again: remember guys, the WiiU price discrepancy compared to the PS4 is due to much much Nintendo declared the internal transfer price, so it´s pointless to compare MSRP prices to determine how much it should cost in Brazil.

balohna

I'm surprised they're getting consoles so soon. Didn't PS2 officially launch there in like 2010 or something?

LuuKyK

I'm surprised the console business is even sustainable in Brazil.

Same here. And I would say its pretty successful judging by how BGS turned into a huge game show (I think its only behind E3 and TGS). I can only imagine how much bigger it should be without these fucking taxes and absurd pricing.

Utterly absurd prices from the Brazilian government...this is why console gaming can never take off in the country.

Imagine if Brazil had normal prices for games and consoles? They could be a very important market that gets watched closely by companies.

Brazil has 201 million people (the world's fifth largest country) and has the 6th largest GDP. Theoretically they should be a very important player to the three console manufacturers.

But $830 for a Wii U? That just ruins it. Such a damn shame.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm surprised they're getting consoles so soon. Didn't PS2 officially launch there in like 2010 or something?
2009 but PS3 and 360 launched a year after... 2010 or 2011.

I can say we are inline with WW launch right now... PS4 and Xbone day one with the rest of the world.

Top Bottom