• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is now as old as the DreamCast when it got discontinued, sold worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tweet from MCV editor Ben Parfitt

@BenParfitt The Wii U is now as old as the Dreamcast was when it was killed off. It has sold around half the number Dreamcast had by this point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BenParfitt/status/453550188532342785

DreamCast completed it's global roll-out by November 1999 and was discontinued in March 2001. Technically it was released a year earlier than that in Japan, but even when you remove Japanese DreamCast sales altogether (2.8m out of 10.6m) Wii U sales still lower.

RiggyRob

If the Wii U was going to be discontinued, it would have happened already. Nintendo will stick with it for as long as they have to.

antitrop

Saturn was a failure, Wii was a success. Nintendo can afford a failure. Plus they have the handheld market by the balls.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yes, Wii U i selling terribly and Nintendo's situation has almost zero in common with Sega's back in the day.

Zalman

Sega had multiple failing consoles in a row. Nintendo is still sitting on a mountain of cash.

The Wii U will live for a few more years.

Into

I love how Dreamcast has been able to linger as this dark cloud over the industry for more than 10 years now. Its like the console is immortalized through its premature death.

PS2 is the warrior who came, conquered and left. Dreamcast is the creepy kid, who died in the attic and still haunts the dreams of men everywhere.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dreamcast sold alright, the problem was Sega was holed below the water line before it even came out.

Wii U's sales are a big problem but comparisons with Sega are pointless.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Time for Nintendo to make some tough decisions.

I suspect the decision has already been made. Barring an insane blowout at E3, I expect not many internal Wii U projects are starting right now and support is already winding down once the announced titles come out.

Linkyn

The Dreamscast would have had to sell a lot better to save Sega at that point. Nintendo can stomach a bad console (at the very least, they can nearly compensate for it with their handheld). That said, I am eagerly awaiting the day the Wii U hits those Dreamcast numbers so we can finally put this topic to rest.

Edit:

Time for Nintendo to make some tough decisions.

Oddly enough, I had a dream last night that Iwata had passed away and they put a European in charge of their WW operations.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I love how Dreamcast has been able to linger as this dark cloud over the industry for more than 10 years now. Its like the console is immortalized through its premature death.

PS2 is the warrior who came, conquered and left. Dreamcast is the creepy kid, who died in the attic and still haunts the dreams of men everywhere.

Best and most accurate description of Dreamcast ever.

Radec

Mario Kart tho.

now wheres the updated image of this..

i7wFEoynrqM6W.png

The Llama

A bit depressing, to be honest. Whats even more depressing is I don't think they're going to make the right moves with their next console either.

rokkerkory

please tell me more... what was the GC?

Tobor

The Wii U is Nintendo's Saturn. The next system will be their Dreamcast, and then they'll exit the hardware market.

braves01

Banned
Dreamcast is more comparable to the Vita --> lots of Japanophile games, lots of ports, handful of decent exclusives

Sega was already is trouble when the dreamcast was released, they needed the dreamcast to save them after the Saturn bombed. Comparing the two is kind of stupid.

Cipherr

Sega had multiple failing consoles in a row. Nintendo is still sitting on a mountain of cash.

The Wii U will live for a few more years.

That mountain is quickly becoming a molehill breh

Lol, Dreamcast was way more impressive at the time and had a better lineup of games that came out at a steady clip. Wii U is garbage in comparison.

Yep not even close. The DC was really going hard. Shame about the way it all turned out. The WiiU has some good games, but it cant touch the DC's library.

Nintendo can afford to have the Wii U bomb while Sega could not.

Pretty much this. Nintendo still has a fair amount of money in the bank from a highly successful previous generation and a still-successful handheld business, Sega was coming off of a third place finish (among other blunders: 32X, Sega CD, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom