• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U launch parties: what was your friends/family reception of the system?

nickcv

we are having a lot of doom and gloom here on gaf, and for several reasons.

i'm pretty sure many of you threw some launch party inviting friends and family over to experience the console.
So let's try to look outside of the hardcore fan base, and take a peek at what others think of the system.

What did your friends/family members think about it?
What did you guys play?

ps: hope mods won't lock this one >.<

codhand

mostly complaints about the RAM speed. My aunt said she's waiting to hear about that third die and the mysterious edram.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
mostly complaints about the RAM speed. My aunt said she's waiting to hear about that third die and the mysterious edram.

LOL

My family had a blast with Nintendoland. Everyone loved it.

It was sort of awkward. A few people froze up. Luckily not everyone who came has the best memory, so maybe they'll forget about the accounts they made on my system for later.

Soul_Pie

Yeah, I'm gonna invited a whole bunch of people over for when I buy my Wii U, hopefully I can get my bro to buy a few more controllers as well.

I'm actually most pumped about playing Nintendo land.

In all seriousness, I didn't get one but one friend of mine said "Nintendoland is pretty great" and another friend is so pissed about the launch he didn't actually open his. Conflicting reports abound.

dankir

Hooked it up on my upstairs TV so my wife could see my shiny new toy.

Immediately tested out the gameplay to tablet switch feature and it worked flawlessly. Playing a full blown AC3 on the go while roaming the main floor of my house? FUCKING AMAZING. My bathroom on my main floor is quite close but I was able to play on the can with the door closed. The remote control feature is even better because I can switch from console to table on the fly + switch to my wife's channel for her is even better. Seriously this system is convenient!

There were some technical issues, I had 1 lockup and seems the loading is a bit excessive. But these are launch jitters.

Nintendoland is very fun and my wife isn't a gamer but she loved it. In particular the Luigi's Mansion and Mario Chase games.

Very impressive visuals, glad to finally see Nintendo games in HD. Mario U is pretty as shit.

Don't even get me started about ZombieU.... SYSTEM SELLER RIGHT THERE.

SURVIVAL HORROR IS BACK.

IrishNinja

i had just gotten off a double shift, and stoopid gamestop wasnt opening till 11am. i killed some time then met up with friends to pick it up and spend lots of money to beta things for the rest of the world.

i got home super groggy and waited something like an hour for the update, then another miserable hour or so for lazy immigrant pikmin to lift my crappy data and smuggle it across nintendo's borders. i setup my account and passed out before even playing mario. also my tiny dog urinated on the carpet out of disgust at the region locking and inability to unplug things during firmware updates.

overall it was meant to be joyous, but i made an unpleasant mission out of it, booze aside. which is to say, it was just like every irish family get together ever, so i'm glad i came.

In all seriousness, I didn't get one but one friend of mine said "Nintendoland is pretty great" and another friend is so pissed about the launch he didn't actually open his. Conflicting reports abound.

What is he pissed about? There are a lot of negatives in this launch, but for most people I can't imagine they would just make you not use it.

taku

The GF and I loved it, I played for 4 hours with her, unprecedented coop time with her!
YesJackNicholson.gif

andymcc

Banned
my girlfriend, who doesn't really play video games, ate up nintendoland. strangely, she really adored the pikmin and zelda minigames the most. hmmm

What is he pissed about? There are a lot of negatives in this launch, but for most people I can't imagine they would just make you not use it.

The OS speed issues and the Giantbomb stream showcasing the framerate problems with practically every game inspired some early-adopter remorse.

tkscz

I was the only one to fully pre-order it. My friend bought one and so did my girlfriend without telling me. My friend and his girl have been playing Black-Ops II this entire time (complaining that Zombie-U was too hard) and my Girlfriend has been playing NintendoLand. Expected them to like it, didn't expect them to buy one.

Hoodbury

My wife can't get enough of Pikmin Adventure. She also enjoys the Donkey Kong game. She doesn't like being chased though so she's not a fan of the Luigi ghost and animal crossing game.

My parents stopped over twice to play and they are awful gamers but had fun with the Mario Chase and Donkey Kong game. Tried Mario u with them as well but getting past the second level was a chore, heh.

Hopefully on Thanksgiving I'll get a couple more 'gamey' people to play and will finally get some people who know how to play video games. I really wanted to get some good sessions of those 3 competitive games in but it was hard with the people I've played with so far.

But I'm glad my wife is giving it a try and she is enjoying most of the games. She just hates the concept of being chased, lol. And doesn't like the competitive parts when she know's I'm better at it than her.

Spiderduff

Picked it in the AM as soon as best buy opened. No line. My cousin and little brother were the ones to enjoy this first. When we sat down and all played, 4 of us total, I must say I haven't laughed as hard as I did playing Nintendolands Mario Chase or the Animal Crossing game in a very long time. I mean, my sides hurt we were having so much fun.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Everyone (at my apartment) seemed to be pretty underwhelmed but towards the end of the night it had won us over. "The controller is huuuge!" (It really is, it's massive)

The remote play for assassin's creed 3 is really cool and zombiU is ridiculously brilliant. Miiverse is limited but fun and I love that Wii games display in 1080p.

Don't get me wrong though, there are a plethora of gripes I have but zombiU is so refreshing that I don't find myself focusing on the negatives of the launch as a whole.

The OS speed issues and the Giantbomb stream showcasing the framerate problems with practically every game inspired some early-adopter remorse.

Fair enough. The os speed is definitely trash and not something I expected to run into at all.

I just assume at this point that all third party launch titles on new consoles are just shit. If they're not it's a pleasant surprise!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have the worst internet, so the update took foreverrrr. My partner and I played some Sonic & All-Stars Racing together and had a blast. She played on the TV and I played on the pad. It was super fun. She watched me play the first world in NSMB U later, and we made her a Mii.

We're going to do a co-op run of Mario later on with some friends, and we still haven't dug into Scribblenauts or Nintendoland yet.

Vinci

Danish
Of all the Wii U threads, this is the one which should include information that I actually care about. Putting off a purchase of the system for a bit to see how things shake out, but the local multiplayer and community enjoyment aspects of the system are the things most likely to win a purchase from me.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I played NintendoLand with my sister, girlfriend, and her sister. We all had an absolute blast switching between Mario Chase, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion. We were screaming at the top of our lungs and laughing. My girlfriend already wants one. I played Madden with my brother, he wants to upgrade up from his Wii already as long as it plays old Wii games. Having your own play-book and being able to draw your routes on the Gamepad is really pretty exciting. Then when I showed him and my mom the Television control, browsing the web on the pad/TV, playing madden(or any game) on the pad while watching the television, watching netflix on either the pad or television, etc. they were impressed. My mom wants to get one for the downstairs so she can control netflix and the television with one item, and also be able to surf the web on both the television and the pad. NintendoTVii is going to be really big for them I believe.

Overall, everybody I have talked to in the outside world seems to be impressed with the WiiU so far. I feel like this is once again an occasion where GAF is thinking something completely different then the average consumer.

Tim-E

It's more like the wiiU itself was the buzzkill. They just didn't sugar coat the bullshit.

I wish I could be as cool of a gamer as those guys on Giant Bomb. They exist to remind me that I'm simply not a core enough gamer.

Overall, everybody I have talked to in the outside world seems to be impressed with the WiiU so far. I feel like this is once again an occasion where GAF is thinking something completely different then the average consumer.

GAF consensus is NEVER in tune with the average consumer consensus. "Core, Real Gamers" think they're the end all be all, but what they think should work and what ultimately ends up working rarely ever match.

Vinci

Danish

Hopefully this potentially very useful and informative thread doesn't get mired in cynical, macho bullshit. There are about eight other threads for that, folks. Move along.

Alec

I had a midnight launch 'get-together' with some friends. It involved us walking into WalMart at 11pm and being the first people in line. I live close by, so we got home around 12:15am or so. The System Update probably didn't complete until around 2am. Played for maybe 30 minutes, then we all pooped out.

It's neat, I guess. I would like a killer app though.

Chaplain

My wife and I had a really fun time. Nintendo Land is actually really good, but she was disappointed (like me) that the game has no online multiplayer component. It would have been nice to play Pikmin with more than 2 people at a time. She also enjoyed having her own screen when we played Nano Assault Neo and Nintendo Land.

I think the system is perfect for people who like to play co-op games at home together or with a family. We plan on buying Jeopardy down the line to play with my wife's parents next month. We also have our families coming over for Thanksgiving part 1 and 2 (Thursday and Saturday). It will be interesting to see what our families think of the system when we play games together on both days.

My girlfriend said the controller was dumb... then, we played Scribblenauts Unlimited. Well, I should say she played Scribblenauts Unlimited; she would not let go of the controller after that.

gaming_noob

Picked up the console at noon. Called a group friends and played 5 player Nintendoland. They seem to really like the console and are considering getting it themselves now.
I had to kick them out of my house after 10 hours of gaming, as I have work this morning.

I didn't even get a chance to play my zombiu.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sounds like that Giantbomb stream was a buzzkill for anyone who picked up the console.

Giantbomb hated it? Shit, then I'm almost guaranteed to love it... I don't think I've ever found a group of gamers whose tastes differed so much from my own...

NewFresh

Haven't played it yet. But my brother was texting me all day talking about how much fun he was having with Nintendoland and NSMBU. Sounds like everyone over there has been enjoying it a lot (Mother and both brothers). He also made me an account...guess he did not know about it being tied to the system.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt any single one of my friends even knows the console launched yesterday. No, actually one of them knows because I told him, but that's it.

Top Bottom