• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U may be renamed Wii Entertainment System and released on WiiWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoq

Like it or not, the Wii U branding/logo is already known worldwide. It's received press coverage on the large news sites (CNN, MSNBC, etc.), though not much since E3 2011, I still believe that was enough for the non-geeks to know about it. Even if this screenshot were real, I just don't see Nintendo changing the name of this thing now.

Robin64

But they've changed it to be Mario Party 9 now..?

upzWQ.png

SmithnCo

Wii 3 could be called Wii Multimedia Electronic Entertainment System by Nintendo Co., Ltd.

But seriously WES is horrible and confusing.

Valnen

It has begun:

WES
Super WES
Wii 64
Wii GameCube
Wii Wii
Actually...I could see this happening. If the Wii-U is weaker than the 360 and PS3 as rumors have suggested, I could totally see them releasing a Super Wii-U in middle of the PS4-720 generation and making it more powerful than both in an effort to crush Sony and Microsoft.

Tron 2.0

Like it or not, the Wii U branding/logo is already known worldwide. It's received press coverage on the large news sites (CNN, MSNBC, etc.), though not much since E3 2011, I still believe that was enough for the non-geeks to know about it. Even if this screenshot were real, I just don't see Nintendo changing the name of this thing now.
Like Revolution or Natal, right?

Tain

Why would Nintendo ever do something like this in Japan?

What relevance does "Nintendo Entertainment System" have to Japanese consumers?

c'mon

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The New Wii®
This is the best suggestion I've seen.

I think people give the Wii name way too much stock. The Wii is old news, and a lot of casual gamers are burnt out on the brand. That's what I've experienced from my friends and family, at least.

Clearly stating that this system is a NEW Wii is the only way to re-use the brand.

Emitan

Actually...I could see this happening. If the Wii-U is weaker than the 360 and PS3 as rumors have suggested, I could totally see them releasing a Super Wii-U in middle of the PS4-720 generation and making it more powerful than both in an effort to crush Sony and Microsoft.

Are you Pachter's alt account?

The Boat

While I'm not saying Wii Entertainment System wouldn't be confusing, people saying that keeping 'Wii' in the name is the same as the 3DS situation aren't thinking clearly.
3DS was a problem mostly because we have:
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSi XL
3DS

and the designs are all very similar.
With Wii U, even if the design is similar you only have two consoles: Wii and Wii U. That's it.

Also, it's irrelevant if Wii isn't selling right now, Wii is a gigantic brand name, there are tremendous advantages in keeping it.

they might have already missed the boat with the classic NES tie-in. shoulda done it with wii.

that said. theres no reason they can't call it Super Nintendo Wii.

I can guarantee you now 6000% its not a product of Photoshop . . . . It is 100% a screenshot taken running Chrome on my iMac . . .

...Which, assuming you're not just lying, doesn't get around the possibility you edited the HTML source and then just viewed the edited document in your browser.

It really is easier than Photoshopping sometimes...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
While I'm not saying Wii Entertainment System wouldn't be confusing, people saying that keeping 'Wii' in the name is the same as the 3DS situation aren't thinking clearly.
3DS was a problem mostly because we have:
DS
DS Lite
DSi
DSi XL
3DS

and the designs are all very similar.
With Wii U, even if the design is similar you only have two consoles: Wii and Wii U. That's it.

Also, it's irrelevant if Wii isn't selling right now, Wii is a gigantic brand name, there are tremendous advantages in keeping it.

This.

And there's even less confusion if you can only buy the controllers with the console.
Stops all those confused idiots buying a Wii U tablet for the Wii.

So, if it's not photoshopped, has anyone considered that it was just a placeholder that meant "Wii game information here" and not "WII U INFORMATION TOTALLY SCHEDULED HERE WITH NEW NAAAAAME"?

udivision

In chrome, you can right click and then "inspect element." that brings up the source code, and whatever changes you make there automatically show up in the browser.
ibyQ5WilJqXQfV.png

lenovox1

Nintendo. The Nintendo name holds more brand recognition than Wii. Call the system the Nintendo Revolution.

Done.

For whom? They dropped the "Nintendo" brand from Wii for a reason. They're calling its successor "Wii U" (if they can get trademark issues worked out) for a reason. Wii was its own brand, separate and distinct from "Nintendo", from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom