• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

L~A

New Features:

Wii U to Wii U System Transfer
Users can now transfer (move) all software and data from one Wii U to another
A “System Transfer” option has been added within System Settings
Click here for additional information on this feature

Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

And in Japan, you can now pay using SUICA-like cards!

About system transfers, works the same way as with the 3DS:

The Wii U to Wii U system transfer feature, implemented with the system update released July 21st, 2014, allows you to transfer content from one Wii U to another Wii U. Content from the source console, including any users, Nintendo Network IDs, save data, and digital content, will replace that on the target console.

As part of the system transfer process:

All content from a Wii U must be transferred. You cannot transfer just a single user or Nintendo Network ID through this process
All content on the target Wii U will be lost when the console is formatted and replaced by the content from the source Wii U, with the exception of Wii Menu content, Internet connection settings, TV settings, Wii U GamePad TV Remote settings, and Wii Remote and Wii U GamePad pairing
The source Wii U will be formatted once the transfer is complete
Nintendo Network IDs that previously existed on the target Wii U can be relinked after the transfer How to
If these Nintendo Network IDs are relinked, content purchased by them on the target Wii U will become available for download. The save data for IDs that previously existed on the target system will be deleted as part of the system transfer process, and any USB Storage devices that were previously used will need to be formatted to work with the Wii U again
There is a limit of 12 Nintendo Network IDs that can be linked to a single Wii U at one time
Wii Menu digital content is transferred, but it is not deleted from the target Wii U. Wii Menu digital content from both consoles will be combined

Source

Nice to see more controller support for the eshop. A few people were complaining about the gamepad only navigation the other day, glad they got this resolved.

Just went on the Eshop to impulse buy Street Fighter Alpha 2. Prompted to update. Go on GAF to see thread.

Still want Gamepad as Classic Controller in Wii Mode

Edit:

The controller thing was always weird. I could use a Pro Controller on Miiverse to type messages.

Now please add Wii Remote options to the internet browser and Netflix.

Looks like a Wii U to Wii U transfer does two interesting things:

1) Instantly unlinks any NNIDs on the target system, so they're free to be relinked wherever
2) Doesn't delete any Wii Menu software (Wii Virtual Console games, WiiWare), instead it combines the content from both consoles

Except there is.

What's lacking is that purchases aren't tied to them.

Purchases are completely tied to the NNID. The NNID is just tied to hardware with no way to get it off without calling Nintendo. THAT'S the part people don't like

Madao

one more step to not ever use the clunky gamepad.

now just patch pushmo to allow Wii U pro controller (there's absolutely no reason the Pro controller can't control this game in regular gameplay. you only need gamepad stuff when creating pushmo puzzles).

A fantastic update. My only concern is if you can transfer a single account, or multiple accounts.

Wii U transfer is all or nothing. The target Wii U gets reformated and just becomes a clone of the source Wii U (save for data in Wii Mode) and the source Wii U gets factory reset. NNIDs on the target Wii U get unlinked and are free to be relinked, NNIDs from the source Wii U get automatically linked to the target Wii U

These are great additions, now could we please get some 64 vc? I won't even ask for GC vc anymore, I just really want to play my copy of SM64 using the gamepad.

phanphare

Banned
Wii U revision incoming?

You sure? Last time I heard they were still bound to the system, even with the Account System.

all of your digital purchases are tied to an account. however that account can only be linked to one handheld and/or console at a time but (until this update) the user couldn't transfer their account from one Wii U to another without contacting Nintendo support.

yep.

Kriken

Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

This in particular sticks out to me, while they recently announced better support for the gamepad, an update like this could help pave the way for a gamepadless SKU

I'm sure a gamepadless model at $199 or less could sway those who view it as a Smash Bros console but can't justify $300 new

rpmurphy

You sure? Last time I heard they were still bound to the system, even with the Account System.
If you nuke your NNID, you can't get your downloads back; we had that thread quite some time ago where someone did this unintentionally. At least now, NNID's are not forever linked to one console (without CS intervention). Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Madao

This in particular sticks out to me, while they recently announced better support for the gamepad, an update like this could help pave the way for a gamepadless SKU

maybe they realized people want to have all options available...

Riki

Or, and hear me out, it's just making it easier for people to use certain aspects of the system.

It looks as though the main benefit of the system transfer, as with the 3DS, is as advance preparation for future cases of users switching SKUs (e.g. going from a Basic to a Deluxe for the extra onboard storage, then selling the Basic). I still don't understand the absence of a basic method for moving save data; I still have dozens of hours worth of save files trapped on somebody else's machine, like games where I was already deep into post-completion content, that I want to move over instead of playing through those games all over again. This is basic functionality, and it's still missing.

Trago

Wait a sec. The you don't need the gamepad to navigate the e-shop anymore?

Gamepad-less Wii U incoming. Actually, maybe not. This update doesn't say that you can navigate the system settings without the gamepad as far as I can tell, so looks like we still need the gamepad to navigate the system 100 percent.

Does this mean we get horse video games on the Wii U now?

Y'know, because it's so stable?

I'm sorry.

But seriously, thought it was going to be longer before another update, so I'll take what I get.

Jintor

It looks as though the main benefit of the system transfer, as with the 3DS, is as advance preparation for future cases of users switching SKUs (e.g. going from a Basic to a Deluxe for the extra onboard storage, then selling the Basic). I still don't understand the absence of a basic method for moving save data; I still have dozens of hours worth of save files trapped on somebody else's machine, like games where I was already deep into post-completion content, that I want to move over instead of playing through those games all over again. This is basic functionality, and it's still missing.

100% correct

Top Bottom