• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U or Switch for Breath of the Wild?

I had the chance to play the Wii U in its prime, finishing off Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and Mario Kart 8. I enjoyed it, and didn't think about the system until last night.

My girlfriend has had the hardest time acclimating to video games, and it was playing Breath of the Wild at a friends house, where she turned to me and said "Can we play this at home?"

So this gives me two options, picking up a Wii U and a copy of Breath of Wild or investing in a Switch and Breath of the Wild.

After a bit of research, the main hurtle is price:

For around $150, I can get a 32GB Wii U, Zelda, and a Pro controller

For around $450, I can get a New model Switch, Zelda, and a Pro controller

I watched Spawn Wave, Scott the Woz, Beat em Ups, and Wulff Den talk about it and I wanted to hear more about the consensus from NeoGAF about this.

Vitacat

I have over 150 hours of BotW on Switch, but yeah, if you want the best experience and have a decent PC, Cemu is amazing. You can use much higher resolutions, frame rates, other aspect ratios (i.e. 21:9 is glorious), use various graphics tweaks and enhancements, use whatever controls you want etc.

But if you want official, definitely Switch.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
150$ looks like a no brainer to me. And you can get pretty much any game for 15$, in case you want some more. Like, the same games that are 50$on Switch right now (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong etc...)

Yes, the game has some slowdowns on Wii U. Not a big deal in my opinion. Wii U has Mario 3D World, awesome game, 15$ as well used. You can't beat that argument anyway.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Switch version has a better framerate (Last I saw, the Wii U framerate can tank hard in towns) and resolution, but the differences are negligible otherwise.

It basically comes down to what you feel comfortable spending. Switch also viewed as an investment for the future and other modern games, could work, but if you just want BotW, and access to some great first party Wii U games, that’s a great price.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
150$ looks like a no brainer to me. And you can get pretty much any game for 15$, in case you want some more. Like, the same games that are 60$on Switch right now (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong etc...)

Yes, the game has some slowdowns on Wii U. Not a big deal in my opinion. Wii U has Mario 3D World, awesome game, 15$ as well used. You can't beat that argument anyway.

Smash 4 and Ultimate are different games.

Vawn

Banned
The answer should be Wii U. The game was clearly designed around the Wii U game pad from its inception. The Sheikah Slate IS the Wii U game pad.

But, Nintendo pulled all that to keep the Switch version from being inferior. So, I guess Switch is the way to go.

Birdo

Banned
Note, that if you pick up a Wii-U, and like Zelda, you'll be able to play:

Breath of The Wild
Twilight Princess HD
Wind Waker HD
Skyward Sword
The Minish Cap
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
A Link To The Past
Hyrule Warriors.

Compare that to Zelda games available on Switch:

Breath of The Wild
Link's Awakening
Hyrule Warriors
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
A Link To The Past

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I had the chance to play the Wii U in its prime, finishing off Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and Mario Kart 8. I enjoyed it, and didn't think about the system until last night.

Sounds like you've already gotten the most out of that system. Why buy it again for one game? Do you plan to resell it once you're done with Zelda?

You don't need a Pro controller right away. The Joy-Cons plus grip will work fine. I come up with $350 for a Switch plus BotW, though maybe you're not in the US.

I can't say what your situation is -- $350 is a chunk of change. Maybe it's not worth it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

My girlfriend has had the hardest time acclimating to video games, and it was playing Breath of the Wild at a friends house, where she turned to me and said "Can we play this at home?"

So this gives me two options, picking up a Wii U and a copy of Breath of Wild or investing in a Switch and Breath of the Wild.

I watched Spawn Wave, Scott the Woz, Beat em Ups, and Wulff Den talk about it and I wanted to hear more about the consensus from NeoGAF about this.
Funny i just bought a wii u dirt cheap inc all the exclusives+pro con.

Get a wiiu its great fun

If the hurdle is price, you seem to have answered your own question. Save the $300, and upgrade later when it's no longer a hurdle.

I played the Wii U version and the framerate goes to complete and utter shit in certain areas. However, you can save a lot of money by going that route and it IS playable.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Get the Wii U. Stash the tablet on a high shelf so that it gets used as little as possible.

It'll be the next Gamecube. Somewhere, some Nintendo fanboy will want to buy that from you. It has a good library and I expect that I'll start using it for its (imperfect) Wii emulation so that I can play some of those games upstairs again. My kids still play the system regularly. The tablet has permanent stick drift in the left analog. That's why I recommend stashing the tablet, because there are going to be a lot of Wii Us with bad tablets, so the systems with functioning tablets will be more sought after.

Quick EDIT: the tablet was likely damaged by my kids after so many drops on the floor. The screen remains perfectly functional, and the drift can be worked around in certain games that don't need that analog stick.

Last edited:

crumbs

You already suffered through owning a WiiU once, why would you do that to yourself again?

BotW runs like garbage on the WiiU, it's easily the worst performing Nintendo game I've played.

Quezacolt

go with you think you can afford, i have a wii u and played BotW on it, and outside of some villages and a certain forest, the game doesnt run bad, the wii u also has lots of good games, and if you want to mess with it to put some custom firmware, it can become a great emulation machine. I also have a switch, and if i were to reccomend one, it would be the switch, because you can have the future games made by nintendo and some of the great games released for it so far.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Dark horse: What about a Switch Lite?

$200, game cost, plus modern Nintendo gaming. But maybe OP and his girlfriend are more into playing on the TV.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
For that price, it's a no brainer. It runs well enough on the Wii U. I clocked around 300 hours on it and had so much fun doing so.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I got it on Wii U and I tried playing it using the Pro controller. But some shrines require you to use the Gamepad.

It's not a game breaking thing but I was a little surprised that you had to switch controllers. Was a little bit of a buzz kill for me. Basically the game is the same on either platform. But on Switch you can take it with you wherever you go, in the home, outside, toilet..whatever.. So Switch wins for me.

cireza

Banned
Pretty sure you got corrected saying something inaccurate, and can’t handle it.
Pretty sure it must be great fun being you in life. You also did not correct the fact that Donkey Kong has one more character and Mario Kart maybe a bunch of other things more. Obviously OP is highly interested by these facts.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Pretty sure it must be great fun being you in life. You also did not correct the fact that Donkey Kong has one more character and Mario Kart maybe a bunch of other things more. Obviously OP is highly interested by these facts.

I’m sure he’s more interested in Smash being two different games, whilst uninformed, arrogant jackasses try to tell him otherwise, then spend the next five posts saying it didn’t happen. Food for thought.

Phase

That's cool of you, OP. Let's see how long she stays interested. On the plus side if her interest is short you've got yourself a switch!

Pidull

I have played the game on both systems back-to-back. The Wii U version runs perfectly fine, the framerate issues are sometimes bad but it never stopped me from loving it. The switch to Switch was honestly not that noticeable.

Since you still don't have a Switch, I am assuming money is generally a limiting factor for you. Get the Wii U, do Switch later.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I played it on the WiiU with no problems. As EDMIX EDMIX said it was originally a WiiU title.
There are some decent games on the WiiU that you could get for good deals if you did want to play others.
The Switch could be a good investment for the future, but better off going the lower cost route just on the chance she doesn't stick with it.

BlackTron

Keep in mind that the game requires the tablet controller for the gyro. The Wii U Pro Controller does NOT have gyro. When I played the WiiU version, I was constantly switching back and forth between the pro controller and tablet because the former was more comfortable, but sometimes gyro is required.

I also like gyro for aiming and other optional stuff, so the Switch pro controller is way better IMO...

SpiceRacz

I'd say go with the Wii U. I wouldn't drop the money on a Switch unless you were interested in other games. $450 is really steep to play just Zelda.

Shiken

Anyone who would play on Cemu without at least purchasing the game to support it does not deserve to play it...

Get it on Switch, Botw2 is right around the corner after all and that will not be on WiiU.

GAMETA

Banned
Play it on Switch!

I played it day one on WiiU and regret it. The Switch version is just a superior experience, it just feels right.

Specially because the greatness of the game will mix with the hype of a new console.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I have it on Wii U, bought a switch to play it again and have portability and beat it on that, and have beat it on CEMU on PC. CEMU with the very easy to apply 60fps patch was absolutely the best way to experience the game.

If you can play it on PC do that, if you can't, I didn't really notice a huge difference between the Switch and Wii U version and I put dozens and dozens of hours into both versions. If you must, save the money and get the Wii U version if you can't CEMU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom