• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Pokken Pro Pad Now Works on Switch With Any Game, $10.97 on Gamestop.com

BiggNife

This has been mentioned in the Switch firmware update thread, but it's understandably getting buried due to all of the other updates and the fact that it wasn't on the official Nintendo patch update log:

With Switch firmware update 3.0.0 supporting wired controllers and Pokken DX coming out in September, the Pokken Pro Pad now works on the Switch. More importantly, unlike on the Wii U, the Pokken Pro Pad can be used with any game on the Switch.

610cHkgq8oL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Why is this significant? There's one big reason: the Pokken Pro Pad has an excellent d-pad. With the lack of a d-pad on the joycons and the disappointing d-pad on the Switch Pro pad, I figure some people would be interested in this for games like USF2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and the Neo Geo ports.

The Pikachu Limited Edition Pokken Pad is only $10.97 at Gamestop.com with $6 shipping. A fantastic deal for what you're getting. http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/acces...ad-pikachu-controller-only-at-gamestop/130472 (UPDATE: Pikachu Edition is sold out)

The regular pad is only $14.97, and should be available in a lot more stores so you can pick it up yourself if you don't want to pay for shipping. http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-pokken-tournament-pro-pad/127725

Buy one of each kind, apply coupon code SAVER for free shipping, and it comes out to $25.94 + tax.

Some notes:
  • This is a wired USB controller, so it can only be used while the switch is docked or with a USB A-to-C adapter in portable mode.
  • The pad does not have an analog stick, nor a home button, so it's not ideal for every game.
  • The only difference between the Pikachu edition and the regular edition is the colors.
  • These controllers also work well on PCs for emulators.

BiggNife

Are there any wireless options for switch with a good dpad?

Your best bet would probably be an 8bitdo controller, they all support the Switch. There's a thread about them here.

E: To be clear I haven't used an 8bitdo controller on switch yet, and another poster in this thread said the dpads sometimes have issues, so take a look through that thread before making a decision. I can tell you firsthand the Pokken dpad works perfectly on the Switch.

Time to stop waiting an pick up both versions hopefully today. Also need to pick up the Wii U game to finish my first-party collection.

Meatfist

Nice! I'm a huge fan of the 8bitdo SNES controller, but if you're willing to go wired for half the price this is an excellent option

Steiner

Banned
I'm sorry but what is this about the disappointing d-pad on the Switch Pro Controller?? I think it's a great d-pad.

Camjo-Z

I was thinking about getting this earlier but decided against it since it was only for Pokken. After this news the order has been PLACED!

Menitta

This is amazing news that's kinda useless with the exception to Neo Geo games and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I'm amazed they didn't do this on Wii U when it would've been great.

That being said, I'm now less worried about the existing GameCube adapters not working on the Switch when Smash 4 comes out.

Also this controller is one of my favorites. I highly recommend it, especially when VC is rolled out.

BiggNife

I'm sorry but what is this about the disappointing d-pad on the Switch Pro Controller?? I think it's a great d-pad.

There's an issue with some (not all) Switch Pro controllers where the d-pad registers extra inputs, making it imprecise. This happens with my controller and it's frustrating.

There's an issue with some (not all) Switch Pro controllers where the d-pad registers extra inputs, making it imprecise. This happens with my controller and it's frustrating.

Is sending it in to Nintendo a viable solution? It wouldn't justify the broken controllers or anything like that, but it would be better than just having a controller with a screwed up D-Pad.

Tansut

Would this be a good choice for Street Fighter? It's the main reason I want a good d-pad controller for the Switch.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is sending it in to Nintendo a viable solution? It wouldn't justify the broken controllers or anything like that, but it would be better than just having a controller with a screwed up D-Pad.

It worked for me but it seems like getting one that works fine back is not the norm going by the thread on this.

Nice. I already owned one Pokken controller, but I ordered two extras last week when Pokken DX was announced since they were so cheap. I'm set for life.

SeppOCE

Just placed an order to pick one up from eb games tomorrow. To any Aussies out there eb game has their big sale on ATM 23 aud for the regular pad and 28 aud for the pikachu one. Being the dipshit that I am I went with the 28 aud one. Very excited to have a viable game pad to play future classic games and fighting games with a dpad that doesn't blow. Might even grab pokken now !

Yukinari

I have two gamecube controllers id like to use but im glad the pokken controller lets me use an extra controller.
How good is this for shovel knight?

T.O.P

Banned
I wanted to get one for Pokken but then i realised that it's not wireless and since i hardly ever put the console in the dock it's kinda useless to me :(

This has been mentioned in the Switch firmware update thread, but it's understandably getting buried due to all of the other updates and the fact that it wasn't on the official Nintendo patch update log:

With Switch firmware update 3.0.0 supporting wired controllers and Pokken DX coming out in September, the Pokken Pro Pad now works on the Switch. More importantly, unlike on the Wii U, the Pokken Pro Pad can be used with any game on the Switch.

Why is this significant? There's one big reason: the Pokken Pro Pad has an excellent d-pad. With the lack of a d-pad on the joycons and the disappointing d-pad on the Switch Pro pad, I figure some people would be interested in this for games like USF2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and the Neo Geo ports.

The Pikachu Limited Edition Pokken Pad is only $10.97 at Gamestop.com with $6 shipping. A fantastic deal for what you're getting. http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/acces...ad-pikachu-controller-only-at-gamestop/130472

Additionally, the regular pad is only $14.97, and should be available in a lot more stores so you can pick it up yourself if you don't want to pay for shipping. http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-pokken-tournament-pro-pad/127725

Additionally,

Some notes:
  • This is a wired USB controller, so it can only be used while the switch is docked.
  • The pad does not have an analog stick, nor a home button, so it's not ideal for every game.
  • The only difference between the Pikachu edition and the regular edition is the colors.
  • These controllers also work well on PCs for emulators.

YESSSSSSSSS

SO FUCKING GOOD

SO FUCKING THANK YOU

SO FUCKING BOUGHT!

Eila

It's ok, I got it for my PC as I didn't even have Pokken on Wii U. Good to know it now works on Switch if I ever get one.

Giga Man

YESSSSSSSSS

SO FUCKING GOOD

SO FUCKING THANK YOU

SO FUCKING BOUGHT!

Heh. I, too, have issues playing Puyo Puyo Tetris with the Pro's d-pad. I guess I'll be getting one of these as well. Maybe two. I really wish the normal color had the same deal as the Pikachu edition. You'd think it'd be the other way around...

Top Bottom