• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Premium and Zombi U for just £199 at HMV - a saving of £139.99.

mocoworm

Lock if old:

HMV bundles Wii U Premium and Zombi U for just £199 - Save £139.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-22-hmv-bundles-wii-u-premium-and-zombi-u-for-just-199

"Struggling UK high street chain HMV is currently selling the 32GB Premium Wii U console, including Nintendo Land, plus a copy of survival horror Zombi U for £199.99.

Customers are already making use of the deal, despite it not officially starting until Monday. That's a saving of £139.99.

There has never been a cheaper price for the Wii U Premium bundle on the UK high street.

An HMV spokesperson confirmed the deal to Eurogamer this afternoon. It will be available "while stocks last in all HMV stores not earmarked for closure".

HMV claimed the deal would not go live until 25th March - this Monday - but we've already seen evidence online of customers making use of the deal.

Simply put - if you're interested in the offer, it's probably worth enquiring at HMV as soon as possible.

The move comes after an earlier price cut by Amazon, ShopTo, GamesStop and Asda. All those chains have sliced £50 from the Wii U Premium price, making it £249.99.

Nintendo has struggled to shift Wii U consoles and games ever since New Year, when the stream of new software dried up. But there's light at the end of the tunnel. Nintendo will hope that new releases Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate can revitalise sales and jump-start a new lease of life for the console."

javac

Good prices, if people want to ever pick up a Wii U in the foreseeable future, this might be the perfect opportunity. With Lego city and Monster Hunter coming out next week, and with Nintendo Land and Zombi U in the box and 30p virtual console games, could be a good buy. For the inevitable Mario Kart and 3D Mario, Smash bros. and even Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101.

Now that's an attractive price.

I'll say it now so it doesn't have to be repeated over and over, but HMV are not taking a loss on this.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shame HMV is no longer in Ireland.

Will their website offer this? Do they deliver to Ireland now?

kitsuneyo

Wow. First time I've seen it cheaper than the Amazon mis-price where I got mine.

Always thought £199 is the right price for Wii U.

qwerty2k

Great price, i don't regret my £225 Zavvi purchase of Wii Premium, think it's reasonably good value, especially now monster hunter and lego city undercover is coming out shortly.

Now that's an attractive price.

I'll say it now so it doesn't have to be repeated over and over, but HMV are not taking a loss on this.

I assume you have info on the price-to-retail of the Premium, then? Assuming price-to-retail is below £199, is it retail forcing the otherwise high price of the system? It was my understanding that NoE no longer set RRPs for their hardware but rather provide them to retail at a certain price and let retailers set their price to customers.

EDIT:

And, yes, that is an attractive price. I think it's the right price for the system to be going into the new financial year and into the holidays, especially if Nintendo can deliver more - and more timely - software to back it up.

qwerty2k

Could they not theoretically be making a loss on this just trying to clear space as no doubt they have been holding onto these consoles for quite a while without shifting them?

javac

Oh. lol :/ Ah well.

Maybe this will have knock-on effects at other retailers.

Hopefully, that would be a step in the right direction in getting sales up. Need to make sure to educate people on it too. Most prices drops for the Wii U go unnoticed apart from HUKD.

Raist

Banned
Could they not theoretically be making a loss on this just trying to clear space as no doubt they have been holding onto these consoles for quite a while without shifting them?

I really doubt they're getting a £140 cut on this normally. That would be a ridiculous profit margin.

I assume you have info on the price-to-retail of the Premium, then? Assuming price-to-retail is below £199, is it retail forcing the otherwise high price of the system? It was my understanding that NoE no longer set RRPs for their hardware but rather provide them to retail at a certain price and let retailers set their price to customers.

Why do you assume the NoE price now is the same as it was in November ?

Nibel

If it's not topped, it should at least be matched. Premium for £199 is the mark I think they need to hit.

Basic could end up £199 if they continue to support that set

You basically get a black Premium Wii U + Zombi U for just £199; there are some neat MHU deals right now which you should buy to keep yourself busy until the big titles are coming

HMV will be dead in a short span of time - this isn't just a price drop; they are trying to get rid of their stock. This won't get that cheap so fast, seriously

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
We're Rayman Legends out I'd be pretty damn tempted...

Excited we're at this point already. Bayonetta 2 and a Black WiiU is gonna be bargain of the century by the time 2014 rolls around!

javac

You basically get a black Premium Wii U + Zombi U + Pro Controller for just £199; there are some neat MHU deals right now which you should buy to keep yourself busy until the big titles are coming

HMV will be dead in a short span of time - this isn't just a price drop; they are trying to get rid of their stock. This won't get that cheap so fast, seriously

You sure this is the Zombi U bundle and not just a normal Premium console with Zombi U on top?

You basically get a black Premium Wii U + Zombi U + Pro Controller for just £199; there are some neat MHU deals right now which you should buy to keep yourself busy until the big titles are coming

I'm not expecting Wii U Premium + Pro Controller + Zombi U for £199. I'm expecting/hoping for the standard Premium w. Nintendoland for £199.

You sure this is the Zombi U bundle and not just a normal Premium console with Zombi U on top?

That's why I'm reading it as - otherwise it would be sold as one item. This is a cheap Premium w. Zombi U force-bundled, isn't it?

That deal is fucking great and I'd buy at that price even without ZombiU.

Fuck your region lock Nintendo, I want this shit.

Qassim

It is quite telling that, despite this really good deal, it still isn't at all appealing to me. I'd be buying it just because it was cheap at this point.

javac

We're Rayman Legends out I'd be pretty damn tempted...

Excited we're at this point already. Bayonetta 2 and a Black WiiU is gonna be bargain of the century by the time 2014 rolls around!

When you play Bayonetta 2 on your premium Wii U you better remember it was Iwata that made it possible! Kinda half joking :p

Bleepey

I saw some of the former gaming PCs on sale for about £325 without an OS at HMV cos it was going out of business. If it was not for the fact i was flat broke i would have bought one. I might buy 1 if they knock it further down. The specs were this
HD: WD 2TB 64MB Cache
graphics: Asus ENGTX460 1GB
CPU: intel Core i.3 3.33 Ghz
memory: 4gb Corsair DDr3 XMS
CPU heatsink +fan: thermaltake
motherboard: Gigabyte b75M-D3p
PC Case: thermaltake VM400M V9
Blackx edition
Dual Bay HDD docking station

I know it can run Crysis but is it food value for money?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
When you play Bayonetta 2 on your premium Wii U you better remember it was Iwata that made it possible! Kinda half joking :p

Hey if the fellah is busking outside of the establishment I make the purchase, I may even toss a 20p into the pot he has next to his "Will Completely Destroy Brand Momentum For Spare Change" cardboard sign.

Nibel

It is quite telling that, despite this really good deal, it still isn't at all appealing to me. I'd be buying it just because it was cheap at this point.

Not to start a shitstorm here, but at this point buying this console at this insane price is more of an investment in the future; even the biggest naysayer knows that the games are coming for the system, Iwata already ensured that the biggest franchises are getting new entries like 3D Mario, Kart, Smash etc. + you got games like Pikmin 3 and W101 that are probably finished at this point + games like X and that FE/SMT thingy + Zelda U, Bayonetta 2 and whatever they have up their sleeves right now

Plus the big update that improves the OS perfomance is coming out next month and will hopefully deliver; most of the problems we had at launch are gone

Seriously: if you are even slightly interested in Wii U and live in the UK, then you should reconsider buying this

javac

Hey if the fellah is busking outside of the establishment I make the purchase, I may even toss a 20p into the pot he has next to his "Will Completely Destroy Brand Momentum For Spare Change" cardboard sign.

Common, throw in a quid ya cheap arse gaffer! lol joke.

Pie and Beans

Not to start a shitstorm here, but at this point buying this console at this insane price is more of an investment in the future; even the biggest naysayer knows that the games are coming for the system, Iwata already ensured that the biggest franchises are getting new entries like 3D Mario, Kart, Smash etc. + you got games like Pikmin 3 and W101 that are probably finished at this point + games like X and that FE/SMT thingy + Zelda U, Bayonetta 2 and whatever they have up their sleeves right now

Plus the big update that improves the OS perfomance is coming out next month and will hopefully deliver; most of the problems we had at launch are gone

Seriously: if you are even slightly interested in Wii U and live in the UK, then you should reconsider buying this

There is always lower. When an official price drop hits £199, a pre-owned becomes £150, and so on. WE CAN GO CHEAPER, LEONARDO.

javac

That's a good enough reason for me.

Yeah, I mean even in the worse case scenario ya throw it in the drawer, when the games come you'd be able to pull the bugger out knowing you got the thing cheap as chips and you can play some awesome games like Bayo 2, The Wonderful 101 and Mario Kart etc. I get the feeling a lot of you might actually come to like it however.

Have you ever played on a Wii U mind?

Nibel

There is always lower. When an official price drop hits £199, a pre-owned becomes £150, and so on. WE CAN GO CHEAPER, LEONARDO.

I can't see a £199 price drop happening for the Deluxe, but if this happens I'll be shocked and glad; would mean a loss for them, but the system would finally sell to most fence-sitters - the software is coming and everybody knows it

javac

I can't see a £199 price drop happening for the Deluxe, but if this happens I'll be shocked and glad; would mean a loss for them, but the system would finally sell to most fence-sitters - the software is coming and everybody knows it

Yup, the games are coming, and having this for a cheap price is perfect. Different story if there wasn't anything coming up.

Top Bottom