• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Receives Its First System Firmware Update Since 2018

LordOfChaos

Ver. 5.5.5 U (March 1st, 2021)​

Improvements to system stability and usability
Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Be a nice gesture if the final Wii U update removed needing the gamepad for basic OS functions that could have been done on any controller, but any development beyond the SSL patches that this seems to be seem unlikely for it.

Does not seem to impact homebrew. They don't seem to care at all about that, which is alright.

They should have at least, removed Miiverse from Wii U and 3DS, years ago.
Be a nice gesture if the final Wii U update removed needing the gamepad for basic OS functions that could have been done on any controller, but any development beyond the SSL patches that this seems to be seem unlikely for it.
I never modded mine, but remember looking it up, if moding could remove the controller reliance from stuff like accessing and controlling the damn settings.

o9fu7dg68ny01.jpg

That's what I see before the start screen everytime I boot Xenoblade Chronicles X, and then have to proceed getting up and pressing A on the damn tablet controller. I've seen class action lawsuits for less.

Last edited:
Oh that's super annoying, I keep hitting the button in Wind Waker HD and it takes a few seconds to get back
Not to mention the removed functionality. Wind Waker HD felt so alive back then with all the bottles, I can understand making miiverse a read only thing, but not taking it offline so soon.

I sure hope fans re-implement that functionality one day, as Wii U isn't the same without it.

It's part of why I despise the online reliance of things. Off the top of my head, Doom Eternal login screen annoyed me particularly (reminded me of the aforementioned error, albeit it's a login screen that doesn't let you go further unless you register), if having the console offline didn't solve it and I still had to have a bethesda account I think I wouldn't even have insisted on playing it. And I loved Doom 2016.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

reminds me of

Not to mention the removed functionality. Wind Waker HD felt so alive back then with all the bottles.

It's part of why I despise the online reliance of things. Off the top of my head, Doom Eternal login screen annoyed me particularly, if having the console offline didn't solve it and I still had to have a bethesda account I think I wouldn't even have insisted on playing it. And I loved Doom 2016.

There's two projects that merged to restore it, right? I want to experience the guy who said the water looked good in every game first hand!

There's two projects that merged to restore it, right? I want to experience the guy who said the water looked good in every game first hand!
I'm not up to date with that, I remember there being a project but being dormant.

I hope they manage to do it, but the more time that passes the less likely I think it'll happen and still be relevant.

Nintendo leaks sure could have included Miiverse for all I care about them, if making this possible was easier that way :messenger_ogre:

EDIT: This is amazing:

-> https://archiverse.guide/

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, the Miiverse being gone is such a shame. I think it was hands down the coolest social media type thing on any home console. I only got to experience it the first year of the WiiU's life. When I bought a 2nd WiiU it had long been shut down.

I say it alot but the WiiU is/was a fantastic system. Software library was limited but it has some absolute gems and the gamepad is so damn comfortable. Currently playing Twilight Princess HD and just comfy as hell when I play it in bed. Love the WiiU.

Soodanim

My Wii U hasn't had access to online in a long time now, so I'm not bothered by any updates.

I wonder if they snuck in some anti-CFW stuff while they were at it.

LordOfChaos

My Wii U hasn't had access to online in a long time now, so I'm not bothered by any updates.

It hasn't seemed to touch any homebrew stuff. I think it may just be SSL certificate updates.

Stability chicken gif.

Anyway, its absolutely crazy. An update for a (beautiful) console already 4 Years dead . That'so Nintendo

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ah finally the Breath of the Wild Gamepad update we have all been waiting for !
Funny story about that. I didn't follow the BOTW development at all. I bought my wife a Switch for her birthday last year and I've always wanted to get another WiiU, sold my launch console roughly a year into it's life. I decided against getting BOTW on the Switch cause I didn't want to steal the Switch from my wife, I decided I'd just get another WiiU and BOTW, because surely having the map and inventory off screen would be superior......I had no idea that Nintendo removed that feature. I wasn't surprised but it's so dumb that Nintendo nerfed the WiiU version. The Sheika Slate is the WiiU gamepad. It makes so much more sense to have the Memory photo on the gamepad for quick reference as you're looking for it. What sense does it make to navigate a menu, find the photo and then close out of it. I wasn't super pissed but it's typical Nintendo.

Last edited:

cireza

Funny story about that. I didn't follow the BOTW development at all. I bought my wife a Switch for her birthday last year and I've always wanted to get another WiiU, sold my launch console roughly a year into it's life. I decided against getting BOTW on the Switch cause I didn't want to steal the Switch from my wife, I decided I'd just get another WiiU and BOTW, because surely having the map and inventory off screen would be superior......I had no idea that Nintendo removed that feature. I wasn't surprised but it's so dumb that Nintendo nerfed the WiiU version. The Sheika Slate is the WiiU gamepad. It makes so much more sense to have the Memory photo on the gamepad for quick reference as you're looking for it. What sense does it make to navigate a menu, find the photo and then close out of it. I wasn't super pissed but it's typical Nintendo.
Everything about this game was a disappointment for me anyway.

LordOfChaos

100 hours in I still fumble on what subsections are on the + or - menus. Would be so much easier if they left the map and inventory management on there.

There's so much about this interview that didn't pan out. "So it's launching next year for sure, right?" "Horses don't run into trees" "So this must be a dungeon", the gamepad features...And I don't think even the Switch version had graphics as good as it seems offscreen on that TV

I swear these two men were trying to sandbag each other, Miyamoto's questions were all a bit awkward considering what BoTW launched as, then Anouma was like "What about Star Fox?", lol

fart town usa

Gold Member
Everything about this game was a disappointment for me anyway.
I can see that. I wasn't too keen on it at first. Got really bored probably 30 hours in, lol. Went and played all of WW HD, 3/4 of OOT, and a bit of ALTTP. Went back to BOTW after being away for probably 2 months. Still wasn't feeling it but stuck with it. Around the 40 hour mark is when the game clicked, by that time I had the Master Sword and increased stamina, tons of weapons, etc. Once I was in tank mode I absolutely loved the game and it gave me a great sense of accomplishment when I did eventually beat it. I totally get why people may not like it though, it requires dozens of hours to actually feel good, something that most people don't have time for.

LordOfChaos

I can see that. I wasn't too keen on it at first. Got really bored probably 30 hours in, lol. Went and played all of WW HD, 3/4 of OOT, and a bit of ALTTP. Went back to BOTW after being away for probably 2 months. Still wasn't feeling it but stuck with it. Around the 40 hour mark is when the game clicked, by that time I had the Master Sword and increased stamina, tons of weapons, etc. Once I was in tank mode I absolutely loved the game and it gave me a great sense of accomplishment when I did eventually beat it. I totally get why people may not like it though, it requires dozens of hours to actually feel good, something that most people don't have time for.

I had the exact same experience. The main story I completed in 40 hours, and it was just ok, much of it was frustrating when you were underpowered/lacked stamina. The climbing was boring and slow and so was the dialogue.

But it clicked more when I started playing the two DLCs during lockdown, I think both having nothing to do and just playing the game to explore the game rather than finish something, and having all the powers and upgrades (i.e just Gale jump up any mountain a few times instead of tedious climbing, and the master sword not breaking taking most of my weapon abuse) really helped, and now I'm over 110 hours in for someone who thought the main campaign was frustrating and meh, and I beat everything like Monk Maz Koshia by now and every major challenge by now.

I hope the second one doesn't restart us at zero stamina again, it would make no sense for one, but also it's just a frustrating kneecap that forces you to slow down in the early game, now that we know the game it's not needed. And have more dialogue and story. I thought Immortals was just going to be a derivative clone, but having an engaging narrator and verbal story is really refreshing after the starkness of BoTW too.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I had the exact same experience. The main story I completed in 40 hours, and it was just ok, much of it was frustrating when you were underpowered/lacked stamina. The climbing was boring and slow and so was the dialogue.

But it clicked more when I started playing the two DLCs during lockdown, I think both having nothing to do and just playing the game to explore the game rather than finish something, and having all the powers and upgrades (i.e just Gale jump up any mountain a few times instead of tedious climbing, and the master sword not breaking taking most of my weapon abuse) really helped, and now I'm over 110 hours in for someone who thought the main campaign was frustrating and meh, and I beat everything like Monk Maz Koshia by now and every major challenge by now.

I hope the second one doesn't restart us at zero stamina again, it would make no sense for one, but also it's just a frustrating kneecap that forces you to slow down in the early game, now that we know the game it's not needed. And have more dialogue and story. I thought Immortals was just going to be a derivative clone, but having an engaging narrator and verbal story is really refreshing after the starkness of BoTW too.
Thanks for reminding me of the DLC, I need to get them off the WiiU Eshop before they close it down.

That's what I see before the start screen everytime I boot Xenoblade Chronicles X, and then have to proceed getting up and pressing A on the damn tablet controller. I've seen class action lawsuits for less.
I recall not buying a Wii U when I learned that you needed the stupid tablet to control much of the OS, like you needed motion controls for the Wii OS.

I'm still waiting for a switch that comes with the normal controller too.

Quasicat

does pikmin 3 still work?
For me, the Wii U version is the definitive version since I use the stylus controls on it. Regular controls are OK, but I can blast through that game with no Pikmin loss because of the precise controls of the touch screen.
The Switch demo killed that game for me really quick because of the controls.

ReBurn

Gold Member
For me, the Wii U version is the definitive version since I use the stylus controls on it. Regular controls are OK, but I can blast through that game with no Pikmin loss because of the precise controls of the touch screen.
The Switch demo killed that game for me really quick because of the controls.
I have a friend who sppedruns Pikmin 3 on Wii U and she complains bitterly about the Switch version. The game was made for Wii U and it lost something in the move to Switch.

I’m sure they would love to. It’s either mandatory updates to allow the consoles to continue functioning online, or some kind of anti piracy measure. That’s literally all Nintendo cares about at this point in regards to the Wii-U.

I think the game was using too many resources to do the game pad. It’s obviously doing something different to other games when you press the home button.

jigglet

Banned
I can't help but think this isn't really about improving the system, but laying the groundwork to depreciate even more services and features.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I can't help but think this isn't really about improving the system, but laying the groundwork to depreciate even more services and features.
What are you talking about? The only non working service is MiiVerse, everything else continues to work until the eventuality of software working past what the Wii U can do. I doubt many people are using a Wii u for Youtube or Netflix to begin with.

The way they treated Wii U owners is one of the reasons I never got a Switch yet.

Same. Used to be a huge Ninty fan, then I bought the deluxe edition WiiU day one, had nothing to play but AssCreed 3 until Wind Waker HD came out. The WiiU had the most droughts of any Nintendo system, unless you really love 2.5 games I guess.

In the end the only new games (that weren’t ports/VC/HD) that made it worth it for me were Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and BotW. After busting it back out (after it was in storage for a while) to finally play BotW, I also hacked it to play GC games.

Would’ve gotten a Switch if it had some sort of backwards compatible Virtual Console I could’ve transferred all my VC games to, but no. Instead if you want WiiU games on Switch you have to pay full price again. Fuck that.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Same. Used to be a huge Ninty fan, then I bought the deluxe edition WiiU day one, had nothing to play but AssCreed 3 until Wind Waker HD came out. The WiiU had the most droughts of any Nintendo system, unless you really love 2.5 games I guess.

In the end the only new games (that weren’t ports/VC/HD) that made it worth it for me were Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, and BotW. After busting it back out (after it was in storage for a while) to finally play BotW, I also hacked it to play GC games.

Would’ve gotten a Switch if it had some sort of backwards compatible Virtual Console I could’ve transferred all my VC games to, but no. Instead if you want WiiU games on Switch you have to pay full price again. Fuck that.

I bought it just for BOTW in 2015 which burned me because it got delayed so many times and then it lost features just to release on the Switch as well. Yes I know I shouldnt have bought it in advance like that.

I actually play my WiiU every weekend now with my son who is 5 we play Mario 3D, Yoshi, Paper Mario Color Splash, Mario Kart, Splatoon etc. Tons of great games but the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I promised I wouldn't buy a Switch until BOTW2 is on the shelves and I stayed strong so far, hopefully Switch 2 or Switch Pro will launch with it at that time.

Last edited:
Can I use button remapping on my official split pad pro controller now? You know the official stamped with nintendo name product? The one that some reason does NOT have button remapping.
EDIT-- I just now realized this said Wii-U and not the Switch. I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom