• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Retail Games Arriving Early

Banned
Anybody getting Wii U games in the mail? I got Madden 13 in the mail just now. I took pictures!
368cfc847ed9e60b7ff7d114a8b692d6.jpg

b7573dc0555b9d394f594eb9ba1e947a.jpg

0a3114c567d32bd46b6bf9bb1251c2a2.jpg

66302f6f60e1e1167e5bcf1e615d32ab.jpg

67897fb3a1078097f744eeb4bf876922.jpg

185342f4b27e6c57f465211add8e59e3.jpg

7180e665dac98a9a0a6d5bfc3eeab0e3.jpg

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think they're supposed to come out tomorrow in order to be part of the regular Tuesday schedule. Looks like you got yours a day early.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Talk about a terrible in-game shot for EA to use on the back of the box. Wow that's awful.

Drago

So, yeah, guess they really are leaving all the resolution/save/player etc. data off the back of the box. What the hell, NoA.

I like the spine though. And the boxes themselves are a tad smaller than the Wii ones, weird

For comparison
OgfuZ.jpg

Eusis

Ew. Hate the recycled cases full of holes
Ditto, especially with how that recycle image comes off as kinda pretentious: you can't actually go and recycle those, it's more about using less plastic then something that can be broken down and reused as we'd normally think of recycling. Hopefully they switch to thinner plastic there, or even eventually abandon though that'd probably require almost the rest of the entertainment industry turning its back on those for whatever reason. Really should be kept for $5 DVDs, not $60 games.
So, yeah, guess they really are leaving all the resolution/save/player etc. data off the back of the box. What the hell, NoA.

For comparison
OgfuZ.jpg
Resolution is useless, and player data's there, just look at the number on the Wii Remote. They definitely should put the amount of space required however, especially if games start wanting to make installs.

Not really news, we've known for awhile that many games were set to be out before the system launches on Sunday. They don't even make good paper weights till then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So you need an origin account to access online features, but you need to be 13+ to have an origins account - but the game is rated E. how does that work? Other than just outright lying about your age (but then I think on ps3 is checks your age against the PSN account)

OT though I guess.

So you need an origin account to access online features, but you need to be 13+ to have an origins account - but the game is rated E. how does that work? Other than just outright lying about your age (but then I think on ps3 is checks your age against the PSN account)

OT though I guess.

"Online Interactions not rated by the ESRB"

Talk about a terrible in-game shot for EA to use on the back of the box. Wow that's awful.

Hey, they have to have something they can improve in future iterations.

Side point: I think it's interesting Nintendo went with a design that echoes the GameCube boxes. The colors are debatable, but I think the orientation is an improvement.

Banned
Is the disc surface blueish and scratch resistant akin to BRD? Looks like it from the picture.
I took that picture to see if blue light would reflect off of it. It seems to me that the disc is blu-ray like (blu laser)
Nicely taken pics, OP.
Thank you
Spine design looks nice!
My thoughts exactly. Most websites were not showing pics of the spine.
Is it my eyes, or is that case smaller than the Wii case?
It is smaller by like a mm in length. But the plastic is thinner than the Wii case as well.
The Nintendo Network feature on the back of the box is difficult to read, can you tell us what it says?
Online head-to-head

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Gamefly just shipped my Madden 13 WiiU rental. Seems like a great title to play during turkey week.

Banned
Where did you order from OP?
Origin client when they had that $20 off promotion. I bought some game for cheap and used the $20 towards the preorder.
Love how they've carried over those little square icons on the spine from the 3DS boxes.
Me too! Consistent with 3DS.
What does the manual say about online?
No manual, it's a health and safety sleeve saying the manual is on their website or will most likely be digital like the Vita.

Eusis

Stl bloody horrible though.
And I tend to think of whether the savings really are worth it. Cart based games, it's not a big deal and youd can make good use of the 3DS holes for the design (too bad NoA doesn't give a shit, tries it once with Kid Icarus then abandons it again), but with discs? ESPECIALLY in this way? It's like the packaging equivalent of chainmail bikinis, except penny pinching instead of fan service.

Tend to think if you want to save on plastic you're far better off just making the cases as thin as you can while still being strong, and focus more on getting rid of stuff like unnecessary packaging materials for consoles, and on a society level ditching stuff like plastic bags. Basically focus on the stuff that's MEANT to be thrown out first.

Glass Joe

Love how they've carried over those little square icons on the spine from the 3DS boxes.

I like that too. Nice little touch. The little squares on the 3DS spines mirror the icons used to launch the game, so I'm sure U will be the same way.

And I tend to think of whether the savings really are worth it. Cart based games, it's not a big deal and youd can make good use of the 3DS holes for the design (too bad NoA doesn't give a shit, tries it once with Kid Icarus then abandons it again), but with discs? ESPECIALLY in this way? It's like the packaging equivalent of chainmail bikinis, except penny pinching instead of fan service.

I don't think it has really anything to do with penny pinching. Just more about not wasting materials and hurting the environment.

Eusis

I don't think it has really anything to do with penny pinching. Just more about not wasting materials and hurting the environment.
They don't do this in other countries, and Walmart IS partially a factor. Well, and the size of the US: shipping over a small area like Japan or much of Europe really isn't a worthwhile savings, but it adds up here. Technically it's not even penny pinching, they actually may be saving several thousands or millions by using packaging like this. But like said I think we'd be better off focusing first on what will be disposed: fewer boxes of plastic bags for example probably WOULD help a lot there, and it's those you're going to be seeing on the side of the road or being blown around by the wind, not a disc case.

And like said, these are $60 games. A pricey luxury item, not a $5 DVD I'm getting to watch that weekend or because it's a big movie I'd been meaning to see for years. I'd hope they can afford at least that little when I'm paying that much.

Just got my Gamestop automated call for Assassins Creed 3 tommorrow

I haven't D: When I asked they said "Not to my knowledge, I believe they are all out the 18th"

EDIT: Just called and she was like " WHATTT!!?? Okay so it does release tomorrow, but we don't have them yet"

Banned
The disc is thicker too or something. The edges are well rounded, when I grab it it just feels...different lol. Also, this is such a tease because I have to wait 6 days to play it :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The disc is thicker too or something. The does are well rounded, when I grab it it just feels...different lol. Also, this is such a tease because I have to wait 6 days to play it :(

ycPuV.jpg

Medalion

Banned
The disc is thicker too or something. The edges are well rounded, when I grab it it just feels...different lol. Also, this is such a tease because I have to wait 6 days to play it :(

Ironically, there is a thread about this posted just now

This disc is about the same capacity as a single layer blu-ray, with rounded edges

Top Bottom