• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U seemingly has OS level screenshot tools for all games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh-so-briefly discussed in this thread, and detailed in the Iwata Asks: Miiverse - The Developers article, it would appear Nintendo has properly confirmed that the Wii U has a universal OS level screenshotting tool.

I'm making this thread because I'm betting a lot of people don't really know about it. So far we've seen Nintendo show the image attachment icon for Miiverse chat messages, but the Wii also had image attachment, as does PSN messaging. If anybody is like me, then they would be unsure if this indicated a universal screenshot tool, or simply provide an attachment option for game-specific screenshotting. Again, like Wii and PlayStation 3 games.

Going by the following quote from the aforementioned Iwata Asks, the Wii U does indeed have OS level screenshotting:

Kurisu: I want people to try Miiverse just by itself, and also try posting to Miiverse from games. If you spot a cool scene, you can post a screenshot by pressing the HOME Button. I truly hope people will actively participate in the communities tied to particular games.

Iwata: After you press the HOME Button, you can go from the HOME Button Menu to Miiverse. The game screen that was displayed at the time will be saved as a screenshot that you can post, right?

Kurisu: Yes. There's a spoiler button, too. We've designed it so that people who don't want to see spoilers won't have to.

Iwata: There's also a way to report something that you feel is a spoiler so it should be hidden.

Kurisu: Yeah. I hope people will make use of such features and enjoy aspects of Miiverse that connect to the games.

For some who expected this based on the previous Miiverse images, this thread might seem pointless. But I personally think Nintendo's communication of features is dreadful, and believe this is the first time they've outright confirmed OS level screenshotting for games.

And because I think that's cool; thread.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sounds like a nice feature for Miiverse.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Good feature that should be standard. I'm sure they'll muck it up by it being low res and not exportable.

Mardak

I wonder how many past screenshots it'll save. From one of the videos, there seemed to be at least 2 screenshots to choose from when picking an attachment. The 3ds has a similar screenshot functionality when pressing Home as well.

Zero148

so Miiverse basically gives players the opportunity for personalized archievements. You made some cool shit in a game, make a screenshot and post it on Miiverse.

Is there a log for all Miiverse posts someone made? If yes, that could be very awesome

YES!!!

This is one fucking amazing tool, I'm gonna use this like crazy, so many times I wish I could do that on Wii and such; cool moments that happened on accident or so epic you just wish you can snap it to view again and again.

Props to Sony for implementing this on the Vita, shame Nintendo didn't for the 3DS (snap and the photos go to the camera app, why didn't they? :( ), but better late than never. :)

Sirius

Quite a nifty feature indeed - not something that would sell units, yet definitely something worth mentioning alongside the social aspect.

Oh-so-briefly discussed in this thread, and detailed in the Iwata Asks: Miiverse - The Developers article, it would appear Nintendo has properly confirmed that the Wii U has a universal OS level screenshotting tool.

I'm making this thread because I'm betting a lot of people don't really know about it. So far we've seen Nintendo show the image attachment icon for Miiverse chat messages, but the Wii also had image attachment, as does PSN messaging. If anybody is like me, then they would be unsure if this indicated a universal screenshot tool, or simply provide an attachment option for game-specific screenshotting. Again, like Wii and PlayStation 3 games.

Going by the following quote from the aforementioned Iwata Asks, the Wii U does indeed have OS level screenshotting:

For some who expected this based on the previous Miiverse images, this thread might seem pointless. But I personally think Nintendo's communication of features is dreadful, and believe this is the first time they've outright confirmed OS level screenshotting for games.

And because I think that's cool; thread.

Thanks for digging that out^^ Didn't have time to search for it myself. I'm currently cleaning up my apartment for tomorrows party, so I'm just driveby posting here.
So my plan to document my ZombiU playthrough should be possible.

That's awesome. Is Miiverse accessible via direct-links on the web? As in, can we link directly to our screenshots within posts here?

One of the features I've been hoping to see in next gen consoles is the ability to in-system record chunks of gameplay and upload to a cloud service. I have a feeling I wont get that.

Make it transferrable to memory in a PC-readable format or postable on social networks, and it's a killer feature every console should have. If it's limited to miiverse, meh.

Tenki

Best feature ever. Now we have to know how to transfer them to a PC, because the Internet browser doesn't allow uploading, doesn't it?

Best feature ever. Now we have to know how to transfer them to a PC, because the Internet browser doesn't allow uploading, doesn't it?

Miiverse will be accessible from PCs and smart devices down the line. Wouldn't that imply you'll be able to get at the screenshots?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
And the thing that actually makes this important is that it's Miiverse-integrated. So for those who are crushed by not being able to share achievements (since they don't exist), consider that this allows you to share anything you ever do, even if it's something that never would've been in an achievement list, via screenshots. Hit the home button, go to Miiverse, the game you suspended has its current screen sitting right there waiting to be shared. Pair a comment with it, post it up, and all of your followers will be able to see it, like it, and comment on it.

(This has been confirmed for a very long time, by the way.)

Effect

It really does seem like Nintendo is serious about making the Miiverse a place to interact with other people without actually having to venture off into outside forums. Nice. :)

Shurayuki

Crazy that it's not done day 1, along with the smartphone app they apparently are developing.

Are we still thinking there will be an app? Nintendo never said that right? More like, these things (Miiverse,, shop) will get regular we HTML counterparts and thus be usable by any device that sports internet?
Far more likely than a Nintendo app innit?

I would not be surprised if access to it is figured out quickly, given the supposedly browser-based interface.

Right that's very possible, people figured out pretty impressive stuff on the 3DS, even though they might still be unusable like the 3DS' videos...Shouldn't be a problem with pictures though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My only concern is compression. Attaching images to Swap Note messages butchers them, and Wii game screenshotting tools from Nintendo were utter shit. Given these messages, posted on Miiverse, will probably need to reside on Nintendo servers for public access, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprise for 'image size optimisation' to result in poor IQ. Please prove me wrong Nintendo, as clean screenshots would be amazing.

On the subject of content transferring, this I think will probably be possible. Not just because of Nintendo's goal to access Miiverse via smartphones and PC, but also because the 3DS is actually pretty good in this area. You can move images via SD cards back and forth between PC and 3DS and view them on either. This includes basic stills caught by the camera, and 3D images. I've got 3D images from PC games captured and saved in the right format that I can view on my 3DS in 3D.

The only reason I could see them being non-transferable would be content protection. Like stopping people taking an inappropriate image from their PC, saving it in the NSMBU directory on their SD card, then uploading it to Miiverse. This could also be solved with encryption, but that also prevents image transfer.

Either that or you can't save images directly to the Wii U, and instead must always "upload" your snaps. Pause, take shot, upload directly to Miiverse every time.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Its a shame more PS3 games didnt have this feature, but then theres tons of stuff in there devs never use like the record youtube video function. Hopefully all nextgen consoles will have this stuff as standard since they can have it in place and locked into the OS footprint with no willy nilly to get in the way of it being operated.

It's sad to read things like this.

Some Olympic grade mental gymnastics been on show in the last 24 hours. Really takes the edge off a cool feature announcement when you read weird stuff like that.

wsippel

Banned
Crazy that it's not done day 1, along with the smartphone app they apparently are developing.
There's nothing crazy about this. Development resources are limited and the number one priority is obviously Miiverse on the system itself. Once that's up and running and stable, the team can turn to less important features.

Top Bottom