• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
I'm not expected a weak console. I'm just not hedging my bets on a super powerful one.

Don't get me wrong. I've already put money aside for WiiU this year. I would love it to be a decent halfway house between PS360 and PS720 but I'm trying not to raise my hopes up too high until I see more definitive information.

All this Frostbite 2 engine running smooth talk is just that. The information seems to point out that it might be running a bit better then current gen on the version of devkit that they have and that later devkits might be more powerful. That's not a lot to go on.

Right, see this is a lot more where I agree the vast majority of gaffers should be, but you are forgetting that the best information we have of the x720 is that it is based on an HD6670 GPU, which is not a gaming GPU, it will be a custom chip, but it's rumored to be 6 times as powerful, not 10x+ that everyone was expecting 3 months ago, that means a great deal to the landscape of next gen, Wii U is going to be a console that performs right along side the x720, even if it's half as powerful, thanks to diminishing returns, that difference in power will be harder to notice than xbox and gamecube were. The game could look virtually identical at 720p if xbox720 targets a 1080p spec, which I would imagine a lot of multiplatform devs doing if that were the case.

I agree, "better textures" means more memory, which is good of course, but it doesn't confirm higher performance.
Isn't that just another string of hopeful assumptions, that a)the devkit was outdated and b)later devkits (and final hardware) would be more powerful?

a.) Arkam said that it wasn't the newest dev kit and that he hadn't seen the newest, also his account was second hand, he does work for a company with the dev kit, but he said he doesn't work directly with it.

b.) The best reports we have is that devs were pleasantly surprised by the bump in power of current dev kits, this was a little over a month ago, and we know that a "final" dev kit was seen around this time, but is believed to be v6 and not the v5 that appeared to be what devs were talking about in the performance increase.

Keep it up guys, only like 150 or so posts to go :p

antonz

I agree, "better textures" means more memory, which is good of course, but it doesn't confirm higher performance.
Isn't that just another string of hopeful assumptions, that a)the devkit was outdated and b)later devkits (and final hardware) would be more powerful?

Arkam admitted the dev kit he was speaking of was an older one. We know from other devs that the kits have undergone many changes and at one point Nintendo was fielding 2 kits at once with different specs for experimenting with.

I believe it was Vigil as well who at one point mentioned the fact they were having issues at one point due to the constant changes in dev kits which we know early on the kits were changing rapidly.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wii U is going to be a console that performs right along side the x720, even if it's half as powerful, thanks to diminishing returns<etc...>

I really hope that is the case. I tend to game at 720P anyway (that's my projectors native resolution) so that that would be more then fine for me. The difference between running a game at 60fps vs 30fps wouldn't bother me and I'm sure they could scale back assets if need be.

My fingers are crossed that Nintendo do us proud. If the final kit turns out to be reasonably powerful then I might achieve a one console + PC future.

Wii U will be fine. As long as the shaders are there and the engines can scale down enough to run, it'll be fine. I see no reason for this to not happen.

Plus I'm still expecting the next XBox and Playstation to considerably underwhelm game media people and game forum goers. Jeff Gerstmann at Giant Bomb still expects a "standard" (whatever that means) generational leap, for example. I doubt this very much.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Please elaborate...

Because, if my memory serves me right, this is the track record:

NES was more powerful than the Master System
SNES was more powerful than the Genesis/Mega Drive
N64 was way more powerful than PSX/Saturn
Gamecube was more powerful than PS2, nearly on par with Xbox
Wii was (by far, i´ll give you that) the weakest compared to 360/PS2

Are you assuming, because they didnt go the "more power" route for ONE out of 5 generations, that they won´t build a powerful box?

I've had all of those consoles. My concern is that Nintendo decided (for the right business reasons) to pull out of the hardware wars. I'm not sure to what extent they are committed to jump back in.

They could release WiiU with the same power as PS360 and it would still sell millions and make a ton of cash. It would still have Mario games and Call of Duty to satisfy most users. It would still look good. So why would Ninty go any higher?

Jackano

Please elaborate...

Because, if my memory serves me right, this is the track record:

NES was more powerful than the Master System
SNES was more powerful than the Genesis/Mega Drive
N64 was way more powerful than PSX/Saturn
Gamecube was more powerful than PS2, nearly on par with Xbox
Wii was (by far, i´ll give you that) the weakest compared to 360/PS2

Are you assuming, because they didnt go the "more power" route for ONE out of 5 generations, that they won´t build a powerful box?

And were only talking consoles here. Handheld is a diffrent story!

I don't know about your list, I think generally, people says Sega 8/16bits hardwares were more powerfull than Nintendo ones.
IMO, the point we need to never forget, is that the most powerfull hardware never wins. Probably because of the release price for starting.

Now, the most interesting thing I read in this thread for a while, is Microsoft next console power. I think the smartest move for Microsoft is to place their hardware a little above Wii U. That way, the future installed base for Wii U+Xbox720 will be unstoppable and the primary objective for 3rd parties. If so, sony will be in great trouble, impossible for them to capitalize on the presumably extra horsepower of the ps4, or if they do likewise Microsoft, presumably late to the party.

z0m3le

Banned
Wii U will be fine. As long as the shaders are there and the engines can scale down enough to run, it'll be fine. I see no reason for this to not happen.

Plus I'm still expecting the next XBox and Playstation to considerably underwhelm game media people and game forum goers. Jeff Gerstmann at Giant Bomb still expects a "standard" (whatever that means) generational leap, for example. I doubt this very much.

Yeah, pretty much this... I can see PS4 going "~x8" (roughly 6870) in 2014, but unless they are insane and pull another PS3, that will be the absolute ceiling next gen, and likely won't see a lick of difference between x720 and ps4 games even if a 25% increase of performance exists.

But the main thing to remember guys, is that with modern hardware, you can make something that looks like that Zelda tech demo, or the Bird tech demo, something like UC3 or even Gears3... Games will look great next gen, and have that masterful lighting, but most importantly, we will also gain larger games, bigger worlds with more content, because developers will bring their current engines forward, less dev time spent on eye candy, and more spent on game play hours.

I don't know about you, but I own a 360/PS3 and it's very hard to find games that can't be beaten inside 10 hours on those consoles, we need to give developers a chance to bring back those much longer games that we see on Wii, and past generation console.

I've had all of those consoles. My concern is that Nintendo decided (for the right business reasons) to pull out of the hardware wars. I'm not sure to what extent they are committed to jump back in.

They could release WiiU with the same power as PS360 and it would still sell millions and make a ton of cash. It would still have Mario games and Call of Duty to satisfy most users. It would still look good. So why would Ninty go any higher?

For the 1 year that Wii U will be out before x720 and PS4, they have a chance to win back a LOT of hard core gamers that they lost this gen, that is the reason they are really pushing for a Wii U at all. They want those ~10m cod sale numbers on their console, they want that extra 50m users to buy Wii U, in order to pull over hard core users, they will need about 3x the performance of the 360, that however is the baseline, you customize a chip, shrink it and can push the rumored 5x performance from it, that is indeed where Wii U should target, but even at 3x there is absolutely a powerful console there, especially if we see 1.5gb ram or more which was easily the biggest thing holding 360/ps3 back.

I don't know about your list, I think generally, people says Sega 8/16bits hardwares were more powerfull than Nintendo ones.
IMO, the point we need to never forget, is that the most powerfull hardware never wins. Probably because of the release price for starting.

Actually from a mathematical perspective Nintendo's consoles pushed more pixels, they were the stronger boxes of their gen, and Sony's audio hardware in the SNES made it very clear that it could do stuff that Genesis simply could not.

Now, the most interesting thing I read in this thread for a while, is Microsoft next console power. I think the smartest move for Microsoft is to place their hardware a little above Wii U. That way, the future installed base for Wii U+Xbox720 will be unstoppable and the primary objective for 3rd parties. If so, sony will be in great trouble, impossible for them to capitalize on the presumably extra horsepower of the ps4, or if they do likewise Microsoft, presumably late to the party.

Yeah, This is the most important and most overlooked thing about next gen. Microsoft doesn't fear Nintendo, they both have very different agendas, so Microsoft targeting a box that is competitive with Wii U, but stronger, is the most logical step, because there is absolutely nothing that PS4 will do from a media perspective, that X720 couldn't. The living room is microsoft's goal, not simply to sell games to customers, but to sell their services.

The main problem is that people really belive that the xbox 720 will be insanely powerful, creating a huge gap between wii-u and the 720.

I dont see that happening. Microsoft wants to push Kinect, so its most likely built into the Konsole or its getting shipped with it from day 1. That aint cheap. If the next rumor, concerning the tablet controller is true aswell, then i dont know how they could afford to make an insanely powerful console this time.

I dont think there will be 2 skus either because they would want every console to have those 2 extras. If you make 2 skus, you have to sell games with "requires Kinet" and/or "requires tablet controller" or even both on it...

Another factor is development cost of games will EXPLODE once again if the hardware is insanely powerful. Do you really want the game prices to reach new heights? i dont!

One console SKU... with Kinect maybe even with tablet controler. slightly more powerful than the wii-u. Thats my prediction for the Xbox 720.

Nibel

If anyone has tried to understand Nintendo's philosophy, he will come to the conclusion that more hardware power isn't important to create classics. Nice graphics are just a bonus for them; the game itself and the fun it offers - this is what the "new" Nintendo is about. I know this sounds stupid, but most people - or gamer - don't get Nintendo.

If you love cutting edge graphics, then I think you would make a huge mistake buying the Wii U.

It is such a shame what the industry, gamers and journalists have become. They put graphics over everything and think that this is the only progress that matters to be pushed even further.
I mean, we still have enemies in shooter games who are dumber than Perfect Dark 64 enemies. There was a good thread here about the most influential games. And it's sad that most games just copied Gears mechanics fir example instead of pushing the idea any further.

The main problem is that people really belive that the xbox 720 will be insanely powerful, creating a huge gap between wii-u and the 720.

I dont see that happening. Microsoft wants to push Kinect, so its most likely built into the Konsole or its getting shipped with it from day 1. That aint cheap. If the next rumor, concerning the tablet controller is true aswell, then i dont know how they could afford to make an insanely powerful console this time.

I dont think there will be 2 skus either because they would want every console to have those 2 extras. If you make 2 skus, you have to sell games with "requires Kinet" and/or "requires tablet controller" or even both on it...

Another factor is development cost of games will EXPLODE once again if the hardware is insanely powerful. Do you really want the game prices to reach new heights? i dont!

One console SKU... with Kinect maybe even with tablet controler. slightly more powerful than the wii-u. Thats my prediction for the Xbox 720.

A huge gap is just not going to look much better any way no one out side hard-cores will see it

I was just thinking the thing about Big N and 3rd partys need to get over is that they are the competition but at the same time they need to help them, Its not like Sony or MS who first party are just other devs owned by them.

z0m3le

Banned
3 posts up

Your power assessment aligns with mine, however, Microsoft is already considering selling the tablet as an add on, so I don't see a reason why they wouldn't go with a 2 SKU system, selling the tablet for the $400 SKU, and also selling it separate for around $100 as well.

Selling an add-on like the tablet makes perfect sense, devs will support it because they can just port their code and design ideas from the Wii U version of their multiplatform games, and in this way, they also catch the uniqueness of the Nintendo console without having to eat the costs of such an add on.

If anyone has tried to understand Nintendo's philosophy, he will come to the conclusion that more hardware power isn't important to create classics. Nice graphics are just a bonus for them; the game itself and the fun it offers - this is what the "new" Nintendo is about. I know this sounds stupid, but most people - or gamer - don't get Nintendo.

If you love cutting edge graphics, then I think you would make a huge mistake buying the Wii U.

WOW, what a gross statement, you should change that to Consoles in general, because PCs always have the best graphics. Just because someone likes eye candy doesn't mean they have to sacrifice console games, Nintendo will put out a decently powered box this gen, I'm not expecting it to be more than "5x" the power of the 360, but it's absolutely boneheaded to think that Nintendo will actually pay more money to weaken their console, for the cost of the hardware they put in the Wii, they could make a console that is ~3x the power of a 360. That is why all of these posts make no sense. Nintendo does want the hardcore market, they want it all, all 3 companies do.

Nibel

WOW, what a gross statement, you should change that to Consoles in general, because PCs always have the best graphics. Just because someone likes eye candy doesn't mean they have to sacrifice console games, Nintendo will put out a decently powered box this gen, I'm not expecting it to be more than "5x" the power of the 360, but it's absolutely boneheaded to think that Nintendo will actually pay more money to weaken their console, for the cost of the hardware they put in the Wii, they could make a console that is ~3x the power of a 360. That is why all of these posts make no sense. Nintendo does want the hardcore market, they want it all, all 3 companies do.

I meant gamers who just look at the graphics alone, and I'm certain that the 720 and PS4 will be more powerful systems even if the gap between them and Wii U isn't that big.

You are interpreting my post so wrong it's actually hilarious.

Xun

A huge gap is just not going to look much better any way no one out side hard-cores will see it

I was just thinking the thing about Big N and 3rd partys need to get over is that they are the competition but at the same time they need to help them, Its not like Sony or MS who first party are just other devs owned by them.
:lol

We have yet to see anything far beyond what the HD twins can do since everyone is still using current-gen engines.

ozfunghi

I meant gamers who just look at the graphics alone, and I'm certain that the 720 and PS4 will be more powerful systems even if the gap between them and Wii U isn't that big.

Even then, it wouldn't be a "huge" mistake. I would call the Wii a huge mistake for such a person though. Yet we are again one step closer to realistic graphics, the competition might not bet everything on graphics technology unlike last time, and by the looks of things, WiiU will not be a new Wii in terms of graphical splendour. So, if you're buying WiiU merely for graphics, the word "misinformed" springs to mind, rather than a huge mistake.

MDX

No one is going to really care about specs once they have that tablet in their hands, playing in the bathroom, in bed, at the dinner table or their favorite couch. Its all about the controller at the end of the day.

Nibel

So, if you're buying WiiU merely for graphics, the word "misinformed" springs to mind, rather than a HUGE mistake.

I can agree with that. Sorry from my side; I think you get what I meant, but I expressed it maybe a little bit too harsh.
If you followed this thread, you know that I'm one of those who can't wait for the system.

z0m3le

Banned

Anyone who really cares about graphics have to ignore console gaming completely, not just Nintendo's next console. Your post makes sense inside this current generation that is ending, the Wii is something that anyone who thought about graphics as important, pretty much has to ignore the Wii, but Wii U will be a modern console, not a 2001 tech console.

And yes I am expecting the 720 and PS4 to be more powerful than Nintendo's console, but not because they are Microsoft and Sony consoles, it's because they are coming in 2013 and maybe even 2014, the technology to make the consoles stronger without going insane will be there.

Anyways, hope you don't take my posts too seriously, I am really just hoping to shed my junior tag before e3, so GDC needs to have some new info, hopefully some screen caps or something.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I today received a reply from Nintendo's US IP correspondent Jerald E. Nagae of Christensen O'Connor Johnson Kindness. While nothing new has surfaced, I think it was nice of him to at least respond. Here goes, and I will only post his response:

Dear Mr. [EDITED],

Thank you for your email below. My response to you has been delayed due
to being on vacation. The information that you seek is covered by the
attorney-client privilege. Thus, the rules of professional
responsibility prohibit me from providing a substantive response to your
inquiry.

Best regards,
Jerry Nagae

I asked him about the suspension letter sent by the USPTO to Nintendo Co., Ltd. on the 11th of January. It reads: An Office action suspending further action on the application has been sent (issued) to the applicant.

Source: http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85393173

Perhaps Nintendo's European IP correspondent Grünecker, Kinkeldey, Stockmair & Schwanhäusser will provide some more information on the status of the European trademark hassle, though I doubt it. I should receive a reply from them later this week.

darthdago

Wow, I'm impressed...a lot of posts over the week-end.
But nothing really happened or?
New leaks?

BTW want to summarize some things (if you look on paper/specs only - not how complicated it was to code for them):
– NES was a great piece of hardware but Master System was stronger
– SNES oh I loved that machine (dreaming) but Mega Drive was stronger, Nintendo tried to compensate it releasing the super FX-chip later (very good one)
– N64 (the last console that deserve to call itself CONSOLE imo (cartridges))was on paper the most powerful
– Gamecube was stronger than PS2 and maybe on par with xbox.
– Wii...we all know it was superior in Multiplayer/Party-gaming
– Wii u hmm, imo will be on par with both other consoles, you will see...

What are some people fearing here?
Dont get it at all, even that some are saying Wii u is weak and doomed...

Be aware, Nintendo will surprise us all!!
If not (on paper) with the strongest HW it will be once again with great games and gameplay!

What will each of the next gen plats provide us with??
RIGHT 720 or 1080p!!
The differences will be really small does it really matter if one multiplat-title have a character on console 1 with 1000 details on console 2 with 1015 details and on console 3 with 1020 details?
I dont think so.

Games/consoles are about fun and I'm sure the Wii U will provide that.
I really hope that it will be possible with that controller to play a game on the big screen and to stream my favorite soccer match to the controller!!
That would be awesome!!

z0m3le

Banned
Rösti;35518328 said:
I today received a reply from Nintendo's US IP correspondent Jerald E. Nagae of Christensen O'Connor Johnson Kindness. While nothing new has surfaced, I think it was nice of him to at least respond. Here goes, and I will only post his response:
Perhaps Nintendo's European IP correspondent Grünecker, Kinkeldey, Stockmair & Schwanhäusser will provide some more information, though I doubt it. I should receive a reply from them later this week.

It's about what I expected, but the entire point that you tried isn't lost on at least some of us, Thanks; ever since you joined this thread, it has become more informative.

I really hope your triforce GDC theory is realized next week.

I really hope that it will be possible with that controller to play a game on the big screen and to stream my favorite soccer match to the controller!!
That would be awesome!!

Actually, this is almost confirmed, though maybe not in the way you are thinking, if your soccer match is stream-able through the internet, you'll likely be able to watch it through the controller, a game is technically still possible to run on the TV at the same time, what type of game this is, we have to leave to developers, but it could easily handle VCs this way, such as Gamecube games.

No one is going to really care about specs once they have that tablet in their hands, playing in the bathroom, in bed, at the dinner table or their favorite couch. Its all about the controller at the end of the day.
Is it likely to have that sort of range? My 360 pad disconnects if I go into the kitchen :(

Wow, I'm impressed...a lot of posts over the week-end.
But nothing really happened or?
New leaks?

BTW want to summarize some things (if you look on paper/specs only - not how complicated it was to code for them):
– NES was a great piece of hardware but Master System was stronger
– SNES oh I loved that machine (dreaming) but Mega Drive was stronger, Nintendo tried to compensate it releasing the super FX-chip later (very good one)
– N64 (the last console that deserve to call itself CONSOLE imo (cartridges))was on paper the most powerful
– Gamecube was stronger than PS2 and maybe on par with xbox.
– Wii...we all know it was superior in Multiplayer/Party-gaming
– Wii u hmm, imo will be on par with both other consoles, you will see...

What are some people fearing here?
Dont get it at all, even that some are saying Wii u is weak and doomed...

Be aware, Nintendo will surprise us all!!
If not (on paper) with the strongest HW it will be once again with great games and gameplay!

What will each of the next gen plats provide us with??
RIGHT 720 or 1080p!!
The differences will be really small does it really matter if one multiplat-title have a character on console 1 with 1000 details on console 2 with 1015 details and on console 3 with 1020 details?
I dont think so.

Games/consoles are about fun and I'm sure the Wii U will provide that.
That would be awesome!!

Did you just try and say the snes was weaker than the megadrive? Yes the megadrive had a faster processor but overall the snes was a far more capable system

z0m3le

Banned
Is it likely to have that sort of range? My 360 pad disconnects if I go into the kitchen :(

The Wavebird and Wiimote have a pretty great range, but the Tech they use for the controller is still not really known, but from Iwata's comments about range, it seemed like he was more trying to say that it might be possible to get it from one side of your house to the other, but it's impossible to know a.) the size of your house. b.) the type and amount of interference it will travel through. c.) battery life of controller.

Combining all of that with the natural uncertainty of signal strength and just not wanting to make untrue statements, I would imagine the range is somewhere below a wavebird or wiimote, but larger than 30ft. (on average)

darthdago

Did you just try and say the snes was weaker than the megadrive? Yes the megadrive had a faster processor but overall the snes was a far more capable system

Yes thats what I did say!!
But I also wrote "only on paper" which should mean if you look at processor speeds e.g.

What the coders managed with the SNES was awesome.

What I only wanted to state is, it dosnt really matter which system is the strongest on paper.
Its all about what the coders will do/how they will push a system.

So no one should really fear if even on paper system a is a bit weaker than system b or c...

oh u guys are heaven-sent. to be truthful, i'm more excited to hear or see the concrete specs for those two (especially Sony). mainly because i want to see all of the people cry and whine when they see they're all on par. lets just be extra truthful, the games aren't going to go beyond what people think they are. i feel 1080p will be seen more often or maybe become a new standard. but what these guys expect, even if the other 2 consoles are stronger than the Wii U, we aren't gonna see. in fact i know (yes i'm confident) that all 3 will run ports of the same game almost across the board (much like in 6th gen) so they better just get ready to except it now.

I'm still betting all my make believe money on the console being to PS360 what the 3DS is to the PSP. By all means it will be more powerful, it needs to be to power a second screen (just like how 3DS has to power 3D). But take that aspect away and the underlying quality won't impress much beyond what the previous gen could achieve. In other words, I expect the Wii U will look a little better than current gen when using two screens to the full capacity. I guess a game that only used one screen could be noticeably better than current gen, just as a 3DS that didn't use 3D whatsoever could look noticebly better than the best PSP games.

I'm still betting all my make believe money on the console being to PS360 what the 3DS is to the PSP. By all means it will be more powerful, it needs to be to power a second screen (just like how 3DS has to power 3D). But take that aspect away and the underlying quality won't impress much beyond what the previous gen could achieve. In other words, I expect the Wii U will look a little better than current gen when using two screens to the full capacity. I guess a game that only used one screen could be noticeably better than current gen, just as a 3DS that didn't use 3D whatsoever could look noticebly better than the best PSP games.

yeah cuz you can't expect so much from the graphical standpoint anyway. that point has been brought out several times here. as i just mentioned, people think we're gonna get Pixar/Avatar/Dreamworks type graphics and we know that's just not gonna happen. but yet they insist it is cuz well, they're not very bright. then they want to claim Nintendo is behind in the times and just because of the Wii being the less powerful console this gen (also mentioned) they don't know what to do. lol, do YOU know what to do? do YOU own a gaming company? (rhetorical) just cuz you know a little something about processors and stuff doesn't mean you can develop a console. lol but that's giving people like that too much credit cuz the ones that actually know about processors and stuff don't make outrageous claims like that.

mclem

As of e3 '11 press release it was stated that the wii U didn't have any sort of HDD but a limited SSD like the wii, however unlike the wii, memory was upgradable through external HDD.

I do hope the Wii U doesn't object to all the Wii games (legitimately!) ripped to my large external HD...

Lenardo

Banned
MY 2C, i am coming from a gamer w/younger kids angle,

my kids are 10 and i have 2 that are 7 (2 boys and a girl)

last(this current) generation, due to the games released there was a MINISCULE amount of games that my kids could play on the 360 and ps3, so we have DS's(5 of them) and 2 Wii's

For the Wii though, I had a plethora of Good Quality games that i could (galaxy 1&2, kart, bros,deblob, skylanders, just dance, guitar hero(10yr old just got into it last august), etc)buy Plus i could buy games that were in genre's I liked/was curious about for me (i dislike FPS games, but i do own red steel 2, the conduit, RE4, madworld, most of the good "rail shooters"- hotd:eek:verkill, both RE's, Dead Space, etc) we do own mw3 & i let my 10yr son play that with voice off, HE is good at FPS on the wii(using stock controls for the gun shell that came with that link game) and usually-if noone is cheating online- is the top 1-3 every match he plays, hell if some of you play mw3 on the wii you probably have played him.

overall we have- at current count- over 120 wii games(excluding wiiware/virtual console- where we have umm 15 games).

the generation jump to this upcoming gen, for MY family is going to be huge, going from a standard tv and a wii to a HD tv and the WiiU.

i'll be happy with the jump from wii to wiiu, it is a huge generation leap in power, for someone like me.

we also have 4 computers at home, a nook tablet (rooted, i have not installed cm7 on it as of yet, waiting for a more refined release- one that has hardware video working well.

z0m3le

Banned
yeah cuz you can't expect so much from the graphical standpoint anyway. that point has been brought out several times here. as i just mentioned, people think we're gonna get Pixar/Avatar/Dreamworks type graphics and we know that's just not gonna happen. but yet they insist it is cuz well, they're not very bright. then they want to claim Nintendo is behind in the times and just because of the Wii being the less powerful console this gen (also mentioned) they don't know what to do. lol, do YOU know what to do? do YOU own a gaming company? (rhetorical) just cuz you know a little something about processors and stuff doesn't mean you can develop a console. lol but that's giving people like that too much credit cuz the ones that actually know about processors and stuff don't make outrageous claims like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gIq-XD5uA8&feature=related

This is a demo from the 7970 hardware, you can download it and run it on your computer from AMD, This card is something like "15x" Xenos (in just Gflops) it can pull well over 250watts at load, and is already running on a 28nm process, which is the smallest GPU process you can expect for the next 2 years, PS4 and Xbox720 will not have a console that runs above 200 watts for the entire system, this includes a CPU that will run at least 30watts, but anything that could take advantage of a card like that would need minimum twice that...

PS4 will be a half step to that demo, that is the reality of next gen, yes there will be some slight advances, but you won't see anything this next gen, that is more complex than that Demo... At least not without hitting sub HD resolutions or lowering the frame rate... likely both.

Having said all of that, it is still possible to port something like that demo to the 360 and Wii U will be stronger than that by a reasonable amount.

Going back to the last page's discussion, I would really love to have a remodeled 3DS, with more comfortable buttons, a D-Pad that doesn't make my hands hurt, a second analog stick, better cameras, and better battery life. Frankly, there are a lot of problems that could be fixed with a hardware revision, especially if Nintendo could drop from a 65nm process to even just 40nm.

But yeah, the problem is I feel consumers are just getting over the confusion on the marketplace that the 3DS isn't just another revision of the Nintendo DS. That, and Nintendo has created a sense of entitlement among their fans after the ambassador program, where we would have a bunch of people on the message boards claiming they should get free games.

Dang it if I don't want a revision though. I have a feeling this fall in Japan, next Spring in the US might be the earliest we'll see it.

Unless GDC...

nordique

Oh Microsoft could very well afford to make a system much more powerful than the Wii U, with a next gen Kinect "2.0" and a touch pad on their controller.

The question is do they want to make or lose money out the gate? ;)

I think you're right in your speculation as now that Microsoft is turning a profit, I don't see them turning back and return to a red-ink business model. They've see the profit, and really, that is what a business is interested in at the end of the day. They want to use their Xbox brand to get into houses and have a jump start on Apple, the same way Apple jump started everyone with tablets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gIq-XD5uA8&feature=related

This is a demo from the 7970 hardware, you can download it and run it on your computer from AMD, This card is something like "15x" Xenos (in just Gflops) it can pull well over 250watts at load, and is already running on a 28nm process, which is the smallest GPU process you can expect for the next 2 years, PS4 and Xbox720 will not have a console that runs above 200 watts for the entire system, this includes a CPU that will run at least 30watts, but anything that could take advantage of a card like that would need minimum twice that...

PS4 will be a half step to that demo, that is the reality of next gen, yes there will be some slight advances, but you won't see anything this next gen, that is more complex than that Demo... At least not without hitting sub HD resolutions or lowering the frame rate... likely both.

Having said all of that, it is still possible to port something like that demo to the 360 and Wii U will be stronger than that by a reasonable amount.

we won't see anything like that in the 8th, forthcoming gen and we probably will the 9th gen? is that what your saying?

z0m3le

Banned
we won't see anything like that in the 8th, forthcoming gen and we probably will the 9th gen? is that what your saying?

I said anything more complex than that, even hitting that complexity will require sacrifices in both frame rates and resolution. That is the reality of this upcoming Generation.

So unless devs are pushed again and we go back to sub HD resolutions with unstable frame rates and no AA, we aren't going to see anything that is more complex than that demo.

I said anything more complex than that, even hitting that complexity will require sacrifices in both frame rates and resolution. That is the reality of this upcoming Generation.

So unless devs are pushed again and we go back to sub HD resolutions with unstable frame rates and no AA, we aren't going to see anything that is more complex than that demo.

okie doke

Hammer24

Banned
The question is do they want to make or lose money out the gate? ;)

I think you're right in your speculation as now that Microsoft is turning a profit, I don't see them turning back and return to a red-ink business model. They've see the profit, and really, that is what a business is interested in at the end of the day. They want to use their Xbox brand to get into houses and have a jump start on Apple, the same way Apple jump started everyone with tablets.

So MS could simply repeat their multi sku business model:
- 300$ "core" model = media hub
- 400$ "kinect" model = including kinect 2.0
- 500$ "pro" model = including kinect 2.0 AND tablet controller add on
MS has shown this generation, how much money is to be made with add ons, I don´t see them abandoning this approach come nextgen.

To be honest, I thought the 'Leo' tech demo was really bad. It doesn't showcase the capabilities of the top cards at all. It uses advanced effects but you need a good eye to see them - they are not immediate and certainly not mind-blowing, which is the point of a tech demo. I think a much more visually impressive output is possible using the same hardware and techniques.

Plus it's not remotely as funny or likeable as they clearly wanted it to be :p

HylianTom

Banned
I can't wait for E3 Bingo.

I'm in. This is gonna be good.

I've been reading nominee threads from GAF's favorite meltdowns voting thread, and, strangely enough, these threads have only served to make me more hyped for E3.

Nintendo's worst-case scenario: PS360-level graphics, Reggie & Iwata spend 45 minutes talking about casual titles, a three-minute sizzle reel of PS360 ports, no Pikmin 3, and then they price it too high.

Microsoft's worst-case scenario: too much focus on Kinect exercise games and non-gaming functions turns the event into a "betrayal" of its Mountain Dew-flavored, "extreeeeme!" audience.
Also: 720 is to 360 as Wii was to GameCube.

Sony's worst-case scenario: Sony, attempting to differentiate itself from the other two, goes for ultra high-end processing power.. but is the only one without a tablet controller. (i.e., PS5 for $800)

So.. what do you guys see as worst-case scenarios for each company at E3?

Jackano

So MS could simply repeat their multi sku business model:
- 300$ "core" model = media hub
- 400$ "kinect" model = including kinect 2.0
- 500$ "pro" model = including kinect 2.0 AND tablet controller add on
MS has shown this generation, how much money is to be made with add ons, I don´t see them abandoning this approach come nextgen.

Over the time, why not? But the core model was here just for what, announcing a low price point ... do we have figures? I doubt the no harddrive/4GB flash memory systems were very much successfull.
Plus, your tentative offer is quiet complicated for an initial launch. 2 packaking at launch is Ok, despite the Wii has proove, imo, that one unique bundle is the best way to go.
But why not, your ideas seems good. It's not a X720 speculation thread, but Microsoft situation is interetsing. They have many tools to work with, kinect is a pretty established brand now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom