• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Design-wise, Pokemon wouldn't really gain anything from being on a console. The only improvement you'd see is graphics. In order to do things like real time combat you'd have to completely redesign the game.

The only console Pokemon I need is Stadium 3... and maybe Snap 2.

Design-wise, Pokemon wouldn't really gain anything from being on a console. The only improvement you'd see is graphics. In order to do things like real time combat you'd have to completely redesign the game.

Just give it the Star Ocean/Tales of battle system with the Trainer not able to attack, but use items and issue commands.

Well supposedly.......

But I think it's a load of crap. Pokemon has its fingers in everything. With online, there's no more reason you need a portable system to be able to trade. Seriously, if there's a market for My Pokemon Ranch, there's a market for a console Pokemon RPG.

You've also got to take the U's NFC functionality into account. Having Pokemon trading cards at retail would make the money that Activision have made from Skylanders seem like very, very, very small change. It'll take the phrase "license to print money" and give it a whole new meaning.

guek

Banned
If pokemon snap 2 is unveiled at this E3, I'm going to lose my shit.

I'd be pretty satisfied with a pokemon stadium 3 with a short-ish story mode leading up to the elite 4 and the ability to set up communities, leagues, tournaments, and proper matchmaking and leaderboards. I want there to be a rank 1 pokemon master spot.

Terrell

So then I need 2 consoles to play?
No, you'd need 2 consoles to enjoy an OPTIONAL method of playing the game. Online would still offer the standard battling/trading experience from the console itself, but those who want to take the experience mobile can do so.

Expandability with DLC and the ability to widen the experience by making it an extensive mobile/home experience (which doesn't work as effectively the reverse way - see: Pokemon Stadium).

Donnie

Speaking as a game programmer, we wouldn't know anything about the "bus width", unless we were really pushing a system super hard. And then we'd only know it based on how we are being limited, we don't care about actual numbers (like on iPhone 4 where we know the system has a poor fill rate, but we don't know or care exactly what that fill rate is, we just know that we need to keep high-res textures to a minimum on that device). And I doubt Nintendo would include that sort of number in their documentation.

And as far as I'm aware, an SPU is a marketing term Sony/IBM came up with for the dedicated-task processor cores their cell chip has, so unless Wii-U is powered by a Cell there is no "number of SPU's"

Ok but even if he doesn't know the exact bus width or clock rate he must have some specifics on it to claim that the RAM is slower.

Also SPU = Stream Processing Unit, not to be confused with CELL.

Donnie

Yes but Nintendo has seen how that affected its chance with 3rd party ports. I don't see how they would fall into that same trap again for next gen.

Also Wii was more powerful than XBox in just about every area (Memory amount, memory bandwidth, GPU fillrate, CPU performance), the flexibility of the GPU was the only inferior part. Though I would agree it made XBox ports hard to accomplish without a hell of a lot of work.

They did with the 3DS, which is less powerful than similarly priced devices and can't run Unreal Engine 3. I'm not even talking Vita here, you can use an iPod Touch or Android non-phone for comparison.

Where does this "Won't run Unreal Engine 3 = less powerful than anything that runs Unreal Engine 3" myth come from? 3DS is simply a different, admittedly less flexible, architecture. That's not to say its less powerful. I'd like to see a Ipod Touch run a game like Resident Evil: Revelations.

Box

You get to increase the scale of the game, which is fairly significant even if it doesn't sound like it. You get to try things like 3D or voice acting or FMV or any of that stuff that console games enjoy. And yes, you get better graphics and higher quality music.

If you just assume that GameFreak gonna GameFreak and make an unambitious game no matter what, then yeah there's probably no reason to have it on a console.

Pokemon Snap was so good...damn. Imagine what they can do with it now...they could turn it into this whole entire game, where you actually play first person and walk around, sneak as if you were hunting, and try to snap pics, and in camera mode the controller will become the camera. Would be so much cooler than on rails.

There should be a ban on Wii U spec rumors until something substantial is revealed. What does "3x more powerful" or "50% more powerful" than 360 even mean? It's an oversimplified way for us common folk to discuss console power that is ultimately useless in a serious discussion of how a console actually works. No console is simply "5x more powerful" than any other. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I sincerely hope that people will quit shooting in the dark about this topic. The best piece of evidence we have is in the bird demo from last E3. That is what Wii U games will look like. I don't know why people need to overcomplicate things.

guek

Banned
Pokemon Snap was so good...damn. Imagine what they can do with it now...they could turn it into this whole entire game, where you actually play first person and walk around, sneak as if you were hunting, and try to snap pics, and in camera mode the controller will become the camera. Would be so much cooler than on rails.

Nah, the on rails segments were awesome because there were easter eggs upon easter eggs of goodies to see. Trying to get pokemon to do random stuff was the best part of the game.

Though I would definitely approve of a free range mode as well.

Nah, the on rails segments were awesome because there were easter eggs upon easter eggs of goodies to see. Trying to get pokemon to do random stuff was the best part of the game.

you'd still be able to do those things, except it'd be in a giant open world and you'd have to figure out how you can interact with the environment/different pokemon to trigger different things. And exploring all the regions would be awesome. Only if :(

There should be a ban on Wii U spec rumors until something substantial is revealed. What does "3x more powerful" or "50% more powerful" than 360 even mean? It's an oversimplified way for us common folk to discuss console power that is ultimately useless in a serious discussion of how a console actually works. No console is simply "5x more powerful" than any other. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I sincerely hope that people will quit shooting in the dark about this topic. The best piece of evidence we have is in the bird demo from last E3. That is what Wii U games will look like. I don't know why people need to overcomplicate things.

Damnit, I get distracted every time I see that. Some parts of it look amazing.

I agree that the bulk of any sequel should be on rails.

Donnie

I have "verified" my self with the mods ;) and yes dev hardware does tend to get boosted near the end, but until that actually happens I'm not making any assumptions.

And no I am not a software engineer sorry.

You really do your best to ignore pertinent questions. Again, why do Vigil, EA, Ubisoft ect all say that WiiU is at a minimum on par with 360/PS3 if that isn't the case?

Salvadora

Every time i see this thread i think there is something new, Just open a new thread if there is and let this die. It just seems they announced it so early, Although that could be just because the Wii is practically dead.

Well supposedly.......

But I think it's a load of crap. Pokemon has its fingers in everything. With online, there's no more reason you need a portable system to be able to trade. Seriously, if there's a market for My Pokemon Ranch, there's a market for a console Pokemon RPG.

It's called pocket monsters in Japan. So they will continue to stay in our pockets

Every time i see this thread i think there is something new, Just open a new thread if there is and let this die. It just seems they announced it so early, Although that could be just because the Wii is practically dead.

This thread was made so that people wouldn't keep bumping "news" threads with inane stuff.
We had one for the 3DS as well.
Just ignore it if it bothers you.

guek

Banned
you'd still be able to do those things, except it'd be in a giant open world and you'd have to figure out how you can interact with the environment/different pokemon to trigger different things. And exploring all the regions would be awesome. Only if :(

It's a cool idea but i think it's a bit too difficult to actually pull off. I mean, it's possible, but it would require a lot of work and potentially make for a sub-par game if it's not properly executed.

Terrell

It's called pocket monsters in Japan. So they will continue to stay in our pockets

It's called that because Pokemon go into Pokeballs... which fit in your pocket.

This is like saying Mario Kart Wii should never have existed because it features Motocross bikes, despite being called Mario KART. Srsly, I hope you weren't being serious.

Whenever I have happened to bump into any of those self-styled "insiders" who mysteriously spring up on video-games forums just before Nintendo consoles' reveals from Gamecube onwards leaking infos and tech specifics, I have just made a few logic considerations.

First and foremost, how many people work in the games' industry? Thousands, perhaps many more? Then, how come we haven't more leaks around, apart from the odd freshly new registered poster who comes out of the blue claiming himself an insider?

I can possibly come out with only an acceptable answer: there's no leaks because who's in the know don't sign up on a web-forum just to leak secret infos, unless they wanted to lose their job at the very least; I assume there's some gaffers who work in the industry, but if it is so they are discreet posters who don't compromise themselves speaking more about secretive stuff than they're allowed to.

The bottomline is, if a poster - and more so if it's a junior - comes out of nowhere stating something that has no corrispondence with all the things we've heard from many other sources, regardless of whether positive or negative talks, as a general rule I tend to mistrust them and wait for more reliable sources.

daakusedo

At least it shows there is still a lot of insecurity, even if we know what to expect about wiiu.
Seems that the wii made a strong impact on perception about nintendo and power and not just people who want to hate on it.

When it comes to these things, insecurity is all around, it's not only something related to WiiU, speaking of which, back in the day I recall someone saying that after Gamecube Nintendo would withdraw from home-consoles market altogether as it could not compete against Sony and Microsoft.

If we had to speculate about new Sony and Microsoft's home-consoles as well, I am convinced no one has actually a clue about it, all we can make is speculations based on the few things we know as a fact, that's to say pretty nothing.

Box

I do wonder what would have happened if instead of Arkham, some similarly dubious new poster had stated that he had information that the Wii U would be significantly stronger than the current expectations. Would more people have believed it?

I do wonder what would have happened if instead of Arkham, some similarly dubious new poster had stated that he had information that the Wii U would be significantly stronger than the current expectations. Would more people have believed it?

I'd still be dubious of them, myself.
It's not going to be a huge (ie "full gen") leap.
That much is known.
But it's also going to be no where near less powerful than last gen.
Both are strict impossibilities.
So, therefore, the only logical option is that it will be in between.
Probably closer to half way.

It would fall in line with IGN's claims at least.

Jindujun

Neo Member
If the system is on a handheld, you can trade online and locally.

If the system is on a console, you can trade online and that's it.

Simple. They just add some kind of "pokemon box" software free of charge to the DSi/3DS store which lets people transfer their Wii U pokemon to their handheld for local trading

Donnie

So he's not a software programmer, I wouldn't be surprised if he's some PR person or similar with some random second hand info. "Oh the GPU is 450Mhz, that's 50Mhz slower than 360, oh no!!".

antonz

If they tried to claim it would be on par with PS4 etc we would be just as sceptical. When 99.9% of people say one thing then .1% comes along and says no the 99.9% are wrong its bound to cause people to say what?

In my experience I have learned not to trust anyone expect from can be considered reliable sources as Nikkei or more recently that french website that leaked WiiU and Vita, for the good or for the bad.

As for all rumours that come from other mysterious sources, I take them always with a pinch of salt at the very least.

guek

Banned
So he's not a software programmer, I wouldn't be surprised if he's some PR person or similar with some random second hand info. "Oh the GPU is 450Mhz, that's 50Mhz slower than 360, oh no!!".

Mainly it's the whole "360/PS3 ports will have to be nerfed" thing that stinks. If he had said the system was more or less a repackaged 360, it would be considerably easier to swallow. The fact of the matter is that plenty of devs have stated no concessions will need to be made to port to the Wii U. Arkam claims very matter-of-fact-ly that these statements are lies.

Mainly it's the whole "360/PS3 ports will have to be nerfed" thing that stinks. If he had said the system was more or less a repackaged 360, it would be considerably easier to swallow. The fact of the matter is that plenty of devs have stated no concessions will need to be made to port to the Wii U. Arkam claims very matter-of-fact-ly that these statements are lies.

And, in fact, devs have stated that they've been able to do more on the Wii U.

guek

Banned
And, in fact, devs have stated that they've been able to do more on the Wii U.

Yes but "more" is a relative term, whereas "can" and "cannot" are binary definitions when it comes to the ability to make exact ports. If the Wii U is nothing more than a repackaged current gen machine, prior dev comments wouldn't confuse me considering it's difficult to make better looking games if improvements are only marginal.

Arkam

I'm not saying anyone is lying. Maybe their software takes advantage of what the wiiu brings to the table. Our games do not. The only thing that I will say is untrue are the rumors of it being 5x the Xbox 360. It's much closer to 1x if anything. I think a lot of you guys on here oversanalyze things. Just because it isn't as powerful doesn't mean the games look bad... More that they won't look much better than what is currently out on 360/ps3. Ok I'll let you get back to flaming me for being nice and sharing some info.

I'm not saying anyone is lying. Maybe their software takes advantage of what the wiiu brings to the table. Our games do not. The only thing that I will say is untrue are the rumors of it being 5x the Xbox 360. It's much closer to 1x if anything. I think a lot of you guys on here oversanalyze things. Just because it isn't as powerful doesn't mean the games look bad... More that they won't look much better than what is currently out on 360/ps3. Ok I'll let you get back to flaming me for being nice and sharing some info.

So, first you say it's less powerful, now you say it's as powerful...
Uh huh...
And again, everything we've heard from every developer is more powerful.
How about this.
You post some numbers. Benchmarks and such. Speeds.

Arkam

Oh and concessions are often made when porting multiplat games. Especially between xbox360 and ps3. We just don't tend to advertise what sacrifices we make.

Maybe he is part of a sony developer?

janitor@santamonicastudios.com

If we assume he works for Sony, then we could claim as a fact that he has no clue at all :) just think of Wii's reveal that caught Sony off-guard altogether...

Nintendo doesn't just send dev-kits around to Sony or Microsoft as far as I know, let alone Sony developers' teams.

After a rethink, besides, should Nintendo send dev-kits to Sony, they'd most probably send fake ones :D

Donnie

They won't look much better?, don't you mean they won't look as good? You seem confused and keep contradicting yourself from one sentence to the next. That's one of the things that makes it hard for me to take you seriously.

Arent you on a NDA? If so, why break it? -_-

Edit: fuck it, can one of mods ban arkam? tired of him dragging this thread. This has gone too long...

Postman

Banned

What is 5x? What is 1x? What are these arbitrary numbers given to measure "power"?

wsippel

Banned
If you want to be nice, give us something to work with. "Our games won't take advantage" can mean a lot of things - including "we don't care" and "we suck at coding".

Truth101

Banned

You say this, but we have developers who have already said how easy it is to port current gen games to the Wii U without having to sacrifice anything.

If you are an actual developer it sounds like your team is inexperienced, and your games are probably poorly coded to boot.

EDarkness

I hate to say this, but I think Arkam should stop posting about this stuff. It may or may not be true, but without anything else to go with it, it doesn't come off well. Just leave it alone and wait for other information to be leaked to really jump into the conversation. What he's saying is contradictory to what other people have said, and this conversation just isn't going anywhere without more information or some indication of exactly who Arkam is and what he does.

wsippel

Banned
He's been contradicting himself since post one in this thread.
Not really. But as he admitted not to be a software engineer, I'm not sure how much he actually knows or understands. Which is why I'd prefer actual, hard info. What limitations did they face, what middleware or graphics API do they use, SDK and devkit versions, detailed technical specifications? Something to work with, not vague 2nd hand information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom