• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

skyward sword was super mario galaxy as a zelda game. both are around the same level of quality, for many of the same reasons.

Nibel

Although I loved Skyward Sword, it somehow bothered me that the game was so bright and colorful.. don't get me wrong, the game looks gorgeous and the art style works extremely well with the limited hardware.
But I want a more creepy, crazy Zelda again. Look at OoT or MM: these games still freak me out because of the incredible atmosphere in almost every part of those two games; especially since it gets darker the more you play. It adds so much to the exploration.

If they went back to this more realistic art style.. damn. I would go crazy.

Log4Girlz

Although I loved Skyward Sword, it somehow bothered me that the game was so bright and colorful.. don't get me wrong, the game looks gorgeous and the art style works extremely well with the limited hardware.
But I want a more creepy, crazy Zelda again. Look at OoT or MM: these games still freak me out because of the incredible atmosphere in almost every part of those two games; especially since it gets darker the more you play. It adds so much to the exploration.

I will say that yeah, its was much more colorful. I liked the change of pace, but don't want it to be the norm. I did love the actual graphical technique...flying away from skyloft and having the LOD ratchet down and make the place look like a rough impressionist painting was jaw dropping.

skyward sword was super mario galaxy as a zelda game. both are around the same level of quality, for many of the same reasons.

And why I'd like to see them expand the core design. Honestly... I'd be okay with them keeping more or less the same visual styling if it makes the transition from skyworld to underworld/dungeon seamless.

I really enjoyed the fluidity of the level design and control. You felt mobile to a degree you never have in a Zelda game. It's like the mobility of Assassin's Creed in a good albeit simplified control scheme. Now just make it flow completely and you've got awesome. I'd love to be able to fly my damn bird straight down to an area. Jump off from the sky and direct where I land in the level. Though honestly... they'd have to go further with the environmental design... and bypassing it does no one any good.

Well hell. That's probably why it was designed as it was. To have definite starting points. So you have no choice but to play the puzzle. I liked that they took the form of the environment in SS, but there were legit issues with it. A large reliance on the key model. They turned the key into random things, but they were always keys.

Meh. Still an interesting and fun Zelda.

I'm playing my first GTA and loving it (Vice City on steam on my macbook)

seriously I am ashamed of myself for not buying a PS2 when I had the chance.

Hope that Nintendo having an HD console helps get these types of games because missing too many classics.

I guess my love for Miami and 80's music really cause my desire to play this GTA the others I am not sure if I would enjoy them as much because what many games love about the GTA series is not really my cup of tea normally. But I am learning to like it :)

I want to see GTA V on WiiU this would be a sign things have changed

At that point i already quit my nintendo friendship and sold the Wii and i do not want to get him back just for Skyward Sword. And what i heard and saw from Skyward Sword even Twilight Princess seems much better than that game.

Skyward Sword is, in my opinion, the weakest Zelda game, except for the two DS games. It's still a great game though.

I'm playing my first GTA and loving it (Vice City on steam on my macbook)

seriously I am ashamed of myself for not buying a PS2 when I had the chance.

Hope that Nintendo having an HD console helps get these types of games because missing too many classics.

I guess my love for Miami and 80's music really cause my desire to play this GTA the others I am not sure if I would enjoy them as much because what many games love about the GTA series is not really my cup of tea normally. But I am learning to like it :)

I want to see GTA V on WiiU this would be a sign things have changed

Hah!

There's a reason Vice City is the only GTA I've played to completion.

The style, they captured that era in caricature better than damn near anything I've seen.

Not seeing the crazy about OoT. At least compared to MM, which was just nightmarish all around. I also wish that they'd go back to that, TP partially did it already (but not enough). I wouldn't mind if they'd make another cartoony game, but with a more wicked direction that resembles MM artwork. I don't like how they always go with a bright design throughout the entire game, as soon as it has the more ,,unrealistic'' looks since WW and never go crazy with it. I still end up loving the overall feel of Minish Cap, Skyward, etc., but it's time to shake things up again.

Log4Girlz

Not seeing the crazy about OoT. At least compared to MM, which was just nightmarish all around. I also wish that they'd go back to that, TP partially did it already (but not enough). I wouldn't mind if they'd make another cartoony game, but with a more wicked direction that resembles MM artwork. I don't like how they always go with a bright design throughout the entire game, as soon as it has the more ,,unrealistic'' design since WW and never go crazy with it.

A Zelda game with art reminiscent of a Tim Burton Film, or creepy Jim Henson (Dark Crystal), would be amazing.

z0m3le

Banned
GTAV is suppose to come in 2013 I believe, so if it's not on Wii U, it's very puzzling, since Wii U can port a 360 game in a matter of weeks, and Nintendo and Rock Star have had a pretty decent working relationship, Bully and Manhunt 2 ended up on the Wii, and they eventually put GTA3 on mobile platforms (I have it on my touchpad turned android 4.0) So I really don't see them not putting GTAV on the Wii U.

I just hope it sells like RE4 did on the Gamecube, or even better, like soul caliber 2 did (better than the ps2 and xbox versions, but mostly thanks to link.)

A Zelda game with art reminiscent of a Tim Burton Film, or creepy Jim Henson (Dark Crystal), would be amazing.

That's what I'm talking about. And the artworks of MM in fact looked like this, especially clock town. Still the best Zelda :(
But obviously the direction couldn't be fully realized on the N64, so I hope they eventually go back to such an artstyle.

z0m3le

Banned
That's what I'm talking about. And the artworks of MM in fact looked like this, especially clock town. Still the best Zelda :(

Yes, Majora's Mask was amazing, it wasn't just the artwork either, the entire world was coming to an end, this one little town that abandoned their gods, were still going through their day by day, some very afraid of the end, just being able to interact with such well designed characters and story is what puts it far beyond the other Zeldas and it is the one thing that TP truly lacked, there was hardly people to save that you cared anything about. The soul-less hyrule castle town made it worse. You could explore the world in such great detail, but the one point where they cut back was the very reason you wanted to save the world... At least Midna was there.

I'll have to see how SS is, I hear it's much better than TP.

z0m3le

Banned
*imagines Link voiced by Johnny Depp using faux british accent*

Actually, I'm not a fan of Tim Burton either, but I think the vast majority of Zelda fans will tell you that Majora's Mask was Creepy (like Tim Burton and his films) so I think you can rest happy in that knowledge. MM really is the best 3D Zelda.

A focus on characters and a darker story like MM with TP's detailed over world, on a powerful HD console like Wii U would be utterly amazing. Oh and MM art style. (which was more realistic, I really want something like that... give me say 6 or 7 towns as detailed and filled with characters like Clock Town) A man can dream.

One more game I'd like to see on the Wii U:

A full game reworking of "Duck Hunt". Aim with the pad, online head-to-head mode and score attack leaderboards. Local multi-player if 2 pads is possible.

Make it a launch title. (maybe for the e-shop?)

z0m3le

Banned
I know we get off topic in here guys, but come on, no one cares about johnny depp. (at least not since PotC4)

I really want to hear about what valve is doing, it could really change this next gen, Nintendo did say that they planned to work with third parties with online, but they announced NN, so I doubt it's coming to Wii U, could be Sony's PS4... As long as Nintendo can match up pretty closely to live but free, I'll definitely stay away from Xbox3.

Speaking of "live" do you think they could create an Onlive App for Wii U? Seems like a really good opportunity for Onlive to reach it's target customers.

HylianTom

Banned
I know we get off topic in here guys, but come on, no one cares about johnny depp.

I really want to hear about what valve is doing, it could really change this next gen, Nintendo did say that they planned to work with third parties with online, but they announced NN, so I doubt it's coming to Wii U, could be Sony's PS4... As long as Nintendo can match up pretty closely to live but free, I'll definitely stay away from Xbox3.

Man.. if Valve enters the ring, I hope that they aren't partnered with anyone. An odd sentiment, I guess, but it would be fascinating to watch them compete with the current three for marketshare.

Their entrance into the console-ish market could alter the landscape notably..

z0m3le

Banned
Man.. if Valve enters the ring, I hope that they aren't partnered with anyone. An odd sentiment, I guess, but it would be fascinating to watch them compete with the current three for marketshare.

Their entrance into the console-ish market could alter the landscape notably..

I actually agree, I really don't think their model fits with Nintendo's well, but I'd love to see that happen. If they do join in a notable way (actually putting a console box at walmart, under $500) it will hurt Sony more than the rest, MS if they do hurt much from a Steam box, I think it will end up sharing some royalties with MS thanks to Windows and games for windows. Plus MS won't be worried about a small market loss.

I had a feeling Apple was going to join the market too, but they will be coming in from the outside, through Apple TV and an Apple TV. They could noticeably change the market too, but only really in the casual market that can afford them.

HylianTom

Banned
The main kink? I just hope that they (Valve) somehow do not announce anything major at E3. They would be Nintendo's main competition for media attention and mindshare in that critical time period.

Unlikely, sure. But it would be in Nintendo's best interest to have the major headlines to themselves this year..

edit: on second thought.. no matter what Nintendo does, most {censored} writing for western gaming media outlets are going to pretty much say, "LOL, Nintendo." So maybe it doesn't matter that much.

Hah!

There's a reason Vice City is the only GTA I've played to completion.

The style, they captured that era in caricature better than damn near anything I've seen.

THE MUSIC :D

that is the thing that really pulls me in... right now I am trying to master Demolition Man mission that damn little RC copter is too weak even if I have plenty of time left it gets shot down by those P.I.G. guys

my laptop does not hame NUM keys so I had to edit the controls

I wonder how WiiU could control those helicopters I imagine Brown Thunder missions with the uPad screen used as a second camera with crosshairs on targets the Hunter would rock :)

I have not even flown it yet still early in taking my time had many restarts

Ace gets banned before hitting 1500.
D:
I think we should give Acebandage a shot.

Ace... Ace..?

wakey-wakey,
Link Mario Snakey!

(On second thought: Maybe Ace is out seducing a developer?)

Thread pwned by guek!

But thread mastered by AceBandage!

wasn't that your old PA tag, guek? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?
Gah, making the thread.
Fine, but I'll warn you! YOU WON'T LIKE IT!

z0m3le

Banned
This gets mentioned quite often, what exactly makes people think that ?

Sony right now is seen as a hard core console atm, with the best graphics. Almost any game that mattered was on the PC and 360, and usually PS3 as well. If Valve makes a PC box that plugs into your tv that truly is just a mid-high ranged PC, they will have taken Sony's position next gen, PS4 will be just another box, it will not keep up with a PC, especially because Valve can freely release GPU upgrades every 2 or 3 years, that will make their box the ultimate form of backwards compatibility.

Honestly the only thing holding PC gaming back is ease of use, price of entry and most importantly a target spec. DX gives a very basic target, but a box with specific hardware that is sold in the millions is exactly what PC gaming needs, and if they can push Developers to target their current GPU choice/box as the High setting for all PC games. They will then be able to have their last version have a Mid setting... It's really a powerful approach to a product like this, and PC developers are use to targeting multiple specs.

Anyways if the rumors hold true, Valve could very well push Sony directly out of it's current niche, and it would put them at a tough spot, they will be the box without the best graphics, and without the heavy hitters like Gears and Halo, as long as those stay relevant that is.

Oh, and like I've previously said, Nintendo has it's image and "gimmicks" as does Xbox have it's, though steam will take a bite out of Xbox, MS has the money, and likely will receive some sort of royalties for each steam box sold (from windows licencing) and might actually not view Valve as a rival thanks to them pushing PCs powered by windows.

Roo

This is another cool reaction shot, and it is from one of the more recent E3s.

Sometimes I ask myself if those journalists aren't allowed to go crazy, though :lol

Ohh shit!!
I really need to play Other M again :(

lol at the guy.... Metroid what?
other guy: Other M

*TIME TO GO!*

priceless

burst

From this year on, e3 with a HD nintendo console with a control scheme that should actually live up to expectation, is going to be fucking exciting.

Sadist

I keep saying it, but Iwata should be putting pressure on every team to have *something* for a sizzle real at e3.
Now imagine this with Iwata's face plastered on it

kMMf8.gif

And that is why, this year.
We'll see the stage go dark.
And up on the screen we'll see a jungle.
Then Crytek's logo flash. Followed by "In association with Nintendo."

Then we see
ipebt.jpg

Followed by
HHiyJ.jpg

Time Splitters 4

They traverse time and Nintendo franchises!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom