• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie5

AC3 officially confirmed for Wii U :) First Wii U game confirmed this year, right?

This changes certain things. We know now that there might be more announcements from third parties before E3. (I hope)

And I definitely think AC3 will release same time as the other platforms.

How about even if they keep the name Wii U we just refer to it as the U from now on anyway?

I strongly doubt the name change now, the Ubi Press release only says in development not to give away the WiiU launch date before Nintendo says it themselves.

so we should just start calling is U

threads of games should be like this next year anywas

Game A for PS3/360/U

I notice this breaks the long history of 2 letter shorthands for gaming platforms

even Vita is PSV so will this end up NWU?

Log4Girlz

I strongly doubt the name change now, the Ubi Press release only says in development not to give away the WiiU launch date before Nintendo says it themselves.

so we should just start calling is U

threads of games should be like this next year anywas

Game A for PS3/360/U

I notice this breaks the long history of 2 letter shorthands for gaming platforms

even Vita is PSV so will this end up NWU?

Just WU

HylianTom

Banned
D:

It IS a game announcement...! Sweet!

Or did I specify a Nintendo game? I can't even remember anymore.

Congrats, man.. we didn't want to lose you!

As in.. Waponi Wu?

main.php

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Oh...yeah that's not happening. It will not run at 60 fps.
I'm expecting something along 20-30 FPS at 576i-720p. Not because of Wii U's capabilities, but because of Ubisoft's likely plans to focus on Wii U remote features over advanced visuals (in relation to the other versions, excluding PC). And it doesn't even have to be anything fancy the controller screen is used for, it could be a map or inventory.

Oh...yeah that's not happening. It will not run at 60 fps.

He probably meant more like a locked, or at least near locked, 30 fps. It's not like the PS3 and 360 versions run at 30 fps all the time. Not even close.

I for one hope that the draw distance will be improved, because the pop ups in the other console versions are terrible.

Rösti;35747413 said:
I'm expecting something along 20-30 FPS at 576i-720p. Not because of Wii U's capabilities, but because of Ubisoft's likely plans to focus on Wii U remote features over advanced visuals (in relation to the other versions, excluding PC). And it doesn't even have to be anything fancy the controller screen is used, it could be a map or inventory.

That would be terrible. If they can't get it to run at 30 fps @ 720p, then it's not even worth bothering. 576i... HAHAHAHAHA that's definitely NOT going to happen. This console isn't going to be weaker than 360/PS3. No game released for a next gen console will have an interlaced image output.

Hiltz

Something I have been wondering about the Wii-U's launch: if the best case scenario happens and Wii-U will have the best possible support at launch (RE6, AC3, COD, etc., plus Nintendo's own games), is there any chance it can have a userbase during its launch window to sustain so many high profile games? As far as I can tell, hardware seems to always be somewhat scarce during launches, so wouldn't it be pretty much inevitable that several games would end up with lacklustre sales?

That's always a possibility, but there's also other factors that can contribute to lower third-party software sales on the Wii U:

- 360 and PS3 have a large userbases while Nintendo's starting back at zero with Wii U.

- Third-parties often cannot compete directly against the release of first-party Nintendo games. This will be especially troublesome for third-parties if Nintendo releases a killer-app title within the launch window.

- Fortunately for third-parties, some of their launch titles will do well simply because their launch games. Like how Red Steel 1 sold a million copies (Even though it was a mediocre game). Frasnchises like Resident Evil, Sonic, and Call of Duty will be big sellers. Assassins Creed 3 and Dark Siders 2 may also achieve good sales.

Log4Girlz

He probably meant more like a locked, or at least near locked, 30 fps. It's not like the PS3 and 360 versions run at 30 fps all the time. Not even close.

I for one hope that the draw distance will be improved, because the pop ups in the other console versions are terrible.

That's not going to be much to set something apart. Going from 30 to 60 fps would be setting the WU version apart from the HD Twins.

But anyhoo, I agree with you, I want multi-plat games in general to have great draw distances and no to negligible pop-up on the WU.

That's not going to be much to set something apart. Going from 30 to 60 fps would be setting the WU version apart from the HD Twins.

But anyhoo, I agree with you, I want multi-plat games in general to have great draw distances and no to negligible pop-up on the WU.

If they put any effort into the port, then it should look noticeably better. I seriously doubt they will aim for 60 fps; they will much rather add AA/raise the resolution/improve draw distance.

Or they will just make a shitty port that looks the same and has a worse framerate, and call it a day.

HylianTom

Banned
Funny thing is.. "core" games sold relatively well early-on during the Wii's life cycle. Red Steel and RE:4 in particular come to mind. So we had proof that there was indeed an audience for that type of game on the platform.. and yet, very little materialized from third-party developers. Lots of test games.

I'm honestly wondering how big a difference launch-window third-party sales matter. If they all bomb, sure, that's one thing. But third-party actions don't always make sense when it comes to Nintendo.

(and they'd BETTER port AC1 and 2 over to us. I have to catch-up.)

guek

Banned
The subscreen in AC3 probably isn't going to be used for much. I wouldn't worry about it sucking up a lot of resources.

Log4Girlz

If they put any effort into the port, then it should look noticeably better. I seriously doubt they will aim for 60 fps; they will much rather add AA/raise the resolution/improve draw distance.

Or they will just make a shitty port that looks the same and has a worse framerate, and call it a day.

Nintendo needs to fucking throw money at them to make sure its impressive. Don't disappoint Uncle Scrooge!

Anyhoo, here's an interesting thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465532

Now...judging by the performance in the charts for a modern, modest GPU...I suspect the Wii U will trump the Xbox 360 in pixel fill and texture fill rate, blowing well past it. Its kinda important when you have another, reasonably high resolution screen to render to.

StevieP

Banned
I don't think Pitcairn is going to end up in the Wii U lol.

I expect it will be based on something VLIW - what that may end up being in the end we don't know.

Hiltz

Quite frankly, Red Steel 1 only did well because people wanted to believe in the potential of the Wii remote for motion control-based swordplay. Despite poor reviews, early adopters still bought it.

they are going to need to port all of the AC series somehow - I have not played any of them.

now that AC3 is a given

I want

Saints Row the Third
GTA V

I want the ports of these series downloads on the eshop

HylianTom

Banned
Quite frankly, Red Steel 1 only did well because people wanted to believe in the potential of the Wii remote for motion control-based swordplay. Despite poor reviews, early adopters still bought it.

I believe that. I bought it and found it middling at best. Whenever people point at Red Steel as a bulletpoint example of "good" Ubisoft support, I furrow my brow.

Log4Girlz

I don't think Pitcairn is going to end up in the Wii U lol.

I expect it will be based on something VLIW - what that may end up being in the end we don't know.

Woops, my previous post implied I felt it would. I don't think it will be in there either, but I do expect the Wii U to have a relatively modern (in terms of feature set) though modest GPU. With all the power talk, I think where Wii U may be "5x Xbox 360" would be in the pixel and texture fill rates.

guek

Banned

It also had one of the worst boxarts of all time

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It sucks that we've all been expecting ubisoft to have AC 3 on the Wii U. If they hadn't hinted at it last year it would have been a pleasant suprise.

frostbyte

I believe that. I bought it and found it middling at best. Whenever people point at Red Steel as a bulletpoint example of "good" Ubisoft support, I furrow my brow.

It's better than shovelware like Imagine Babyz.

And this point is moot. Wii U will have 3rd Party support far exceeding what we had on the Wii.

AND WHERE ARE THE LEAKS?????? GRRRRRRR!

fernoca

AC3 officially confirmed for Wii U :) First Wii U game confirmed this year, right?
A few has already been confirmed for this year (Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden III, etc.); just that there's no official release date for the console.

ACIII will be released in October 31st; guess it will depend on how much before or after that date it is released.

frostbyte

A few has already been confirmed for this year (Arkham City, Ninja Gaiden III, etc.); just that there's no official release date for the console.

ACIII will be released in October 31st; guess it will depend on how much before or after that date it is released.

Surely they wouldn't release it that late. I'm expecting end of September at the latest.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

no NG3 and batman were confirmed in 2011. he was saying this was the first game confirmed for Wii U during the new year but he's wrong, project cars was.

What if all AC footage shown so far was Wii U footage

*drools*

Wolfie5

no NG3 and batman were confirmed in 2011. he was saying this was the first game confirmed for Wii U during the new year but he's wrong, project cars was.

What if all AC footage shown so far was Wii U footage

*drools*

Damn, I thought Project cars was last year.

EDIT: Time sure doesn´t fly when you are waiting for Wii U news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom