• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
I think they could've done alot more on the current Wii though if they wanted to, you have things like Morrowind and the GTA's on consoles last gen. It doesn't really get much more expansive than those.

That's so far away from nintendo's style though. Those games are vast and expansive at the expense of detail. Both games also look like complete shit, even compared to Wii games. The lack of visual fidelity were acceptable due to the vast scope, but I don't think nintendo would ever go down that road with zelda.

Besides, I'm not saying they're going to make an open world zelda game. I doubt that very much. I just think we're going to see much larger areas with much more intricate detail, large sprawling SotC style bosses, and overall much more cinematic and epic moment with the next zelda.

They should release new games when there is a compelling reason to do so.

In some games it's really easy to come up with a compelling reason. With 2D and 3D Marios that reason for me is "Yeah we came up with some more levels."

Zelda I like to have a reason for its development. Motion plus, advances in tech, inventive dungeon ideas.

"...with eyes"
Now you see this is a creepy image, but it could have been slightly more-so.
"...with come fuck me eyes"

That's so far away from nintendo's style though. Those games are vast and expansive at the expense of detail. Both games also look like complete shit, even compared to Wii games. The lack of visual fidelity were acceptable due to the vast scope, but I don't think nintendo would ever go down that road with zelda.

Besides, I'm not saying they're going to make an open world zelda game. I doubt that very much. I just think we're going to see much larger areas with much more intricate detail, large sprawling SotC style bosses, and overall much more cinematic and epic moment with the next zelda.

Uh? The Wii is more powerful than the consoles they were on and you think Morrowind was lacking in detail? I don't see the reason for attacking those games.

I wasn't trying to say they should or would make an open world Zelda but that lack of processing power is not the reason they didn't make a more open game.

fernoca

Yep. Considering that some people had the latent of been able to create Miis..that looked like a dick; to then play Mario Kart online; custom levels with dicks will be there day one.

I actually think it would be really cool for the next Zelda to have an artstyle that resembles rough sketches. Like when you see unfinished versions of animated films and you can still see leftover lines and such. The picture below is actually pretty close to what I'm thinking, but imagining it in motion is what really sells it for me. For instance, running through a cave with a lantern as a mass of jittery black lines gives way to an orange glow that looks like broad strokes from a colored pencil.

wii-u-zelda-link-drawing.jpg

Log4Girlz

I actually think it would be really cool for the next Zelda to have an artstyle that resembles rough sketches. Like when you see unfinished versions of animated films and you can still see leftover lines and such. The picture below is actually pretty close to what I'm thinking, but imagining it in motion is what really sells it for me. For instance, running through a cave with a lantern as a mass of jittery black lines gives way to an orange glow that looks like broad strokes from a colored pencil.

NO, because I couldn't handle that shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GnJLrDXeg

Valkyria Chronicles.

I like the idea, but I think it's better suited for a game like Yoshi's Island that relies more on charm. Besides, Okami already did something similar.

guek

Banned
Uh? The Wii is more powerful than the consoles they were on and you think Morrowind was lacking in detail? I don't see the reason for attacking those games.

I wasn't trying to say they should or would make an open world Zelda but that lack of processing power is not the reason they didn't make a more open game.

I dunno, I watched my friend replay morrowind on 360 over the summer and that game looks like ass. Of course I didn't think that when I first played it a decade ago, and I'm not trying to take anything away from that game at all, but I definitely don't think it looks that great anymore. As for having a more open game, TP was probably close to as open as they could make zelda on GC-level hardware while maintaining 30fps and allowing for a dozen or so enemies on screen at a time. Of course they could have taken it a bit further with the Wii but chose a different direction in SS. What I was getting at originally was we'll probably see areas a bit larger than what we saw in TP but with much greater detail.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo Gamer: 22 Wii U Games are in development. Includes Sribblenaut Wii U, which is in now way confirmed.

We do know that Ken Levine of BioShock fame has got something planned for the new machine (BioShock Infinite looks most likely, which suits us just fine, as you can see from our Bioshock Infinite Wii U feature here) as has Warren Spector, of Junction Point and Disney Interactive.

You know, considering your screen name...I actually would love to see a Kid Icarus on the Wii U.

I would too, but Project Sora's going to be busy for quite a while...

I dunno, I watched my friend replay morrowind on 360 over the summer and that game looks like ass. Of course I didn't think that when I first played it a decade ago, and I'm not trying to take anything away from that game at all, but I definitely don't think it looks that great anymore. As for having a more open game, TP was probably close to as open as they could make zelda on GC-level hardware while maintaining 30fps and allowing for a dozen or so enemies on screen at a time. Of course they could have taken it a bit further with the Wii but chose a different direction in SS. What I was getting at originally was we'll probably see areas a bit larger than what we saw in TP but with much greater detail.

Why would the Zelda team choose to go even bigger than TP with the next console Zelda? Aonuma was constantly mentioning (iirc) how he thought TP's world was too big and too empty. I don't see why the team would go back on that idea so soon.

Morrowind on the Xbox looked like ass at launch. It also ran like ass. The only redeemable thing about it was the water. Playing it years later on the PC I could see why people liked it.

I traded it for a copy of JSRF. Never regretted it.

Log4Girlz

I would too, but Project Sora's going to be busy for quite a while...

Why would the Zelda team choose to go even bigger than TP with the next console Zelda? Aonuma was constantly mentioning (iirc) how he thought TP's world was too big and too empty. I don't see why the team would go back on that idea so soon.

It should be big and dense with lots of things to do.

And the Link you posted looks nothing like Anime :p

fair enough :/ I was moreso trying to point out the colored pencil sketch aesthetics. Whoever mentioned Yoshi's Island had a pretty good idea of what I'm saying, but obviously I'd like to have that artstyle taken in a much more realistic direction in a new Zelda.

GDGF

Soothsayer

This I like.

I want it to be like the Take On Me video, but with color of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

This, so much.

If there's one issue Aonuma is really out of touch with, it's classic 2d Zelda.

Aonuma isn't the reason I think a 2D Zelda wouldn't happen. It's that, if Nintendo wants it to become hugely relevant again, the first Zelda game on Wii U needs to be a grand 3D adventure, not a retro throwback.

guek

Banned
Aonuma isn't the reason I think a 2D Zelda wouldn't happen. It's that, if Nintendo wants it to become hugely relevant again, the first Zelda game on Wii U needs to be a grand 3D adventure, not a retro throwback.

It's more likely that we'll get NEW! Legend of Zelda 3DS

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah.. I refuse to play Elder Scrolls games on a console. Modding is where it's at as far as those games go. Vanilla Morrowind doesn't hold-up nearly as well as modded Morrowind - I'll be playing modded Morrowind when I'm an old man, I suspect.

I'd love for Zelda to be incredibly expansive, but that would mean more side quests, poes, heart pieces, upgrade ingredients, etc. More caves, ruins, abandoned fortresses, haunted houses, non-dungeon temples, and the like. The design team would be working for a long, long time to to create unique locations, as I couldn't imagine Nintendo letting Zelda have Elder Scrolls-style caves (etc). Too bland in order to save development time, or too detailed and then we end-up waiting forever.

It'd be one hell of a teatable to upend. I don't see them taking Zelda in that direction. The favorite form me as far as a huge world was concerned was Wind Waker, in that almost every square on the map had at least one platform/submarine/reef/cavern/mini-game/etc to conquer. If Twilight Princess had been given more side-destinations along the paths of Hyrule, I would've loved it much, much more.

To be clear, though, I'd love a non-Bethesda developer to come-up with a vast, open-world action-RPG in the flavor of Morrowind, complete with magic systems and sneak/stealth mechanics. Someone has to try it, I hope.

I still think the best Zelda approach is like Dark Souls. A completely open world but very populated. Dungeons are all seamlessly placed throughout that world, secrets galore, different areas they can make accessible after you obtain certain items and whatnot. Just one seamless world where the dungeons are all in. Hard to explain what I mean but if you played Dark Souls you know what I mean.

More like Dark Souls less like Skyrim. IMO that's the perfect zelda presentation.

frostbyte

Hopefully, but it sounds like we'll be getting also be getting a 3D game first on that as well. Which I'm not opposed to because I'm interested in seeing what a handheld 3D Zelda looks like, but I miss 2D. :(

I'd rather have 2D Zelda on 3DS and 3D Zelda on Wii U. If you want a 3D Zelda on 3DS, play OoT3D or the eventual MM3D. I personally prefer a 2D Zelda like LttP/Minish Cap on handhelds more.

HylianTom

Banned
I still think the best Zelda approach is like Dark Souls. A completely open world but very populated. Dungeons are all seamlessly placed throughout that world, secrets galore, different areas they can make accessible after you obtain certain items and whatnot. Just one seamless world where the dungeons are all in. Hard to explain what I mean but if you played Dark Souls you know what I mean.

More like Dark Souls less like Skyrim. IMO that's the perfect zelda presentation.

Sounds good.
I would like the ability to attempt dungeons out of order. Maybe a situation where.. sure, you can try to attempt Dungeon 6 before Dungeons 4 and 5 - but it'd be veeeeery difficult - perhaps considered "well above your level," to put it in vague RPG terms. But the reward would make the risk worthwhile.

Fewer absolute barriers, and more semi-permeable barriers, I guess.
(it's late, and I'm having trouble finding my words)(zzzz...)

Again I never said they should make Zelda like Morrowind (or GTA) just that if they wanted to make it more open the Wii's power wasn't something holding them back.

HylianTom

Banned
Again I never said they should make Zelda like Morrowind (or GTA) just that if they wanted to make it more open the Wii's power wasn't something holding them back.

The Wii would've done a fine job of an open-world game, no doubt. I never bought-into the idea that the Wii was incapable of such game worlds.

guek

Banned

I dunno, I just disagree. I don't think they could have done it with the amount of detail they'd want at a stable 30fps.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
two things.

1. Skyward Sword is really not doing that great globally
2. Some of the GDC Wii U titles are pretty hot

What I mean is that they should take a page from the Mario series and alternate between the two.

Anth0ny

Dark Souls with the "Nintendo polish" would be the greatest game ever made. Stable framerate, memorable NPCs, great writing, an awesome artstyle, Koji Kondo on the soundtrack... combined with the vastness of that overworld in Dark Souls. The secrets, the depth, the density, the exploration... it really is Zelda 1 brought back to life in the current gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom