• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

The only thing that we will get at E3 when it comes to specs is this: Number between 1-5 multiplied with current gen system = Wii U Power.

ReyVGM

Doesn't nintendo generally avoid releasing full specs anyway?

They did release specs prior to the Wii. They don't do it anymore because they aren't racing to have the best tech and no matter how good or efficient it is, there will always be people downplaying it.

So my guess is they just avoid releasing them and let people judge its power by how well it looks or runs.

idwl

That aliens footage could be the WiiU version cause the screen was completely devoid of an HUD, health bar etc. which you would expect to be there for every other version

Nibel

That aliens footage could be the WiiU version cause the screen was completely devoid of an HUD, health bar etc. which you would expect to be there for every other version

This is pretty common; you should watch footage of other shooters like BioShock Infinite for example.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No real big information, but nice little infos nonetheless. Next stop is E3.
Next stop actually is the Record Date for Year-End Dividends for the 72nd Fiscal Year on the 31st of March.

When the Notice of Dividend will be issued I don't know. Last year it was published on the 25h of April, with a total dividend payment of 39 642 million yen. The upcoming notice will be included in the proposals for the 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in June (exact date unknown, could be after or before E3).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

No I'm pretty sure thats one of its features, they use the beep motion tracker thing from the movies and not much else.

Nibel

Rösti;35841289 said:
Next stop actually is the Record Date for Year-End Dividends for the 72nd Fiscal Year on the 31st of March.

When the Notice of Dividend will be issued I don't know. Last year it was published on the 25h of April, with a total dividend payment of 39 642 million yen. The upcoming notice will be included in the proposals for the 72nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in June (exact date unknown, could be after or before E3).

Nice job! This could be something since I assume Iwata will be involved in this.

Doesn't nintendo generally avoid releasing full specs anyway?

..and if Microsoft and Sony do the same for their next consoles, you can bet it's because that the rumours of them being only a modest update in power are depressingly true.

If they were truly groundbreaking in terms of capability, you can bet both of them will shouting the tech specs from the roof, just like they did @E3 in 2005.

Jackano

Rösti;35841289 said:

That's pretty much every year one week or so after E3.

darthdago

I think that logo means that the Wii U can handle UE3.
Interesting info: Samaritan runs on UE3.5 and not UE4 like many people assume. If Rein is serious about "getting Samaritan on Flash", then I wouldn't be surprised if they port it - or the UE3.5 - to the Wii U.

but the video shown on showfloor (flavor reel) was based on UE 3.5, so that one is running on WiiU.

Just saw the CryEngine 3 tech trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCTlLhzNTc

At 34 seconds in the clip, video shown reminded me of the Japanese Garden demo for Wii U. It wasn´t the same footage but the look was similar.

CryEngine 3 used for the Garden demo, maybe?

Yes, architecture visualization reminds vaguely of Zen garden's demo, and just after that, the city traffic simulation makes me think of that other street life demo - although that was working using a street-level view.

There's hardly any evidence of it, yet it would make an odd coincidence indeed.

vgamer1

So, this thread moves approximately 1,000,000 times too fast.

Can I get a recap of any/everything new we learned in the past few days, rumors and all?

DrWong

Just saw the CryEngine 3 tech trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCTlLhzNTc

At 34 seconds in the clip, video shown reminded me of the Japanese Garden demo for Wii U. It wasn´t the same footage but the look was similar.

CryEngine 3 used for the Garden demo, maybe?
Had the same feeling when watching it.

Indeed it's very similar. Odd.

Also, what's this Sniper2 game at the beginning?
Sniper Ghost Warrior next instalment. First one was decent (good if we consider the publisher). New one looks interesting.

Nintendo won't say anything about the power of the console. At most they will say that it's capable of 1080p rendering, like Reggie said at the last E3.

Nintendo doesn't give a fuck about telling specs to anyone. It doesn't really matter either if we know them or not. Let the games speak for themselves.

Jackano

Sniper Ghost Warrior next instalment. First one was decent (good if we consider the publisher). New one looks interesting.

Thanks. They kind of stolen an idea I had when I was younger :lol
It's hopeless, but a Wii U version with the Wii U Zapper could be fantastic. It was one of my ideas but back then, it was more of a GBA-based attachment.

/late and also kind of OT

LOL no. That's their ADR, which is a bit different than a normal stock. It basically allows you to say that you own some stock of a foreign company without the hassles of actually owning the stock. This is their actual stock in the Osaka stock exchange(?): http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/overview?symbol=7974.OS It's trading at around $140, and they have a market cap of around $21 billion if I did the conversions right.

So wait, if I feel like investing in Nintendo and I'm not Japanese, would I have to buy their ADR? (I'm not particularly well-versed in investing if you can't tell :lol)

mclem

I would expect that a multiplatform game would only move the HUD information to the Wii U pad at quite a late stage of development; best to have all platforms as consistent with one another as possible for as much of the development time as possible.

Nope they stopped with Wii....
They only really *started* with the Gamecube. With Nintendo, obliqueness about specs is the norm, not the exception.

ReyVGM

Can any of the wise members of Gaf tell me how normal it is for Nintendo to start contracts with these middleware developers for use with third party games?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29467

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29460

I know that this is a normal practice but is this more than they have done before or revealed before?

(I'm hoping this says something positive about third parties on Wii U)

First time as far as I know. I mean, first time they offer it for free for everyone to use.

Well, put it this way, if Nintendo did divulge technical details, would we have two threads and almost 40,000 posts? Would we need a speculation thread at all?

80000 posts, and the nintendo haters would be arguing that nintendo is irrelevant anyway despite the specs instead of arguing that the system will be no more capable than the PS360.

Nibel

Nintendo could release the most powerful console ever made and they still would get shit on, this is a fact. The time after the E3 conferences will be crazy again.

Hiltz

I don't see why it would be necessary for Nintendo to release the full system specifications of the Wii U. It would only serve as a distraction and give the media and fanboys plenty of ammo to criticize Nintendo,especially when Wii U is believed to not be a graphical beast. There's no real benefit for Nintendo to release it.

Wii U is more about the controller than better graphics anyway. Besides, Nintendo views HD and graphics as mere tools, whereas Sony seems to perceive them as what makes the experience. Nintendo's core values are just different. Of course, that won't stop Nintendo from making the most out its own hardware's capabilities.

I don't see why it would be necessary for Nintendo to release the full system specifications of the Wii U. It would only serve as a distraction and give the media and fanboys plenty of ammo to criticize Nintendo,especially when Wii U is believed to not be a graphical beast. There's no real benefit for Nintendo to release it.

Wii U is more about the controller than better graphics anyway. Besides, Nintendo views HD and graphics as mere tools, whereas Sony seems to perceive them as what makes the experience. Nintendo's core values are just different. Of course, that won't stop Nintendo from making the most out its own hardware's capabilities.

Once any other company announces the spec, they spend all their time talking about how much better their specs are. If Nintendo doesn't release them, they can stay out of that game.

darthdago

Nintendo could release the most powerful console ever made and they still would get shit on, this is a fact. The time after the E3 conferences will be crazy again.

so true...
....look at the N64 it had a lot of M/18-rated games and shooter and still considered a kiddie console...
*Beati pauperes spiritu*

Nibel

So, any rumours/leaks yet? My guess is no...

Nope.

KQiiE.png

NeoRausch

Honestly - I think we'll be waiting for a Chinese worker to smuggle a Wii U out of the factory and sell it to a tech blog before we get any specs.

lol, yeah that was groddamm awesome. a not-usable 3ds smuggled out off the foxconn building. that kind of shit can cost you your life (or job) over there.

that guy is probably dead by now.

Hiltz

Once any other company announces the spec, they spend all their time talking about how much better their specs are. If Nintendo doesn't release them, they can stay out of that game.

That's a good point. I can see why Nintendo wouldn't want to end up in a situation like Sony did with the PS3.

tkscz

Doesn't it feel good knowing GDC is nearly over and nothing of much value was gained? Oh well, next stop is E3, and this time, I'm not going to be asleep on the hype train! In fact, i'll help engineer it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom