• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Would this be an official change/announcement to the development process or a quirk that was discovered with an update?

sinxtanx

Tech stuff.

A compiler is an application that translates source code to something the CPU itself actually understands. So you have several source files that are compiled to a number of object files, which are then "linked" to make a single binary. Usually, you can compile one source file with, say, GCC 3.1 and one with GCC 4.3, and still link both. You can even compile one file with ICC (Intel C Compiler) and one with GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) for example and still (usually) link them. On Wii U, Nintendo recently broke linker compatibility for some reason. Everything has to be compiled with GHS 5.3.10 or later or it won't link. And that's quite unusual. The two obvious reasons would be that a) Nintendo previously used some other compiler and linker and 5.3.10 is the first version of GHS for Wii U, or b) a recent devkit uses a different CPU that simply isn't compatible with older object files. Because a switch from GHS 5.3.9 to 5.3.10 shouldn't break compatibility unless something far more significant was changed at the same time.

It probably has heavily to do with this: http://www.ghs.com/news/20120327_ESC_Nintendo_WiiU.html
since GHS is Green Hills own compiler, and Nintendo wants people to use the tools they licensed.

wsippel

Banned
It probably has heavily to do with this: http://www.ghs.com/news/20120327_ESC_Nintendo_WiiU.html
since GHS is Green Hills own compiler, and Nintendo wants people to use the tools they licensed.
I know what GHS is and that MULTI is the official Wii U IDE (which is already weird in itself as MULTI is far more expensive than IBM XL). But even then, switching from GHS 5.3.9 to 5.3.10 shouldn't break linker compatibility. Unless Nintendo didn't use GHS until very recently and 5.3.10 is the earliest version available for the platform.

I know what GHS is and that MULTI is the official Wii U IDE (which is already weird in itself as MULTI is far more expensive than IBM XL). But even then, switching from GHS 5.3.9 to 5.3.10 shouldn't break linker compatibility. Unless Nintendo didn't use GHS until very recently and 5.3.10 is the earliest version available for the platform.

By "expensive", I assume you mean processing power wise?

lednerg

... Unless Nintendo didn't use GHS until very recently and 5.3.10 is the earliest version available for the platform.

That'd be my guess. We only heard the GHS license announcement a couple months ago. Would these minor incremental updates happen very often?

AzaK

I wonder why Nintendo recently broke library compatibility. As of a few days ago, you can't link binaries unless all objects are compiled with GHS 5.3.10 or later. That's a rather significant change - not something that should happen at a minor version bump (bugfix release). So what exactly made that change necessary? Did Nintendo switch from IBM XL to GHS? Or were there ABI changes (new, slightly incompatible processor)? And why use such an exotic and incredibly expensive compiler in the first place?
Could be a billion different reasons. I need to look into both the power architecture and GHS but could be anything from name mangling changes (unlikely) to something like new 64bit support to as you say, an incompatible processor.

From Star Wars to Star Trek?
This probably explains the CPU complaints. Looks like this won't be easy to develop for after all.
No, it sounds like a compiler change.
The compiler is part of the CPU.

A binary compatibility change isn't necessarily a big thing. I don't know the Wii U Dev environment but I'd hazard a guess that any middleware would ship C compatible binaries or source code. The former probably won't matter and the latter could just require a recompile which is of no real consequence as devs would be rebuiling their entire projects all the time anyway. The only thing I could think of off the top of my head was the 32->64 bit thing where it might be required by GHS for all libs to be 64 bit and in this case, lib shipping middleware might need to provide 64 bit libs.

I'm on my iPad at mo and extremely tired so can't offer much more analysis at the mo.

No. License fees. MULTI is $5000 per seat. IBM XL is $2000, GCC, pcc and clang/ LLVM are free.

Apart from the costs involved, is there any benefit to limit the platform to 5.3.10 up only? It definitely sounds like a strange decision, especially this late in the console development cycle.

AzaK

Quite possible/probabl. I men it want long ago they announced MULTI right? Also, maybe they are using Green Hills RTOS' now and those might have some sort of requirement.

BD1

Banned
No. License fees. MULTI is $5000 per seat. IBM XL is $2000, GCC, pcc and clang/ LLVM are free.

Who is typically responsible for paying the licensing fees? Publisher? Developer? Platform holder? Combination of the three?

Is this something Nintendo would provide to developers, like the middleware they've licensed?

HylianTom

Banned
you been hanging at the holodeck too long my friend smh
PresidentSkroobScratching.gif

Indeed!
(still not sure about all of this "beaming" stuff..)

Nintendo should announce Gamecube titles will be available on the VC for the Wii U at launch, priced at $12-$15.

The games should be playable on the pad.

A voucher code for 1 free title packed-in. 5-6 titles available at launch including 1 "big title" like Windwaker or Mario Sunshine.

That would be a real winner I think?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Nintendo should announce Gamecube titles will be available on the VC for the Wii U at launch, priced at $12-$15.

A voucher code for 1 free title packed-in. 5-6 titles available at launch including 1 "big title" like Windwaker or Mario Sunshine.

I agree. I've always thought they should do a limited Launch offer like this, in order to offset the "Waiting for a price-drop" people.
Perhaps, they should make the GC games only available for early adopters like the GBA games for 3DS ambassadors.

I saw my 3DS has some strange sports report thingy for MLB

I wonder how many new deals like this the uPad will allow

I don't care about baseball but if they had all sports it would be cool

HylianTom

Banned

If they're playable on the Pad and if the Pad has enough range to where one can wander around the house with their Pad, I'm going to be positively giddy. Euphoric. Happy. I'm huge on playing from the archives, so this would essentially guarantee that I'm going to love this generation. :)

wsippel

Banned
Quite possible/probabl. I men it want long ago they announced MULTI right? Also, maybe they are using Green Hills RTOS' now and those might have some sort of requirement.
Switching to a different IDE and toolchain that late in the game would certainly cause quite a few headaches. Well, at least MULTI supports Visual Studio integration... ;)

And I agree that Nintendos choice seems to hint at a velOSity based operating system, maybe even Integrity, as MULTI is obviously designed and optimized for those. Some of the more advanced debugging, profiling and auto-optimization features are only available on GHS' RTOS as far as I understand.

Who is typically responsible for paying the licensing fees? Publisher? Developer? Platform holder? Combination of the three?

Is this something Nintendo would provide to developers, like the middleware they've licensed?
From the press release, it seems Nintendo pays the license fees in this case. They probably got quite a deal from GHS, but I'm almost certain IBM XL, which is what Microsoft and Sony use as far as I know, would have been cheaper still.

HylianTom

Banned
2GB nice. I'd better submit this to Kotaku ;p
I do remember IdeaMan stating that he was surprised by the amount of RAM.. so I keep going back-and-forth between 1.5 and 2.0GB. But given Mark Rein's water-meet-fish praise, Nintendo's claims that they've taken input from third parties on the hardware, and Nintendo's stated goal of pursuing the core, 2GB would not be the least bit shocking to me.

It all points in that direction, the more I think about it.

I do remember IdeaMan stating that he was surprised by the amount of RAM.. so I keep going back-and-forth between 1.5 and 2.0GB. But given Mark Rein's water-meet-fish praise, Nintendo's claims that they've taken input from third parties on the hardware, and Nintendo's stated goal of pursuing the core, 2GB would not be the least bit shocking to me.

It all points in that direction, the more I think about it.

I'm beginning to think we'e in the region between 2 and 3 GB now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom