• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
thanks for replying to all this. Sounds good. Do you actually know what the specific changes are? Or do you just know that significant changes are abound for the controller? I know if you knew specifics you probably wouldn't be able to say, but I'm sure you can tell us whether we'd be pleased considering our complaints from the discussion yesterday.

I know some modifications that third-parties heard there will be yes. It's one of my biggest cartridge left so i'll say it before E3. Nothing earth-shattering like a secret feature as i said though. Sorry i'm just answering to pyro, i'm not teasing.

I know some modifications that third-parties heard there will be yes. It's one of my biggest cartridge left so i'll say it before E3. Nothing earth-shattering like a secret feature as i said though. Sorry i'm just answering to pyro, i'm not teasing.
well I have a feeling that the analog triggers are one of the changes since BG dropped that rumour a while back.

Anyway I hope it covers all the complaints we had, would suck if the controller is missing some functionality it could easily include, or the pieces themselves aren't as good/comfortable as they could be. I don't really care about secret features or haptics or any of that stupid stuff. Just good old functionality upgrades is what I want.

My Japanese is very rusty but it seems to me Iwata is saying that he recognises that even with broadband, downloading a game that is say, 10GB in size (because that was the size given as an example by the person asking the question) takes a lot of time, but there are solutions such as downloading overnight. He says he thinks it is important to give customers the choice of buying digitally or buying a packaged copy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The secret to the contrablet is a clickable screen. The whole thing depresses with a satisfying click.
I'd find the sound of uncorking way more satisfying. I hope we get a version that does that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
My Japanese is very rusty but it seems to me Iwata is saying that he recognises that even with broadband, downloading a game that is say, 10GB in size (because that was the size given as an example by the person asking the question) takes a lot of time, but there are solutions such as downloading overnight. He says he thinks it is important to give customers the choice of buying digitally or buying a packaged copy.

No limits, then. Good.

Shurayuki

^lol yeah. Japanesu unite!

If Retro launch a HD game with cutscenes, occupying 24GB of data, it won't be available for digitial purchase then ? :p

Ack once again google translate strikes hehe, don't lose hope yet!
In that paragraph, he says that with the current broadband facilities it's indeed not possible to instantaneously download such big software, but as for now they'll just have to make their customers "wait" in that occasion (also notes the possibility to d/l over night to help out with that).
It was important for Nintendo to service customers who prefer either the ease of "easy plug in &play", the constant availability of online titles, the ones who like to resell their games etc.

Sorry hay fever struck and I feel a bit ugh, also it's a lot of text, so just a summary/not very good translation. If some parts stick out and you'd like to have them clarified post them and I'll try my best but no guarantees at this point ^^;

Also he went like "don't you dare ask me about Wii U anymore" :lol damn

They should let people download games of any size like a week before the release date to give them time to get the file downloaded, then when the game releases, Nintendo could just release an unlock key that is small and needs to be downloaded to unlock the content on the game.

Just like they do with demos and stuff these days.

RPGamer92

Banned
They should let people download games of any size like a week before the release date to give them time to get the file downloaded, then when the game releases, Nintendo could just release an unlock key that is small and needs to be downloaded to unlock the content on the game.

At best Nintendo would give 2 days for something like this for the first year or so the system is out.

blu

You can customize the sound. The screen will have its own DSP. I'm gonna download a fart app.
Which reminds me, does anybody here remember that British sci-fi show from the late 70s - Blake's 7? The protagonists' ship computer there used to get online with an uncorking sound (they also had a real acorn on one of the episodes, but that's a different topic). Delicious.

TBH analog triggers are the things I'm least clammoring for, only because I don't see how they do NOT include it in the final release.

I'm more interested in click sticks, bigger/smaller circle pads, more grip, switch to analog sticks, change in positioning, maybe a slight change in form factor (like that bump on the back), etc....

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

In that paragraph, he says that with the current broadband facilities it's indeed not possible to instantaneously download such big software, but as for now they'll just have to make their customers "wait" in that occasion (also notes the possibility to d/l over night to help out with that).
It was important for Nintendo to service customers who prefer either the ease of "easy plug in &play", the constant availability of online titles, the ones who like to resell their games etc.

Sorry hay fever struck and I feel a bit ugh, also it's a lot of text, so just a summary/not very good translation. If some parts stick out and you'd like to have them clarified post them and I'll try my best but no guarantees at this point ^^;

Yeah this is why i used a question mark and a smiley at the end + the following answer to burntpork, surely it won't be a problem, but it's cool to have some clarifications, google translate is a mess when it comes to asian languages :/

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
As we saw very few Wii U news coming from trade events this month, I doubt it's going to be any different in May. So I won't make a huge list of events that Nintendo may or may not attend or exhibit at, but where there actually may be some news is Nordic Game 2012.

Apart from events such as Multimodal 2012, ISM's 97th Annual International Supply Management Conference and Educational Exhibit and 2012 MAC Conference (from where there most certainly won't come any news), Nordic Game 2012 appears to be the prime event just before E3.

"Nintendo is interested to meet with talented game development teams and explore publishing opportunities for original Nintendo 3DS and Wii U game proposals", says Tim Symons, Sales Planning & Strategy, Nintendo.

Source: http://nordicgame.com/?id=130

This event starts eleven days prior to E3, and features besides Nintendo speakers from other companies currently developing games for Wii U. Philippe Angely from Virtuos, Joakim Bodin from EA Dice, Paul Kruszewski from Autodesk (he's responsible for Kynapse (Gameware) which Nintendo has licensed) and Randy Pitchford from Gearbox represent people that in one way or another are connected to Wii U.

Nintendo will participate in the Pitch & Match b2b system which means that they will hold 30 minute meetings featuring discussions about development opportunities. These meetings are held at a separate location at the venue, only accessible for
participants of Pitch & Match. An open space with meeting tables is available. I don't know how large this space is and if it reserved to one company at a time or if it works more like an expo where each company has a designated spot. But unlike at GDC, this meeting place is not as hidden as those private meeting rooms so perhaps participants do not need to sign an NDA anyway (for Nintendo at least). "Development teams" are sought after but I believe people will be able to individually talk with Nintendo as well.

Conference Pass + Pitch & Match cost up to 1250€ (incl 25% VAT). A Main Conference Ticket costs 495€, an Academic Pass costs 180€. If I were still in the industry (retail can go too) I could have attended this. Anyone here planning to go?

Sources: http://nordicgame.com/?id=130, http://nordicgame.com/?id=119, http://nordicgame.com/docs/2012/NG_PitchnMatch_manual.pdf

Oh, and not to forget, there's the Starlight Foundation's A Stellar Night gala on the 17th of May as well. Insomniac Games will be honored, and Nintendo of America is listed as Presenting Sponsor (I don't know what it means): http://www.starlight.org/events/

Shurayuki

Yeah this is why i used a question mark and a smiley at the end + the following answer to burntpork, surely it won't be a problem, but it's cool to have some clarifications, google translate is a mess when it comes to asian languages :/

Yeah, it's not really their fault, asian languages have such a weird syntax and a single word can flip the whole meaning around, wouldn't want to be in charge of google translate hehe.

Good to have something like that to read though, nice exercise, and it's good when you're "forced" to translate it because reading-comprehensioning is one thing but putting it into words is a whole different beast.
Also I pretend that's me being useful so the rest of my nonsense posts are covered bwahaha~

Lol, totally OT, but in LovePlus mai waifu just said "I'm an Ideaman", you made big in japanese games Ideaman!

Sounds like an excellent way to have your game leak early.

Which reminds me, does anybody here remember that British sci-fi show from the late 70s - Blake's 7? The protagonists' ship computer there used to get online with an uncorking sound (they also had a real acorn on one of the episodes, but that's a different topic). Delicious.

I bloody well do! Adored that series and was heart broken when they killed it off :(.

The ship was called the Liberator and the computer was called Zen. Then of course there was Orac.

Ah, my nerdy teenage years :D.

Confirmed!

Shurayuki

It's always a bit funny to me when people demand analog and people insisting to play Smash with GC controllers (not really related I realize). "Pros" even took out the springs in the GC controllers to get rid of the analogueness for that hehe, of course the GC buttons are just genius though.
As long as the devs tune the "activation timing" I'm fine with analog but I hardly ever had a use for them personally.

If they do it like on steam what does it matter really? Can't start a game until the exe is distributed. (I tried to get my Civ5 to play before it was available in germany, no dice, no exe on the disc) Obviously console games don't work like that but hey, there's the possibility. Besides, downloads don't really take too long if you have good internet, so there shouldn't be a problem for most people, scandinavia I envy you.

wsippel

Banned
Not at all. Everything you download from the eShop is signed and encrypted, locked to your hardware. You can share it, but it's useless on other machines. Even trailers and free DLC are locked. All they'd need to do is to hold back the ticket (unlock key) until launch, which is necessary to actually use the content.

Linkhero1

Glad to hear there will be significant changes to the DRC. I'm just wondering something. Why wouldn't Nintendo give the final model to third parties to work with? Is it because they are afraid of whatever unknown features leaking to the public?

If you're worried about pirates dumping the game onto the internet then you shouldn't be worrying since Nintendo is learning their lesson. 3DS still hasn't been cracked afaik.

Not at all. First of all, everything you download from the eShop is signed and encrypted, locked to your hardware. You can share it, but nobody but you can use it. Even trailers and free DLC are locked. All they'd need to do is to hold back the ticket until launch, which is necessary to actually use the content.
Yeah, I really don't see the problem with this solution. I think they've tested it on many a things this generation, I think it's ready to use for retail releases.

blu

I bloody well do! Adored that series and was heart broken when they killed it off :(.

The ship was called the Liberator and the computer was called Zen. Then of course there was Orac.

Ah, my nerdy teenage years :D.

Confirmed!
*high five*

I spent a couple of minutes trying to recall the name of the ship's computer, but then gave up. Cheers for reminding me. Oh, and Orac was a bloody snot (and devoid of any uncorking sounds either).

BurntPork

Banned

Okay, then.

You know, I wonder what the limit on original eShop content will be. IMO. It needs to be at least 5GB to avoid issues with third-parties. 10GB is ideal, and no limit at all is a pipe dream.

*high five*

I spent a couple of minutes trying to recall the name of the ship's computer, but then gave up. Cheers for reminding me. Oh, and Orac was a bloody snot (and devoid of any uncorking sounds either).

Happy to help :). I do have the advantage of years on you and was a Blakes 7 fanboy [not that that word existed then as far as I know].

Yes but that was why he was so adorable! :) Same voice actor as voiced Zen IIRC.

Anyway, before I get banned for going off topic [sorry] what have I missed in the last few days? I used to avidly read every post in these threads but I just can't afford the time these days :(. If anyone has a handy list of post numbers to check out, as I have seen one kindly Gaffer doing recently, that would be much appreciated! :)

Shurayuki

Happy to help :). I do have the advantage of years on you and was a Blakes 7 fanboy [not that that word existed then as far as I know].

Yes but that was why he was so adorable! :) Same voice actor as voiced Zen IIRC.

Anyway, before I get banned for going off topic [sorry] what have I missed in the last few days? I used to avidly read every post in these threads but I just can't afford the time these days :(. If anyone has a handy list of post numbers to check out, as I have seen one kindly Gaffer doing recently, that would be much appreciated! :)

This thread is the [OT] of Gaming-Age so hehe~
Your best bet is GameplayWhore for that, everybody should like, bookmark his post history and look up his summaries once in a while, he's our track-keeper.

Given the horrible sales and even worse reception, I wonder if Tecmo is going to even bother with the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3. It's definitely the odd man out in that cavalcade of ports announced last year. Does anyone care anymore?

Glass Joe

Glad to hear there will be significant changes to the DRC. I'm just wondering something. Why wouldn't Nintendo give the final model to third parties to work with? Is it because they are afraid of whatever unknown features leaking to the public?

Yeah they're probably afraid of parties like Ubi letting more cats out of the bag. Personally, I think changes might just be aesthetic choices though.

I was youtubing haptic feedback just to get a clearer picture on what it can do and when that kind of tech would reasonably be available on a large scale. The VP of Senseg was stating that they're talking to leading touch-screen manufacturers with very positive results, hoping to have something out by X-mas 2012. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. Surely Nintendo would see the benefit of being able to recognize a pair of buttons on the touch screen without having to look down. Nintendo loves their gimmicks and touch though and this fits in with their philosophy. No clue as to how expensive that kind of tech is though, it could be cost prohibitive.

Ninja Gaiden 3 is the biggest piece of shit I've played all year. It is the opposite of Batman. When that comes out on Wii-U, please don't buy it, people.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If analog triggers are really in, it's a godsend for Project Cars on Wii U.
Given the horrible sales and even worse reception, I wonder if Tecmo is going to even bother with the Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden 3. It's definitely the odd man out in that cavalcade of ports announced last year. Does anyone care anymore?
Has to be canned now. Hopefully they reallocate the resources to bringing over DOA5 instead.

beje

Banned

If you're worried about pirates dumping the game onto the internet then you shouldn't be worrying since Nintendo is learning their lesson. 3DS still hasn't been cracked afaik.

Not even DSi has been completely cracked AFAIK, at least not as far as being able of running pirated games in DSi mode.

DOA5 is a game that would benefit (Tecmo) from NFC stuff.

"Buy these specially made figures of your favorite fighters (girls)! Use them for costumes you can take online!"

Shurayuki

Okay, then.

You know, I wonder what the limit on original eShop content will be. IMO. It needs to be at least 5GB to avoid issues with third-parties. 10GB is ideal, and no limit at all is a pipe dream.

Well all of the DD talk was about retail releases right?
Hmm, since they officially support HDD for Wii U (and full retail download) they might as well not have limits, but bleh. Did we ever get word about the 3DS eshop limit, 2GB seemed to be bogus?
Most games will probably be held small anyways, to release it for 3DS/other handhelds either way I guess.

A lot of the complaints seem to be content related so I think if they released more of an expansion, it could do well(er?).

Zelda to make super adult and dark.

Why does anybody think this is a good idea with anything, ever.

tumblr_lgrho5xqJ11qb0rueo1_400.png

This does not scream "Batman Begins-esque Reboot" to me!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
DOA5 is a game that would benefit (Tecmo) from NFC stuff.

"Buy these specially made figures of your favorite fighters (girls)! Use them for costumes you can take online!"
That would certainly bring in some money. Though I believe such a concept would work even better for a sequel to Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. New swimsuits and stringkinis every week to scan into the game, would probably attract a few weirdos.

Conor 419

Banned
If they done that but gave Retro, Zelda to make super adult and dark would you do it ? :).

I imagine the casual Zelda would use Wind Waker visuals.

Majora's Mask was colourful as fuck, but it had the 'darkest' atmosphere in the series. People need to learn that there's a difference between tragic/emotional/symbolic dark and literal/gritty/grim dark.

Zelda needs more of the former, and it could even manage that with Wind Waker's aesthetic, in fact. It'd be more impressive if they managed it with Wind Waker's aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom