• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
reggie: hmmm it's already in english...it's already in NA....

...but WiiU Party Jam 7 is coming out soon. That should suffice.
*vomits*
Man.. I'd probably be one of those annoying people that calls NoA every day to bug them about an issue. Heck, I've only had the number memorized for 20 years..

ED2 is not one of those games that you trifle with. Grrr...

Deguello

Uh...if they gave NoA the option to localize it and they chose not to then it's clearly both their faults a not solely NCL's or Iwata's fault.

No it's still pretty much NCL's and Iwata's fault. We have established that NCL can force games like Fortune Street onto NOA through a mandate. Thus, NCL has the power to mandate titles. Xenobalde was not mandated by NCL, when they had to power to do so. Thus, being ultimately their final decision and since they have the most authority and power, it is mostly, if not fully their fault.

Imagine an army unit commits an atrocity. It is discovered that the commander gave the order to commit the atrocity. Who is mostly to blame? The soldiers who actually carried out the atrocity, or the commander who commanded them to do so? The soldiers of course, have the option to not commit the atrocity, it's called insubordination and you might get flogged or put in military prison, but they still have that option. However, they do not have the most authority or power in the situation. The commander does. The atrocity would not have happened if he did not command it. This is why Nazi guards got less severe sentences than Nazi commanders.
godwin.

Now obviously it didn't look good for NoA, as obviously the internet reacted like a mob an attacked the nearest target, but that doesn't mean they have the full responsibility or authority. Bashing NOA for decisions beyond their direct control is a meaningless exercise. Better to question the real holders of power.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Putting aside that amazingly inappropriate analogy...
I think NCL have a long history of giving NoA and NoE room to do what they want and trusting that they know what's best for their specific markets. This isn't a terrible strategy until you wind up with a slothful irrelevancy like Reggie's NoA.

I think NCL have a long history of giving NoA and NoE room to do what they want and trusting that they know what's best for their specific markets. This isn't a terrible strategy until you wind up with a slothful irrelevancy like Reggie's NoA.

Yep. Because NoA and NoE seemed to have flip-flopped roles over the years in regards to what gets released.

Linkhero1

No it's still pretty much NCL's and Iwata's fault. We have established that NCL can force games like Fortune Street onto NOA through a mandate. Thus, NCL has the power to mandate titles. Xenobalde was not mandated by NCL, when they had to power to do so. Thus, being ultimately their final decision and since they have the most authority and power, it is mostly, if not fully their fault.

Imagine an army unit commits an atrocity. It is discovered that the commander gave the order to commit the atrocity. Who is mostly to blame? The soldiers who actually carried out the atrocity, or the commander who commanded them to do so? The soldiers of course, have the option to not commit the atrocity, it's called insubordination and you might get flogged or put in military prison, but they still have that option. However, they do not have the most authority or power in the situation. The commander does. The atrocity would not have happened if he did not command it. This is why Nazi guards got less severe sentences than Nazi commanders.
godwin.

Now obviously it didn't look good for NoA, as obviously the internet reacted like a mob an attacked the nearest target, but that doesn't mean they have the full responsibility or authority. Bashing NOA for decisions beyond their direct control is a meaningless exercise. Better to question the real holders of power.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to an army unit. Like other posters have said NCL has given them room to choose and pick games to localize. If Xenoblade was one of them and NoA passed it up, it's now NCL's fault for NoA saying they don't want to localize it? It's NCL's fault for not forcing NoA to localize it? In the end it's the fault of both NCL and NoA and not solely NCL. It doesn't make sense to blame NCL for not forcing localization. I'm sure they trust Reggie with knowing what gamers in his region want but Reggie made that mistake and dismissed the game.

Yep. Because NoA and NoE seemed to have flip-flopped roles over the years in regards to what gets released.

I believe the Wii U will bring them closer to even grounds.
NoA was focusing heavily on one segment of gamers for a long time, but NCL will likely force them to shift their focus back to what we deem the "core gamer."

Deguello

Except that NCL still has the most power and authority and thus the decision is ultimately theirs. If they can force Fortune Street, they can force Xenoblade. They didn't.

I'm glad the analogy is simply subjectively inappropriate and not irrelevant. Armed forces and companies both share a chain of command system and the higher up the chain of command, the more authority and power that position has. Reggie Fils-Aime is under Satoru Iwata. NoA is under NCL. Whenever an unfavorable outcome occurs, whoever invovled had the most power and authority is the one mostly to blame. If it's NOA is allowed a choice by NCL, it's still NCL and their policy at fault because it is NCL's policy to allow that choice when they had the authority to force the game and chose not to.

It's easier to blame NOA. They're closer and they speak English. But that doesn't mean they hold the real power in the equation.

DrWong

NoA was focusing heavily on one segment of gamers for a long time, but NCL will likely force them to shift their focus back to what we deem the "core gamer."
It's their official tactic, so yes I think you're right.

I agree with that. Hopefully that will apply more with the games the that are considered a niche as well. And with the advent of DD, that could make it even easier for them.

that would be for Wii-U Speculation Thread 12 when even on the day of release we still don't know the exact specs of the machine.

XD

,,Core gamer'' most likely means ,,Call of Duty/Halo''-crowd though. Not really hobby gamers that actually know about Xenoblade and shit.
But the crazy rampaging on the internet hopefully taught Reggie a lesson. I'm hoping that next Monolith games might even E3 conference showtime, some marketing and whatnot.

,,Core gamer'' most likely means ,,Call of Duty/Halo''-crowd though. Not really hobby gamers that actually know about Xenoblade and shit.
But the crazy rampaging on the internet will hopefully taught Reggie a lesson. I'm hoping that next Monolith games might even E3 conference showtime, some marketing and whatnot.
they don't have to actively BRING COD and shit here though. It applies to any core game that has to actually have work done in order to be brought here.

Deguello

But the crazy rampaging on the internet hopefully taught Reggie a lesson. I'm hoping that next Monolith games might even E3 conference showtime, some marketing and whatnot.

Nintendo needs to remember that "hardcore" means different things to different people, and if Nintendo only sticks to the "casual" definition of "hardcore" instead of the "hardcore" definition of "hardcore," they might end up confusing people with their intentions.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
NoA 'ultimately had no say'? What a load of crap.
Do you think it was the guiding hand of Iwata that caused NoE to release NPC Pikmin 2 in 2009 and NoA to wait until this coming June?
It's not that NoA has no say, its that NCL has final say. Every unlocalized game is condoned by NCL. If they believed there was a problem (which was suggested when this topic came up) they could change it.

Seeing how NoA under Reggie use to be better with localizations than they are now suggests to me that there is pressure coming from somewhere else causing it... that would almost certainly by NCL. I'd bet exchange rates and profitability are a big part of the problem.

Deguello

I don't think most people have worked in American offices of Japanese companies. If they have they'll have more of an understanding of what you're saying, as my experiences are similar and I've heard it's the general scenario that's played out in most similar companies.

Well I'm glad I'm closer to the truth than most versions of these events. It may not be the popular narrative, but at least it's the correct one.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo needs to remember that "hardcore" means different things to different people, and if Nintendo only sticks to the "casual" definition of "hardcore" instead of the "hardcore" definition of "hardcore," they might end up confusing people with their intentions.
Indeed, I think one of their strongest moves available is to cater to the "core" gamer that feels that their tastes aren't really being catered to.

We can get FPSes anywhere - they're a dime a dozen these days. They're everywhere. But Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania/StarTropics/Kid Icarus/etc-flavored adventure games? A good one is worth its weight in gold, and frankly, I think we don't see nearly enough of them. If Nintendo makes its console THE place to find these types of action-adventure games, I think that such a move would do very well for them.

Same goes for jRPGs, especially the ones that are not turn-based.

I'm convinced: there's a hunger for these games. Nintendo need to jump onto that hunger.

Deguello

Indeed, I think one of their strongest moves available is to cater to the "core" gamer that feels that their tastes aren't really being catered to.

We can get FPSes anywhere - they're a dime a dozen these days. They're everywhere. But Zelda/Metroid/Castlevania/StarTropics/Kid Icarus/etc-flavored adventure games? A good one is worth its weight in gold, and frankly, I think we don't see nearly enough of them. If Nintendo makes its console THE place to find these types of action-adventure games, I think that such a move would do very well for them.

I'm convinced: there's a hunger for these games. Nintendo need to jump onto that hunger.

I say, now I say, that was a joke, son.

BlackJace

I'm convinced: there's a hunger for these games
. Nintendo need to jump onto that hunger.

Nail on the head. It's one of the reasons I await Final Fantasy Versus XIII as my dream game.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1697...urn_to_alternative_entertainment__analyst.php

If this is accurate, then Xenoblade is the 3rd best selling game in the NPD this month!

I have my doubts about it, but if it is, then it dramatically increases the chances of a Xenosomething on the Wii U. Heck, Nintendo greenlit S&P2 after decent VC sales, and they're hurting for sales in America, so solid anything here would make them salivate.

Then again, maybe the message they get will be "We get better sales if we release our games exclusively to one retailer".

(argh, damnit, I have civ4 and housework to do, so stop going so quickly, thread!)

I hope they let Retro Studios make such a game.

I have my doubts about it, but if it is, then it dramatically increases the chances of a Xenosomething on the Wii U.

They are already working on it though. You can only hope that there isn't going to be any localisation drama for it.

Is it weird that I'm totally nervous about being banned?

Especially strange seeing as most people don't even acknowledge my posts anyway. :p

Awaits "Are you new here or something?" joke response

Nearly every single post I make, I assume that it's something stupid that'll get me permed.

Me too, him or Rösti.

Let Rösti handle this one. I'll see if I can do something special for a subsequent one. It'd be my first created thread, so I wouldn't want to be all wimpy and such. Plus, Rö can go into detail in the first post (on stuff like ES OS, for example) in a very informed and technical manner, setting a much more mature start to the new thread than what began this one.

Is it terrible that I like to pretend that his/her last name is "Farian"?

Pociask

Do we really know that Fortune Street was mandated? It seems like just the sort of game NoA would pick up: A monopoly like party game. Mario Party had led the way on showing that video game/board games could sell. Disney had done the same thing with Guilty Party(isn't that like Clue)?

I'm happy to be wrong and pointed to the mandate, but I think it's just as likely that NoA just chose poorly. If it was because of having Dragon Quest characters, where's the release date for Dragon Quest X for Wii for NoA?

I'll add a little speculation nugget to help us close out Episode IV...

Something I've been curious about since the Wii U controller was first shown is the sensor bar on the front. My first thought is that some type of head tracking (through an offset) could be possible, but since the sensor bar is front facing on the controller I'm not exactly sure how that would work. I also suppose some functionality would be possible when using with the Wii Remote, especially if the controller is sitting upright on its dock.

Could the sensor bar on the controller face hold a key to an unannounced feature?

Well, we have discussed that the SDK probably has some functionality for face tracking. People were discussing ideas like (A) telling whether a player is looking at the TV or the controller and dynamically increasing render quality to that output; and (B) letting a game know when you're looking down so it can surprise you with a sneaky monster attack (this sort of thing would definitely happen in a survival horror game at some point if the capability is in place!).

I do also recall people suggesting the camera could be used eye-toy style in dance games when mounted near the TV.

He's right there is only 2 Alien movies ;)

Wait, are we disrepping Aliens or Promethius? I can't tell.

Deguello

Do we really know that Fortune Street was mandated? It seems like just the sort of game NoA would pick up: A monopoly like party game. Mario Party had led the way on showing that video game/board games could sell. Disney had done the same thing with Guilty Party(isn't that like Clue)?

I'm happy to be wrong and pointed to the mandate, but I think it's just as likely that NoA just chose poorly. If it was because of having Dragon Quest characters, where's the release date for Dragon Quest X for Wii for NoA?

We'll probably never see DQX on the Wii in America. Why have that version when you could show the superior Wii U version?

The secret is just not to post anything during E3 conferences. You don't need to. The streams of consciousness threads are too massive anyway, nobody will read anything you say except for the quick and decisive mods.

Maybe there should be a "N-Conf OT: Thread limit by nightfall!!!" thread and a "N-Conf UT: For those who hate the shitstorm" at the same time. Then we can post in the one that only goes at ten posts a minute instead of the one that goes at three hundred a minute.

BurntPork

Banned
We'll probably never see DQX on the Wii in America. Why have that version when you could show the superior Wii U version?

I bet all of the money in my right pocket right now that the Wii U version will be 100% identical to the Wii version, but rendered in 720p.

My pocket might be empty.

I bet all of the money in my right pocket right now that the Wii U version will be 100% identical to the Wii version, but rendered in 720p.

Which from what I've seen would be fine. The Wii version looks great, especially the character models.

Would be nice if they cleaned up the environment textures and whatever foliage models they're using. Maybe add a little AA while they're at it.

The totally nailed Toriyama's art style, closest I've ever seen a game come to nailing a specific artist like that.

how is that even possible?

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1697...urn_to_alternative_entertainment__analyst.php

"EA and BioWare's Mass Effect 3 was the highest-selling game title in the U.S. during April, says the report, followed by Activision's Prototype 2 and Nintendo-published Xenoblade Chronicles."

It sounds like it's not speculating. Nonetheless, your mileage may vary.

Edit: Wait, shouldn't the sequel to "Prototype" be called "Production Model"?

BD1

Banned
Iwata's comments about his disappointment in the US market was definitely corporate speak for "get your shit together, NoA." And you can bet it's nothing Iwata hasn't personally told Reggie before.

You can argue about who ultimately is responsible for localization, but NoA is responsible for sales and marketing. They might not control the hand that's dealt to them, but they're expected to win with it.

Iwata's comments about his disappointment in the US market was definitely corporate speak for "get your shit together, NoA." And you can bet it's nothing Iwata hasn't personally told Reggie before.

You can argue about who ultimately is responsible for localization, but NoA is responsible for sales and marketing. They might not control the hand that's dealt to them, but they're expected to win with it.

I think this is a reason we saw a shift in their HQ as well as a new style of marketing lately.
The Wii U should pick up pretty good if they continue.

My pocket might be empty.
I dunno, the requirement for a full 16GB of storage sounds to me like they've got high res assets in there.

Kacho

Which comments are you refering to specifically?

MisterHero

"EA and BioWare's Mass Effect 3 was the highest-selling game title in the U.S. during April, says the report, followed by Activision's Prototype 2 and Nintendo-published Xenoblade Chronicles."

It sounds like it's not speculating. Nonetheless, your mileage may vary.

Edit: Wait, shouldn't the sequel to "Prototype" be called "Production Model"?
Whaaat. How far behind ME3 and Prototype 2 was Xenoblade?

That's damn impressive if it was 3rd out of all the games released that month (I'm probably reading that wrong though).

Whaaat. How far behind ME3 and Prototype 2 was Xenoblade?

That's damn impressive if it was 3rd out of all the games released that month (I'm probably reading that wrong though).

No, that's basically what he's saying.
NPD would look like this.
1. ME3
2. Prototype 2
3. Xenoblade

Dunno how true that would be, but even making the top 10 would be impressive.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Wii U Speculation Thread V: Wii Unite In Our Plight To Hype Cuz Nintendo's So Tight
MarioRap.gif

lednerg

Wii U Speculation Thread V: Virulent Vermin Vanguarding Vice

EDIT: Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom